Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Continuing Power Rangers discussion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
First look at the non-combining version toy of the Megazord for the new movie - https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status ... 2059727872

Quote:
Interactive #PowerRangersMovie Megazord with expandable wings, battle sounds, LED effects + all 5 Rangers. ⚡️ Stay tuned for pre-sale dates!
Click to enlarge

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:18 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
That is really strange and ugly. Maybe if it was all silver it would look better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:09 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hey guys, check this out.

While we're currently have Ninja Steel on Nick and will soon be having the new movie, South Korea's getting their very own new and exclusive Super Sentai/Power Rangers content!

South Korea has been dubbing Super Sentai series under the name "Power Rangers" for a while now, with each series given their own Korean-original titles like "Power Rangers Dino Force" for Kyoryuger (not to be confused with the American Power Rangers Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge) and "Power Rangers Train Force" for ToQger. And while Korea will probably get its own dub of Ninninger as well, it will also be getting a newly-made Korean-exclusive sequel to its dub of Kyoryuger!

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/02/power-rangers-dino-force-brave-announced

Quote:
Power Rangers Dino Force Brave Announced for South Korean Broadcast

South Korean company, Daewon Animation, has announced its latest production, Power Rangers Dino Force Brave.

Daewon Animation has brought Korean dubs of Super Sentai shows to South Korea for over a decade, each given their own unique “Power Rangers” title. The 2013 Super Sentai series, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, known as Power Rangers Dino Force, sported the most successful Power Rangers toy line for the South Korean market and grew to massive popularity within the country.

In response to the popularity of both the show and toy line, a new series titled, Power Rangers Dino Force Brave has been announced. The 12 episode series is expected to air in April and is advertised as containing the first Korean cast in a Power Rangers series.

A press conference meeting is currently scheduled to take place on March 2nd and will reveal licensing details as well as more information on the production.

Now, while this has very little to do with the American Power Rangers series, I felt it was still cool enough a milestone for the Korean Power Rangers to warrant a mention.

More info on the Korean "Power Rangers" dubs of Super Sentai can be found here - http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Sentai#South_Korea

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I have to admit that I'm starting to feel the hype for this movie now the closer we get.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The early reviews for the movie are out and in spite of my attempts to keep an open mind, it doesn't look good. It's got a 50% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. All the reviews I've read so far make it sound less like Power Rangers and more like Bayformers. I'm not sure why they took it in this direction and I'm especially bothered by how they seem to be following the Michael Bay route and sexualizing all the "humor" in the film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Just got back from seeing it.

Spoiler: show
Okay, this is not the movie I wanted, but I was surprised by how much I found myself liking it. It is not perfect. Has a number of issues, minor and major, when you think about it. But overall, I think what surprised me the most about it, which also made me appreciate it even more, it how it isn't a "dumb" movie. This film doesn't treat its audience like we're stupid. It does ask us to suspend our disbelief in a lot of places, but never outright insults our intelligence.

Recreating Angel Grove as a smaller town instead of a big city may at first sound iffy since that would prevent us from seeing any giant monster/giant robot skyscraper destruction, but honestly, I ultimate felt that that was more beneficial to the movie in the end, as having smaller-sized buildings prevented the collateral damage from seeming as obnoxious and distracting as it was in such films as Transformers: Dark of the Moon or Man of Steel. And regardless of the lack of skyscrapers, the sheer enormity of both Goldar and the Megazord was still made very clear and very impressive in this movie. Though, while I agree with those who wished that we could have seen more of the Megazord transformation in clear view, I did rather like the surprise reveal approach that they went with instead, as it made for a fun "Oh slag" reaction from everyone. Maybe in a sequel we'll get a more traditional onscreen combination sequence.

One of my biggest fears going into this movie was how much emphasis it would put on the teenage angst of the rangers. The last thing I wanted for this movie was for it to become a depressing emo fest devoid of any joy or levity in the rangers' civilian lives. And at first, it started to seem like it might go in that direction, what with the detention scene and those girls insulting Kimberly in the girls' restroom. What's more is that Billy's autism at first seemed to be played so hamfisted and artificial that it began to frustrate me seeing his condition played the way it was, being a diagnosed person myself.

However, once the film began to really explore the rangers on a more personal level, having them share their inner demons with each other, that when the film finally formed a more personal connection between the characters and the audience. I just didn't like how long it took for the film to do so. And yet, I say that but, honestly, that introversion that took so long for the film to break the ice between the characters and the audience is very realistic. A lot of teenagers in real life can be and are closed off individuals who take a while to open up and let others into their lives, much like how these rangers took forever to let us, the audience, into their own lives. That's not only a touch more believable portrayal of teens than any season of the show has done, it's also a touch more deeper than what the show has done. These characters have skeletons in their closet that the each must overcome, but which served to enhance their roles in the story, the characterizations of their individual personalities, and their developmental growth throughout the film.

What's more is that this particular depiction of the rangers as a dysfunctional team, along with many other aspects of this film, feels like a deconstruction of the common tropes of the show. In MMPR, Zordon got stuck with a team of goody-goods who made the Saved by the Bell cast look subtle, while here, he instead gets a team of actual misfits who bear more of a resemblance to The Breakfast Club, and I say that in the best way possible. What's more is that, unlike in the show where morphing and fighting come almost naturally to any new ranger team (thanks in no small part to use of Sentai footage), these rangers instead have to train how to fight and morph, needing to learn how to morph and to earn the ability to morph itself. Zordon doesn't just hand the ranger equipment over to these teens on a silver platter, he doesn't even think that these teens are right for the job, only begrudgingly accepting these "children" as the new rangers at first. Thus, the rangers instead have to prove their worth both to Zordon and to themselves through a growing process. Said process even shows just how in over their heads they are when they decide to confront Rita by themselves at a point when they aren't ready to do so. And because they weren't ready, there was a consequence that they had to suffer, one that any ranger team on the show rarely ever had to endure.

Making Goldar into a non-speaking monster didn't sound appealing to me at first, but it ultimately didn't bother me that much in the movie. In fact, there were some moments in which I noticed some little nuances and subtleties in his bahavior just through his body movement. During the zord fight when the rangers first think they've killed Rita, Goldar notices Rita's fallen body and stops fighting the zords to lend some of his gold to her to heal her injuries. And later when he picks her up right after the zords combined into the Megazord, before Rita fused with Goldar to augment his power, it almost looked like Goldar picked up Rita not mainly for the purpose of her fusing with him, but because he wanted to protect her. I might need to see the movie again to notice more, but it was these little moments that led me to believe that Goldar did have some degree of a will and an awareness of his own.

That said, for as little personality as Goldar had, Rita didn't have much either. But frankly, this movie making Rita interesting was hardly a concern of mine since, having seen how dysfunctional the rangers were, I knew good and well that the rangers needed the most focus and development and wanted them to get as much as possible. Sure, that meant sacrificing any attention needed to be given towards developing Rita, but Rita in the show was never really that interesting anyway. She was basic there and she's basic here, but it didn't bother me. She felt less like a character and more like a force for the rangers to overcome, and I kinda felt like that worked more towards the benefit of the rangers' development. Although, I did like the fact that Rita attacked Trini in her own home, as though as finally satisfy all those critics of the show who have asked "If Rita knows who the rangers are, then why doesn't she just attack their homes?" Another point of deconstructing the TV show.

Backing up to Zordon a bit, I liked how frustrated a character he was. Here is a person who has literally lost everything besides his very being. Everyone he knew and loved is dead, killed by one he once considered a friend. He put his faith in the Morphing Grid that it would choose worthy successors for the Power Ranger powers, and is instead given a bunch of inexperienced, undisciplined, dishonorable youths whom he sees as unworthy of such power, and yet wants to believe that the Morphing Grid didn't make a mistake in its choosing these five kids, for his faith is one of the few things he has left. What's more is how he at first manipulates the rangers, wanting them to morph so that he can restore himself to life, which creates a rift between himself and the rangers once they find out, which in turn leads to the rangers making their aforementioned mistake of confronting Rita before they're ready, which they paid the price for. It is through all this that Zordon has to redeem himself once the rangers manage to finally open the Morphing Grid, enabling Zordon to free himself. And yet, Zordon sacrifices his freedom to save Billy's life instead, mending the rift that had formed between Zordon and the rangers earlier.

Finally, let's take a look at the nerdy fanservice we got out of this movie. The 90's MMPR: The Movie version of "Go Go Power Rangers" played when all five zords were deployed. Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson were among the cheering crowd of civilians near the end. Jason's dad mentioned "Mariner Bay" and "Reefside" as the names of coastal locations in Angel Grove. As Goldar gets bigger, Rita declares "Make my monster grow." Alpha, of course, uses his iconic "Ay yi yi" at least twice in the film. Zordon quotes the three Power Ranger rules almost word-for-word from their original MMPR uses. The Megazord is formed when the zords get pushed into a fiery pit by Goldar, calling to mind the scenes from certain MMPR episodes (most notably the fifth part of "Green With Evil") of the zords emerging from fiery underground pits before combining into the Megazord. And of course, Tommy Oliver is given a soft introduction in the mid-credits scene.

And for some external references, Billy referred to Spider-Man and Iron Man when speculating what kind of superheroes they would be as Power Rangers. Spider-Man's spandex-clad appearance is comparable to those of the rangers of the TV show and of Super Sentai, and his Japanese Tokusatsu series was done in the same vein that Super Sentai and later Power Rangers would become known for. Meanwhile Iron Man's suit is what many were making comparisons to with the ranger suits of this movie before it came out. And a yellow Camaro gets tossed at Goldar at one point, with Billy yelling "Sorry, Bumblebee!" :lol:

Overall, this was a surprisingly decent endeavor at making a Power Rangers movie for the more cynical movie audiences of today.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
In spite of my reservations about the film, I decided to go see it on opening day and ended up really enjoying it a lot! I think what made the movie work so well was the casting. They really had the perfect cast as they all made the kids feel genuine and they all had great chemistry together. Elizabeth Banks was incredible as Rita who I thin did a terrific job of playing up her campy side but also making her feel threatening and creepy at the same time. I also really enjoyed that the movie had a good balance of dark and dramatic moments but it also seemed self aware of the campiness of Power Rangers. The whole subplot with Kripspy Kreme felt very deliberately like it was a satire of product placement in action movies to me and oddly it worked for me (I ended up getting some donuts at the store later myself). My only big issue was I still didn't like the sex jokes or the thing about Kimberly and the nude photos. I felt like that was unnecessary and my biggest worry about the movie. All the reviews made it seem like this was going to be like Michael Bay's Transformers but it ended up being not that bad but I think it still would have been a better film if they did a different backstory for Jason and Kimberly. All together though I really enjoyed the movie and I'm really hoping we'll get a sequel as I want to see what else they do with this reboot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:00 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guestie's onii-chan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... s-roommate Holy crap.....

Never even knew this happened until I saw that report today

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

4K/HD Blu-ray/Digital: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KTZRYB
Blu-ray/DVD/Digital: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727PMH49
DVD-only: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718XDP7F

I think I'll buy the 4K release because it comes with the regular BD as well and will be useful for when I eventually get a 4K TV & Blu-ray player. It beats buying it a second time when the time comes to upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
^^^I'll Pass on it myself that movie was the flop I predicted it would be XD Power Rangers 2: Krispy Creme's Revenge!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:13 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... gers2.html

Quote:
Blu-ray/4K UHD Combo Pack extras will include:
•Audio Commentary with Director Dean Israelite and Writer John Gatins
•The Power of the Present Documentary:
◦Rangers Then to Now
◦Building the Team
◦Beyond the Rangers
◦Suiting Up
◦Rangers, Welcome to Training
◦Rangers in the Wild
◦It’s Morphin Time
◦Power Ballad: Music and Sound
◦This is Your Destiny
•Deleted/Alternate/Extended Scenes
•Outtakes
•Theatrical Trailer with Audio Commentary by Director Dean Israelite

DVD extras will include:
•Audio Commentary with Director Dean Israelite and Writer John Gatins
•Deleted/Alternate/Extended Scenes
•Outtakes

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13553885
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13559367

Quote:
Oh good... now that the details have been officially announced I can reveal a few more details.

Yes... Dolby Atmos and the documentary I produced for the disc (The Power of the Present, which is comprised of those pieces from Rangers Then to Now to This is Your Destiny) runs 2 hours 20 minutes. If you don't absolutely LOVE Becky G and RJ Cyler after seeing them in the doc... I don't know about you.

There will be 3 retailer exclusives (1 packaging exclusive, 1 video content exclusive on disc, 1 video content exclusive on digital HD).

Quote:
That being said why do they have Audio Commentary with Director Dean Israelite and Writer John Gatins and not Audio Commentary with the cast? I'd rather hear what the cast has to say about the movie.

I have an answer. Cast was nearly impossible to gather all together in the time we needed them by. Having said that... the commentary with Dean and John is one of the best I've ever recorded. It's extremely detailed, funny, and pretty non-stop. Not a lot of silent patches. They actually explain the inclusion of Krispy Kreme and it's pretty solid reasoning that has NOTHING to do with product placement.

Also, the doc is 2 hours and 20 minutes and the cast is VERY represented throughout it. I don't think anyone who buys this disc will be disappointed (if they like the movie, that is).

Notes:

-The 3 retailer exclusives seems to be for Target, Best Buy & Wal-Mart and reading up on Lionsgate's track record with these, Target might be the one getting the bonus disc and Best Buy with the steelbook packaging (Not surprising considering Best Buy's failed attempt at Viz's Hunter x Hunter 2011 steelbook). I wonder if Wal-Mart's digital extras is the same as Target's disc extras because I recall some movies like Pacific Rim getting different extras in it's retailer-exclusives.

Spoiler: show
-According to Jason David Frank, he and Amy Jo Johnson had a second cameo filmed which was scrapped. It was filmed before the cameo that did make the movie because he actually had his 90s ponytail (source). I hope this makes it to the deleted scenes extra.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Oh man, all those extras sound awesome!

Befitting the awesome movie that it was. :cool:

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
It still has me worried about any potential sequels if we're getting the Blu Ray so soon but still no announcement about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:41 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^There is still China which hasn't finished it's theatrical run yet and Japan won't get theirs until July so it'll be a while before we get the final results.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I doubt we'll get the six part series Saban envisioned though or even a full trilogy which I feel like we at least need to fully flesh out the story. It's too bad since I was kind of hoping we could see a reboot of the season two Rangers.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:39 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Looks like Target is getting the steelbook this time.

That means Best Buy should get the extras disc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 738 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25