Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Viz geoblocking DiC/Cloverway material?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
When did Viz start geoblocking US viewing of DiC/Cloverway clips on YouTube, and when did they get the rights to those dubs?

EDIT: Apparently Viz Crystal transformation clips are being geoblocked too now.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

Post subject: Re: Viz geoblocking DiC/Cloverway material?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
redblade7 wrote:
When did Viz start geoblocking US viewing of DiC/Cloverway clips on YouTube, and when did they get the rights to those dubs?

Regardless I don't see why they want to block stuff in the US. Who the hell cares about another crappy 90s reboot unless you can see clips of the story and CGI yourself? There's always Tor and VPN I guess.

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Apparently there's a way around blocked videos. If you replace "tube" with "pak" in the URLs then you can watch them that way through a different site.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
redblade7 wrote:

Viz bought the rights some time ago. DiC became bankrupt a while back and Viz purchased the rights to the franchise, so they aren't keen on letting old fans watch the ones that were watched in the 90s

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
lunar5313 wrote:
Viz bought the rights some time ago. DiC became bankrupt a while back and Viz purchased the rights to the franchise, so they aren't keen on letting old fans watch the ones that were watched in the 90s

Had no idea Viz bought it. As far as I knew, the 90s stuff was rendered an orphan work due to the bankruptcy, and that Naoko Takeuchi had some role in having it stay that way.

You think maybe Viz will start reissuing the 90s stuff when they're done with Stars? As a new Moonie I've only seen clips and episodes on streaming sites when I've wanted to compare things, and the only thing I prefer about DiC/Cloverway is the audio in the transformations. But for people who "grew up with it" I"m sure there's a market for DiC/Cloverway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
my assumption is when viz bought the US license to SM they bought all the rights including the old dubs
I guess because they want their new dub to be the definitive go-to version for SM in English and/or sub
and I suppose the situation with Dic is part of that as well

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
lunar5313 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

Does that mean they own the Toonmakers pilot? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:36 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Toei owns the Toonmakers pilot, so whether or not Viz has the rights to it now depends on whether or not it was included in their contract. Someone should ask Char about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
Prince Rose wrote:
my assumption is when viz bought the US license to SM they bought all the rights including the old dubs
I guess because they want their new dub to be the definitive go-to version for SM in English and/or sub
and I suppose the situation with Dic is part of that as well

God I hope not. DiC wasn't the best Sailor Moon publisher but it was still very important.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:25 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Maybe it's copyright matching the DiC/Cloverway footage with Viz's. I mean, they're both based on the same show even if they are separate dubs.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:48 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
It is not a surprise that much. Disney owns the Stars Wars franchise and has issued players of the old Lucas Arts games warnings not to play music. Viz is doing the same in the sense that they own the rights to Sailor Moon in the US.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi