* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon On the Nintendo GameBoy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Has anyone played this game before? I decided to give it a try (very cheap on eBay if you'd like to as well) and I can't seem to get past the first part. Usagis mom tells her to find naru, so I found her. Naru tells usagi to come inside, so I do. Narus mom Welcomes usagi, asks her if she's going to spend her allowance, and then it cuts back to me being on the road. I can't figure out what to do after that. :/

Post subject: Re: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon On the Nintendo GameBoy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Yes, I've played it a little, but I haven't finished it. There's a translation patch that can be applied to less-than-legitimate copies, which allows you to play in English.

Basically the gameplay just involves talking to everybody, then talking to certain people once you've talked to certain other people, and then there's these crude little action scenes where Sailor Moon kicks nondescript youmas, then has to fight Jadeite. There's also a bit where you can go to the Crown Arcade to play an even simpler game where Sailor V shoots segments out of a hamburger with eyes for some reason. There's a few levels of Jadeite, too, you also fight him at the gym. Also, there's a wikimoon article about the game that I just now thought to look up when I edited my post. They also have a list of games, with varying degrees of detail about each.

It's alright I guess, but there's much more exciting old Sailor Moon games. For story, most people seem to go for "Sailor Moon: Another Story" on SNES/Super Famicom (which also has a complete translation), but another one that interests me which has not been fully translated is the PC Engine Game, which is practically a lost fourth movie based on season 1 stuff.

As far as gameplay, that's a whole other matter. I really like "Panic in Nakayoshi World", which is a Bomberman style game for Super Famicom with characters from four manga series that ran in Nakayoshi Magazine (one of whom is Sailor Moon, and Chibi-Usa also makes a brief appearance). It has a mostly-complete translation, but it doesn't really need one. Another I like is the puzzle game "Sailor Moon S: Kurukkurin" on Super Famicom, it's fairly simple and easy to play without a translation. I haven't seen a lot of great action games for Sailor Moon, but some people like the 'beat em up' style games for Arcades, the Super Famicom, and Megadrive/Sega Genesis.

But having a real copy is neat! If I had something like that, and a better living situation in general, I'd put the cartridge on some sort of little display or something :)

(Also, this topic will probably get moved to the video game section.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Another Story is the best Sailor Moon game I've played though I haven't got to play much of it. I've tried playing the fighting games and the beat em up games but I just don't like the controls on the beat em ups and the fighting games are impossible to figure out how to activate your powers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
Neon Genesis wrote:
I just don't like the controls on the beat em ups and the fighting games are impossible to figure out how to activate your powers.

You probably need to achieve a certain amount of 'impact points' or so during a round to automatically unlock your special move as demo screens and using your Senshi on the opposite side explicitly show that these moves are there, after all.

I'm not that good at video games either, so I almost never get to use the Aqua Rhapsody/Oak Evolution/Fire Soul Bird etc. too, so it's standard kicking and chopping instead. :sad:

P. S.: And keep in mind that if your energy/HP level is too low, you might also temporarily not be able to use certain powers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Onuzim Ima wrote:
P. S.: And keep in mind that if your energy/HP level is too low, you might also temporarily not be able to use certain powers.
According to Wikimoon, the rules seem to actually be the opposite for the SuperS Super Famicom fighting game and you have to have your HP bar almost all the way gone in order to activate your attacks, which just seems like a ridiculous game design choice to me. http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Sai ... oudatsusen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:38 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I'm absolutely terrible at the fighting games. I managed to beat the Sega Genesis game on easy mode once, but I never got to see the proper final battle that way. Never in my life have I seen so excessively many youma Jijis.

As far as action (rather than tetris-type gameplay or RPGs), the only Sailor Moon game I really liked in that regard was Panic in Nakayoshi World. Walk around, shoot stuff, dodge, look for powerups under blocks to shoot and run better, hop over fences sometimes, protect an NPC, shoot enough stuff that the door to the next level appears, fight a boss, and that's about it. Simple, but fun.

Sailor Moon: Another Story does have a great plot, but I find myself getting stuck wandering around large, similar-looking areas a lot. I feel like they spent too much time trying to make Tokyo realistically complicated and didn't really optimize area design around game flow per se. Still, it's really neat and I want to finish it one of these days. (I also like that they crammed in lots of neat little references- you can even use Supreme Thunder Dragon! That was only in one episode.)

But that PC Engine game is my #1 wishlist thing for a complete translation, 'cause dang, it hooks me right from the opening cutscene. Nephrite running away through a sewer fighting the DD Girls, throwing off some weird mask thing as he tries to escape! It's gotta be great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:32 am 
Suburban Senshi OP
Suburban Senshi OP
Months of membership
I am completely stuck on the school level in the gameboy game. I can't seem to find where to go in it. I think this is one of the few games I've never finished as a result XD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:58 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Sailor Quinox wrote:
I am completely stuck on the school level in the gameboy game. I can't seem to find where to go in it. I think this is one of the few games I've never finished as a result XD

literally same. I can't find any way out of there whatsoever :/