Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:07 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membership
SnowWolf wrote:
I guess I'm still frustrated our Season 1-7 Blu ray release was inferior to the US set as well.

Yeah that sucks.

SnowWolf wrote:
Were the multicoloured Daleks not well recieved, is that why they were tossed away?

You bet! This wasn't just diehard fans getting angry, this was universal hatred, from fans to casual audiences. Funny thing is that Moffat had plans for the multi-coloured Daleks, each one would be in command of an army of Daleks, and The Doctor would have to destroy them one at a time.

It's an interesting concept, but maybe more thought should have been put into the design. For example they didn't know what the Yellow Dalek was going to do, they only just gave it the title. "The Eternal" and hoped the "cool" name would make fans excited. It didn't.

Also the reason why we have an Orange Dalek? Mark Gatiss likes orange. That's not a joke, he revealed this in the very awkward commentary of Victory of the Daleks. (Nick Biggs and Mark look very uncomfortable in the commentary, possibly because they knew it was a bad story, but couldn't say anything against it if they wanted to keep their jobs.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SnowWolf wrote:
Were the multicoloured Daleks not well recieved, is that why they were tossed away?

You bet! This wasn't just diehard fans getting angry, this was universal hatred, from fans to casual audiences. Funny thing is that Moffat had plans for the multi-coloured Daleks, each one would be in command of an army of Daleks, and The Doctor would have to destroy them one at a time.

It's an interesting concept, but maybe more thought should have been put into the design. For example they didn't know what the Yellow Dalek was going to do, they only just gave it the title. "The Eternal" and hoped the "cool" name would make fans excited. It didn't.

Also the reason why we have an Orange Dalek? Mark Gatiss likes orange. That's not a joke, he revealed this in the very awkward commentary of Victory of the Daleks. (Nick Biggs and Mark look very uncomfortable in the commentary, possibly because they knew it was a bad story, but couldn't say anything against it if they wanted to keep their jobs.)[/quote]

I didn't like them either. They looked like a set of mutated crayons. That's also the point where Moffat gave up trying to explain how the Daleks keep coming back when they're supposed to be extinct.

Have you seen "The Dalek that Time Forgot"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbf28RPy4FY

Babalcolour's Tribute to the The Time War - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afBkMIg ... MsNrfRk4sQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Yeah I've seen them, and they're really good. The former is a bit of a tragedy because the guy nearly lost his job as a cgi artist because he used copyright material. Instead he became blaclisted, so he'll never get promotions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
I just wrote a fan letter to Tom Baker, along with a picture to autograph. I'm gonna do the same with David Tennant. Fingers cross on getting them answered. ^u^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:23 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:40 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Best episode of Doctor Who ever! Mummy on the Orient Express.

Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Doctor Who Fandom has exploded!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

See for yourself.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rate-discu ... -68385.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Doctor Who series finale in two days time.

Sigh...

No Doctor Who until Christmas

No Ponies

And Sailor Moon is a fortnight programme.

I'm going to be a very bored man. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
SailorWho wrote:
I'm trying to find a good Doctor Who meet up somewhere near where I live (Alliance Ohio). I'm actually planning this cool fem 4th Doctor cosplay. I'm also planning on writing fan letters to Tom Baker and David Tennant. Wish me luck on getting them answered. ^u^

I love Thomas "Tom" Baker. David Tennant is fine, in my honest opinion.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

Last edited by Usagi-Fifth-Doctor on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 22 months ago
inactive
newest episodes are quite good, however i still think the tenth doctor was amazing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Straw-hat Pirates
I'm slowly getting into it I've seen bits and pieces of it from time to time and liked what I've seen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:09 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Other: 4th Regeneration
Since no one has mentioned this yet:

There are currently 2 trailers up for Doctor Who Series 9!

Trailer #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

Trailer #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csVdLbDMO4

Doctor Who has also been added to the upcoming Lego Dimensions game and it looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1Yu50qSyE

Anyone else want a Sailor Moon level for this thing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:37 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Darth Moonie wrote:
Since no one has mentioned this yet:

There are currently 2 trailers up for Doctor Who Series 9!

Trailer #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

Trailer #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csVdLbDMO4

Doctor Who has also been added to the upcoming Lego Dimensions game and it looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1Yu50qSyE

Anyone else want a Sailor Moon level for this thing?

pretty awesome trailers, i love that theyre bringing the zygons back and missy was always interesting, i also like that they brought the red supreme dalek back too but i sorta miss the crisp white paradigm one XD, looks to be a cracking upcoming series however and cant wait for it to start, though im still not 100% sure weather i like capaldi or not.

also, SM lego demensions? heck yeah ^_^ id buy it in a heartbeat if it was in it.

Join the Chatroom at - http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I love the look of the Lego Dimensions game. I had no interest in it until I saw the DW ad, and now I really want to play it. Also, did anyone else notice that Gandalf spontaneously switches to Gandalf the White while he's in the TARDIS? Buahaha. Cute touch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I love Doctor Who! The new Lego Dimensions game looks very incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
foenyanko wrote:
I love the look of the Lego Dimensions game. I had no interest in it until I saw the DW ad, and now I really want to play it. Also, did anyone else notice that Gandalf spontaneously switches to Gandalf the White while he's in the TARDIS? Buahaha. Cute touch.

That's why I'd love Lego to add Sailor Moon to the game. Their attention to detail is incredible and there are so many little things they do that make everything they create amazing.

And really, who wouldn't want to see Gandalf and Batman go up against any of the enemies the Senshi have faced?

I also found this in the wonderful part of the internet where cool things exist (It's massive and I couldn't re-size it to fit)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LRJN52HHDQo/V ... f_time.png

Lastly (and back on topic)

Series 9 is starting this weekend! First episode is called "The Magician's Apprentice" and the trailer looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1tfG7uDtI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
I was severely disappointed by most of season 8, honestly, and I'm not really enthusiastic about 9. I'm going to the 3D showing of the S8 finale tomorrow, though, because those episodes were decent, and hopefully the promo is good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:52 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
well, just seen the series 9 opener and wow what a start, a thoroughly good episode with plot points/twists I didn't see coming. so here's hoping the rest of the series can keep up the high standard.

Join the Chatroom at - http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
The Magician's Apprentice was... interesting.

I won't say it was bad or good yet since it's a 2-part and things might get cleared up, but here are some of my initial thoughts:

I LOVE that the Doctor has to choose to save young Davros or to let him die. Similar plot to the Tom Baker episode where he had the chance to wipe out the Daleks forever, so it'll be interesting to see if he saves Davros or tries to kill him.

Clara is as insufferable as ever. Even more so. I cannot express how happy I am that little miss perfect is leaving.

The Doctor bringing a tank to medieval England was funny. So was the "axe fight" joke.

Miss should have had a larger role. She had some hilarious moments ("See that couple over there? You're the dog.") I LOVED how the Doctor gave her, not Clara, his final will. Missy is so delightfully twisted and clearly is having fun doing it.

Was it just me, or did Missy possibly suggest that, as a child, the Doctor was a girl?

"Since always. Since the Cloister Wars. Since the night he stole the moon and the President’s wife. Since he was a little girl.
One of those was a lie – can you guess which one?”

It could be Missy messing with Clara. Or it could be Moffat messing with the fans. Probably both. But maybe, just maybe, the Doctor had a female incarnation in there somewhere before Hartnel (and we can't really go off of "but such and such says X, Y, and Z. Doctor Who breaks its own canon all the time; for example, the Moon. Originally it was a Genesis Arc of the Cthalctose that drifted into the Sol system and was the reason the Silurians went into hibernation. Then it became a giant... egg... thing...).

Even the 13 regeneration limit gets broken regularly, especially by the Master. So it MIGHT be possible.

Clara and Missy clearly aren't dead. In all the years the Daleks have been exterminating, I've only seen them disintegrate bodies with the Reality Bomb. Seeing as that was blown up, courtesy of the 10th Doctor, I don't see them suddenly disintegrating their enemies. Though I wouldn't be disappointed if Clara died. My guess is that both of them are alive and well and teleported elsewhere. There's something else going on on Skaro and Davros is an evil conniving genius. This is probably all part of some twisted plan of his.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
I love Missy and I hope she keeps getting the best dialogue. Seriously. I have to say I'm kind of amused by the fact that they deliberately didn't explain how she's still alive, because sometimes not explaining just makes it more fun.

Also the tank, and the guitar, and the awful jokes... I love Twelve. I've decided.

I'm definitely reserving judgement until I see the second part of the episode, but I'm hopefully optimistic about this season. Especially since it's Clara's last, for realsy reals this time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
The Witch's Familiar was probably one of THE BEST New Who episodes to date.

The introduction was hilarious and, once again, Missy is one of the best parts. She's clearly evil, but she's clearly having fun being evil. She's also mean to Clara which is good; Little Miss Perfect needs to have someone knock her down a few pegs.

I wish Missy were a more regular "companion"; she's much better than Clara ever was.

Capaldi, being stuck in a room, is in a more dialogue-heavy role than an action one. It works out really, really well, especially with Davros (still not sure how he survived the destruction of the Crucible). Like Missy, he's clearly having fun, especially after he gets ahold of Davros' chair.

There's a good change here for the Doctor's personality. Rather than instantly making the "right" decision or "wrong" decision, he struggles with himself over what the right course of action is. This wouldn't have worked with any of the other recent Doctors; Tennant would have jumped right in to helping him and Smith would have been all... weird about it. Capaldi does a fantastic job of showing the struggle between taking the opportunity to destroy the Daleks forever and helping someone in need; (warning, MAJOR spoilers)

Spoiler: show
Yes, it ends up being an act on his part. But it's still really well done.

Davros was probably the best part of this episode. In the old Who episodes, it's been shown over and over that he clearly believes that creating the Daleks was the right thing to do to ensure peace in the Universe; a sentiment he repeats again here. There's more (warning, MAJOR spoilers)

Spoiler: show
At first, when Davros was acting sad and guilty about his actions, I suspected a trap. But he went on long enough and seemed sincere enough, I started to believe that maybe, just maybe, there was some regret in him and he really wasn't so evil; that's why this episode was so good. I KNOW he's evil, but he was so convincing with the regret and sorrow that I wanted to believe him. And I honestly started to.

The end was very cleverly done and the addition of Sonic Sunglasses was very clever and really well done. I prefer the screwdriver, but the glasses are a nice touch.

There are still a few oddities from the Magician's Apprentice that stick out a bit, but I suspect most of them will be addressed throughout the season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Well, since this is a thread about Doctor Who, I thought it would be a great idea to discuss our favorite Doctors. I'll start.

My favorite Doctors are:
1. The 5th Doctor (Peter D.)
2. The 3rd Doctor (John P.)
3. The 2nd Doctor (Patrick T.)
4. The 4th Doctor (Thomas B.)
5. The 6th Doctor (Colin B.)
6. The 1st Doctor (Bill H.)
7. The 8th Doctor (Paul M.)
8. The 11th Doctor (Matt S.)
9. The 9th Doctor (Chris E.)
10. The 7th Doctor (Syl M.)
11. The 12th Doctor (Peter C.)
12. The 10th Doctor (David T.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
Well, since this is a thread about Doctor Who, I thought it would be a great idea to discuss our favorite Doctors. I'll start.

My favorite Doctors are:
1. The 5th Doctor (Peter D.)
2. The 3rd Doctor (John P.)
3. The 2nd Doctor (Patrick T.)
4. The 4th Doctor (Thomas B.)
5. The 6th Doctor (Colin B.)
6. The 1st Doctor (Bill H.)
7. The 8th Doctor (Paul M.)
8. The 11th Doctor (Matt S.)
9. The 9th Doctor (Chris E.)
10. The 7th Doctor (Syl M.)
11. The 12th Doctor (Peter C.)
12. The 10th Doctor (David T.)

No, no, you're being silly. Tennant is #1 on everyone's list. CONFORM OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

It's an interesting list. I don't see the War Doctor on there though.

Davison was really good and I know a lot of people like Baker, but C. Baker seems a surprising choice. I've only seen a handful of his episodes, which isn't enough to make a judgment on, but I know most people seem to really dislike him.

Anyway, I kind of get the feeling from this list that you don't like the new Doctor Who much, if at all. Unless this list is supposed to be upside down with 12 being the best.

Either way, I'd like to see the reasoning behind your choices because there are some unusual ones in there.

1. The 10th Doctor (Tennant): Maybe I'm a conformist for putting Tennant in my #1 spot, but I don't care. I loved Tennant. He was bouncy, energetic, always filled with wonder and excitement and was clearly having a blast doing Doctor Who; which made the show a ton of fun to watch too. He does so well with a large range of emotions from the bouncy fun variation, to dark and grim to outright heart-wrenching tragic.

2. The 12th Doctor (Capaldi): This one was a Dark Horse. I didn't really care for Capaldi initially, but he's really grown on me. I love how grumpy and serious he is, and he has a lot of hilarious moments. Clara drags him down, but he really shines in the episodes where he doesn't have to be in the shadow of her Mary Sue-ness. Now little miss perfect is out of the way, I'm expecting Capaldi to really shine in the next season.

3. The 5th Doctor (Davison):

4. The 7th Doctor (McCoy): He's darker and more serious than some of the earlier incarnations, but he has so many great moments.

5. The War Doctor (Hurt): I have to preface this choice by saying that everything John Hurt does is amazing. It doesn't matter what it is, he just does so well. We don't get to see much of him, he only appears in the 50th anniversary special, but he's more conflicted and uncertain, yet more determined to do what he thinks needs to be done. He fit in really well with Tennant and Smith and still managed to bring his own personality out in the short time he had. It probably works to his favor that there wasn't that much of him; it leaves people wanting more, and that is always a good place to end.

6. The 4th Doctor (T. Baker): I can't really give a good reason as to why he's in this spot. It's probably the scarf. In all seriousness, he really was a fun Doctor, and he had so many great moments, like his struggle in deciding if he had the right to destroy the Daleks or not. I have to admit, I didn't see every episode of his, and I missed/can't find 2 or 3 seasons. But with 7 seasons, I think I've seen enough to more firmly place him on the list.

7. The 9th Doctor (Eccleston): He moves around a lot on this list. I don't know why, but there are some days I really like him and bump him up near the top and other days when everything he does annoys me, and he goes more towards the bottom. Ask me again in a month, and he'll probably have moved up again. I do think he was a fantastic choice to bring on for the reboot of Doctor Who, and I think it's good he only had one season. I don't know if it was just me or not, but it seemed like there were times when he was really into Doctor Who, and other times he was less so. It could be down to screenwriting or directing, but I think, overall, he was a really solid Doctor with a really solid season.

8. The 8th Doctor (McGann): I'm not even going to talk about that train-wreck of a movie. McGann was generally in a series of Audio Adventures. I've heard some of them, and bits and pieces of others. He's not bad, he's actually quite good, but I think he's at an unfair disadvantage because he only had 2 televised appearances; the Doctor Who movie (which is so bad it's good) and the Time-War related short where he regenerates into the War Doctor. I'm sure if he had more televised appearances, he'd be up higher on this list, but it's hard to really put him higher since we only get to hear what he's doing. And, again, he's really good at what he does.

9. The 11th Doctor (Smith): I don't hate 11, but I don't like him like a lot of people do. He's too obnoxious and childish. His "dark" moments seem more like "I'm upset with you" moments rather than the sort of dark rage you get from Tennant and some of the others. He's just too derpy for me to ever take him seriously with the exception of a small handful of scenes; Amy and Rory's deaths, for example, was one of his most serious, memorable and tragic moments. He had a few other really good moments and episodes, and I do think he was a good choice. But I don't think he was the best choice or even a great choice. His real strength came more from his interactions with Ami, Rory and River rather than from his own character.

He also brought little miss annoyingly perfect aboard and became obsessed with her to the point that it was creepy. Bringing her aboard is unforgivable. Whoever thought of her should be hit in the face with the scripts that involve her.

It's really hard to find episodes for The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th Doctors. I've seen enough to get an idea of what they're like, but not enough to make an accurate judgement on any of them. So they're sort of sitting down here in the "unclassified" section until I can find more of their stuff. No bets on that though. It seems to be almost impossible to find more than an episode or two here and there, and I know some of the episodes for 1 were lost/destroyed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
8th Doctor: "Will it... hurt?" (Too obvious? :mischief: )
Karn Sister: "Yes it will."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:30 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The Year Without Who continues...

Just as painful as always.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Bumping the thread for Series 10. Has anyone seen it so far?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7