Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 53 months ago
inactive
Someone's making a Doctor Who game for the PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5877101/first-image-o ... r-who-game

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Gay.
Raven Nightshade wrote:
Silver Wolf wrote:
I haven't seen classic Who, mostly cuz it's so expensive.

So I take it you don't have Netflix? That's how I've been watching it.

Like I said before, I recommend checking the library. If the branch you go to doesn't have it, see if you can do an interlibrary loan for them.

Silver Wolf wrote:
When is the new Doctor Who episodes coming out anyway?

This fall allegedly, and that Rory, Amy, and River will be back but not for the whole season. There are other rumors that are MUCH less realistic like the return of Captain Jack and the Master, and the addition of more aliens from Classic Who since you can't run a franchise on just Daleks, Cybermen, and the Master.

Guess I'll check out the library.
This fall?!? :dead:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 50 months ago
inactive
Roman55 wrote:

Oh, that is very interesting. I am going to hope this will be one of the good licensed games.

And here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_tt5UZKFVg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
VampirePaladin wrote:
Roman55 wrote:

Oh, that is very interesting. I am going to hope this will be one of the good licensed games.

I dunno... Most licensed games (with a few exceptions) suck. Anything Superman, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 53 months ago
inactive
Silver Wolf wrote:
I dunno... Most licensed games (with a few exceptions) suck. Anything Superman, for example.

Do remember that Batman was in that boat for a while....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Roman55 wrote:
Silver Wolf wrote:

Do remember that Batman was in that boat for a while....

But, he got better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 pm 
inactive
Let's see...

Kingdom Hearts (Disney)
Epic Mickey (Disney)
X-Men Legends
Batman Arkham Asylum
Sailor Moon Another Story
DC Universe Online
Project DIVA (Vocaloid)

While bad licensed games are still sadly more common than good ones, there are enough good ones that it shouldn't be an assumed fact.

I just hope this isn't like the old side scroller where you blast your enemies with the sonic screwdriver. But, at least you got to play as multiple Doctors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
VampirePaladin wrote:
Let's see...

Kingdom Hearts (Disney)
scyphate Mickey (Disney)
X-Men Legends
Batman Arkham Asylum
DC Universe Online
Project DIVA (Vocaloid)

While bad licensed games are still sadly more common than good ones, there are enough good ones that it shouldn't be an assumed fact.

I just hope this isn't like the old side scroller where you blast your enemies with the sonic screwdriver. But, at least you got to play as multiple Doctors.

You forgot:
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-Man movie series
Ultimate Spider-Man
etc, etc.
Spidey has had some really good games since his first PS1 game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm 
inactive
Silver Wolf wrote:
VampirePaladin wrote:
Let's see...

Kingdom Hearts (Disney)
scyphate Mickey (Disney)
X-Men Legends
Batman Arkham Asylum
DC Universe Online
Project DIVA (Vocaloid)

You forgot:
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-Man movie series
Ultimate Spider-Man
etc, etc.
Spidey has had some really good games since his first PS1 game.

My apologies to Spidey and his fans. I did watch his cartoon in the early 90s, but I never really got into him and forgot that he had some very nice games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 47 months ago
inactive
Just in case anyone needs the DVD list for the entire series in order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Raven Nightshade wrote:

I bookmarked it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 pm 
inactive
Doctor Whooves t-shirt.

Hot Topic is clearly trying to seduce me. I think it's working.

In non-pony Doctor Who news, I started on the Third Doctor last week. It's really weird watching it in color after spending so long with the black-and-white episodes.

I'm going to watch "The Claws of Axos" tonight and then I'm going to take a month off to watch Game of Thrones and the first Nanoha series. I probably should have stopped after Liz's last serial, but I didn't know it was her last one until I had "Terror of the Autons" already. It's too bad she only lasted a season, because I rather liked her. She was like a less lovestruck version of Martha. But now I'm on to Jo, and she's like a mashup of Vicki and Rose.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
rgveda99 wrote:
This show is popular in the western world. I wonder why any of the networks or cable companies don't air it here.

In the western English speaking world you mean. :tongue: I've never heard anything about that show until I first got internet some years ago.

I've heard much about Doctor Who but never actually watched it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
For some reason, I can't get into Doctor Who. =(

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:21 am 
inactive
John wrote:

Two questions:

1. What did you watch or try to watch?
2. What put you off of it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
I'll take Dr. Who from King Kong Escapes over the real Doctor Who any day. :tongue:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Raven Nightshade wrote:
John wrote:

Two questions:

I've seen the first few episodes of the new Doctor Who, the episodes that introduce Rose and the ones following.

And I dunno, I think it's too....zany? I love sci-fi, but for example, I LOVED Caprica. That was sci-fi that was solid and very character-driven. I felt that the Who episodes I saw were mostly plot-driven.

And the filming style looks strange to me. Maybe it's a British thing?

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 am 
inactive
John wrote:
Raven Nightshade wrote:

Two questions:

I've seen the first few episodes of the new Doctor Who, the episodes that introduce Rose and the ones following.

And I dunno, I think it's too....zany? I love sci-fi, but for example, I LOVED Caprica. That was sci-fi that was solid and very character-driven. I felt that the Who episodes I saw were mostly plot-driven.

And the filming style looks strange to me. Maybe it's a British thing?

Well, you started in what I think is the right place for a new viewer, so that's not it.

I think it's just not your thing. If it were something simple, I could attempt to convert you, but this is a fundamental matter of taste. You like character-driven sci-fi, and Doctor Who isn't.

Honestly, I think that's part of the appeal. The Doctor is the ultimate in Manic Pixie Dream Boys, come to whisk his new friend away into an exciting journey across space and time. The show is ultimately about him, and that's where you have to look for your character development. His companions, even in the old series, are ultimately intended to be audience surrogates. It's even more obvious in the New series because these companions are women who have been living the most mundane lives with little meaning until the Doctor comes along in his big blue box.

We're supposed to like/relate to Rose because she's leading an outwardly fulfilling life. She has a boyfriend and a job, and that's all that matters, right? Don't aspire for more. Be happy with what you have. You have a man and a job, shut up.

Then she meets the Doctor. He tells her and shows her that there's more to life than being a shopgirl in Cardiff....that there's more to HER.

That's been the overarching message of New!Who: You are important. Everyone is important.

As for the cinematography, I think it's partly a British thing, but there's not much British sci-fi bouncing around, so it's hard to compare.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
For those who show interest in watching the classic series from the start:

Unfortunately, many episodes are likely to never show up again, because it was allegedly a common practice in British Television to air such shows LIVE and rarely tape them anyway and even if they were, the tapes would only a short time later be actually DELETED to be reused for the next series (Evergreens like "The Avengers" suffer from the same problem) due to the always tight and low-cut budget the producers were bound to.

Still, some of said episodes tend to return from oblivion one after another, usually on 16mm film or 8mm home video, and in cases where the audio track (or the simultaneously produced radio drama version) was preserved it can be combined with production stills or flash animation replacing the real life footage! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since I'm such a huge fan of the show, I decided (along with influence from Kero-chan our very good lord and master) to start a Doctor Who thread, that will be discussing the latest episodes of the show.

Robot of Sherwood

The fact that it was going to star Robin Hood, every fan knew that this was going to be a light-hearted adventure. Which it certainly was. But even with that knowledge there was still something quite off about this episode.

Compare this Historical comedy to The Unicorn and the Wasp, in which the comedy and drama worked together to create something ridiculous yet brilliant. The episode even covered an historical event, the mystery of Agatha Christie's disappearance. (Which did happen in real life) Also it took its time to show us the atmosphere of the period, as well as giving us three dimensional characters.

Robot of Sherwood however goes at a fast pace, which prohibits us from soaking up the history around the characters. Also the fact that it reveals that Robin Hood is real, rubs me the wrong way. To understand, try to imagine if the show said that Sailor Moon was real, and an episode took place in Neo- Crystal Tokyo. Or if it said Sherlock Holmes was real, and we ended up in Baker Street.

Doctor Who has always tried to avoid fantasy as much as possible, and tried to be realistic as it can, despite the aliens, TARDIS, and regeneration. Heck, the show has established that fantasy characters live in their own dimension "The Land of Fiction" (The Mind Robber) So if this story was set there, it wouldn't have been a problem.

However there are great performances all around, the fight sequences are pretty good, and the robots are cool as well. (Although why this wasn't called RobotS of Sherwood, I'll never know.)

The humour can be fun at times, but sometimes it can fail. For example that bit in the dungeon where the Doctor and Robin are arguing with each other, did get annoying after a while. Also Clara being mistaken as the leader was pretty obvious, even my dad called it minutes before the punchline hit.

The golden arrow hitting the spaceship is something that fans will probably like to forget. The Merry Men while funny, were generally useless in the story. And I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty tired of aliens in historical events.
Can't we just have a simple historical story like in the Classic Series and the Big Finish audios? Something that Vincent and the Doctor probably wanted to be, before Moffat edited the script.

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't hate this episode. I found it pretty entertaining but not as good as Into the Dalek. However I'm still waiting for a story that cements Peter as the Doctor, and hopefully this next story "Listen" will do just that.

6/10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Other: 4th Regeneration
It was a good episode, but I can't say it was great. By the end I felt somewhat unfulfilled, like I only got half an episode. The biggest problem was that they tried cramming too much into the episode and nothing seemed to have any room for development or explanation. For instance, why did robots from 41st Century Earth end up in 12th century England? With their technological supremacy, why join forces with the sheriff, rather than taking over themselves? If gold was so important for repairing the ship, why would the robots let anyone waste any on making a golden arrow?

Quote:
Also the fact that it reveals that Robin Hood is real, rubs me the wrong way.

It wasn't the first time Doctor Who has established Robin Hood as real. In "The Thief of Sherwood", the First Doctor, Ian and Barbra met Robin Hood. In "The Immortals" he taught the Fifth Doctor how to shoot a bow, and in the K9 episode "The Oak Tree", K-9 suggests that he met Robin Hood (he sees a hologram and states that it should be shorter).

It's more likely than not that the writers were unaware of any of these. The Whoniverse has become so large and has so many novels, comics and spin-off series, it regularly backtracks and goes against itself, creating a big messy ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

I think the "Robin Hood is real" is to cement this whole "Promised land/Heaven" that everyone is trying to get to (Why robots are trying to get to a promised land confuses me).

Quote:
To understand, try to imagine if the show said that Sailor Moon was real, and an episode took place in Neo- Crystal Tokyo.

Episode 7 IS called "Kill the Moon" :mischief:

Quote:
The humour can be fun at times, but sometimes it can fail. For example that bit in the dungeon where the Doctor and Robin are arguing with each other, did get annoying after a while.

I disagree. I found it funny.

Quote:
The golden arrow hitting the spaceship is something that fans will probably like to forget.

THIS NEVER HAPPENED.

Quote:
The Merry Men while funny, were generally useless in the story. And I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty tired of aliens in historical events.

They were so useless I didn't get the point of having them beyond them "being necessary because we have Robin Hood".

As for aliens, it depends. Some of them (Unicorn and the Wasp, or Vincent and the Doctor) can be really well done and make for memorable episodes. Others (like this one, and the one that introduced the silly rainbow-clown Daleks) fall sadly flat.

(This is what happens when you make rainbow-clown Daleks. The Universe is now broken and can never be fixed.)

Though I will agree that, if he can travel anywhere in time and space, it doesn't make a lot of sense for episodes to take place in historical events. Doctor Who brings in enough from merchandising, they could probably make an entire planet for each episode.

This episode is a fairly weak one. It has a few funny moments and Capaldi does well and the character interactions are interesting, but there's too much filler material crammed into the episode and it shows. It felt rushed and somewhat sloppy, like a last-minute idea thrown together because what they really wanted to do didn't come through. It leaves almost no impression beyond disappointment and is easily forgotten.

The logic on this one was sub-par, even for a show that occasionally disregards logic to make up its own rules. The enemies were flat and had no room to be developed into anything but seemingly mindless killing machines and their reason for joining the sheriff wasn't there. The Merry Men were there for comedic effect (and failed miserably) and Robin Hood really wasn't that interesting.

4/10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
The Fifth series, (Matt Smith's First Series) will be released on DVD in Japan!

The show titled as "Doctor Who: New Generation" is being dubbed into Japanese by the company Kadokawa and will be on sale on 3rd October 2014.

Matt Smith will be voiced by Tokuyoshi Kawashima

Amy Pond: Kana Uetake

Rory Williams:Yoshiki Nakajima

River Song: Kozue Harashima

See the article here. http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/se ... 74508.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:11 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 20 months ago
inactive
I'm trying to find a good Doctor Who meet up somewhere near where I live (Alliance Ohio). I'm actually planning this cool fem 4th Doctor cosplay. I'm also planning on writing fan letters to Tom Baker and David Tennant. Wish me luck on getting them answered. ^u^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:35 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
^ Good luck!

I :love: Tom Baker. Please post pics of your cosplay when you do it. =^_^=

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 20 months ago
inactive
Magus wrote:
^ Good luck!

I :love: Tom Baker. Please post pics of your cosplay when you do it. =^_^=

Yay! Sweet! And I sure will. I DO have a picture of me wearing the TARDIS dress for the cinema premiere of season 8. I'm with my friend Angela. http://cartoonprincess15.deviantart.com ... -478177262

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
SailorWelshy wrote:
The Fifth series, (Matt Smith's First Series) will be released on DVD in Japan!

The show titled as "Doctor Who: New Generation" is being dubbed into Japanese by the company Kadokawa and will be on sale on 3rd October 2014.

Matt Smith will be voiced by Tokuyoshi Kawashima

Amy Pond: Kana Uetake

Rory Williams:Yoshiki Nakajima

River Song: Kozue Harashima

See the article here. http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/se ... 74508.html

Have seasons 1-4 already been released then or were they skipped to catch up with the west? I thought they might translate the title differently so that the "question in plain sight" reference makes sense.

I love Doctor Who, but struggle with Moffat's writing sometimes as it can have many plotholes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
SnowWolf wrote:
Have seasons 1-4 already been released then or were they skipped to catch up with the west? I thought they might translate the title differently so that the "question in plain sight" reference makes sense.

They've been skipped, season 1 and 2 were shown on Japanese TV, but were not great successes. According to audiences, they found it too British.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 pm 
Luna
Luna
SailorWelshy wrote:
SnowWolf wrote:

They've been skipped, season 1 and 2 were shown on Japanese TV, but were not great successes. According to audiences, they found it too British.

While Moffat's era is arguably becoming too Americanized and loosing it's British identity to appeal to people overseas. Guess that explains why they skipped to season 5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
SnowWolf wrote:
Moffat's era is arguably becoming too Americanized and loosing it's British identity to appeal to people overseas.

Well Capaldi's era has calmed down. And we do have the return of the cynical Doctor. Which to me is very British.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 pm 
Luna
Luna
SailorWelshy wrote:
SnowWolf wrote:
Moffat's era is arguably becoming too Americanized and loosing it's British identity to appeal to people overseas.

Well Capaldi's era has calmed down. And we do have the return of the cynical Doctor. Which to me is very British.

Time will tell, but "Robot of Sherwood" was more like a theatre production of "Robin Hood" and could have done with being just a touch more realistic in my opinion. Didn't like how every detail from the book was true. This sounds more like a tale that a writer would exaggerate or embellish. Still, it was supposed to be lighthearted, but I did spend the whole episode, like the Doctor, waiting for the curtain to drop, then became disappointed when it didn't.

I did enjoyed "Listen". I think Moffat is just struggling to figure out how to best write Capaldi's doctor.

I guess I'm still frustrated our Season 1-7 Blu ray release was inferior to the US set as well.

Were the multicoloured Daleks not well recieved, is that why they were tossed away?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next