Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Dub vs Sub:Why do many fans hate on both dubs?
Subbed 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Dubbed 28%  28%  [ 2 ]
Both 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:44 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 10, 2016
Posts: 133
So what I mean by Dub vs Sub, the first part of the question, is which do you prefer (unless you’re like me who likes both), and why. As for the second part of the question, why do many Sailor Moon fans not only hate on the DIC dub, but the Viz dub as well? I’ve seen his type of hate for dubs for several animes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 302
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
Cierra Moon wrote:
So what I mean by Dub vs Sub, the first part of the question, is which do you prefer (unless you’re like me who likes both), and why. As for the second part of the question, why do many Sailor Moon fans not only hate on the DIC dub, but the Viz dub as well? I’ve seen his type of hate for dubs for several animes.


I don't understand this poll, does "Dubbed" mean "I like Viz but not DiC/Cloverway", "Subbed" mean "I hate all dubs", and "Both" mean "I like both DiC/Cloverway and Viz"?

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4331
Speaking me personally I prefer the Viz dub above all as it is uncut on the most part and in a language I can understand. However I prefer the Sub over the DiC and Cloverway dub for the latter two being edited and cut.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
Posts: 1066
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Other: Married to Litacan
MariaTenebre wrote:
Speaking me personally I prefer the Viz dub above all as it is uncut on the most part and in a language I can understand. However I prefer the Sub over the DiC and Cloverway dub for the latter two being edited and cut.

^^^
That's more or less me. I do still have my DiC DVDs bit with Viz now it reigns supreme and the subs are a close second.

_________________
Sailor Moon X, a fanfiction by Chris Sifniotis. Avatar by Sailor DooM.
An upcoming Sailor Moon/Melody's Escape crossover: Usagi's Escape
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
Posts: 2526
Gender: Agender
To answer what I think is the OP's (second) question, some people are fanatical purists and hate any dub simply because it's not the Japanese original.

To answer the first question, I love the Japanese version and the DiC dub equally. They're both entertaining and flawed in their own ways, so watching either version presents a unique experience that is equally wonderful and maddening. The CWi dub of S and SuperS is okay, but I don't have any special fondness for it (the S dub because it was wildly inconsistent and the voice acting wasn't great, and the SuperS dub simply because I'm not fond of that season to begin with).

However, I cannot stand the Viz dub. The voice acting and writing are dreadful. If some fans enjoy the new dub, cool. But it's not for me.

_________________
I will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means Trump! #NotMyPresident

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 10, 2016
Posts: 133
redblade7 wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
So what I mean by Dub vs Sub, the first part of the question, is which do you prefer (unless you’re like me who likes both), and why. As for the second part of the question, why do many Sailor Moon fans not only hate on the DIC dub, but the Viz dub as well? I’ve seen his type of hate for dubs for several animes.


I don't understand this poll, does "Dubbed" mean "I like Viz but not DiC/Cloverway", "Subbed" mean "I hate all dubs", and "Both" mean "I like both DiC/Cloverway and Viz"?


Dubbed- means any dub (Viz or DIC or Cloverway)
Subbed-if you just prefer the original Japanese voices
Both- if you like both sub and dub
That’s the first part of the question


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10028
Location: Embelyon
Why there is no option in the poll to hate all dubs and untranslated originals without any discrimination? :o

_________________
Image
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shoujocity
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo- ... 1128360282


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2112
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
MementoNepenthe wrote:
To answer what I think is the OP's (second) question, some people are fanatical purists and hate any dub simply because it's not the Japanese original. I love the Japanese version and the DiC dub equally. However, I cannot stand the Viz dub. The voice acting and writing are dreadful. If some fans enjoy the new dub, cool. But it's not for me.



Yes, there are some people who are extreme purists espiecially anime fans who love the original Japanese version to the point they outright refuse to that same series in a different language. By the way, MementoNepenthe, I think's great you love the DIC dub.

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 302
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
Cierra Moon wrote:
redblade7 wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
So what I mean by Dub vs Sub, the first part of the question, is which do you prefer (unless you’re like me who likes both), and why. As for the second part of the question, why do many Sailor Moon fans not only hate on the DIC dub, but the Viz dub as well? I’ve seen his type of hate for dubs for several animes.


I don't understand this poll, does "Dubbed" mean "I like Viz but not DiC/Cloverway", "Subbed" mean "I hate all dubs", and "Both" mean "I like both DiC/Cloverway and Viz"?


Dubbed- means any dub (Viz or DIC or Cloverway)
Subbed-if you just prefer the original Japanese voices
Both- if you like both sub and dub
That’s the first part of the question


I went with Dubbed. My only experience is Viz and a few DiC/Cloverway clips (and a DiC episode when I noticed the equivalent in Viz was unusually not for kids, and DiC apparently near completely rewrote it), but from the DiC/Cloverway clips I've seen, I dislike the voice actors, but the music and sound effects were far better than Viz.

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membership
Joined: Sep 16, 2017
Posts: 71
I don't really hate dubs, but I wonder why would anyone prefer it instead of enjoying the original voices.

_________________
Sailor Moon Games Archive | Moonlight Serenity | M-Ch - Anonymous Imageboard | Miskatonic Valley
Mooniecode (1.14.20) SM:5 F:sMo++In+Sa1/2Tx1/2:pF D:aHa>-1/2 X:a200jp+|200xxs+:m14xm O:?d-:?c-:?s?:?o?:a-:h+:?x?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22613
Location: in my Aesthetic
Gender: Male
Other: Enjoy Yourself
I say watch the version you like most if it's dic or cwi fine if it's viz great, sub? absolutely

Every fan is different and has their own taste so what if it's not the same as your own or the majority, you have your favorite and they have their's no need to force others to like one over the other because of popular opinion.

Me? I love the sub most but I like viz dic and cwi too

_________________
Image
Saint Pepsi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3354
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
I think fans should support one another.

"Like the VIZ dub?" "Oh, I am so happy you have a dub you like!"

"Like the Dic dub?" "Okay, I don't like it, but I will sign a petition and try to convince a distributor to release it."

"Don't like dubs?" "Well, you can watch the show in Japanese!"

"Do you like Crystal?" "I really hope we get more information about the films soon."

"Don't like Crystal?" "Well, you don't have to watch it!"

It is simple like that.

_________________
Visit Clow's shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:34 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
User avatar
Months of membership
Joined: Sep 14, 2017
Posts: 31
Location: Trampa, Florida
Gender: Goddess
I personally grew up with the DIC/ Cloverway dubs and so I will always have a small soft spot for them, but I also immensely dislike them because of the alterations to the storyline, the name changes and the censorship, and I feel like something is always lost with a dub, unless they change the wording which also changes the story. Plus I don't like the way Dic (and the merchandise that went along with the Dic dub) kind of tried to change it into something slightly more bubble-gummy and American- I can't quite articulate this but I hope that gave a general idea of what I mean lol. I also really don't like ''Sailor Scouts'' as opposed to Sailor Guardians or Sailor Soldiers. 'Scout' kind of makes it childish, whereas I see them as definitely being Guardians or Soldiers.

ONE thing I will give the Dic dub is that I really loved Moon's transformation/attack music! The Japanese transformation music is iconic and I wouldn't want to change it, but it's also pretty cheesy imo. Dic nailed it on their music.

Haven't even watched the Viz dub (though I did accidentally rent the R Movie on Amazon without realizing it was the Dub and I immediately canceled the purchase- and I'm now looking for all of the old DVDs so that I can watch them subbed) so I can't say much to that, but the little bit I did see was cringey for me.

I just really don't enjoy dubs and would much rather have subtitles in the original language, but I don't fault people for enjoying dubs!

_________________
Image


Last edited by Serena-Hime on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 302
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
Serena-Hime wrote:
I also really don't like ''Sailor Scouts'' as opposed to Sailor Guardians or Sailor Soldiers. 'Scout' kind of makes it childish, whereas I see them as definitely being Guardians or Soldiers.


"Sailor Scout" makes more sense in English than "Sailor Soldier" does.

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
User avatar
Months of membership
Joined: Sep 14, 2017
Posts: 31
Location: Trampa, Florida
Gender: Goddess
redblade7 wrote:
Serena-Hime wrote:
I also really don't like ''Sailor Scouts'' as opposed to Sailor Guardians or Sailor Soldiers. 'Scout' kind of makes it childish, whereas I see them as definitely being Guardians or Soldiers.


"Sailor Scout" makes more sense in English than "Sailor Soldier" does.


Care to elaborate? I'm not really talking about specific meanings, I just think 'scout' sounds vaguely childish and less serious than Soldier/Guardian, but maybe that's just because i always think of Boy/GirlScouts or some kind of messenger. :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 302
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
Serena-Hime wrote:
redblade7 wrote:
Serena-Hime wrote:
I also really don't like ''Sailor Scouts'' as opposed to Sailor Guardians or Sailor Soldiers. 'Scout' kind of makes it childish, whereas I see them as definitely being Guardians or Soldiers.


"Sailor Scout" makes more sense in English than "Sailor Soldier" does.


Care to elaborate? I'm not really talking about specific meanings, I just think 'scout' sounds vaguely childish and less serious than Soldier/Guardian, but maybe that's just because i always think of Boy/GirlScouts or some kind of messenger. :lol:


The two words "Sailor Soldier" combined just sounds silly in spoken English. A "scout" is a position in the navy, and there are "soldiers" and "sailors" in the navy as well.

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
User avatar
Months of membership
Joined: Sep 14, 2017
Posts: 31
Location: Trampa, Florida
Gender: Goddess
redblade7 wrote:

The two words "Sailor Soldier" combined just sounds silly in spoken English. A "scout" is a position in the navy, and there are "soldiers" and "sailors" in the navy as well.


Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I never associate the navy with Sailor Moon ( despite the inspiration in the costumes) so it doesn't sound weird in my head.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 302
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
Serena-Hime wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

The two words "Sailor Soldier" combined just sounds silly in spoken English. A "scout" is a position in the navy, and there are "soldiers" and "sailors" in the navy as well.


Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I never associate the navy with Sailor Moon ( despite the inspiration in the costumes) so it doesn't sound weird in my head.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ailor_fuku

Quote:
The sailor fuku (セーラー服 sērā fuku, Sailor outfits) is a common style of uniform worn by female middle school students, traditionally by high school students, and occasionally, elementary school students. It was introduced as a school uniform in 1920 in Heian Jogakuin (平安女学院)[4] and 1921 by the principal of Fukuoka Jo Gakuin University (福岡女学院),[5] Elizabeth Lee. It was modeled after the uniform used by the British Royal Navy at the time, which Lee had experienced as an exchange student in the United Kingdom.

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dub vs Sub:Why do some fans hate on the dubs (both)?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
User avatar
Months of membership
Joined: Sep 14, 2017
Posts: 31
Location: Trampa, Florida
Gender: Goddess
redblade7 wrote:
Serena-Hime wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

The two words "Sailor Soldier" combined just sounds silly in spoken English. A "scout" is a position in the navy, and there are "soldiers" and "sailors" in the navy as well.


Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I never associate the navy with Sailor Moon ( despite the inspiration in the costumes) so it doesn't sound weird in my head.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ailor_fuku

Quote:
The sailor fuku (セーラー服 sērā fuku, Sailor outfits) is a common style of uniform worn by female middle school students, traditionally by high school students, and occasionally, elementary school students. It was introduced as a school uniform in 1920 in Heian Jogakuin (平安女学院)[4] and 1921 by the principal of Fukuoka Jo Gakuin University (福岡女学院),[5] Elizabeth Lee. It was modeled after the uniform used by the British Royal Navy at the time, which Lee had experienced as an exchange student in the United Kingdom.


Thanks, I actually knew that though lol- I said despite that, I don't go straight to 'navy' when I think of Sailor Moon/ Sailor Soldiers, so the term doesn't come out strange to me. The outfit is inspired by a school uniform, which was inspired by navy uniforms- it's so far removed from the original concept/meaning, now being something associated with being cute/being a teenager, that I don't find it strange to say ''Sailor Soldier''- unless the Sailor Soldiers are actually in the navy. :lol: 'Sailor' is a reference to the outfit, 'Soldier' is what they are- at least in my mind.

Edited for further clarification.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 4 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator