Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Godzilla Resurgence (July 29, 2016)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:59 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I decided to make a general Godzilla thread. Here, you get to discuss all things Godzilla even bash the Emmerich disaster. You can post lists, speculation about the next movie, Cinemassacre's reviews, etc. To start things off, here's my Top 12 Favorite Godzilla Movies list.

12. Godzilla 2000
11. Godzilla vs. Megalon
10. Godzilla vs. Gigan
9. Mothra vs. Godzilla
8. Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster
7. Godzilla vs. Biollante
6. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
5. Godzilla vs. Destroyah
4. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
3. Return of Godzilla (1984)
2. Godzilla: Final Wars
1. Gojira/Godzilla (1954)

Post subject: Re: The Official Godzilla Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Movie-Brat wrote:
the Emmerich disaster

Is that even "Godzilla" save for its sound? lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:59 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Is that even "Godzilla" save for its sound? lol

Not even close. In fact, I shouldn't even call it Godzilla.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:18 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Movie-Brat wrote:
To start things off, here's my Top 12 Favorite Godzilla Movies list.

Why the numbers are in reverse order? Is Godzilla 1954 your most favorite and Godzilla 2000 the least favorite out of these?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Maraviollantes wrote:
Why the numbers are in reverse order? Is Godzilla 1954 your most favorite and Godzilla 2000 the least favorite out of these?

Godzilla 1954 is my most favorite. I wrote the list as a countdown. You know, like The Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 lists.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:28 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I really liked the song from Hedorah, I spent forever looking for it!

Kaese! Kaese! Kaese! Why do I like such an annoying song?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nekorin wrote:

Did you find it? Recently I found the whole album for download.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Nekorin wrote:

Kaese! Kaese! Kaese! Why do I like such an annoying song?!

I personally refer to it as a Big Lipped Alligator Moment song.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:50 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Big lipped alligator moment song? How can you call it that? XD It may be over the top, but it's not like they never speak of it again, since they play it like 4 times in the movie. XD

@ Mara: I downloaded the album from somewhere, though it was low quality and skipped a bit in a couple places... so I'm good unless the one you found was of better quality. =^_^=

It also has karaoke... if I ever do a webseries it will be the theme song. XD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Nekorin wrote:
Big lipped alligator moment song? How can you call it that? XD It may be over the top, but it's not like they never speak of it again, since they play it like 4 times in the movie. XD

But it was involved in a sequence that had nothing to do with the film. Besides, Godzilla flying does not compute.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:16 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Movie-Brat wrote:
Nekorin wrote:

But it was involved in a sequence that had nothing to do with the film. Besides, Godzilla flying does not compute.

Maybe you think it was a Big Lipped Alligator Movie. XD

Midori no wo aoi sora wo kaese kaese kaese kaese!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:56 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Movie-Brat wrote:
Besides, Godzilla flying does not compute.

lol Definitely one of the most WTF moments in Godzilla's history.

How could it fly like that? :eeklez:

And who came up w/ that idea? :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
lol Definitely one of the most WTF moments in Godzilla's history.

How could it fly like that? :eeklez:

And who came up w/ that idea? :P

That was the director's idea believe it or not. Godzilla was supposed to run but apparently, he liked flying better.

Personally for me, Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster are my least favorite Godzilla films, none of them made sense and they're big middle finger to the character.

But not big of a middle finger than Emmerich's own version.

So guys, what are your favorite Godzilla films?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:56 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ And it flied that way. :roll:

Frankly I'm not a huge Godzilla fan & haven't watched many of its productions. I like the monster, tho, even w/ some admiration & respect, :cool: as well as the original idea, which seems to be all but missing in the later productions, which only merits are the better visual effects. The same case can also be said about Ultraman. *sigh*

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:37 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Movie-Brat wrote:
Personally for me, Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster are my least favorite Godzilla films, none of them made sense and they're big middle finger to the character.

Why? I think that Godzilla vs Hedorah is one of the most authentic Godzilla movies. One of main ideas of the series was consequences of humans' mindless and careless treatment of environment. In fact, most of giant monsters in the series were just a metaphor of direful disasters that will befall the humankind if they continue to treat the world around them in the same way (nuclear weapon, pollution, genetic experiments, etc.). In this sense Hedorah, the result of careless pollution of environment, is a monster completely fitting into the spirit of the series. If that movie didn't make "sense" to you, then I have no idea what you understand as "sense" of the series. IMO, if there are movies that indeed didn't make any sense, those are the few last movies, Final Wars among others, that were centered completely around mindless fights of monsters against each other and fancy CG effects.
As to the whole flying Godzilla scene from the same movie, well, if you think it was cheesy, you could say the the whole premise of the series about a giant dinosaur with atomic breath is cheesy from beginning to the end. Bashing Godzilla flying through his atomic breath makes as much sense as bashing sugar for it being sweet. *shrugs*
Godzilla never was a "realistic" monster and that's what makes the series unique. If you want completely realistic giant dinosaurs, watch the USA Godzilla movie or Jurassic Park.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Maraviollantes wrote:
Why? I think that Godzilla vs Hedorah is one of the most authentic Godzilla movies. One of main ideas of the series was consequences of humans' mindless and careless treatment of environment. In fact, most of giant monsters in the series were just a metaphor of direful disasters that will befall the humankind if they continue to treat the world around them in the same way (nuclear weapon, pollution, genetic experiments, etc.). In this sense Hedorah, the result of careless pollution of environment, is a monster completely fitting into the spirit of the series

That's the problem, the movie pulled a "Captain Planet."

Quote:
If that movie didn't make "sense" to you, then I have no idea what you understand as "sense" of the series. IMO, if there are movies that indeed didn't make any sense, those are the few last movies, Final Wars among others, that were centered completely around mindless fights of monsters against each other and fancy CG effects.

Funny enough, I like Final Wars. That was awesome. It has monsters fighting and humans fighting, what more do you need? Yeah, a plot but it had that. It's just fun. That and I got kick seeing Godzilla waste Zilla.

Quote:
As to the whole flying Godzilla scene from the same movie, well, if you think it was cheesy, you could say the the whole premise of the series about a giant dinosaur with atomic breath is cheesy from beginning to the end. Bashing Godzilla flying through his atomic breath makes as much sense as bashing sugar for it being sweet. *shrugs*
Godzilla never was a "realistic" monster and that's what makes the series unique. If you want completely realistic giant dinosaurs, watch the USA Godzilla movie or Jurassic Park.

Here's the thing, when Gamera flies, it's in character of him. With Godzilla flying, it's way out of character.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:52 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sorry for the double post but I should bring this video up as James does make good points about Godzilla vs. Hedorah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox20l8LtE88

Actually, the film reminds me more of Gamera than Godzilla. Wait a second, Gamera was a big hit with kids back in the 60's and 70's wasn't he?

And Toho shifted directions with Godzilla to make a good guy. Was that their stragety? Competing with the Gamera franchise by using Godzilla?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:18 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
It was better than Godzilla Vs. Gigan at least. That movie was kind of boring.

The only other Godzilla movies I've seen were dubbed, and therefore... you know.

They were Godzilla Vs. Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, which was pretty cool, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, which I found boring except for the Power Rangers moment when it first transforms, and... was that it?

Kaese! Kaese! Kaese!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:

I've never opposed Godzilla having flight capability, but its flying like that is just too retarded even by the franchise's &, in general, Toho tokusatsu productions' standards! :shocked:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Nekorin wrote:
It was better than Godzilla Vs. Gigan at least. That movie was kind of boring.

The only other Godzilla movies I've seen were dubbed, and therefore... you know.

They were Godzilla Vs. Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, which was pretty cool, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, which I found boring except for the Power Rangers moment when it first transforms, and... was that it?

Funny enough, the only reason why Godzilla vs. Gigan is one of my favorites is because of Gigan, to me, he's awesome.

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
I've never opposed Godzilla having flight capability, but its flying like that is just too retarded even by the franchise's &, in general, Toho tokusatsu productions' standards! :shocked:

Exactly. I found out it was the director's idea, which makes me wonder what the hell he was on when thought of that idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Movie-Brat wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Exactly. I found out it was the director's idea, which makes me wonder what the hell he was on when thought of that idea?

Probably he got that idea when he was exhaling something. :P I've read a manga many years ago in which a character can shoot himself to the sky by farting - maybe that director could consider that if he'd make another Godzilla film (a farting monster itself would be a huge breakthru of the genre, not to mention its flying by that, :ohmy: which ironically would even make the monster look less awkward than that one - at least it could fly while facing forward lol).

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:05 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Probably he got that idea when he was exhaling something. :P I've read a manga many years ago in which a character can shoot himself to the sky by farting - maybe that director could consider that if he'd make another Godzilla film (a farting monster itself would be a huge breakthru of the genre, not to mention its flying by that, :ohmy: which ironically would even make the monster look less awkward than that one - at least it could fly while facing forward lol).

Well, at least it'd be less confusing on another monster than Godzilla.

And just out of curosity, what does everyone here think of the Heisei series?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Movie-Brat wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Well, at least it'd be less confusing on another monster than Godzilla.

Oh, I meant that director could make Godzilla fly by farting atomic gas. :P

Quote:
And just out of curosity, what does everyone here think of the Heisei series?

I'm not quite into it, tho the visuals are better & sometimes it's also got a pretty idol-actress in it. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
I'm not quite into it, tho the visuals are better & sometimes it's also got a pretty idol-actress in it. :)

I know her, I thought her character was interesting. What about the Millieum Series? I was fortunate to see Godzilla 2000 in theaters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:08 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Because I did like Ghidrah, (and the much maligned Hedorah) I think I'll see more someday. What would you reccomend? (aside from the original of course, andni hear Destroyah is one to see)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Nekorin wrote:
Because I did like Ghidrah, (and the much maligned Hedorah) I think I'll see more someday. What would you reccomend? (aside from the original of course, andni hear Destroyah is one to see)

Easy. Here's what I recommend

Mothra vs. Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (It's still Ghidrah but I prefer Ghidorah)
Invasion of the Astro Monster/Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Return of Godzilla (1984) [This, I heard you could find on Veoh.com]
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla vs. Biollante

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:57 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Movie-Brat wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

I know her, I thought her character was interesting. What about the Millieum Series? I was fortunate to see Godzilla 2000 in theaters.

Well, I consider the Millennium series part of the Heisei one, as long as the current Emperor is still on the throne. :)

Movie-Brat wrote:
King Kong vs. Godzilla

That crossover was very interesting at the time - maybe nowadays someone should produce another one titled something like Godzilla vs The Cloverfield Monsters. P-: The film should also be shot like Cloverfield - that'd be a breakthru for the Toho monster genre, even tho it's copied from Hollywood (in any case that genre was originally the Japanese version of early Western monster movies).

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:06 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Movie-Brat wrote:
Nekorin wrote:

Easy. Here's what I recommend

Mothra vs. Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (It's still Ghidrah but I prefer Ghidorah)
Invasion of the Astro Monster/Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Return of Godzilla (1984) [This, I heard you could find on Veoh.com]
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla vs. Biollante
What do you think?

I called it Ghidrah because that was the dub I was watching. XD I like Ghidorah better too... So I should put the Japanese version of that on my list.... Yush.. I believe I shall work off this list when I have time.

Now, on the Godzilla DVDs I rented, there were ads preempted with an emblem of Godzilla and... Hamtaro in a ring labeled "Godzilla and Hamtaro the Movie"

... what's that about?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
That crossover was very interesting at the time - maybe nowadays someone should produce another one titled something like Godzilla vs The Cloverfield Monsters. P-: The film should also be shot like Cloverfield - that'd be a breakthru for the Toho monster genre, even tho it's copied from Hollywood (in any case that genre was originally the Japanese version of early Western monster movies).

That's every monster fan's dream actually. Godzilla fighting the Cloverfield monster. Plus, that'd be a hard film to do because for one thing, the new American remake by Legendary Pictures would make it impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Nekorin wrote:
Now, on the Godzilla DVDs I rented, there were ads preempted with an emblem of Godzilla and... Hamtaro in a ring labeled "Godzilla and Hamtaro the Movie"

... what's that about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_ ... Box_office :)

My J-pop thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next