Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Continuing Power Rangers discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Episode 1 on Nick.com now - http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/power-rangers-dino-charge-501-full-episode.html

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Went into this hoping for it to be better than what we've gotten of the Neo-Saban era and...

I'll admit that it is a step up, but still doesn't seem quite up to par with Judd Lynn's previous series.

The backstory stuff was very cool, and probably the best part of the episode. Though, some things still felt a bit off like the Keeper's design being kinda weak with his lousy mouth movement and his lifeless facial expressions.

And that heart-themed villainess is very borderline to being annoying. I can see a lot of young boy viewers disliking her, for just her ridiculous design alone. It's almost like they're trying to play her as this Harley Quinn-esque villain but aren't quite there yet.

And, Sledge has made it clear that he wants to rule the universe. Uh, why? Why would a bounty hunter want to do that? Bounty hunters don't care about conquest and power, they care about profit and business. Sure, he also says that he wants to be rich, but that came off more as though it would be a side effect of the power he'd want to gain, rather than being his ultimate goal.

A few other things caught my attention in this backstory. While Sledge's minions are all bright and colorful in their designs, his design is very dark toned and desaturated in its colors, making his costume stand out much more in contrast to the Kyoryuger-original costumes.

And as a neat little nod of fanwank, the monster on the wanted poster he was reading was for one of Jungle Fury's Rinshi monsters. The fiery monkey one. Good luck getting the bounty on that guy, Sledge.

Then in the second half the episode, we're introduced to our would-be heroes and... they all feel about par for the course of what to expect from Neo-Saban Era rangers. Even with Judd Lynn at the helm, it still feels like they're trying to evoke the cheesy 90's, uber-goody-good, "Saved by the Bell"-esque feel of the original MMPR rangers. A rut they've been stuck in since Samurai and desperately need to get out of.

But among the five, there's something about one of them that stood out to me the most that just boggled the mind: Koda is a caveman. I knew this before watching the show since production materials and the toys themselves already revealed this bit, so it's not specifically his being a caveman that's confusing, It's that he's supposedly a caveman in the 21st century who is awake, already integrated into society, and is employed with a paying job. What, does he have a driver's license and pay taxes too? Why is he even a caveman if they're gonna start him out as already being mostly accustomed to society?

Yeah, sure, they could still do his origin story later with a flashback episode or something, but why even have them go with this angle if he's not even going to start out being like a caveman and instead already be past the point of awakening in the present and first adjusting to the 21st century? They might as well have not even gone with the caveman angle and jut made him an ordinary guy native to the present with bad manners, great strength. A high schooler who plays football or wrestling or something.

It's like if Operation Overdrive had started off with Mack already known as being an android and not calling that fact into question when it ought to stand out among the more normal rest of the world.

At least the theme song is cool, and they FINALLY got rid of the whole "characters speaking their name" part of it, as that was annoying.

I'll keep watching and hoping it gets better, but this first episode wasn't as impressive as I was hoping it would be.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

Last edited by Sabrblade on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Haven't watch the episode (will be watching on Nick) but from the reports I've read on Twitter, apparently they didn't use any Sentai footage.

I wonder about the rest of the episodes, I haven't watched Kyoryuger yet and don't plan to anytime soon so it'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:48 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Definitely the best premiere we've had in the Neo-Saban era. This seems to be going for slightly more comedic tone rather then taking itself too seriously like Samurai or Megaforce.

Some things I noticed while watching:
Spoiler: show
1. I think what bothers me about the keeper slightly more then the mouth movements is that he has one facial expression that doesn't change. Still, he's awesome!
2. Shelby's favourite is the triceratops. What an unbelievable coincidence! Oh boy, are you going to be happy in about 10 minutes.
3. Was anyone else expecting to see Koda get unfrozen from the ice in episode 2 or 3? I was.
4. You mean to tell me there's a cave with an active volcano inside that is in way closed off from the public! Par for the course for the government/police in the PR world.
5. An ice monster in a volcano. Of course. "I'm the most inconspicious thief ever. The secret is a giant black cloak that camoflages nothing! WAHAHAHA!"
6. Instamorph, yay!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:26 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
NJ_ wrote:
Haven't watch the episode (will be watching on Nick) but from the reports I've read on Twitter, apparently they didn't use any Sentai footage.
Correct. Not a single drop of Kyoryuger footage in this one.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:57 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
A few of us on Rangerboard got together and rewrote some the lyrics for the Gokaiger ending theme for Power Rangers. Just for fun.

It's not finished yet. We haven't done the chorus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWolf25
"Power Rangers!
Let this legendary tale of heroes be told,
Watch their treasured history unfold!"

"Mighty Morphin' began it all,
Thunder came when the old zords fell,
A Ninja quest is what came next,
Before changing suits at good's behest."

Originally Posted by ShadowThePika
A Zeo beginning shapes their future
Shift into Turbo, for a lava creature
Chase Into Space to rescue and flee,
A Quasar Quest to the Lost Galaxy

Originally Posted by Peter
Rescue at the speed of light!
A team from the future here to fight.
Protecting nature with an island of zords,
Ninjas appear from a growing storm.

Originally Posted by ShadowThePika
After school is a blast from the past.
Space Patrol Delta takes 'em down fast!
The magic inside keeps them together,
The number one team for finding treasure!

Originally Posted by SnowWolf25
"Master's of a furious art,
RPM will make the dark clouds part,
Swordsmen fight the Nighlok freed.
Now this team, you're up to speed!"

And just for giggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold
Unleash Dragon power from the blitz,
Prism showers foes with glitz
Aura from Lightning, also blitz,
Supersonic sort of fits.

http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.p ... 0&page=158

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:50 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
After the lackluster Megaforce (I liked Samurai for what it was worth when not compared to Shinkenger), Dino Charge shows a lot of promise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
SnowWolf, that is awesome, but Alien got left out. :(

matt0044 wrote:
After the lackluster Megaforce (I liked Samurai for what it was worth when not compared to Shinkenger), Dino Charge shows a lot of promise.
Its first episode didn't impress me that much, even with Judd Lynn at the helm of this one.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... der/.83974

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
SnowWolf wrote:

A suggestion: change the last part to something like this to account for the Alien Ranger team.
"Alien came at good's behest"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:55 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Maetch wrote:
SnowWolf wrote:

A suggestion: change the last part to something like this to account for the Alien Ranger team.
"Alien came at good's behest"
Or maybe "Aquitians came at good's behest"

In fact, since there are about half as many PR seasons as there are Sentai series, perhaps instead of having one line per season in the PR version of the song, give two lines to each one (while squeezing the last two into the little "Super Sentai let's go!" bit).

Something like:

Mighty Morphin' began it all,
As five teens answered Zordon's call,
To fight Lord Zedd and break his spell
With Metallic Armor to prove their best
Alien Rangers from another world
Came to save the day when time was twirled
A Zeo beginning shapes their future
Power of Gold is strong and sure
Shift into Turbo as engines roar
Turbo-charged forevermore!

Chase Into Space to rescue and flee,
From the universe to infinity
A Quasar Quest for you and me
In and out the Lost Galaxy
Rescue at the speed of light!
Titanium power upped the fight
A force from the future fightin' crime
Arresting mutants just in time
Protecting nature, united they roar
Guardians of Earth with an island of zords,
Ninjas from a growing storm.
Wind and Thunder brought to form!

After school's a blast from the past
Prehistory awoke as dinos clashed
Space Patrol Delta to the rescue
Protect and serve is what they do
Tapping into a magical source
Reveals the power of Mystic Force
Kicking into Operation Overdrive
Makes treasure hunting come alive
Masters of a furious art,
With animal spirits from the heart
RPM gets into gear
Fight Venjix with no fear!

Samurai!
Super!
Megaforce!
Super!
Power Rangers let go!

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:

matt0044 wrote:
Its first episode didn't impress me that much, even with Judd Lynn at the helm of this one.

Well it's clearly the start of the story that's in progress. I'm mostly judging by how it gets me curious for the episodes to come.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
matt0044 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

matt0044 wrote:

Well it's clearly the start of the story that's in progress. I'm mostly judging by how it gets me curious for the episodes to come.
I'm still gonna watch it, but evidence shows that it's likely still stuck in the rut of being too saccharine and patronizing when compared to a lot of seasons that came before the Neo-Saban era.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:
-----

I think that's particular aspect has been downplayed or at least is being done better from how I see it. Guess I just have a taste for it (Kyoryuger was similar in a way) *shrugs* Ah well, that's my take. Your take is your own.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:10 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
matt0044 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
-----

I think that's particular aspect has been downplayed or at least is being done better from how I see it. Guess I just have a taste for it (Kyoryuger was similar in a way) *shrugs* Ah well, that's my take. Your take is your own.
What's with the five dashes? :?

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:15 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Further developments on the Ricardo Medina arrest story.

No charges will be filed as the DA requested further investigation of the case - http://abc7.com/news/no-charges-filed-t ... jr/502465/

And Medina has been released from jail - http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video/11 ... or-murder/

Looks like self-defense laws do cover use of swords, and the guy apparently caused his own death rather than Medina executing him.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm 
Luna
Luna
Robbie Amell wants to play the red ranger in the new MMPR Movie

Don't think he'll get it, he's a bit old.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:28 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
-----

What's with the five dashes? :?

Sorry, couldn't quote three posts for some reason.

In any case, I liked the first episode for how it sets things up and leaves us with questions to later be answered. How will the other Rangers get their Energems? How did Sledge and his crew survive the cataclysm on Earth? I enjoy mystery and considering this series won't be a copy-paste translation of Kyoryuger, that makes it better.

I also hope Torin is adapted into the show as the Silver Ranger (maybe as one of Sledge's bounties who escapes).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
I'd like to see whether or not if Kyoryu Cyan's actor will play Dino Charge Cyan or whatever it'll be called, I mean he's from Canada and of course speaks english, So I don't see why they wouldn't try getting him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:12 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
redsamurairanger wrote:
I'd like to see whether or not if Kyoryu Cyan's actor will play Dino Charge Cyan or whatever it'll be called, I mean he's from Canada and of course speaks english, So I don't see why they wouldn't try getting him.

Well, there might be complications that might prevent him from joining. As an actor, he might have too busy of a schedule.

Just saying. :neutral:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Kyoryu Cyan - Aqua Ranger
Kyoryu Grey - Graphite Ranger
Kyoryu Violet - Purple Ranger
Kyoryu Silver - Silver Ranger
Deathryuger/Kyoryu Navy - Talon Ranger

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 pm 
inactive
Sabrblade wrote:
Sledge has made it clear that he wants to rule the universe. Uh, why? Why would a bounty hunter want to do that? Bounty hunters don't care about conquest and power, they care about profit and business. Sure, he also says that he wants to be rich, but that came off more as though it would be a side effect of the power he'd want to gain, rather than being his ultimate goal.

I recall Darkonda in Space being the same thing: a small-time bounty hunter with big aspirations of conquest, enough to side with Dark Specter and bide his time while waiting for a chance to overthrow him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:28 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Maetch wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Sledge has made it clear that he wants to rule the universe. Uh, why? Why would a bounty hunter want to do that? Bounty hunters don't care about conquest and power, they care about profit and business. Sure, he also says that he wants to be rich, but that came off more as though it would be a side effect of the power he'd want to gain, rather than being his ultimate goal.

I recall Darkonda in Space being the same thing: a small-time bounty hunter with big aspirations of conquest, enough to side with Dark Specter and bide his time while waiting for a chance to overthrow him.
He kinda seemed to cease being any kind of bounty hunter once he joined up with Astronema.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:37 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
I know it's way too early, But are there any predictions on what kind of team up Dino Charge may have, That's not with Megaforce or the previous Dino Ranger teams? Maybe something akin to Super Hero Taisen/Z without any veteran rangers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:44 pm 
inactive
Sabrblade wrote:
Maetch wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

He kinda seemed to cease being any kind of bounty hunter once he joined up with Astronema.

And I recall that he was kissing up to DS since before Astronema even existed, even being the one who kidnapped poor little Karone and brought her to him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Maetch wrote:
And I recall that he was kissing up to DS since before Astronema even existed, even being the one who kidnapped poor little Karone and brought her to him.
Now you got me thinking Dark Specter hired Darkonda to hunt and capture Karone. Why Dark Specter wanted Karone, however, I can't rationalize.

Though, in the present day, he did no bounty hunting of any kind during his time as an ally of Astronema.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:22 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
So three episodes in and Dino Charge's pretty good. Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg…

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:44 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Okay... I've finally gotten caught up with episodes 2 and 3 of Dino Charge and... I'm taken aback.

While I will still remain firm that episode 1 was kind of a dud, these two have turned me around on the show.

After four sluggish years in this Neo-Saban era, it is finally no longer dumb. Several of the complaints I had with the first episode and with the preview clip of the second episode have been quenched. The car blowing up in the air now makes sense since it was indeed smoking and leaking gasoline, which the clip avoided showing for some reason.

And Koda's being a caveman while already employed at the museum is being handled en medias res like how RPM started its present day story with three of the Rangers already being active. Further helping this is he and Chase already being Rangers as well, while Tyler, Shelby, and Riley are just starting out.

Speaking of Riley, I was really impressed with how they introduced him, giving him a bit of a backstory from the get-go with his life on a farm and fighting Fury around the same time that Tyler and Shelby were fighting Iceage. It really helped in showing why he was chosen to be a Ranger and what makes him worthy.

And the morphed fight against Iceage and the Vivix was, oh my goodness, it was cool. Like, when Tyler jumped into his T-Rex Zord's mouth and had it shoot him at Iceage while he himself was already shooting at Iceage with his own gun, thereby turning him into ammunition-shooting ammunition... that was CRAZY awesome!

And man are the Vivix creepy in their design. Especially when they merge into the giant Vivizords, those things look like something straight out of a Tim Burton flick!

And then Episode 3's plot with Sledge actually confronting the Rangers himself so early into the series, AND putting them in their place by mopping the floor with them! We're only three episodes in and already has the main big bad proved his might and superiority over the Rangers! And he gives them an ultimatum that is not only a credible threat, but a diversion from his real plan: Finding the Rangers' base! I always prefer it when the Power Ranger villains don't know the location of the Rangers' HQ, and here we get another such case. And what's more, the monster succeeds in finding their base, but only fails to deliver this acquired knowledge to Sledge because the Rangers had to catch and kill him before he could. SNAP!

And they're even putting in some personal history between Fury and several characters like Koda and Tyler's dad. All this is WAY more effort than what we got from the last four years. :thumbsup:

However...

There are still a few things that bug me a bit. For one, an issue I had with the first episode is still prevalent: Tyler is a dweeb. He's too saccharine and goody-goody as a character, like he stepped out of a PBS Kids series or something.

And while I appreciate them handling Koda's being a caveman in a way that seems like his origin will be explored some more to make more sense, I still wish that we had gotten his origin first thing, before his already being integrated into the 21st century. As I said before, it's like with RPM already having three of the Rangers being active. While I like RPM, I wish we could have gotten to see when and how Scott, Flynn, and Summer had first become Ranger Operators, and that they could have been shown before their en medias res Ranger careers seen during Dillon's and Ziggy's arrival in Corinth. I just like the beginning of the story to be at the beginning of the story.

Same goes for he and Chase first getting their Energems and they and Kendall meeting Keeper.

Speaking of which, Keeper (why is it not "the Keeper"?) still has lousy facial expressions. His face might as well have been a static mask with no mouth/eye movement.

But overall, this show has raised my spirits and I hope it is able to stay at least as good as it is now, since right now, it's about on par with Zeo, which is a good thing since no PR series should ever fall back below Zeo's average-but-watchable quality.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:34 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
The Red Ranger has just been cast for the new MMPR remake movie.

Some guy name Dacre Montgomery got the part according to Instagram.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:36 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ame/.97433

Looks like Saban will be skipping ToQger for next year's adaptation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next