Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
While I'm proud to be a Sailor Moon fan, unfortunately I'm not a fan of being in this fandom sometimes. Here are some reasons why:

WARNING: THIS RANT WILL CONTAIN SOME MATURE CONTENT IN IT. READER DISCRETION ADVISED.


Hey everyone. I know this journal may seem a bit random coming from a big Sailor Moon fan such as myself, but I've slowly come to realize that the Sailor Moon fandom overall isn't the nicest fandom I've ever been in, and while I do like being in it, it sadly it has its problems too. This is a list of what in my opinion are the five worst things about the Sailor Moon fandom. Now these are all my opinions, so if you must disagree, please do so respectfully.

5. A good amount of the comments on this movie which is one of the best fan films I've ever seen (and it's got mostly positive reception too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNOMgaAHYSw

I mean look at some of the stupid cyberbullies with their comments, they are easily some of the worst part of the 90's anime fanbase. And considering most of them have little to no subscribers, I am concluding all of those bullies/haters are either trolls/attention whores or nitpicky rabid SM fanboys/fangirls who are just jealous and want attention because they have either
A. No videos and lack the talent to make a good video themselves
B. Little or no subscribers


4. Some Sailor Moon doujinshi I've read. I've read regular ones and even hentai ones, some of the latter I will admit: I actually really liked, like ones called A-Zone, Arafour Cosplayer Ingo Yuwaaku, Mun Mun Princess, Revenge, and Rose Water. And to be honest, I can understand someone being attracted to a Sailor Moon character sans Chibi Moon and Saturn because this whole thing with making anime characters look older than they should is common, anime in a way is an escapist fantasy, and the Sailor Soldiers are more supposed to be portrayed like adult women rather than teenagers.

Heck, even if you look at other anime like Saint Seiya, Shiryu for example, looks like he's a really muscular 20 or 30 something year old yet he's only 14 too. I mean that's just what I think. Anyways, I'm off topic here.

But then there are ones I don't like, mainly ones with, to put it lightly, violation. And what's just as irritating is a majority of ones that have that actually have some excellent/beautiful artwork, to the point where it's very similar disgusting fetish "artists" you see (like in DeviantCringe's recent videos) that waste their talent on gross disgusting stuff like that (no offense to anyone in particular). If you want to read any doujinshi Sailor Moon ones, here's one tip: don't even bother with the ones by the group "BLACK DOG" as all of them have that, the only good one they actually even did was called HEAVEN'S DOOR, which had a funny parody of G Gundam's "Flying in the Sky" opening (though I disagree with them thinking S just showed the Inners studying when it wasn't just that). Don't even get me started on ones with Hotaru/Chibi-Usa and all the shotacon and lolicon ones (anyone who likes/draws those, be ashamed of yourself you're a bunch of filthy pedos)...that's the reason I liked a lot of those other doujinshis: they had none of that stuff.

3. Manga purists. They just overhype the manga and act like it's the best thing of Sailor Moon ever but they don't even acknowledge other versions of Sailor Moon at all or treat them with respect or something, like the original anime. If it wasn't for that, we would have no big franchise named Sailor Moon, you could say (I know if we had no manga we would have no Sailor Moon too). I mean, the manga has good stuff, and I know that not all manga fans are like this (I even have some friends who prefer it too) but the purists just annoy me. Plus they don't even come up with some flaws the manga has, like how can the Sailors just fly? One person claimed supposedly that it just "showed they were more powerful in the manga than the anime" but that was way too vague and just sounds like a a lame excuse, which ties into #2:

2. (This is a major one) Sailor Moon fans who whine that the Sailors (mostly the Inners) in the 90's were "useless/powerless (from season 2/3 onwards)". No offense to anyone in particular, but my God, this, along with a certain other point, are the absolute worst part of the Sailor Moon fandom I've seen! I know that people have their own opinions, but these people are so annoying and irritating! The problem is it's like I always see this whenever I look at stuff on the Inner Senshi on Youtube or something! :x

Whenever they think the Inners were "useless/look weak/less powerful as time went on", most of the time they whine and moan about it (and if you don't believe me, look at comments here: https://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoi ... bdw03c010c). I cannot even look at most videos showing the Inners' Super Attacks or any of their attacks without seeing at least one person whining about it. And most of the time from what I've seen, whenever they complain they only base it on one scene and don't even give any actual reasonings, just vague statements again and again, and the way they state it, it's actually to the point where I wonder if we even saw the same show or not, or if I can take them seriously at all, as the Inners were not useless all throughout the series and their attacks worked most of/a good amount of time and even if at times they didn't work or they got overpowered they still were doing something and didn't give up or just stand around like in Crystal (and when Crystal came that made things worse in a way). :x Here are some examples:

One idiot said in the scene when Mercury and Uranus got hit by their attacks in Stars: "Why do the senshi always just stand there when their attacks are reflected? Can they not dodge them, or cancel them out with another? Also, what does Nehelenia mean by "kill you poorly?"" And 3 other people upvoted his comment.

I replied: "They don't just stand there all the time, they have dodged them in the past... -____-" (and they actually have dodged attacks besides fighting back) and I got none. :x

One person claimed for one episode with Venus: "I'm mad the producers made her seem weak" when we saw her attack work in other episodes? :?

People claim the Inners' Super Attacks looked "less powerful/weak" but they still looked strong to me, like Mercury's Aqua Rhapsody, it packed more of a punch than Shine Aqua Illusion (cool attack), and if that was the case why were the Inners kicking butt in a good amount of episodes?

Some people think the Inners were "useless since season one ended" which to me is a stupid opinion. One person thought they should have been axed in R and though I'm gonna sound very harsh here, I'm just gonna say it: in my opinion, whoever thought something like this never even deserves to be called a Sailor Moon fan in the first place. :x:x:x

One person even claimed (this was one person who unfortunately fell into the "Crystal Defender Fever", was the user who sexually harassed someone and made me unsub her and block her because of that) that the Inners' attacks in the SuperS movie (Mercury and Jupiter's Aqua Rhapsody/Oak Evolution and Jupiter and Venus' Supreme Thunder and Love Me Chain) didn't work and with the former "made no sense" as the candies were "not affected at all", which actually made no sense because we saw them get hit and turn into candies before turning back, so technically the attacks did work, but the enemies just regenerated. And I used to like this user as she made cool fan animations (Spongebob and Sailor Moon ones) but started to slowly dislike her when she just started whining with stuff like that (I know it's opinions but that's how it came off to me). And now after what she's said there, she's now one of my most hated users of all time. :x

Don't go on Pretty Soldier Project, they claimed the Inners "didn't do anything" in episode 124 (vs the Undifferentiated/Ooze Daimons when they clearly did).

There was one idiot I remember who claimed the Inners "forgot to attack" when they didn't, and one of her friends was a hypocrite by claiming I got mad at her for her opinion but they said "a lot of what she said is true, as much as it hurts". So you're saying it's her opinion, opinions being subjective, but then say that what she's saying is a "fact" and not an opinion? Dummy/hypocrite.

And when one person who was moaning and groaning saying "I cannot believe how USELESS the Inners are in Stars! Even in the manga they're useless!!" asked I provided points where the Inners' attacks worked in Stars and I did episode by episode, and said I didn't want to turn it into an argument, they just brushed it away by saying "They are useless. And if you didn't want an argument why did you bring it up in the first place? End of discussion".

What a jerk, amirite? Just like how on this "Unicorn of War" blogspot my opinions of disagreeing got brushed away too, and their "What Was Wrong with 90's Sailor Moon" article had the same shitty thing also. I correctly pointed out to that ☹ that she was the one who asked me to provide the points and then ended it too and blocked her (and had it happened like right now, I'd have said something like "You asked me to provide points, but since you're apparently just a little Miss Snotty who clearly doesn't like reading words and opinions that aren't her own, just like what you said, what was it? End of discussion, yeah, that's what it was. Have a nice day.") :x

The comment by some dummy named Kagereneko pissed me off too along with 20 other idiots voting it up (there's also some other guy whom I quickly have disproved with links and he doesn't like reading stuff that aren't his own): https://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoi ... _vq8i24D0A
I only looked at the first reply here before I quit this stupid topic too (just copy and paste the link into the browser thing) and there's another shitty one too:
http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=28361
sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23198&p=682229

I mean, my God, no wonder Youtube's comments' section is considered a cesspool...and how annoying is this if I want to look up stuff on the Inner Senshi and I keep running into ☹ like this? See what I mean? I'm afraid it's turning into like how during the popularity of the Go!Animate Grounded Video franchises people couldn't go onto GoAnimate without seeing at least one of those videos!

And don't get me started on the comments by the person "Tohya" here, especially when he claims what he says was "true"; by the way it sounds, I think he's Tim Jones from THEM Anime (who reviewed S horribly) under another name (if it's not him them I apologize ahead of time): http://www.toonzone.net/forums/thread
http://www.toonzone.net/forums/thread

Even though I don't hate THEM as much as I did back then (still do not like it and don't think that reviewer is that good of a reviewer) it still is annoying. Some of the other comments on there I don't necessarily agree with also, but whatever. And if Tim supposedly thought the show "went downhill when Ikuhara took over", then why did he claim that Sailor Moon was a "series he otherwise liked" in his shitty Stars review? Goes to show how in my opinion there goes all his credibility...back on topic though.

Reading comments like those after I've especially dealt with one idiot who when I provided points to disagree with/prove this foolish claim of his that the Inners in Crystal were somehow more powerful/useful in there (they're not, they're useless and weak unlike the 90's version), dismissed my points quickly, laughed in my face claiming I threw my own ones out the window and was like "whatever helps you sleep at night, lol *insert stupid laughing emoji face*", which can be found here: https://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoi ... 0mkcQFiyWA

Whenever I read stuff like this, I always think of that scene in Lion King with Scar going "I'm surrounded by idiots"... :|


Ugh...now moving onto an honorable/dishonorable mention:

Dishonorable mention:
Rabid fans of the DiC/Cloverway dubs. The reason I bring them up is because unfortunately you can see them whining on stuff like the IGN preview of the Viz dub of Sailor Moon R the Movie. Now I know everyone has a preference or such, but look at the Youtube comments on there, even one of them was saying "I'm sick all these redubs/leave my childhood alone". Um, I don't like the DiC version as much as most other Sailor Moon fans but, you can still go back to watch it, buddy. It's annoying but small compared to other stuff.


Now onto #1.

1. The Sailor Moon Crystal fandom (side)/Pride Side (or rather the rabid ones). From my experience, they are one of, if not the, worst fandoms in anime, the worst part of the Sailor fandom and a complete disgrace. I have met some very nice people in it, but sadly they are just a shining tiny flickering light in a sea of stupidness, toxicity and drama. Reasons why:

A. They are overly obsessed with the Sailor Moon manga/Crystal to the point where if one hates Crystal or doesn't think the manga is all that great, they become toxic.

B. They disrespect opinions most of, if not all the time. If you say stuff like "I hate Crystal/the animation is bad/the anime is better than the manga/90's better than Crystal", even saying "I think" or anything to let people know it's their opinions, they will harass you, rage at you, block you (one person threatened to block me because of me providing criticism), make false, slanderous claims you're "not a (true/real) Sailor Moon fan/blinded by nostalgia goggles", give you a half-@$$ed warning or half-@$$ed excuse for Crystal's flaws, and treat you like an idiot just because you hate what they love. Also, if you love what the Pride Siders hate (90's anime) they will attempt on forcing you to hate it, and if you hate what the Pride Siders love (Crystal) they will attempt on forcing you to love it.

C. They hate on the 90's anime for stupid reasons, to the point where I wonder if they hate it just because there are fans who love it and hate Crystal. I remember mentioning how I thought the plot with the Inners/Outers was contrived in Crystal and one person replied to me claiming "The Outers always loved the Inners (how do we know that?) and it was better than the contrived version of the 90's version" and I remember seeing one person when comparing the 90's transformation to Crystal, they were just putting down the original just so Crystal could look better in comparison, that's what it is a lot of the time, they just fanboy/fangirling over Crystal and hating the original for no reason.

D. They are butthurt; they rage in caps lock, lowercase letters or regular letters a whole lot and the way some of them act, it looks like some of them never hit puberty.

E. A lot of them are so immature, most of them seem to be 18+, but they act like childish 2-9 year old kids.

F. They threaten you. Whenever you have a different opinion or prefer a certain series, they will send you death threats, violence threats, "not fan/nostalgia" threats, and in the case of that animator I mentioned (if you want the name I'll give it)


That's all I gotta say. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, as in real life I'm nice, outgoing and try to give stuff a chance (I tried to give Crystal a chance and though I hated seasons 1-2 I like season 3 but prefer Sailor Moon S) but ever since Crystal came out this is how I've been feeling most of the time and I just wanted to let some frustrations off my chest.

What do you think, agree? Disagree? Please let me know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 pm 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 1679
Hai. Another Anti Moonie here. I agree with you after reading what you said. I started a Tumblr dealing with Sailor Moon OCs, I got some nasty comments because I was critiquing horrible characters that felt a bit Sueish. It's also my most watched Tumblr.

Anyways, I saw cesspool of fans over here. Some may like shipping themselves with the senshi. Others will go after Viz Media to harass the editor on the first print of Sailor Moon Manga, because it's not as brilliant translated like the fans does it. Then we get others going at each other throats because of Crystal not revamping new interest in Sailor Moon, even attacking the creator for milking her fans.

At least the mods are civil and try not to pull it as a place for teh dramu. Anyways, your post is greatly appreciated. I like to hear out more frustrations so we can work on making this being an enjoyable board for us.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
SailorSpySedna wrote:
What do you think, agree? Disagree? Please let me know.

I applaud the efforts you invested into composing that monumental rant. I hope somebody in this forum can read thoroughly all the numerous discussions you mentioned and produce equally argumentative response your post undoubtedly deserves. :clap:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3533
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
Maraviollantes wrote:
I applaud the efforts you invested into composing that monumental rant.


I think you are secretly jealous because your rants, though eloquent and cauldroned (by yourself), were never as lengthy as that of the above poster. :clap:

_________________
Visit Clow's shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:33 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
Clow wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
I applaud the efforts you invested into composing that monumental rant.


I think you are secretly jealous because your rants, though eloquent and cauldroned (by yourself), were never as lengthy as that of the above poster. :clap:

You are right. :blue:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:17 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3533
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
Maraviollantes wrote:
You are right. :blue:


Oh, I am always right, Sir. :o

_________________
Visit Clow's shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
Yinggirl wrote:
Hai. Another Anti Moonie here. I agree with you after reading what you said. I started a Tumblr dealing with Sailor Moon OCs, I got some nasty comments because I was critiquing horrible characters that felt a bit Sueish. It's also my most watched Tumblr.

Anyways, I saw cesspool of fans over here. Some may like shipping themselves with the senshi. Others will go after Viz Media to harass the editor on the first print of Sailor Moon Manga, because it's not as brilliant translated like the fans does it. Then we get others going at each other throats because of Crystal not revamping new interest in Sailor Moon, even attacking the creator for milking her fans.

At least the mods are civil and try not to pull it as a place for teh dramu. Anyways, your post is greatly appreciated. I like to hear out more frustrations so we can work on making this being an enjoyable board for us.


Thanks. I'm not really an Anti Moonie, per say, I still try to stay with some good fans I know, I like looking at fan stuff (the fan video games, for example), and I know a lot of nice Sailor Moon fans, but I am an Anti-Pride Sider. :neutral:

I wouldn't blame Naoko at all for Crystal being like that, we don't even know what she thinks of it, I'd more blame Toei for screwing up and dropping the ball (and the cesspool Pride Siders to me).

Some people actually ship themselves with some Sailors? I don't know what to say, except while I did have a crush on Ami/Mercury the first time I saw her and I wish I could be a boyfriend to Venus/Minako (I know she's fictional), I'd never do anything like that at all. :shocked:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:29 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 31, 2009
Posts: 651
SailorSpySedna wrote:
The Sailor Moon Crystal fandom (side)/Pride Side (or rather the rabid ones). From my experience, they are one of, if not the, worst fandoms in anime, the worst part of the Sailor fandom and a complete disgrace. I have met some very nice people in it, but sadly they are just a shining tiny flickering light in a sea of stupidness, toxicity and drama.

You hit the nail on the head. The hardcore Crystal fans (particularly the season 1-2 fans) are literary the worst part of this fandom. They're insufferable for all of the reasons you mentioned. You can never have a reasonable and fair-minded discussion with them. It's frustrating, I know, but don't let it you get down. They may be vocal and loud but, trust me, they're not the majority. So, just ignore them. Don't waste your time and energy on these toxic people. Don't let them impact your mental health. There are plenty of other fans who are great and will treat you with kindness and respect. The good thing about the fandom, any fandom, is that they're not a hive mind. There may be trends and popular beliefs, but fandoms are comprised by different people with different views, values, and ideas so you can always find like-minded people.

_________________
Worst episode of '90s Sailor Moon >>>>> Best episode of Sailor Moon CrystalImage
Sailor Moon Crystal is the Donald Trump of anime


Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
SailorSpySedna wrote:
I'd more blame Toei for screwing up and dropping the ball...

Twenty years ago fans were blaming Toei already for screwing and ruining BSSM. In twenty years from now fans still will blame Toei. :orangeghost:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1799
A Sailor Moon fan committing sexual harassment is the main thing I would be concerned about and that kind of horrible action should definitely be purged from the fandom. As long as someone isn't being a jerk or picking on other fans, I don't really care what their favorite version of the show is or fandom arguments about interpretations of the characters in the adaptations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:29 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6873
Location: Philippines
I just learned how to ignore them. :innocent:

Had this one :usagi: fan from another now defunct :usagi: forum who was arrogant and argumentative to everyone he disagreed with. He was a also a deviant artist who was complaining about how he was not getting enough feedback from people. When you give this person critique he'll take it as an offense. So basically he was just fishing for compliments to supplement his ego.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1799
Hyper partisans and disrespectful fans are a problem on any side of an issue in any fandom. All you can do is find the people you're most comfortable hanging out with and try to ignore the people you're not comfortable with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3533
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
Sailor Moon is one of the most confusing things I have came across in my life.

Sailor Moon Crystal fans, particularly, are the ones who confuse me the most. There are fans who only approve the first 2 seasons and fans who only approve the 3rd season... and these fans sometimes have heated arguments over which season had the best concept.

I stopped caring a long time ago. :o

_________________
Visit Clow's shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1799
It's not like this forum is full of perfect saints.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22664
Location: in my Aesthetic with Usagi
Gender: Male
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
I don't hate this fandom I've see it at it's best yet I do understand the frustration it gives now and again
purists kinda have this habit of not letting anyone enjoy non canon parts of sm or always correcting like there's a quota to fill

there's the sub vs dub debates crystal vs 90s debates manga vs 90s debates for every love for a version sm has there's just as much who are opposite about it

but fandoms in general are like this sm just seems worse because the fandom is divided in groups depending on the version

it's hard for all to agree on something

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:02 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
Sailor Starlight wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The hardcore Crystal fans (particularly the season 1-2 fans) are literary the worst part of this fandom. They're insufferable for all of the reasons you mentioned. You can never have a reasonable and fair-minded discussion with them. It's frustrating, I know, but don't let it you get down. They may be vocal and loud but, trust me, they're not the majority. So, just ignore them. Don't waste your time and energy on these toxic people. Don't let them impact your mental health. There are plenty of other fans who are great and will treat you with kindness and respect. The good thing about the fandom, any fandom, is that they're not a hive mind. There may be trends and popular beliefs, but fandoms are comprised by different people with different views, values, and ideas so you can always find like-minded people.


Thanks and no worries, it's been easier to not let them bother me as their behavior has mostly died down now it seems, but yeah, it got to the point where I wrote some stressful journal in DA and they made my passion for the manga nearly disappear (I still like the manga but unfortunately it didn't age well for me compared to the anime).

And yeah, the entirety of SuperS is better than Crystal, even Sailor Moon hentai parodies are better.

Maraviollantes wrote:
SailorSpySedna wrote:
I'd more blame Toei for screwing up and dropping the ball...

Twenty years ago fans were blaming Toei already for screwing and ruining BSSM. In twenty years from now fans still will blame Toei. :orangeghost:


Sadly people never will get pleased. I felt for the original anime (probably only rabid manga fans were whining in this case) Toei improved Sailor Moon and made it great, but this Toei is not the same as they were back then.

Neon Genesis wrote:
A Sailor Moon fan committing sexual harassment is the main thing I would be concerned about and that kind of horrible action should definitely be purged from the fandom. As long as someone isn't being a jerk or picking on other fans, I don't really care what their favorite version of the show is or fandom arguments about interpretations of the characters in the adaptations.


Agreed, I say they never deserved to be called a fan in the first place (along with some people who thought the Inners should have been axed after Classic, yes, there was at least one person who thought that). I reported them (it was on Youtube and Youtube didn't even take it down) and nothing happened. If you want to see it, it was on this comment chain here (that Sailor Sedna person is me and I sounded really harsh, even saying "cancerous" at one point because I was shocked at how they were acting and in sheer and utter disbelief, and yeah, I'm not a perfect Saint myself and I tend to anger easily): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLHjyjFqdU

It's sad, she used to do these Spongebob/Sailor Moon animations I thought were cool, and I thought she was nice, but it was not to be. :cry:

rgveda99 wrote:
Had this one :usagi: fan from another now defunct :usagi: forum who was arrogant and argumentative to everyone he disagreed with. He was a also a deviant artist who was complaining about how he was not getting enough feedback from people. When you give this person critique he'll take it as an offense. So basically he was just fishing for compliments to supplement his ego.


I wonder who that person was, never heard of anyone like that. I'm also a Deviant artist (do decent drawings but I need to improve) yet I'd never do anything like that at all (I try not to have an ego and I can accept criticism like a man).

Prince Rose wrote:
I don't hate this fandom I've see it at it's best yet I do understand the frustration it gives now and again
purists kinda have this habit of not letting anyone enjoy non canon parts of sm or always correcting like there's a quota to fill


Concerning canon for Sailor Moon, I just see the manga/anime as two different canons/universes, manga canon and anime canon, but that's another thing that irritates about the anime community in general, they try to think only the manga is canon but I think a good amount of it is an excuse for them to bash on an anime that they hate for changing things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 349
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
I've never heard of all this horrible stuff, good thing I hadn't discovered Sailor Moon/Crystal until 2014-2015 or so. This makes me untainted by nostalgia, so I really can't understand any of these debates. To me Crystal is just a more serious show marketed to an adult audience rather than a younger audience. This also makes me immune to being upset about the whole condom and menstrual pad thing, I recently discussed this in another thread.

This is the only Sailor Moon specific site that I visit, and I'm very happy with it.

Since last year, there were only three problems I ran into with Sailor Moon:

* On SailorMoonForum.com, things got a little heated when people were debating politics (I think it was a discussion of LGBT rights issues or political correctness) and I was like "Just have fun and enjoy the show!"
* I attempted to sign up for another Sailor Moon site (Galaxy Cauldron Forums), which has lots of bizarre rules including but not limited to a "newbie packet." 2-3 posts and only a week later I already violated 6 of these rules, and requested account deletion immediately to avoid future trouble.
* Some problems finding a place to host my AMV (Vimeo accepted it as well as animemusicvideos.org, YouTube which allows the song demands my phone number every time I try and sign up, and DailyMotion apparently changed their policies at some point and only accepts G-rated 100% original content). As for the video end of things, and whether it had anything to do with the DailyMotion ban, Viz seems to have the most inconsistent and unpredictable copyright policies, allowing some things but not others, and misusing their distribution rights to shut down English language material which they don't own or have no connection to, and apparently subtitled 3-minute clips now. That gets me very angry, especially since I believe in abolishing copyright law completely.

Your post also reminds me of something. One time SMF user SailorHaumea and I were talking either on Discord or IRC and at some point I said that Ami was popular because she is "the cute one" and she said "she's not the cute one, she's the smart one!" But it was just fun chit-chat, it was not hostile like the examples you gave, and I'm sure if it wasn't SailorHaumea or any SMF user but instead someone involved with any of the social circles you mentioned it would turn into a nasty political debate.

In conclusion, I will say what I said before on SMF that ticked off a number of people, "stop worrying about politics, just have fun and enjoy the show!"

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:18 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
I don't think Crystal feels like a good show targeted for adults because they toned down the violence and such and butchered certain scenes in the manga, and made it feel very immature and more childish than the original anime was (which it wasn't minus SuperS to me).

Sorry to hear those things happened to you. I once got a Community Guideline Strike myself for ranting on one of said terrible Crystal fans who insulted me because of an avatar I had at the time and told me "go back to school" ("I've already graduated and have a job you idiot" is what I still say to her :x), she was 23 years old I remember but she acted like a snotty 6 year old the way she was moaning in the comments.

Screw copyright and politics in general, they're two things that make it hard for one to enjoy something they love. And I don't know who in the blue moon decided to do those condoms and menstrual pads, I mean, I kinda get what they're trying to do, but why not just make new Sailor Moon dolls or reproductions of old ones for collectors! I dunno if they sold well, I heard only new merchandise based on the old anime sold well...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:47 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2266
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
Prince Rose wrote:
I don't hate this fandom I've see it at it's best yet I do understand the frustration it gives now and again
purists kinda have this habit of not letting anyone enjoy non canon parts of sm or always correcting like there's a quota to fill

there's the sub vs dub debates crystal vs 90s debates manga vs 90s debates for every love for a version sm has there's just as much who are opposite about it

but fandoms in general are like this sm just seems worse because the fandom is divided in groups depending on the version

it's hard for all to agree on something


I agree with you so much, Rose. I love the manga, 90's anime (sub), PGSM (my favorite version), and the 90's DiC dub. I have lukewarm feelings towards Crystal. How about we ALL agree that no version of Sailor Moon is 100% flawless?

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 1679
FloraKiraraHime wrote:

I agree with you so much, Rose. I love the manga, 90's anime (sub), PGSM (my favorite version), and the 90's DiC dub. I have lukewarm feelings towards Crystal. How about we ALL agree that no version of Sailor Moon is 100% flawless?


This. Hell, I’m the anti Moonie that enjoys SuperS, and a lot of fans hated that series. I say Stars was bad, due to the fact most of Tokyo was wiped out during Galaxia vs. Senshi fights and I maybe kinda pissed off with Moon letting Galaxia go freely. There was no crystal healing the city and it Usagi not really getting the harsh realities of war.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Posts: 349
Location: Planet Nemesis
Gender: Male
Other: The Rei-volution
SailorSpySedna wrote:
Sorry to hear those things happened to you. I once got a Community Guideline Strike myself


Well to be fair, even though it was 6 rules, they told me it counted as only 1 because the "strike" occurred within the short term, and I had 2 opportunities to screw up before I was banned.

_________________
-redblade7

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:48 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2266
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
Yinggirl wrote:
FloraKiraraHime wrote:

I agree with you so much, Rose. I love the manga, 90's anime (sub), PGSM (my favorite version), and the 90's DiC dub. I have lukewarm feelings towards Crystal. How about we ALL agree that no version of Sailor Moon is 100% flawless?


This. Hell, I’m the anti Moonie that enjoys SuperS, and a lot of fans hated that series. I say Stars was bad, due to the fact most of Tokyo was wiped out during Galaxia vs. Senshi fights and I maybe kinda pissed off with Moon letting Galaxia go freely. There was no crystal healing the city and it Usagi not really getting the harsh realities of war.



I'm glad you enjoy SuperS, Yinggirl, despite all the negative reception. And, yeah, Usagi should have at least tried to use the Silver Crystal to heal Tokyo.

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:06 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4397
Yinggirl wrote:
FloraKiraraHime wrote:

I agree with you so much, Rose. I love the manga, 90's anime (sub), PGSM (my favorite version), and the 90's DiC dub. I have lukewarm feelings towards Crystal. How about we ALL agree that no version of Sailor Moon is 100% flawless?


This. Hell, I’m the anti Moonie that enjoys SuperS, and a lot of fans hated that series. I say Stars was bad, due to the fact most of Tokyo was wiped out during Galaxia vs. Senshi fights and I maybe kinda pissed off with Moon letting Galaxia go freely. There was no crystal healing the city and it Usagi not really getting the harsh realities of war.

Why wouldn't she let Sailor Galaxia go freely. She was possessed by Chaos and not in control of her actions. There was no reason to punish her. Further more the starseeds of the people in Tokyo were all returned by Sailor Galaxia in the end.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 1679
MariaTenebre wrote:
Yinggirl wrote:
FloraKiraraHime wrote:

I agree with you so much, Rose. I love the manga, 90's anime (sub), PGSM (my favorite version), and the 90's DiC dub. I have lukewarm feelings towards Crystal. How about we ALL agree that no version of Sailor Moon is 100% flawless?


This. Hell, I’m the anti Moonie that enjoys SuperS, and a lot of fans hated that series. I say Stars was bad, due to the fact most of Tokyo was wiped out during Galaxia vs. Senshi fights and I maybe kinda pissed off with Moon letting Galaxia go freely. There was no crystal healing the city and it Usagi not really getting the harsh realities of war.

Why wouldn't she let Sailor Galaxia go freely. She was possessed by Chaos and not in control of her actions. There was no reason to punish her. Further more the starseeds of the people in Tokyo were all returned by Sailor Galaxia in the end.


I meant after the fight with her and defeated Chaos, Galaxia freely walked away. And Usagi is happy she got everyone back. True, it is her story. Though if it didn’t happen that they don’t care for their citizens, despite most of them turned into Phages and they healed them.

The anime ended with Tokyo being destroyed and Usagi kisses Mamoru, hoping to start a new life with him. Hope that explains my frustrations with the 90s anime.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:37 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
To answer some of the replies above, while SuperS is my least favorite, I don't think it's half as bad as people make it out to be. Stars is more of hits and misses to me in both the anime and manga (the biggest and only flaw I'd say the manga version probably had was killing off the Inners/Outers too early and too fast, we only see three castles and the Inners feel underplayed/underused in the manga version like they always were in the manga minus Dead Moon, the anime underplayed the Outers, no Sailor Quartet or going to space, no castles, no certain Anima-mates, and such). I thought only a certain section of Tokyo, most of the area round the Ginga TV area got destroyed though, and I never felt Usagi and the others didn't care for the citizens of Tokyo though. :?

The Nehellenia beginning was pretty good though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
Funny story about this review here on Star Wars Rogue One (sorry if it sounds off topic but please bear with me): http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1BJI

What interests me most is the comments, as they act just like the rabid Sailor Moon Crystal fans and that reviewer had a similar experience as I did with the same Crystal defenders/fanboys who harassed me like the ones I've mentioned in my journals: quoting what the review said mostly, they treated me like crap. They insulted me. They thought that taking a piece of garbage anime, making no effort to adapt and turn a re-adaptation of a good yet flawed manga into anything even close to a compelling story or interesting character and just slapping a Sailor Moon label on it was enough to keep me entertained, because they thought I was an infant. And whenever rabid Crystal fans tried to defend Crystal, no one offered anything even close to a valid counterargument other than "it's like the manga!! It's so much better!! Shut up you stupid hater!!", which are not defending arguments/statements at all.

And now I've learned from that reviewer that if fanboys/fangirls can't come up with legitimate reasons to like/defend it, then there's a probably 99.999999999999999999999% chance whatever (they're obsessed with) they love is a piece of crap.

It's also just like whenever I've talked to people who claimed the Inners are "useless" in the original anime, when in my opinion, they're not. While I'm of no interest to bring a debate like that here, I've provided reasons that prove they could be competent and not perpetually ineffective or weak (there actually are instances too) to some people like I've said, or disproved them, and they acted like they didn't read what I said, and it makes me wonder if the two of us even saw the same anime or that person I was talking to saw the same anime or not.

Talking to those two kinds of people, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
Posts: 22401
Location: With Sousuke Sagara and Ryo.
Gender: Female
Other: Married to Ryo!
What I hate about this fandom is how cliquey certain fans tend to be. Like a bunch of people on twitter tend to be super clicky and don't respond to my tweets only their friends tweets. The collectors make me feel sick because they feel that they need a whole room just for their collection, plus the fact that they can afford the expensive Japanese merchandise, both new and old and also trips to Japan. Also, I hate Miss Dream because they expect people to pay them money to translate Sailor Moon stuff when they shoud be offering it for free out of the kindness of their hearts (if they even have hearts). :o I also can't stand people who think that just because they've been a fan for x amount of years that they think they're better than everyone else. :o Also, all the people who run big fansites like Moonkitty.net, Sailor Moon Collectibles, Sailor Moon Obsession, MoonSticks, etc. all seem to have their own little twitter cliques where they only talk to each other and nobody else. :o Most of them were once members of this forum, but I think they don't post here because they feel they're too good for us to even be graced by their presence cause they think they're Sailor Moon fan royalty or even Naoko themselves. :o Also, the Naoko bashing here has been getting on my nerves too.

_________________
Image
Credit to Prince Rose for the image. :love: :hug:
#EveryoneMatters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2266
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
What I hate about this fandom is how cliquey certain fans tend to be. :o Also, the Naoko bashing here has been getting on my nerves too.


I AGREE with all of this! I dislike cliques, they're so exclusionary. I, too, am tired of the Naoko bashing, it really grinds my gears! Naoko isn't perfect, none of us are.

I'd also like to add that not only do I dislike Crystal defenders (seasons 1 and 2), the 90's anime defenders are just as difficult to deal with! Both sides claim their version is 100% perfect, and attack the other side for pointing out the numerous flaws of their opponent's favorite version. I do like both Crystal and the 90's anime equally, well some aspects of each, though.

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
Also, I hate Miss Dream because they expect people to pay them money to translate Sailor Moon stuff when they shoud be offering it for free out of the kindness of their hearts (if they even have hearts). :o

Also, the Naoko bashing here has been getting on my nerves too.

Wasn't it Naoko who taught us that the only reason why Sailor Moon exists in this world is squeezing money out of it without any shame? It's silly to judge fans for following in footsteps of their leader. The only difference between Miss Dream and Naoko is that Miss Dream actually work when they are paid for it. Naoko just takes money, but never works. P-:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: While I Am Proud to be a Moonie, I Hate this Fandom At Times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:25 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Joined: May 18, 2016
Posts: 26
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
Also, all the people who run big fansites like Moonkitty.net, Sailor Moon Collectibles, Sailor Moon Obsession, MoonSticks, etc. all seem to have their own little twitter cliques where they only talk to each other and nobody else. :o Most of them were once members of this forum, but I think they don't post here because they feel they're too good for us to even be graced by their presence cause they think they're Sailor Moon fan royalty or even Naoko themselves. :o Also, the Naoko bashing here has been getting on my nerves too.


I don't really trust Moonkitty, they don't always get the descriptions of episodes correct and they screw up (like they said Sailor Mercury's Aqua Rhapsody "didn't do much" against Sailor Doctor. WRONG. It PWNed him), and I've never done much with Sailor Moon Collectibles nor Miss Dream just for looking at pictures and such.

While I do find flaws with Naoko's writing, I still think she is a good writer; the only thing I'd really call her out on also was that disgusting kiss with Mamoru and Black Lady in the manga. :eek:

One thing I've gotta say also is, what are her thoughts on Crystal? She's been silent about it.


Last edited by SailorSpySedna on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 3 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator