* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jem and the Holograms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nephlyte Starnova's recent post reminded me that I wanted to make a post that Jem is now airing on the Hub channel. Multiple times a day, in fact. It started about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to bump the old thread about it, because I remember back before the Hub debuted people were speculating as to whether it would air on that channel, but I couldn't find the thread because both "Jem" and "Hub" are three letters, and the minimum length for a word in the forum search is 4. :sad:

Post subject: Re: Jem and the Holograms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:19 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 76 months ago
inactive
Jem sux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:03 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nephlyte Starnova wrote:
Jem sux

Fantastic positive attitude there! P-:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:06 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
Yay! I assume you read my post, yes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I just remembered, Shout! Factory is going to be putting the DVDs out: http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/383/ ... z1PVaS6Df4

(Rhino put everything but the second half of the third season, a.k.a. my favorite part of the whole darned series, several years ago)

Between this and the Hub, I'm determined to see HQ Stingers episodes before the year is out!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 am 
inactive
:o

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002508948902

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I caught it 2 days ago, at least it has better production value then Josie and the Pussycats.

We want used games on Xbox 720 and PS4(Facebook Page)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:49 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I've been curious about this show for while now, but never got to see it yet. What exactly goes on in this show? What is it about?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:48 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Well, it's about this 1980s girl rock band that has a lead singer with a secret identity.

There's a rival girl rock band that's always out to get them, because apparently only one band is allowed to be successful or... something.

Right before every commercial break (I think two or three per episode?), our heroine, Jem, finds herself falling off a ski lift, trapped in a burning building, caught in an explosion, nearly getting plowed over by a runaway vehicle, etc.

There are at least 3 songs per episode, the majority of which are surprisingly awesome.

Most episodes, we get to watch Jem/Jerrica being jealous of herself and chasing after her obnoxious and borderline abusive boyfriend, usually while hysterically shrieking his name ("RIO!!!!!!!!")

And starting in the second half of season three, there's also the Stingers, a.k.a. "the greatest band that ever was." Starring Riot, who's sort of like Michael Bolton but with a better voice and the most fabulous hair any cartoon character has ever sported, and that includes Rapunzel.

I make fun, but it's only because I love it. :love: It's fun, campy, and loltastic. And it's everything I loved about the 1980s as a child XD

Also, there are toys!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:43 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
How balanced was the show in terms of appealing to its target audience gender-wise? Was it aimed primarily at girls? Or both girls and boys?

And what of the age range? Was it appealing to mostly grade school kids, or could older audiences (who hadn't started watching it as grade school children) enjoy it?

I ask because people who grew up on it keep putting it in the same league (and continuity) as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Transformers, Inhumanoids, and C.O.P.S. - all of which were action-based shows geared primarily to young boys.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:25 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 76 months ago
inactive
Conan the Adventurer and Gi Joe are better

Last edited by Nephlyte Starnova on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 58 months ago
inactive
I remember this show. I always liked her better than Barbie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:
How balanced was the show in terms of appealing to its target audience gender-wise? Was it aimed primarily at girls? Or both girls and boys?

And what of the age range? Was it appealing to mostly grade school kids, or could older audiences (who hadn't started watching it as grade school children) enjoy it?

I ask because people who grew up on it keep putting it in the same league (and continuity) as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Transformers, Inhumanoids, and C.O.P.S. - all of which were action-based shows geared primarily to young boys.

I think I would consider it equally geared to boys and girls, because even though many aspects of it (such as mostly-female cast, focus on relationships, lots of pink) appeal to girls, Hasbro and the network were really adamant that the show had to appeal to the boys, so there's a LOT of action. In fact, I'd say that apart from the girls and the pink, it was pretty comparable to the old G.I. Joe and Transformers from the same period. I think an older audience would definitely enjoy it, at least as much as those other two shows... there are some stupid things about it, but no stupider than what you'd find in Power Rangers, for example XD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:24 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just me or do I see a lot of Mamoru in Rio. Except eventully Usagi and Mamoru know each other's secrets. A little travia, the animation studio that animated this is what is known today is Toei.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
The Nostalgia Chick reviews Jem and the Holograms, and boy does she make it not look good. :lol:

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
zttmoon wrote:
Just me or do I see a lot of Mamoru in Rio. Except eventully Usagi and Mamoru know each other's secrets. A little travia, the animation studio that animated this is what is known today is Toei.

Now that you've mentioned it. Rio was the Mamoru of that show.

Sabrblade wrote:
The Nostalgia Chick reviews Jem and the Holograms, and boy does she make it not look good. :rantipole:

Your better off watching the show yourself and you decide for yourself.

Yoshi
Yoshi
zttmoon wrote:

Sabrblade wrote:
The Nostalgia Chick reviews Jem and the Holograms, and boy does she make it not look good. :rantipole:

Yoshi
Yoshi
zttmoon wrote:

Sabrblade wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
inactive
WTF? Thrice post. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Zoycite wrote:
WTF? Thrice post. :P

How the hell did I did that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 am 
inactive
My friend, funnyboy243, said that Jem 3rd season was playing on kid's discovery channel. WTF! :eek:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Zoycite wrote:
My friend, funnyboy243, said that Jem 3rd season was playing on kid's discovery channel. WTF! :eek:

Well that is what the Hub used to be called.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 pm 
inactive
zttmoon wrote:
Zoycite wrote:

Well that is what the Hub used to be called.

Oh. ^_^'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:07 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Wait wait wait, they can't be on Season 3 already! They were just playing a season one episode last week! :eek: I have to check now!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
SailorDonut wrote:
Wait wait wait, they can't be on Season 3 already! They were just playing a season one episode last week! :eek: I have to check now!!
Unless they skipped season 2 or aren't showing every single episode of the series. Such is a case with Men in Black: The Series and The Transformers (Generation 1). :|

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:13 am 
inactive
SailorDonut wrote:

He said the episode was from 1987...my bad...I thought 1987 was apart of Season 3 until I looked it up on Wikipedia. ^_^'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:40 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:

But honestly? What has Nostalgia Chick ever liked? I stopped watching her when she trashed Hocus Pocus and couldn't find anything more to criticize than one of the more forgettable running gags.

I wish I had Hub, I've wanted to try this ever since I heard my teacher went as Jem for Halloween.

I've never seen Jem, but from my research, it has been praised for having good songs, and characterization and plots better than the average cartoon. (In the 80's, so grading on a curve) It has been criticized for being contrived, and for being very 80's. It does seem to have some crossover with the Sailor Moon fandom, so I recommend giving it a try and letting us know your opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:30 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Sneakers Shingo wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

But honestly? What has Nostalgia Chick ever liked?
X-Men.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:53 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
Sneakers Shingo wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

But honestly? What has Nostalgia Chick ever liked?
X-Men.

Really? Guess I should've expected that. Hope she likes the episode my mom wrote for.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:30 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^What? Your mom's a writer for X-Men? :shocked:

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki