* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
So I started watching this a few days ago and holy crap I love it. I'm on Season 2, Jotaro is my favorite Jojo so far.

Post subject: Re: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:35 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I've seen all of the anime so far, and have read up to Part 6 of the manga.

Joseph is still my favorite Joestar, followed closely by Jolyne.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:13 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Mysterious2098Face
I recall the "93 version P-:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
I've been wanting to watch this!

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Prince Rose wrote:
I recall the "93 version P-:

IT'S AN ENEMY STAND

By they way, I'm in Battle Tendency 2012 so far just after the part where
Spoiler: show
Caesar dies

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

(Missing from the pics are the digital-only HD version of the Capcom game (PS3), Eyes of Heaven (PS4) & the other manga and OVA volumes)

Funny story here but the first time I got into Jojo was not through the manga or either anime but through the PS1 game since I originally bought it back in 2000 during my Capcom fanboy phase where I was buying every game they had released here on the PS1 (and later the Dreamcast, GBA & PS2). Didn't really like this game at the time because I had no idea what Jojo was (as it was the first Jojo-related product that got released in the states) and this version, unlike the original arcade & later port for the Dreamcast, has a story mode that had more than just fighting stages which made things confusing & frustrating at the time so I sold it quickly.

Fast forward to many years later when I got back into anime after a break (2007-2008), I learned about the Part 3 OVAs and some controversy it had over Islamic images shown during it's second half which led to the manga being temporarily OOP and the OVAs being OOP permanently (I believe the panels in question were redrawn which was how the manga later went back in print), I also learned about a PS2 video game covering Part 5 that was supposed to be brought over in the early 00s but didn't because of issues with changing the character names since in addition to the usual legal problems with certain artists (I had seen Prince's name thrown around, even recently after his passing), Hirohiko Araki was actually against the idea at the time so it just didn't happen. Thankfully he has since understood & accepted name changes, as long as it gets his approval, since Viz originally brought over the Part 3 manga & Super Techno Arts, who was owned by APPP, released the OVAs themselves on DVD.

I didn't really get back into Jojo until the TV series was announced in 2012 and when I decided to track down the OVAs before the show's premiere, I learned that Volume 4, the beginning of it's second half (also the first of the 90s-produced episodes), was very hard to find as even Right Stuf & Amazon didn't have it like the former did with the other volumes so I went to a Saturday Matinee store I was regularly going to at the time and was known for having rare DVDs that I bought before (including a hard to find Magical Project S set & some Trigun Remix volumes) and luckily enough, I was able to find it and in new condition so that store, which sadly closed down last month, really helped in getting me back into the franchise because I would have skipped the new show if I didn't get all of the OVAs (yeah, I was that kind of collector back then). I was also able to buy the PS1 game again for my PS3 from a third party seller at Amazon for $54 because the story mode I mentioned before was missing from the HD version as that game was as closer to the upgraded Arcade version as the previous Dreamcast port was (though the HD only had one arcade version and not two like the Dreamcast game did). I didn't like the PS1 game when I first bought it but I did after buying it the second time (aside from certain stages I can't beat at 100%) so it's why I still own it to this day.

As for the anime, the OVAs were a mixed bag with me because of how they were produced. The first half of Part 3 was produced from 2000-2002 while the second half was produced from 1993-1994 and in addition to animation, it had inconsistent pacing (first half was slow while the second was fast) but the 90s episodes were enjoyable for the most part.

The 2012 series was great, I was watching fansubs after it aired in Japan every week, because it didn't get licensed for streaming until 2014 when the Part 3 remake series was premiering, and it was a lot of fun. Also watched it dubbed through the WB DVD set I have and it was okay (I know some people had problems with the accents but it was okay with me). Now to wait for the Viz BDs that have yet to come out since the WB discs has problems unrelated to the dub.

Stardust Crusaders was interesting because they had to split-cour both halves to 24 episodes each with a break between them. It sorta made me understand why a lot was cut for the OVAs because this arc dragged for a while (mostly during the first half), but it was still a fun watch and like the OVAs, got awesome during the second half. I think I might like the rest of it better if I do a marathon watch so I'll just wait for the Viz releases.

Diamond is Unbreakable was good but it was easy to tell in later episodes that the Monster Hunter Stories anime, that David Production was also working on, affected the show's animation quality (as this was the first time since Fuji TV bought them out in 2014 that they had done two shows at once). They also had to deal with a change in staff because the previous director went on to direct Drifters at another studio so there was some worry but it turned out to be okay, despite it being 39 episodes with no break this time, and they have been fixing the animation problems for the BDs (and have been since the 2012 series) so it's all good.

Now to wait for a Vento Aureo (Part 5) announcement, heard mixed things about this particular arc so hopefully if it happens that they can make it good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This is just... Beautiful.

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 126.42 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

•Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 (LE Blu-ray) - 650 minutes - $69.99 (Retail) - 7/25/17

Quote:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1 contains episodes 1-26 in a foil accented chipboard box, 168 page booklet featuring storyboards, 9 full color art cards and more!

Special Features:
Director Commentary and more!
Clean Opening and Ending, Art Gallery and Trailers

Quote:
Order from Right Stuf and receive an EXCLUSIVE JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE "word effects" deep purple cotton bandanna as a free gift while supplies last!

This was posted on Viz's website...which has since been deleted most likely because this was meant to be one of their announcements at Anime Central this weekend. ^_^' [Afternoon Edit: Officially announced today and their page is back up, also apparently a one-print run and with Japan announcing their own Blu-ray box releases yesterday for parts 1-3, I don't see any Regular Edition happening here anytime soon].

Thoughts on the cover, not sure about the Joseph shot on the artbox (and I guess the back has Jonathan?) but the background on this and the disc art is pretty close to the 3 Japanese Phantom Blood volumes with the box somewhat matching the Jojonium manga that has been coming out here (see my previous post) and the case art background is pretty cool too. The 9 art cards has all 9 of the Japanese volume covers (like their Sailor Moon Crystal LEs).

Looking forward to getting rid of that WB DVD when I get this and also Parts 3 & 4 which I imagine will be split in 2 sets for each part (24 episodes each for Stardust Crusaders and 20 & 19 for Diamond is Unbreakable or 20 for both sets if they get the new Rohan OVA).