Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Japan's population in crisis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:31 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Quote:
Btw, this is not limited to Japan. South Korea and China also facing an ageing problem. In China's case, they recently ended their one child policy, but families over there are not eager to have more than one kid, so the ageing trend continues.

Agreed, it seems to be a universal developmental phenomenon, & some time in the future even India could face the same problem, & then the African countries, too.

Its not a question of absolute but the degree of difference. There is a wide chasm between animals and humans, even though essentially we humans share the basic instincts as the other animals, its how we can control and manage ourselves that is distinctive.

As for Africa, that is only assuming Africa does reach that stage of development of course. Exceptions aside (i.e. Bostwana), that continent has been plagued by misgovernance, endemic corruption and civil wars ever since the decolonization. They won't reach that level of aging population until much later, if ever. They need to get their house in order first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:00 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Animefan wrote:
Its not a question of absolute but the degree of difference. There is a wide chasm between animals and humans, even though essentially we humans share the basic instincts as the other animals, its how we can control and manage ourselves that is distinctive.

What I meant is that even the degree of difference is also a relative thing, & could even been seen as negligible, depending on how one & who sees it. :)

Quote:
As for Africa, that is only assuming Africa does reach that stage of development of course. Exceptions aside (i.e. Bostwana), that continent has been plagued by misgovernance, endemic corruption and civil wars ever since the decolonization. They won't reach that level of aging population until much later, if ever. They need to get their house in order first.

Granted those're all true, but I was talking about the (far) future. :wink:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Here is a video explaining how Japan's success-driven culture is killing its youth: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Pwn6JX4eY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Here is a video explaining how Japan's success-driven culture is killing its youth: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Pwn6JX4eY

No youth, no future. :(

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:21 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
As a historian, I have been reading about the Japanese diaspora, and about the histories of Japanese individuals who emigrated from Japan to Brazil in the beginning of the twentieth century. The Japanese who began to arrive in Brazil (starting in 1908) hoped to live happier lives, or live in Brazil only briefly; though, they were unaware of the fact that they would essentially be doing the same labor as African slaves did in cotton and coffee farms, with the exception that they would be paid (very little) for it.

When hundreds (or thousands, the researchers are still investigating the data) of Japanese workers started committing sepukku in Brazilian farms, the owners of Brazilian farms (white families with an European background) were not only surprised, but also appalled.

It was a clash of cultures: the wealthy Brazilians couldn't understand why the Japanese emigrants didn't accept being abused as most African slaves did; why they were committing the sin of taking away their own lives; why they had a sense of pride that most African slaves did not.

Of course, slavery is wrong, and these wealthy Brazilian farmers were on the wrong side of history (Brazilians today and I myself view what these families did to African slaves and Asian emigrants as unforgivable).

That being said... it seems to me that Japanese individuals have a strong source of pride, in that in some ways taking away your own life is viewed as socially acceptable if you embarrass yourself or your family...

... and I wonder where this sense of pride (which is historical) comes from. Can we date this sense of pride back to the Samurai days?

It seems to me that Japanese kids are so fed up with everything that they are choosing to live their lives differently: not to marry, focus only on their careers, or become hermits (as shown in video).

PS. If my post seemed culturally insensitive, please do forgive me; I am under the effect of a strong medication right now, and did not have time to proofread or reflect about what I wrote.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:47 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Animefan wrote:

Granted those're all true, but I was talking about the (far) future. :wink:

Well, the difference between animals and humans in how they live are certainly not minute. The biological process may be very similar between humans and animals, but the end result in their lives are so different. Humans can shape their environment with such a speed that no other animal can match, for example.

As for ageing population, that is partially related to development economics. Poor countries have economies that are more manpower intensive, therefore families require more kids. Rich countries have less need.

And why are some countries rich and others poor? It comes down to institutions and governance. Sourh Korea was poorer than Ghana in the 1950s (in fact, the African country was deemed to have better prospects). But Korea has since grown in leaps and bounds to far surpassed Ghana. Today South Korea is a modern and developed economy and Ghana remains very much a poor developing country.

Why the difference? One has proper instutitions and the other did not. One gave proper incentives for it citizens to work hard and save. To protect their property rights and assets. The other did not. The other had weak rule of law.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:49 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
It seems to me that Japanese kids are so fed up with everything that they are choosing to live their lives differently: not to marry, focus only on their careers, or become hermits (as shown in video).

Like a passive protest against reality? lol

Animefan wrote:
Well, the difference between animals and humans in how they live are certainly not minute. The biological process may be very similar between humans and animals, but the end result in their lives are so different. Humans can shape their environment with such a speed that no other animal can match, for example.

Like what I've already said above, whether such difference is big or small is just a relative thing, dependant on how it's seen by whom. :wink:

Quote:
As for ageing population, that is partially related to development economics. Poor countries have economies that are more manpower intensive, therefore families require more kids. Rich countries have less need.

And why are some countries rich and others poor? It comes down to institutions and governance. Sourh Korea was poorer than Ghana in the 1950s (in fact, the African country was deemed to have better prospects). But Korea has since grown in leaps and bounds to far surpassed Ghana. Today South Korea is a modern and developed economy and Ghana remains very much a poor developing country.

Why the difference? One has proper instutitions and the other did not. One gave proper incentives for it citizens to work hard and save. To protect their property rights and assets. The other did not. The other had weak rule of law.

While still being plagued by tons of long-time problems, parts of the continent have been fast changing in their socioeconomic outlooks at present. It'll still be a long, long road & there might even be setbacks, but the overall trend has become more optimistic now. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:39 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

Like a passive protest against reality?

No more like "that's it; we've had it; following your rules has driven us either insane or mentally ill. No more."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:35 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

Like a passive protest against reality?

No more like "that's it; we've had it; following your rules has driven us either insane or mentally ill. No more."

So since they can't change the reality/rules but don't wanna play along w/ or adapt to it, they choose to quit & withdraw/escape from it instead. When a large, increasing number of people are taking that path or strategy to navigate their life, it shows that there're some serious flaws in the system.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:13 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

Like a passive protest against reality? lol

Animefan wrote:

Like what I've already said above, whether such difference is big or small is just a relative thing, dependant on how it's seen by whom. :wink:

Quote:

While still being plagued by tons of long-time problems, parts of the continent have been fast changing in their socioeconomic outlooks at present. It'll still be a long, long road & there might even be setbacks, but the overall trend has become more optimistic now. :)

Yes, parts of Africa is improving. Not all the continent is a basket case. I think they should also learn development strategies from Asia. Like Africa, many parts of Asia were colonized up until World War 2, yet now, many Asian countries are relatively more developed. Their success is instructive to many African countries.

And speaking of which, I think Asia, in particular East Asia, has something to learn from the rest of the world. Some of them (Japan most notably) are trapped in a rigid mindset when it comes to working life. This ongoing problem of karoshi is clear example. They are trapped into this culture that seem very resistant to change. Yet for all the very long hours and grueling work that the average Japanese salary man devote to their companies, the Japanese economy is still struggling to achieve sustainable growth. And this ageing population is not helping. Something has to change. The question is what and how.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:55 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
So since they can't change the reality/rules but don't wanna play along w/ or adapt to it, they choose to quit & withdraw/escape from it instead. When a large, increasing number of people are taking that path or strategy to navigate their life, it shows that there're some serious flaws in the system.

You know, I kind of see myself a lot in these Japanese kids.

I spent my 20s working and studying to the point of exhaustion. I have two master's degrees (both obtained through a scholarship/grant; both related to STEM areas), I fluently speak 3 languages, and now that I am in my early-30s I am facing a mid-life crisis, and I have been so depressed that my doctor replaced the anti-depressant I had been taking since I was 15 with a much more powerful one, and increased the dosage of my tranquilizer from 2 to 4 mg.

There isn't one single day in which I don't cry, feel despair, or anxiety. I pray to God everyday that I can get out of this crisis, and that I will be feeling better by the time that Autumn begins.

Whenever my husband mentions the idea of raising children, I freak out --because I don't think the system to which I was subjected since I was little (a very success-driven system) prepared me to be a father.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:45 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ I don't have much to say about your situation, as I obviously dunno much about it & you've already been under professional support, but I hope it'll improve & you'll get thru it in due course. :)

I think the Japanese case is a good study material for countries around the region & also the world - w/e steps they take to tackle the problem, whether successful or not, as well as any lack of them, are good lessons & should be closely watched, as the similar problem will occur in other countries sooner or later, too (if not having already been now).

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
https://ph.yahoo.com/news/silicone-sall ... 49750.html

Quote:
As Japan struggles with a plummeting birthrate, a growing number of men -- known as 'herbivores' -- are turning their backs on love and traditional masculine values for a quiet, uncompetitive life.

Quote:
"Japanese women are cold-hearted," he said while on a seaside stroll with his silicone squeeze.

"They're very selfish. Men want someone to listen to them without grumbling when they get home from work," Ozaki added.

Quote:
Future doll users can expect more bang for their buck as researchers work to develop next-generation sexbots able to talk, laugh and even simulate an orgasm.

Things are about to get real.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ When robots have evolved to be partially/mostly/wholly organically-based, w/ synthetic nerons, genes, & whatnots, should they be dated then, especially when they've already been given some legal status w/ certain "human" rights? :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
Japan is still trying to cut back on working hours, especially in light of how many of the younger generation don't leave work until their boss does or they do so much overtime. Japan is also one of few countries offering incentives...

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
TheWinterSoldier91 wrote:
Japan is still trying to cut back on working hours, especially in light of how many of the younger generation don't leave work until their boss does or they do so much overtime. Japan is also one of few countries offering incentives...

They have to release the full working potential of the female population, by freeing them from domestic & childcare works, which probably means importing foreign domestic helpers from Third World countries (unless/until their robots are sufficiently advanced to take over all of those works lol ).

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:45 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ When robots have evolved to be partially/mostly/wholly organically-based, w/ synthetic nerons, genes, & whatnots, should they be dated then, especially when they've already been given some legal status w/ certain "human" rights? :)

It's just a matter of fine tuning all the little details.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joshi kousei dating services have been outlawed in Tokyo today: https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... into-force

I guess that will push yet more lonely otaku to date 2D girls and dakimakura instead of real women. :P

Rika-Chicchi wrote:

At some point in the future it will be illegal to date robots who are younger than 18yo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:55 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
one thing that I have noticed is that some Japanese people don't date within their own race. I have a couple of friends who aren't Japanese and are dating them. Even on one YouTube video it seems that the male generation isn't so keen on dating their female counterparts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

It's just a matter of fine tuning all the little details.

Considering the close economic ties between Pakistan & China, I suspect the crude-looking robot is manufactured in one of those bootleg factories in some inland regions of China. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:30 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
What do you take of this?

http://www.dw.com/en/why-fewer-japanese-are-seeking-marriage/a-19349576

Quote from the article: "More than half of single women want their spouses to earn at least four million yen (33,794 euros, $38,270) a year," the report said. "Meanwhile, only 15.2 percent of single men in their 20s earn four million yen or more."

Another article:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/22/national/social-issues/nearly-40-of-single-japanese-not-interested-in-romance-survey/#.WVgFzOkjXIU

It seems that in this case, fewer and fewer Japanese are interested in becoming involved in a relationship. I remember in one Youtube video they state they strongly discourage High School students from dating as "it would distract them from their studies."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:43 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
TheWinterSoldier91 wrote:
What do you take of this?

http://www.dw.com/en/why-fewer-japanese-are-seeking-marriage/a-19349576

Quote from the article: "More than half of single women want their spouses to earn at least four million yen (33,794 euros, $38,270) a year," the report said. "Meanwhile, only 15.2 percent of single men in their 20s earn four million yen or more."

Another article:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/22/national/social-issues/nearly-40-of-single-japanese-not-interested-in-romance-survey/#.WVgFzOkjXIU

It seems that in this case, fewer and fewer Japanese are interested in becoming involved in a relationship. I remember in one Youtube video they state they strongly discourage High School students from dating as "it would distract them from their studies."

Maybe one day they'd be forced to encourage sex between teens w/o using contraceptives, as a desparate measure & last resort, & the state would raise their babies if they or their parents don't have the resources to do so. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
https://news.vice.com/story/the-robot-s ... perts-warn

Quote:
There’s no evidence to suggest that these dolls really help anybody, and experts are unconvinced. In fact, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine paraphilia researcher Peter Fagan told the Atlantic in 2016 that childlike sex dolls would likely lead would-be pedophiles to act upon their urges “with greater urgency.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
rgveda99 wrote:
https://news.vice.com/story/the-robot-sex-doll-revolution-may-have-some-big-downsides-experts-warn

Quote:
There’s no evidence to suggest that these dolls really help anybody, and experts are unconvinced. In fact, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine paraphilia researcher Peter Fagan told the Atlantic in 2016 that childlike sex dolls would likely lead would-be pedophiles to act upon their urges “with greater urgency.”

Oh my! Shocking! :grey: :grey:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:28 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
this is

Attachments:
all-of-my-nope- (1).jpg
all-of-my-nope- (1).jpg [ 15.97 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Would it still be illegal to have sex with a doll if she was factory produced more than 18 years ago and have papers confirming that? P-:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Yes, if she were a bootleg product manufactured in Chinese factories. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:48 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Not sure if its a contributing factor or just a fad like ganjuro.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^ I can't see the video, rgveda99! :neutral:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Must be region locked. :grey:

Try these ones. It's about a fashion trend of being genderless. ^_^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next