Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Godzilla Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well, there are clips online if you want to see them.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:40 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Watched yesterday. Too dark, too much smoke, so for the most part you have trouble discerning wtf is moving there in the shadows behind a thick veil of smoke or fog. Plus 3D glasses make already dark movie still more dark. I had to remove them all the time to see better what the monsters look like and what is going on. Still a galaxy better than the 1998 movie.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:52 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pacific Rim is much better?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:14 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:

No, it's worse. The new Godzilla is way too dark, but otherwise it's a decent movie.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:11 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Were there any monsters besides Godzilla?

We got close to a dozen with Pacific Rim. It was fun to watch even with its forced drama trying to make it sort of Japanese.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:40 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
rgveda99 wrote:
Were there any monsters besides Godzilla?

If you want to know plot details, just check Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 11 months ago
inactive
Other: Gay.
Grumpy Cat wrote:
Watched yesterday. Too dark, too much smoke, so for the most part you have trouble discerning wtf is moving there in the shadows behind a thick veil of smoke or fog. Plus 3D glasses make already dark movie still more dark. I had to remove them all the time to see better what the monsters look like and what is going on. Still a galaxy better than the 1998 movie.

I kinda think that was the point, you really weren't supposed to see the monsters and it was to feel like a natural disaster or a nuclear warhead. At least, that's what I gathered from the reviews who praised the things you're saying are bad....

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:11 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
Grumpy Cat wrote:

I kinda think that was the point, you really weren't supposed to see the monsters and it was to feel like a natural disaster or a nuclear warhead. At least, that's what I gathered from the reviews who praised the things you're saying are bad....

Hiding the star of the show.

That would be like Freddy or Jason killing in the dark with the audience barely seeing anything.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:22 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 11 months ago
inactive
Other: Gay.
rgveda99 wrote:
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
Grumpy Cat wrote:

That would be like Freddy or Jason killing in the dark with the audience barely seeing anything.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Did you even WATCH Alien? Or the original Gojira? That's the whole point of how those movies are, you know, good. We don't see the monster so it builds up the suspense.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:29 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
Grumpy Cat wrote:

And it's like the very 1st film in the Alien series, too, which's another SF monster production. The following installments of the series, however, no longer handled it like that & they showed the monsters pretty clearly, since there was no point to do so, as the audience had already known pretty well how the monster looked, among its other characteristics.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
Did you even WATCH Alien?

Yes.

Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
Or the original Gojira?

No. I only watched the Justice League version with Super-Miley-Cyrus kicking its butt.

Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
That's the whole point of how those movies are, you know, good. We don't see the monster so it builds up the suspense.

When you hear stuff in FB like "It just looks like a guy in a rubber suit" it really isn't that suspenseful anymore. :lol:

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
And it's like the very 1st film in the Alien series, too, which's another SF monster production. The following installments of the series, however, no longer handled it like that & they showed the monsters pretty clearly, since there was no point to do so, as the audience had already known pretty well how the monster looked, among its other characteristics.

Alien 3 did the same thing. But that was totally awful to begin with. Alien 4 was dumb and fun at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:07 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Alien 3 did the same thing. But that was totally awful to begin with. Alien 4 was dumb and fun at the same time.

Yes, Alien 3 did that at 1st, since the 1st xenomorph appearing in it was quite different from the ones in the previous installments in that it wasn't bred from a human host, but a dog. However, the other monsters were shown clearly in it later on. The film is controversial & criticized by fans, but I don't think it's related to how it showed the monsters. lol And I like Alien 4 - consider that my guilty pleasure. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:09 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:

I figured out that much. Still, taking into account that USA poured into this project about as much money as Toho did for all their Godzilla movies combined during 50 years, I expected about 50 times more destruction and 50 times better special effects than what we can see in Japanese movies. Instead we got... monsters that hide in smoke and darkness about 50 times more of screen time.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:11 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 36 months ago
inactive
Grumpy Cat wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

No, it's worse. The new Godzilla is way too dark, but otherwise it's a decent movie.

Too dark lighting? Or Story? If you mean too dark as in story, I can't see it. The original concept of Godzilla is supposed to be dark, they wanted a more closer and realistic adaption. The life in Japan after the nuke dropping was insufferably painful for civilians for generation inward affected. Which Godzilla ws supposed to highlight. If anything Godzilla should have been grimmer than it was because of the original concepts.
Grumpy Cat wrote:
Tam Crystalwolf wrote:
I expected about 50 times more destruction and 50 times better special effects than what we can see in Japanese movies. Instead we got... monsters that hide in smoke and darkness about 50 times more of screen time.

Should have been more about war with Godzilla rather than running away from it or letting other monsters do the work for us. Chasing Godzilla should have been taken as seriously as 9/11 was with reaction and military response instead of making it seem like just an ongoing mystery.

Destruction wise, 2012 and Transformers level of destruction and chaos was what I expected, prayed for. Didnt get anything close.

Last edited by FatherOuranos on Sat May 17, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Usagi-Moonwalker wrote:
Too dark as in lighting?

Lighting. Most of the movie happens at night, with fog or smoke on top of that.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The writer of the film wants Mothra in the sequel.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1823376/godzill ... the-joker/

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Movie-Brat wrote:
The writer of the film wants Mothra in the sequel.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1823376/godzill ... the-joker/

Would be great if he could manage to do that. :cool:

My J-pop thread

Post subject: The Godzilla thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:31 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
Well its a thread about Godzilla
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Godzilla_%282014%29_poster.jpg
The king of the monsters.

I'm a fan of Godzilla. Is anyone else?

[edited by knm to change direct-linked image to a link]

Post subject: Re: The Godzilla thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:47 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
There're a few known Godzilla fans here, tho they don't post often. I also like the monster, but I like animals of various sizes, shapes, species, etc. in general. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
I like the new Godzilla movie. I don't get why people hate it.
I know it has very few Godzilla scenes ,but still...

Anyone have the Bandai creations (B.Cs)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias

The real Godzilla is back with revenge, in less than six months.

Are you excited? Do you think the real Godzilla will rape the USA wannabe Zilla in this new movie? :oh:

Post subject: Re: Godzilla Resurgence (July 29, 2016)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:37 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
I wonder just how scary and dark (in terms of tone) this new Toho Godzilla will be. After all, the directors promise this will be a terrifying version of the Big G.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:41 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:

The real Godzilla is back with revenge, in less than six months.

It's got some big names in both the cast & staff. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:04 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias

A new trailer. I think it's going to be a lot better than the USA 2014 Zilla.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:55 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ It also shows some current latest hardwares of the country's Ground, Maritime, & Air SDF (Self-Defense Forces), i.e. its de facto army, navy, & air force, respectively. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:17 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
The design for Shin Gojira looks like nightmare fuel. I laughed at its little arms, too. So is this a solo film? No kaiju opponents? And I'm weary of Hideaki Anno's involvement.

I actually didn't mind the recent Hollywood Godzilla movie. Could've been better, but at least it wasn't as bad as Final Wars.

Is there any more news on the new Gamera reboot, though? I saw that "trailer," which was kind of wicked since they're bringing back Dark Gamera (mind you, I adore Gamera the Brave).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:46 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Less than a month remaining. :oh:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
PteraRanger wrote:
The design for Shin Gojira looks like nightmare fuel. I laughed at its little arms, too. So is this a solo film? No kaiju opponents? And I'm weary of Hideaki Anno's involvement.

I actually didn't mind the recent Hollywood Godzilla movie. Could've been better, but at least it wasn't as bad as Final Wars.

Is there any more news on the new Gamera reboot, though? I saw that "trailer," which was kind of wicked since they're bringing back Dark Gamera (mind you, I adore Gamera the Brave).

You forgot to mention it was a heck of a lot better than the 1998 version as well. Now that was terrible (in terms of Godzilla design). The recent Hollywood version is not perfect, but at least they got Godzilla right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:46 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias

The second official trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
As a standalone, unrelated monster/action movie, Godzilla '98 is fine to me. It's amusing and I don't hate the design for the monster. It should have no relation to "Godzilla," though. That being said, I thought the spin-off cartoon was a lot better.

For the most part, I guess I've never been fond of solo Godzilla movies with the exception of the original. Godzilla Returns was nice to look at, but it was kind of tedious to get through. And Godzilla Millennium was embarrassing a lot of the time. Here's to hoping Resurgence is decent. The suit design is a bit much (in contrast to the usual props and sets) so I'm still trying to get adjusted to that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next