* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PC vs Mac
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sorry, that's a Windows software. I'm a Mac person. :P

EDIT: I did not create this topic. The post written above was a part of another post I made under the Sailor Moon Center thread, but since it kinda created a debate of Macs and PCs, the responses were moved here by a mod into their own thread. You can discuss the two computers all you want. Just please leave me out of it.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Center Down?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 am 
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

http://www.bittorrent.com/downloads/mac

I've been using bittorrent for years, and it works for mac too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:33 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 36 months ago
inactive
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ!

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&outp ... 24&bih=571

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac
utorrent is the best torrent software ever. you're missing out if you're not using torrents, there's SOOOO much stuff you can get, it's unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Time to upgrade to a Windows system. I don't have much affection for anyone's excuse to using anything from crApple.

For the price of a Mac, you could have 3 Windows PCs and have money left over.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MrShoujo wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Time to upgrade to a Windows system. I don't have much affection for anyone's excuse to using anything from crApple.

For the price of a Mac, you could have 3 Windows PCs and have money left over.

They would also last half as long. Just sayin. :) I'm very happy with my computer. My mom's is going on 8 years now, and still works perfectly (and they hold trade in value as well).

You have your computer, I have mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 am 
inactive
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They would also last half as long. Just sayin. :)

Well given the simple fact that you have no idea of how to torrent or research on how to do so, it's not surprising that you'd have no idea of how to maintain or troubleshoot your PC either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 48 months ago
inactive
MS-14A wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Well given the simple fact that you have no idea of how to torrent or research on how to do so, it's not surprising that you'd have no idea of how to maintain or troubleshoot your PC either.

I used to have the opposite problem until I started having to use a mac at work. Over time I became more comfortable with it and may buy a mac to replace the laptop PC I have now.

I'm not willing to pick a side until I've owned both, on that note, I've heard great things about each system.

I do, however, believe that it's easier for PC users to use a Mac than it is for Mac users to use a PC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rhett Butler wrote:
I do, however, believe that it's easier for PC users to use a Mac than it is for Mac users to use a PC.

I also don't own both but have used both, & have to agree on that, as the user interface of Macs is more user friendly. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
MS-14A wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

partly because you don't need to do as much maintenance or troubleshooting on a Mac. i switched like six years ago, and it really weirded me out that i didn't have to regularly do stuff like defrag, but it's made my life so much easier. i mean you can/there are [third-party] programs for Mac defrags but, they're not necessary except in the rarest of situations.

i dropped my first MacBook in a parking lot and shattered the screen, but was still able to get away with using it for a year before replacing it. this was a machine i bought in 2006, and it still runs pretty much no issue as of two years ago with the minor exception of the wifi being not so great. (i replaced the LCD display myself about 4 years ago.)

the machine i'm using right now is like 4 years old, and it's still better/faster than the Windows computers at the schools i work at. (granted that statement is more a dig at the state of technology in the Japanese school system than it is at Windows itself. lol i've dealt with some seriously worrisome computers at work. still running XP and so full of spyware/adware/who-knows-what-else that i seriously wanted to wash my hands after using it.)

anyway, i really can't be bothered to hate on Windows users that much, different computers for different people. tbh, i'm not really sure i like the way Apple laptops are seeming to be headed. less user-friendly in terms of changing even basic stuff like batteries... and i also don't really like iOS, either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
teabot wrote:
i dropped my first MacBook in a parking lot and shattered the screen, but was still able to get away with using it for a year before replacing it. this was a machine i bought in 2006, and it still runs pretty much no issue as of two years ago with the minor exception of the wifi being not so great. (i replaced the LCD display myself about 4 years ago.)

the machine i'm using right now is like 4 years old...

I bought my PC in 2005 and I'm typing this very message from it right now. And it's still the only computer I'm using for Internet, applications, watching movies, and playing video games. So which one is more reliable and longer living? My PC apparently serves me longer than both your Macs together. :tongue:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
teabot wrote:
MS-14A wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

partly because you don't need to do as much maintenance or troubleshooting on a Mac. i switched like six years ago, and it really weirded me out that i didn't have to regularly do stuff like defrag, but it's made my life so much easier. i mean you can/there are [third-party] programs for Mac defrags but, they're not necessary except in the rarest of situations.

System transparency is pretty important for ordinary users - they shouldn't be supposed/required to know & worry about the internal workings of the system software & hardware, as what concerns them is the application software, below which it should be as automated as technically feasible.

Quote:
the machine i'm using right now is like 4 years old, and it's still better/faster than the Windows computers at the schools i work at. (granted that statement is more a dig at the state of technology in the Japanese school system than it is at Windows itself. lol i've dealt with some seriously worrisome computers at work. still running XP and so full of spyware/adware/who-knows-what-else that i seriously wanted to wash my hands after using it.)

The students in your school are naughty. :mischief:

Quote:
tbh, i'm not really sure i like the way Apple laptops are seeming to be headed. less user-friendly in terms of changing even basic stuff like batteries... and i also don't really like iOS, either.

Yes, at present they seem to be less concerned w/ the compatibilities between different generations of their products & product parts - maybe they're too focused on making the most money in the short run, which's a worrying trend for them & their users/fans. :ninja:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm 
inactive
Maraviollantes wrote:
teabot wrote:

I bought my PC in 2005 and I'm typing this very message from it right now. And it's still the only computer I'm using for Internet, applications, watching movies, and playing video games. So which one is more reliable and longer living? My PC apparently serves me longer than both your Macs together. :tongue:

i switched to Mac, well because i had been wanting to for a long time anyway, but also because i was completely fed up of my prior Windows computer which barely lasted even one year. BSoD, srs motherboard issues, screen cable connectivity issues--even after in-warranty repairs. it was a mess. (even the in-warranty we-****ed-up-so-here's-a-new-computer was also a piece of ☹.)

had the LCD replacement not been so cost-prohibitive in 2009, i would've had no real reason to upgrade, and could feasibly still be using that machine. but the crack got so that lcd goop was covering 95% of the screen and buying a new laptop made more sense than buying either the LCD replacement or an external monitor at the time, so...

plus i've found that displays on Macs are much better for graphic work, which is what i studied in college and still work on now, so absolutely worth it.

but if you're using the same machine from 2005, have you upgraded it at all?

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
The students in your school are naughty. :mischief:

unfortunately, i'm talking about the single internet-connected computer in the staff room. (because you know, if only one computer is connected to the internet, there's no way that we have to worry about viruses on the rest of them. despite using USB keys to transfer data from the internet-capable computer to the non-internet ones. :roll: ) not accusing anyone of being naughty, but Japanese people in general tend to know shockingly little about how to [properly] use computers. like, people are amazed merely at touch typing. don't believe the technology hype.

Post subject: Re: PC vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 pm 
inactive
Knowing how to maintain your PC is almost as important as knowing how to maintain your car. If you don't know even the basics, you ca...no WILL end up getting royally ripped off in the long run. So I hardly think that being too lazy to learn how your machine works is hardly an excuse to prefer one kind over another. And handing your machine to a bunch of paid idiots that don't know what they're doing is much in the same vain as sending your car to an unscrupulous mechanic. If you learn how to troubleshoot your machine, unless you do something really bad like break the screen as someone has already mentioned, you're not going to have any major problems making it last for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
teabot wrote:
as much maintenance or troubleshooting on a Mac. i switched like six years ago, and it really weirded me out that i didn't have to regularly do stuff like defrag, but it's made my life so much easier. i mean you can/there are [third-party] programs for Mac defrags but, they're not necessary except in the rarest of situations.

You don't NEED to, no, but it really helps. Some regular maintenance is a good idea no matter what OS you're using. I repair disk permissions at least once a month to make sure there aren't any issues and since I have a smaller HD, I like to try to optimize my disk space as much as possible. Not needing maintenance or anti-virus software on Macs is a myth -- they aren't targeted like Windows is, but there are viruses and spyware out there and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

teabot wrote:
anyway, i really can't be bothered to hate on Windows users that much, different computers for different people.

Exactly my feelings. I don't hate Windows (though I'm really not liking Windows 8, it's too much of a mobile OS to look good on a personal computer), I just like my Mac for personal use. I'm a computer studies major going into hardware repair/maintenance and I'm not looking forward to dealing with haters on either side. :( I don't care what people spend their money on as long as it works for them.

Formerly Sailor Cybertron.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
teabot wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
teabot wrote:

i switched to Mac, well because i had been wanting to for a long time anyway, but also because i was completely fed up of my prior Windows computer which barely lasted even one year. BSoD, srs motherboard issues, screen cable connectivity issues--even after in-warranty repairs. it was a mess. (even the in-warranty we-****ed-up-so-here's-a-new-computer was also a piece of ☹.)

I've got a pretty similar experience, tho it could be due to hardware problems caused by bad manufacture quality.

Quote:
plus i've found that displays on Macs are much better for graphic work, which is what i studied in college and still work on now, so absolutely worth it.

That's what they've long been well-known for, :) tho their such advantage has been eroding nowadays.

MS-14A wrote:
Knowing how to maintain your PC is almost as important as knowing how to maintain your car. If you don't know even the basics, you ca...no WILL end up getting royally ripped off in the long run. So I hardly think that being too lazy to learn how your machine works is hardly an excuse to prefer one kind over another. And handing your machine to a bunch of paid idiots that don't know what they're doing is much in the same vain as sending your car to an unscrupulous mechanic. If you learn how to troubleshoot your machine, unless you do something really bad like break the screen as someone has already mentioned, you're not going to have any major problems making it last for a long time.

The key word is "basics," which should be made as lil required as possible - the machine should be designed & made to be able to automatically troubleshoot, maintain, & fix itself as much as technically feasible, w/o the need for users to take care of that manually, as they should always focus on their work/entertainment at hand, not on the technicalities of the machine at the lower levels. In short, it should be conceived & produced w/ the assumption that its users are all technical idiots.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Oh my freaking god. I did NOT want this to turn in to a Mac vs PC debate. All I originally did was state what type of computer I own. Nothing more.

Since I hate arguing with people so much, I'll just say this: just let people use whatever the f*ck works best for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Oh my freaking god. I did NOT want this to turn in to a Mac vs PC debate. All I originally did was state what type of computer I own. Nothing more.

Since this thread was split from another one, you're not exactly the OP, but even if you are, you still won't be able to control how the thread evolves anyway. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
PC user here, Win/Linux dual-boot (one disk for ubuntu, one for windows, one shared (NTFS w/o OS).

My main computer at home has been good for who knows how long. My father bought it used, used it for years, then handed it down to me. It's VCard has been screaming noisy, and after a good nine months it had developed motherboard issues (startup), so I had foregone it for the summer of 2012.

Then when the need of a computer for my last year at high school became evident, I foraged all the used parts, hardware, etc at home, found out that there were working computers that we haven't used due to being too "slow", so I laid down a few newspapers on my desk, dismantled my PC, and put it's parts into nice boxes.

Then I built a PC out of all the parts I could find. It had an 1.6ghz processor, a 32MB vcard, and I think 1024MB RAM. I used it for a good half year. It's been the greatest half year of exclusive linux usage ever since. Yes, it was quite slow, and the cooling paste wasn't the best for the CPU... but it worked, and served me well. And I put all of it together.

Later on we upgraded my original PC with a new motherboard, 4gb ram, and this christmas it got it's noisy video card replaced.

I accept no substitutes.

Note, my father is a Mac user, but he uses it exclusively for work, and doesn't play games (unless it's on my computer)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
boromonokli wrote:
Note, my father is a Mac user, but he uses it exclusively for work, and doesn't play games (unless it's on my computer)

So he regards Macs as ones for serious usage, I guess. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
boromonokli wrote:

^ The gif provides a more accurate explanation of why Mac users have to use it exclusively for work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
boromonokli wrote:

Well, if he used his mac as a pc (bootcamp windows), his hardware would be just as well worn down as mine... Except he wouldn't be able to replace it due to laptop and shits.

That's his reasoning. He only plays grepolis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
boromonokli wrote:

^ The gif provides a more accurate explanation of why Mac users have to use it exclusively for work.

I seem to remember seeing that gif (or something like that) in the past. lol There're very powerful &, hence, expensive gaming-oriented computers (as well as various gaming-oriented peripherals, such as gaming keyboards), which've also got a pretty cool appearance, for the serious business of gamers, tho. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:05 am 
inactive
i'm not a big gamer, but i still occasionally play games on my computer. fortunately i'm not really interested in a lot of the massive, really processor-intensive games out there, but there's a nice collection of innovative games that i like available via Steam.

i'm willing to give that Windows is probably better for hardcore gaming, but it's just not in my personal interest. what i don't really get, though, is that Macs seem to be hands down the OS of choice for people like video editors and other creative types. idk about you guys, but video editing takes an assload of processing power. why is it that Macs are good at that, but not [considered to be] good at games?

i mean, Daft Punk, one of my favorite groups, used Macs do to the brunt of the work on their mind-melting 2007 tour. granted there were like at least 4 of the really big, expensive towers, but they ran the Abelton software live, which takes a lot of power... (they had an assload of other equipment like various sequencers and stuff, too, of course.) a lot of other DJs seem to prefer Macs for their live gigs, as well. is it just the price point? 'cause it's definitely not that they don't possess the power.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ I think it's not simply about the overall computing/processing power of the machine, but the precise types of power best suited for the types of job at hand, which concern w/ how the hardware & system architectures are organized (sometimes you can tune that if you're tech savvy, but even so you can only do so much to a limited extent, unless you go rebuilding the machine lol ). :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 52 months ago
inactive
Quote:

I built a 'top of the line, at the time' PC in 2002 and if it wasn't for UPS wrecking my hard drives during shipping, it'd still be functional.

Quote:

*Reads topic title* "PC vs Mac".
Either you're a troll, or you don't know what VS implies. Kindly choose one.

Owner of Raptor Strike TV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:51 am 
Planeta
Planeta
^ I did not create this topic. My first post was originally written as a response in the "Sailor Moon Center" thread, but since it kinda turned into a Mac vs. PC thing (which is stupid), it was moved here to it's own topic by a mod (who also titled it). Read Rika's response to my last post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 31 months ago
inactive
I love reading the MvP wars (Mac vs PC) on the internetz time to time. Its amazing how fired up people can get ( not talking about this thread lol )

In my opinion, I think they're both good, its just based on what your needs are.

Mac: Due to the lack of games and MMO's that support mac, it makes a great study tool for school users and less issues to worry about when administering them as well.
- Students can't upload malicious files or download files that could corrupt ( they can still pirate and move it to a PC environment)
- Mac's are used alot in the music industry for DJ'ing ( though thats being replaced by a live Digital DJ board now ) though until that changes it's either or
- Mac is more known for its video/picture editing such as Adobe photoshop/premiere, and some proprietary Mac only software ( such as rock band )
- Somewhat less distractions in class due to lack of gaming.

Pc's: If you're a geek or tech fanatic you'll normally find yourself on here especially with a passion to learn on things. I do agree with people that have PC's that crap out alot on them.
This is mainly due to alot of namebrands ( Dell, HP, Sony, Compaq (now HP) ) Using cheap parts. So unless you purchase an expensive rig that someone custom built your chances of having
something decent are about 30-60% at times. Its still ok but it still sucks to have it die after a warranty. The perks though are mainly if you research and take a little time or ask theres tons of
people or information to learn on how to build your own. This I think is where the war draws, because some people think that if another person is to lazy to build their own that they're either
1) Stupid or 2) To lazy or 3) a Mac person. More than none neither is the case, some people just don't know where to look or are just frightened by looking inside the case or afraid of
warranties and other issues such as fires and hassles if it doesn't work. There are other reasons too, this is just one of them.

- PC's that cost about 3500-5500$ to customize online in reality take about 900$-1500$ (up to 2k) to build. This is using quality parts, all my custom builds have and are still working
since the late 90's.
- Great for multitasking in a variety ways, and are still highly employed in business / corporate environments due to that. As well as the software and cost effectiveness.
- Biggest use is server environments, as well as virtualization due to more support for hardware.
- Tons of support and many platforms code and design for it due to the wide use.

Big thing about Mac, is that they lock down and have a smaller community since they don't embrace other support (as much) and only support their own specific hardware, this allows them to enforce controls over what can be and what can't be done. The reason People see issues or hear more often about them on PC's is because it supports a variety of platforms , software and everything else. Microsoft and others release tons of updates etc. So its more of an open source community on the PC/Linux side while Mac is basically "what we offer you get"

People exclaim they can run windows on a mac, people can run mac on PC's it works both ways , though if I want to run windows I'd rather personally do it on a PC, as for testing everything else now I can just emulate another OS any time.

What it all boils down to really is:

What are my needs?
What am I going to do with it?
what feels comfortable to me?
Which appeals to me more?
Am I a heavy gamer?
Am I a passionate artist?

Do I just chat and browse the internet?

Only downside that I can honestly gripe on mac's is due to being a closed controlled environment that with MOST of their PC's (disregarding power pc's that cost an insane amount) you can't really upgrade much of the hardware since its all based inside the All-In-One setup with the monitor.... so again you're kinda locked down. Though again for those who don't care or just want to buy a new one when done or never really need an upgrade because they'll never do much, it doesn't matter.

In the end its whatever you wanna do with your money lol.

Just my 2 cents :P

http://fmlstudios.com/club/lunacave5.jpg Fun with PC's P-:

Anime fan dating site

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm 
☽ Crescent Moonie
I wonder what forum's open on one of those upper screens...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
AnimeUnlimited wrote:
I love reading the MvP wars (Mac vs PC) on the internetz time to time. [...]

A nice description of the matter. :)

My J-pop thread