* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Amalgamoon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:28 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Hello, everyone! I've been debating with myself for a long time about joining a Sailor Moon forum and eventually worked up the courage to briefly push away my shyness and do it.

Back to the topic~ I watched Sailor Moon on Toonami many years ago, complete with those awful Sailor Says things :| , and I even used to play Sailor Moon during recess with my friends (As embarrassing as that is). But it wasn't until years later that I learned that not only did Sailor Moon originate as a manga, but that a large number of changes were made to the anime I saw. Now, Sailor Moon has a permanent place in my heart. And I love my corny, censored dub. But after becoming a little more familiar with the source material (mostly through wikis), and also watching Sailor Moon Crystal I thought to myself "What went wrong? What went right?"

And that's the question I'm bringing to you fans. If you could combine your favorite parts of the original anime, the manga, and Crystal, what would that look like to you?

For example, here's how it'd go for me (Focusing mostly on season 1)~

1. Like in the manga and Crystal, I want there to be a bit more of an emphasis on the ancient Moon Kingdom. In the anime I grew up with there was hardly any backstory for Queen Beryl and basically nothing at all for her four generals. I'd even go a step beyond and say I'd REALLY like to see a mini-arc or even a movie featuring this time period. Complete with some magical solar system politics (Like... why is each planet giving up their princess to protect this moon girl?), a slow corruption of the generals under Prince Endymion, a glance at the kingdoms on the other planets, and a gigantic war that ends where our normal story begins.

2. Like in the dub I saw I'd want the personalities of the generals to be real. Maybe people will disagree but in my opinion the personalities of these people are very bland in the Manga/Crystal. They're just... generically evil. But I actually LIKED the different personalities shown in the anime I saw. With the exception of Jedite I thought they were really interesting people. Neflite (As it was spelled in my dub) was independent, powerful, intelligent, and started on the path to redemption in a way that not even he fully understood. Zoicite and Malachite seemed very much in it for each other; there's energy stealing, evil, and monsters, but they found a way to fall in love and genuinely care about each other. If it came to it, I could totally see them as a Bonny and Clyde "us against the world" couple.

3. Like in Crystal I'd want the other sailor scouts to feel more important. One of the most tedious things in Sailor Moon to me was how useless everyone but Sailor Moon was. It reminds me of that anime Ronin Warriors where everyone except the main character eventually became just batteries to power up the main character so that HE could be the hero. I'd definitely want some more time focusing on these other characters and demonstrating how even individually they're powerful and fully capable of being independent. I'd want each character to get their own moments of being awesome.

4. This one's a bit more silly... but I wanna see some Moonlight Knight. For no other reason than I think he's neat. I guess I could expand this to say that I'd want more of Darien's (As the mob finally grabs their pitch forks for me using the dub names...) abilities. He is, as debatable as it is, possibly the Sailor Scout of Earth and in the manga and Crystal he demonstrated more powers than he did in the original anime. I'd like to see that more developed. I don't mind him being a mansel in distress... but let's give him a little more.

I'm sorry for the gigantic first post. But I'd love to hear people's thoughts. :cool:

Post subject: Re: Sailor Amalgamoon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Welcome to the forum.I totally agree with you about the Moonlight knight :keke:
There's nothing else i could think about right now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 pm 
inactive
Thank you! Yeah, when I was deciding on my name I couldn't decide on something Moonlight Knight based, or Neflite based... so I smushed 'em together. =P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neflight Knight wrote:
Hello, everyone! I've been debating with myself for a long time about joining a Sailor Moon forum and eventually worked up the courage to briefly push away my shyness and do it.

Back to the topic~ I watched Sailor Moon on Toonami many years ago, complete with those awful Sailor Says things :| , and I even used to play Sailor Moon during recess with my friends (As embarrassing as that is). But it wasn't until years later that I learned that not only did Sailor Moon originate as a manga, but that a large number of changes were made to the anime I saw. Now, Sailor Moon has a permanent place in my heart. And I love my corny, censored dub. But after becoming a little more familiar with the source material (mostly through wikis), and also watching Sailor Moon Crystal I thought to myself "What went wrong? What went right?"

And that's the question I'm bringing to you fans. If you could combine your favorite parts of the original anime, the manga, and Crystal, what would that look like to you?

For example, here's how it'd go for me (Focusing mostly on season 1)~

1. Like in the manga and Crystal, I want there to be a bit more of an emphasis on the ancient Moon Kingdom. In the anime I grew up with there was hardly any backstory for Queen Beryl and basically nothing at all for her four generals. I'd even go a step beyond and say I'd REALLY like to see a mini-arc or even a movie featuring this time period. Complete with some magical solar system politics (Like... why is each planet giving up their princess to protect this moon girl?), a slow corruption of the generals under Prince Endymion, a glance at the kingdoms on the other planets, and a gigantic war that ends where our normal story begins.

2. Like in the dub I saw I'd want the personalities of the generals to be real. Maybe people will disagree but in my opinion the personalities of these people are very bland in the Manga/Crystal. They're just... generically evil. But I actually LIKED the different personalities shown in the anime I saw. With the exception of Jedite I thought they were really interesting people. Neflite (As it was spelled in my dub) was independent, powerful, intelligent, and started on the path to redemption in a way that not even he fully understood. Zoicite and Malachite seemed very much in it for each other; there's energy stealing, evil, and monsters, but they found a way to fall in love and genuinely care about each other. If it came to it, I could totally see them as a Bonny and Clyde "us against the world" couple.

3. Like in Crystal I'd want the other sailor scouts to feel more important. One of the most tedious things in Sailor Moon to me was how useless everyone but Sailor Moon was. It reminds me of that anime Ronin Warriors where everyone except the main character eventually became just batteries to power up the main character so that HE could be the hero. I'd definitely want some more time focusing on these other characters and demonstrating how even individually they're powerful and fully capable of being independent. I'd want each character to get their own moments of being awesome.

4. This one's a bit more silly... but I wanna see some Moonlight Knight. For no other reason than I think he's neat. I guess I could expand this to say that I'd want more of Darien's (As the mob finally grabs their pitch forks for me using the dub names...) abilities. He is, as debatable as it is, possibly the Sailor Scout of Earth and in the manga and Crystal he demonstrated more powers than he did in the original anime. I'd like to see that more developed. I don't mind him being a mansel in distress... but let's give him a little more.

I'm sorry for the gigantic first post. But I'd love to hear people's thoughts. :cool:

I agree with a lot of this and think a series that did such ideas would be awesome. I would add though for Mamoru that him being the Senshi of the Earth is not debatable it is an established fact.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 am 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
I agree with a lot of this and think a series that did such ideas would be awesome. I would add though for Mamoru that him being the Senshi of the Earth is not debatable it is an established fact.

Is it? I'd read that the author said that males literally can not be sailor scouts. Authors are not infallible... I'm also a huge Dragonball fan and that guy is terrible with making claims that contradict his work, and forgetting what he'd previously written. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was false. But I'm curious, do you have a source so I can tell myself that my theory isn't a theory anymore? :happy:

I'm so drawn to the world of Sailor Moon- but I also feel like there's a TON of wasted potential.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:20 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neflight Knight wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Is it? I'd read that the author said that males literally can not be sailor scouts. Authors are not infallible... I'm also a huge Dragonball fan and that guy is terrible with making claims that contradict his work, and forgetting what he'd previously written. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was false. But I'm curious, do you have a source so I can tell myself that my theory isn't a theory anymore? :happy:

I'm so drawn to the world of Sailor Moon- but I also feel like there's a TON of wasted potential.

She said that males can not be SAILOR Senshi. Males can be Senshi of various astrological objects but they are just not called Sailor Senshi. All though this might only apply to the manga as in the anime some of the Phages were male Senshi. Now I know the Phages are not real Senshi in fact they are created from the Starseeds of non Senshi however it could be argued that some male Senshi could be called Sailor etc in the 90s anime or the male Sailors thing could be exclusive to the Phages who knows.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
She said that males can not be SAILOR Senshi. Males can be Senshi of various astrological objects but they are just not called Sailor Senshi. All though this might only apply to the manga as in the anime some of the Phages were male Senshi. Now I know the Phages are not real Senshi in fact they are created from the Starseeds of non Senshi however it could be argued that some male Senshi could be called Sailor etc in the 90s anime or the male Sailors thing could be exclusive to the Phages who knows.

Oh, I hadn't thought of it like that. I took it as a blanket statement... which is surprising. I love to theorize and think about things more in-depth, so I shouldn't've accepted it so easily without thinking about loopholes. =P She could've been referring more to a title or position than anything else.

Makes me think of the Sailor Moon RPG I have. Sort of a D&D-esque tabletop game. But it's HEAVILY based on the 90s anime rather than the manga. In it the male superhero equivalents are called Knights and their powers are based on emotions rather than celestial bodies. In the resource books it uses Tuxedo Mask as an example and says that his theme is Hope. I assume because of all the rose-throwing in the anime accompanied by "You can do it, Sailor Moon!" But the author of these games clearly took some creative liberties.