Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
When I heard Hollywood was going to adapt "Ghost in the Shell", the anime masterpiece, into a live-action movie, I was skeptical to say the least. Hollywood, after all, does not have a good track record in adapting anime into live-action, to put it mildly.

Still, I was not entirely dismissive of it. Paramount and Dreamworks, the studio funding the movie, also successfully adapted a Japanese horror classic, Ringu, into the highly successful "Ring", which was well received by critics and audience alike. And it looks like they are going to give a decent budget for Ghost. Now there is the controversy over Scarlett Johansson's role as the protagonist, Motoko Kusanagi, as another example of white-washing. Here's a just released publicity photo of her in the movie:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/major-contr ... 48283.html

Portrayal of Asians (or lack thereof) on screen has long been an issue in Hollywood. I don't want to minimize that kind of unacceptable discrimination:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/18/11455 ... od-casting

But that may not matter as much in the long run if the movie itself is good. So, can Ghost in the Shell Live Action actually be a good movie?

Last edited by Animefan on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:49 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
We'll see, & this' the only answer I can come up w/ at this stage. :)

I do wish Kikuchi Rinko would take the role, tho, tho Johansson is also an actress I've always liked.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:25 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
We'll see, & this' the only answer I can come up w/ at this stage. :)

I do wish Kikuchi Rinko would take the role, tho, tho Johansson is also an actress I've always liked.

That's the white-washing part I guess. The project would probably be grounded if it was Rinko starring as the lead. That is the Hollywood mentality. The director of the live-action adaptation also does not inspire confidence. Rupert Sander's only previous major film directing job was "Snow White and the Huntsman". That was a decidedly mediocre film known more for Sanders' affair with Kristen Stewart than the artistic merit of the film itself. I could have think of a dozen better directing choices than Sanders.

Still, to be honest, I hope the film does well despite my misgivings. If there is to be a live action version of Ghost, I would like to see it be good. There have been too many horrid adaptations of past anime already.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Actually I thin it can be a good movie. Holy wood can make good movies,and remakes.Sure they were bad ones,but they are still good ones.With a good foundation I think Holly wood could pull it off. As for the cast,honestly I don't know why people are surpries. This is American live action movie obviously it ll take place in America.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:13 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
As for the cast,honestly I don't know why people are surpries. This is American live action movie obviously it ll take place in America.

I think it'd look better if they'd change the lead's name, or at least her given name (her Japanese surname could then be easily explained away by her having Japanese blood), into an English one. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:15 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
But Rikia her body 100 percent fake,she s a robot. She has no blood or dna in here . But a japanese name sounds like a good idea .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
imaginationgirl wrote:
But Rikia her body 100 percent fake,she s a robot. She has no blood or dna in here . But a japanese name sounds like a good idea .

I knew that (I've read the manga & watched the anime) - theoretically she could be played by a black actress but still retaining her 100% Japanese identity, too :wink: (or for joke's sake, she could even be played by a man lol ). What I meant in my last post above is just that "it'd look better," or sound/feel better, if her name were a Western one, since she's played by a Westerner. And by "Japanese blood," I wasn't talking about her (current) physical body (except for the remaining part of her original biological brain). :wink:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Even putting aside the controversy over her casting, that revealed image doesn't give me much hope for it. It looks like really cheap cosplay to me and I've actually seen cosplay of the Major that looks a lot better than that. It just looks like they dyed her hair black and put her in an Army suit they bought from a costume store and called her the Major.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:04 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
Other: Shishio Sensei/CUPID
I have no hope for it. It'll be another Dragon Ball tbh. Probably.

I don't like the casting at all. Don't get me wrong, I like the actress but....c'mon..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:27 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Even putting aside the controversy over her casting, that revealed image doesn't give me much hope for it. It looks like really cheap cosplay to me and I've actually seen cosplay of the Major that looks a lot better than that. It just looks like they dyed her hair black and put her in an Army suit they bought from a costume store and called her the Major.

You could well be right. BUT, if the initial reaction to Crystal offered any lesson, its best to hold off our judgement for the moment until we see more photos. Not always that easy to judge based on one photo. Just sayin'...;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
JiRam EunSe wrote:
I have no hope for it. It'll be another Dragon Ball tbh. Probably.

I don't like the casting at all. Don't get me wrong, I like the actress but....c'mon..

me in a nutshell I love Miss Johansson as an actress but casting her in this movie was total whitewash it reminds me of the terrible Black Face actors back in the day aka white guys who painted their face black and colored their lips Red

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Based on every other single anime adaptation Hollywood has done, I'm guessing it won't be good. :-P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Well the second trailer came out .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDctELIm3I[youtube][/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:45 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
imaginationgirl wrote:
Well the second trailer came out .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDctELIm3I[youtube][/youtube]

Visually speaking, not bad, & cool to see Kitano there too. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That "nude" costume without nipples and anatomy looks somewhat silly. It would be better to use something like the bandage costume from the 5th Element if they wanted to censor nudity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Maraviollantes wrote:
That "nude" costume without nipples and anatomy looks somewhat silly. It would be better to use something like the bandage costume from the 5th Element if they wanted to censor nudity.

I agree Mara I think all due respect to Miss Johansson I think I'll pass on this movie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I won't be supporting it nor do I have high hopes for it. I am definitely against them white washing Motoko Kusanagi with Scarlett Johansson. Heck pretty much the entire cast is white yet they all have Japanese names which is yellow face.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:18 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm hoping it flops unless its just as fun and dumb like the Resident Evil films.

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
I won't be supporting it nor do I have high hopes for it. I am definitely against them white washing Motoko Kusanagi with Scarlett Johansson. Heck pretty much the entire cast is white yet they all have Japanese names which is yellow face.

Actually no this is not yellow face. Yellow face is when you're mocking a culture . Playing Japanese characters is not yellow face Also the Japanese creators are okay with this . ( This is also a America version).

As for the nudity. I kinda see why they did that . In the original the nudity was unnecessary.It make more sense she doesn't have any features .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:

Well, that costume is featured in the original manga (I think it's a personal obsessive interest of the manga writer lol ), & the movie is pretty faithful on that regard. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 am 
Stella
Stella
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Actually no this is not yellow face. Yellow face is when you're mocking a culture . Playing Japanese characters is not yellow face Also the Japanese creators are okay with this . ( This is also a America version).

As for the nudity. I kinda see why they did that . In the original the nudity was unnecessary.It make more sense she doesn't have any features .

You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White. This is about as silly as when John Wayne played Genghis Khan. They should have gotten an Asian actress and there are many talented Asian American actresses who could do the job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_yellowface

Also it doesn't matter if the creators are ok with this. This decision was stupid and in my opinion an example of white washing, yellow face and racism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:59 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White. This is about as silly as when John Wayne played Genghis Khan. They should have gotten an Asian actress and there are many talented Asian American actresses who could do the job.

Also it doesn't matter if the creators are ok with this. This decision was stupid and in my opinion an example of white washing, yellow face and racism.

I agree completely and Hollywood does it all the time I mean look at the shitty live action Dragonball movie or The Last Airbender both were white washed (granted Chi-Chi, Gohan and Master Roshi were Asian and I loved the guy who played Grandpa Gohan he was awesome but still) they even got In trouble with the Live Action Mulan movie as their were gonna write off Li Shang as Mulans love interest and replace him with an Englishman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White.

Your definition of "racism" is rather whimsical, at the very least. If a movie is set in Asia then Asians should get the roles? How is that different from "it's Japan here, so only ethnic Japanese are allowed to get the jobs", and other racist propaganda like that? Actually, playing "someone you are not the same race" is something directly opposite to racism. Racism is arguing that only a representative of some particular race should be allowed to get some privileges (role in a movie, job, etc.) - and that's exactly what you argue for. :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White.

Your definition of "racism" is rather whimsical, at the very least. If a movie is set in Asia then Asians should get the roles? How is that different from "it's Japan here, so only ethnic Japanese are allowed to get the jobs", and other racist propaganda like that? Actually, playing "someone you are not the same race" is something directly opposite to racism. Racism is arguing that only a representative of some particular race should be allowed to get some privileges (role in a movie, job, etc.) - and that's exactly what you argue for. :ninja:

This. You're coming off as a weeaboo when you think white actors can't play Asian characters. It's how the story is portrayed. Hell, people vented of a white female playing The Ancient One in Doctor Strange, but this has a 95% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Stop complaining about white actors and see if the film flops due to the story. But this one is pretty faithful to the manga.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:26 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Well
(Yellowface is a form of theatrical makeup used by white performers to represent an East Asian person. It is similar to the practice of blackface used to represent black performers.[1] Yellowface has been historically prevalent throughout Hollywood films, and continues to be used in the present day.[1][2] In the 21st century alone, Grindhouse, Balls of Fury, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Crank: High Voltage, and Cloud Atlas all feature yellowface and non-Asian actors as Asian caricatures.[3] Many writers have noted that portrayals of East Asians in the American film industry generally reflect an ethnocentric perception of them rather than realistic and authentic depictions of Asian cultures, customs, and behaviors.[1][2][4])From wikepedia
The definition of caricature
(car·i·ca·ture
ˈkerikəCHər,ˈkerikəˌCHo͝or/
noun
plural noun: caricatures
a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.)

The cast is not all white
Scarlett Johansson as The Major
Michael Pitt as Kuze[8]
(Pilou Asbæk as Batou
Chin Han as Togusa
Juliette Binoche as Dr. Ouélet[9]
Takeshi Kitano as Chief Daisuke Aramaki
Lasarus Ratuere as Ishikawa
Yutaka Izumihara as Saito
Tawanda Manyimo as Borma
Danusia Samal as Ladriya
Pete Teo as Tony
Yuta Kazama as Data Host
Rila Fukushima as a geisha
Kaori Momoi
Michael Wincott

Tricky[10]) Also The Major is not asian here .
There is nothing racist about this . This is american version of a japanese franchise . If Japanese creators have no problem with it .Than there is no problum with it . Different countries remakes foreing movies all the time .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:27 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
I think the most ideal choice for playing the lead character is a half-Asian, half-Caucasian actress, since even in the original manga, the character doesn't look particularly like a typical Asian & also possesses Caucasian-like features - whether a suitable one could be cast is another matter, of course. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Maraviollantes wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Also the fact that American movies change the characters America regerdesly what country in ?
We are what we are (Original mexican American Remake take place in Ameica)
Let me in originally was let the right one in . The characters in this one was sweden, but in America there American. There names are change to . To me word racist gets misused a lot .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:04 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ This post looks like what I actually read when I'm skimming a post. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:09 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Why don't we see what they've done before judging? Sure, Dragon Ball: Evolution was crap except for Piccolo's looks (and we have to thank James Masters for that), the capsule and the theme song Rule, but they may have done a good job for once.

And note that I have indeed watched DBE, so I know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
My name does not mean what you think it means
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I saw the trailer, and this really doesn't look like Ghost in the Shell beyond some of the tech.

What happened to the original plot? It was a deeply philosophical discussion on what would theoretically separate a human mind from a true AI and where humanity ends and machinery begins and instead we get... a cliche "you were LIIIIIIIED to" rehash of the hero/heroine getting used by the "good" guys who made him/her. We've seen this a million times before in sci-fi movies.

Why is Motoko white? Could they really not be bothered to cast an Asian actress in her role? Is it because Hollywood thinks Americans can only relate to white people? If that's it... that's really, really insulting to people's intelligence and not at all true. It seems like a lot of remakes/adaptations of Asian media get the "white actress/actor replacing the main Asian character" treatment. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's inherently racist to cast an actor of one race in the role of a character who was another race. However, when it's becoming a pattern in foreign media being retold in America, I can't help but wonder if Hollywood thinks Americans are too stupid to enjoy movies if the main character isn't white.

Where are the tanks? I don't recall seeing any in the trailer. They play a pretty big role in the franchise. Where's the Puppet Master? Are they ditching him along with the entire plot of the manga? Why do almost all the main characters, not just Motoko, look like they're played by white actors? Again, is it THAT hard to find Asian actors for a movie set in JAPAN? Why is the dialogue in the trailer comprised of stilted, cliched scifi one-liners? The holo-dude's voice doesn't sound "mechanical" or whatever he was trying to go for. It sounds like bad acting.

Even the geisha robots really don't look much like the ones in the manga. The anime/manga 'bots were made to look like humans so that, presumably, people would feel comfortable around them and interact with them like humans. These... things... in the trailer are dead-center in uncanny valley and would never be marketable as entertainment robots. Part of what made the geisha-bots eerie in the manga/anime was that they looked human but didn't act human.

This looks to me like it'll be a trainwreck. With pretty special effects. The biggest question though: Since the trailer indicates it probably won't remotely resemble the anime or manga in plot or style, why didn't they just take out what little it had to do with Ghost in the Shell and make something original?

Last edited by Fokkusu on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.