* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Getting bashed for being a sailor moon fan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membership
I can't be the only guy who's a fan of sailor moon right? Usually when people find out that I'm a big fan of this show, they'll hit me with "you're a teenager" or "you're a boy" or "grow tf up"...it gets kind of annoying :/ Sometimes people call me a girl, sometimes they say I'm gay. its bizarre. :eeklez:

Post subject: Re: Getting bashed for being a sailor moon fan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
Oh my god. That's so sad. :blue: I've never had that myself, even though nowadays the people I talk to don't really know Sailor because they're quite young I never got crap like that. :hug: You're around friends here mate. :keke:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:14 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membership
chrissifniotis wrote:
Oh my god. That's so sad. :blue: I've never had that myself, even though nowadays the people I talk to don't really know Sailor because they're quite young I never got crap like that. :hug: You're around friends here mate. :keke:

im glad :) most of my friends don't care, its usually just people online, but it still does make me a bit bamboozled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Years of membership
Other: In a relationship
Meh. It depends on who you talk to. One of my old managers loved the show and grew up with it. She even has a Pop Head of Sailor Moon and we used to talk about it before we moved.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
I used to get bashed in the 90s for it, I got called gay and such as well and yes I'm a straight dude living in a time when DBZ was king but yeah 9 year old me didn't care for dbz Sailor Moon was and still is my hero in later years I got into dbz but only through classic dragonball 80s then continued through Z from there but that's the 00's I'm still talking 90s, SM wasn't the only anime I watched at that time while others were busy obsessing over goku I was watching Lilly C.A.T. Vampire Hunter D. Gall Force : Eternal Story MD Geist Galaxy Express 999 and it's sequel Adieu etc

those movies and OVA's influenced and refined my taste in anime during my preteen years and this was before toonami but SM is what started it all for me

I didn't go around telling everyone I loved sm but I did make school friends who were fans and they were boys too straight as well
so yeah next time someone makes fun of your taste in anime ask this what makes theirs any better? and by what right do they have to judge you by the show you watch

the bashing has become more internalised online than out in the school yard like the olden days but that makes it pretty bad because on the web it's easy to troll/bully people you have to be strong and not let anyone stop you from enjoying

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
Oh trust me, I have been there before. While it doesn't affect me now, some people did think I was weird for liking Sailor Moon when I was 13-14 years old back in 2000. As I got older, in my late teens, I was starting to feel less afraid and then made less fun of and more tolerated. I'm currently 31 now and no one has made fun of me since my early teenager years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:57 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
When I was a tween, yes.

Now, no, but I don't really care about anime that much anymore. :unsure:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
CodenameSailorV wrote:
I can't be the only guy who's a fan of sailor moon right? Usually when people find out that I'm a big fan of this show, they'll hit me with "you're a teenager" or "you're a boy" or "grow tf up"...it gets kind of annoying :/ Sometimes people call me a girl, sometimes they say I'm gay. its bizarre. :eeklez:

It doesn't sound like its just an :usagi: issue but you're just surrounded by negative people.

Don't hang around judgemental people.

Use facebook to your advantage.

Continue loving what you do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:08 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
i never get bugged about my love of Sailor Moon and im very open about it also like Rose Sailor Moon is my hero as well and yes im straight XD honestly the 90s anime is my favorite anime :happy:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:10 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Yup. Ultimately, you are supposed to live your life, not someone else's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i think it depends on who you talk to.Everybody has different opinions.
people usually goes with the cliche that 'animes are for children only' and 'boys can't love magical girl animes' it's up to you;either you care about their words,or you don't and just be yourself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
litacan wrote:
i think it depends on who you talk to.Everybody has different opinions.
people usually goes with the cliche that 'animes are for children only' and 'boys can't love magical girl animes' it's up to you;either you care about their words,or you don't and just be yourself

I 2nd this litacan well said :happy:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
From one male Sailor Moon fan to another: don't let it get to you. Yeah, I know, that's easier said than done...but it's true.

I actually did turn out gay in the end (I'm actually a masculine guy and most people can't tell I'm gay until I tell them -- I'm watching hockey right now lmfao), but liking Sailor Moon doesn't mean ANYTHING about your sexuality.

They think you're weird because being a big fan of something -- ANYTHING -- can be seen as "weird" or whatever. It's dumb. The older you get, the more you'll realize that everyone is a big fan or a huge dork in SOME way -- maybe not an anime title, but everyone has something. They just don't understand what you see in Sailor Moon. As an adult (late 20s), I haven't been bashed for liking Sailor Moon when people find out I like it, but there has definitely been an instance in which a friend of mine (another anime fan) seemed to look on me with disdain because of it. They don't see what we see in it.

Try looking at Sailor Moon from an outsider's perspective. You have this chick with meatball-head pigtails who turns into a sailor-suited warrior and fights evil, also there are talking cats and they're all from the moon. It sounds crazy and you can't expect others to really give it a fair chance or even dive into what the show is actually about (Sailor Moon, at its core, is a "miracle romance" or a fantastic fairy tale with some brief action scenes and an eventual turn to the philosophical near the end; different adaptations like the 90s anime put their own twist on this). Like any other work of art, it's subjective.

But yeah, send me a message any time if you need to talk about being a guy who likes Sailor Moon. I've been there and done that, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:24 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
John wrote:
From one male Sailor Moon fan to another: don't let it get to you. Yeah, I know, that's easier said than done...but it's true.

I actually did turn out gay in the end (I'm actually a masculine guy and most people can't tell I'm gay until I tell them -- I'm watching hockey right now lmfao), but liking Sailor Moon doesn't mean ANYTHING about your sexuality.

They think you're weird because being a big fan of something -- ANYTHING -- can be seen as "weird" or whatever. It's dumb. The older you get, the more you'll realize that everyone is a big fan or a huge dork in SOME way -- maybe not an anime title, but everyone has something. They just don't understand what you see in Sailor Moon. As an adult (late 20s), I haven't been bashed for liking Sailor Moon when people find out I like it, but there has definitely been an instance in which a friend of mine (another anime fan) seemed to look on me with disdain because of it. They don't see what we see in it.

Try looking at Sailor Moon from an outsider's perspective. You have this chick with meatball-head pigtails who turns into a sailor-suited warrior and fights evil, also there are talking cats and they're all from the moon. It sounds crazy and you can't expect others to really give it a fair chance or even dive into what the show is actually about (Sailor Moon, at its core, is a "miracle romance" or a fantastic fairy tale with some brief action scenes and an eventual turn to the philosophical near the end; different adaptations like the 90s anime put their own twist on this). Like any other work of art, it's subjective.

But yeah, send me a message any time if you need to talk about being a guy who likes Sailor Moon. I've been there and done that, lol.

John's absolutely right! Can't add anything else to that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:02 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
You might consider giving up being a mister Nice Guy and PUNISH their asses IN THE NAME OF THE MOON! Sailor Senshi are with you (spiritually).
Attachment:
Sailor_Moon_s01_e04.avi_snapshot_20.08_[2017.10.14_16.30.29].jpg
Sailor_Moon_s01_e04.avi_snapshot_20.08_[2017.10.14_16.30.29].jpg [ 52.3 KiB | Viewed 104 times ]