Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why do celebrities get treated better than normal people?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
It really pisses me off that celebrities get treated way better than normal people. It isn't very fair to send them to rehab or give them lower fines just cause they're rich and famous. :o I personally believe that all people should be treated equally regardless of whether they're a celebrity or not.

Post subject: Re: Why do celebrities get treated better than normal people?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
I think it is stupid. I mean they are just regular people. There are a few that I do like but it's not like I'm obsessed with them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:42 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Mysterious2098Face
it's ridiculous celebs get special treatment while hard working joes and janes get diddly squat well I'm sick of it
I'm sick of all the spot light local news gives them when they do the same exact thing we avrage joes/janes do get in and out of relationships, eat, clubbing, getting naughty :mischief: , giving birth, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Because they are famous people love to live vicariously through them and therefore feel inferior to said celebrity so they treat those they view as "above them" as royalty .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:31 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They have money and connections.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:32 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Because they are famous and people love them. Also many of them are supposed to be role models. Being treated like that makes you want to be just like them. Who would choose some depressed worker as a role model? They do get a lot of hate, too. So things are kinda balanced :P

P.S. Unless you come from a rich family with many connections, it is very hard to become a celebrity, so I think they deserve this respect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: just forum married
Most celebrities' fame fades out easily and then they're eventually become like ordinary people again.it's just a matter of time.Who knows maybe you'd be a celebrity one day and be treated nicely..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Other: Submarine Reflection
Because it's hard to get where they're at. Only a handful of people out of all 7 billion of us on this earth ever become millionaires, or make it to celebrity status. Plus, their job is not easy. It's easy to look at them and see their life as easy because you don't know them personally or know what their struggles are. A lot of them have to put on a mask for the public, and how would you like everyone always waiting outside your house with a camera, stalkers, people who hate you for no reason, etc. Most celebrities worked their ☹ off to get where they are, plus they have major connections. Actor's have it hard. They have to gain weight, lose weight, wake up at 3 am to start makeup and work, etc. It's difficult. I spend 4 hours every single day in the gym and hardly eat. Imagine having to do that on a whim for a movie role and drop 50lbs within a month? Jared Leto has done it, Christian Bale, etc. Instead of wondering why they have it so good and why people aspire to that, maybe get out of the house and work on bettering yourself, or volunteering somewhere so that people will see YOU as a role model? Just an idea. :confused:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
^ Amen :bow:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I would say it depends on the celebrity. Certainly it seems like a lot of male celebrities get special treatment and people will make excuses for their actions, like all the people who still defend Johnny Depp and Mel Gibson. But then women celebrities get a lot of extreme hate, harassment, and even death threats, if they don't meet a certain unrealistic standards, like how Daisy Ridley and Leslie Jones were harassed off of social media.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Neon Genesis wrote:
I would say it depends on the celebrity. Certainly it seems like a lot of male celebrities get special treatment and people will make excuses for their actions, like all the people who still defend Johnny Depp and Mel Gibson. But then women celebrities get a lot of extreme hate, harassment, and even death threats, if they don't meet a certain unrealistic standards, like how Daisy Ridley and Leslie Jones were harassed off of social media.

As for the entertainment industry, generally there's still no gender equality at present, just like many other sectors.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Celebrities are basically just humans like us everyday normal people, but they are also different to us in many ways because they are much richer than us, more famous than us, more powerful and influential than us, so of course they get treated better than us normal everyday poor working class people. As sad and unfair as it is, that's just how it is.

If you are wealthy and powerful and famous like them, you would be treated better too.

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

As for the entertainment industry, generally there's still no gender equality at present, just like many other sectors.

that's a good point and sadly that's true too, there definitely seems to be this double-standard people have regarding celebrities of both sexes, female celebrities in general do tend to receive more harsh criticisms and treatment than their male counterparts. But it also depends on who the celebrity is, there are some female celebrities who seem to get special treatment too like Angelina Jolie; who is still so famous and successful with many fans even though for many years she has built a bad reputation for being a husband-stealer and a home-wrecker, yet her many fans are so forgiving of her for that. She also received notoriety when she kissed her own brother on the lips, which sparked rumors that she had a incestuous relationship with her own brother, yet no one seems to care about that anymore.
And there are some male celebrities who have also received a lot of harsh criticism and treatment from the public too like Sam Worthington who is constantly being bashed and criticized for his acting abilities and alleged bad behavior.
As for Johnny Depp, well the public may be forgiving of him for his past bad behaviors, but his acting career has been struggling in recently years and his popularity and success has gone downhill fairly quickly these past several years, so I don't think he's getting "special treatment" at all.

So it really depends on the celebrity and who you're referring to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:

that's a good point and sadly that's true too, there definitely seems to be this double-standard people have regarding celebrities of both sexes, female celebrities in general do tend to receive more harsh criticisms and treatment than their male counterparts. But it also depends on who the celebrity is, there are some female celebrities who seem to get special treatment too like Angelina Jolie; who is still so famous and successful with many fans even though for many years she has built a bad reputation for being a husband-stealer and a home-wrecker, yet her many fans are so forgiving of her for that. She also received notoriety when she kissed her own brother on the lips, which sparked rumors that she had a incestuous relationship with her own brother, yet no one seems to care about that anymore.
And there are some male celebrities who have also received a lot of harsh criticism and treatment from the public too like Sam Worthington who is constantly being bashed and criticized for his acting abilities and alleged bad behavior.
As for Johnny Depp, well the public may be forgiving of him for his past bad behaviors, but his acting career has been struggling in recently years and his popularity and success has gone downhill fairly quickly these past several years, so I don't think he's getting "special treatment" at all.

So it really depends on the celebrity and who you're referring to.
There's no comparison between irrelevant tabloid gossip about the private lives of women celebrities versus men in the entertainment industry who get away with domestic violence and sexism. And Johnny Depp's career might not be what it once was, but he is still starring in the Fantastic Beasts films and Hollywood seems to be flirting with forgiving Mel Gibson for his decades of anti-Semitism and domestic violence for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm 
inactive
I don't think it's really an unfair comparison, because whether it's about adultery or domestic violence or sexism, they are all classified as things that these celebrities have done in their private lives and all these sorts of personal drama has reflected on how the public has perceived these celebrities. Sure having an affair with a married man and then stealing that man away from another woman might be considered as "less serious" as domestic violence and sexism, BUT it still impacted quite badly on Angelina's reputation especially during the early years, she received ALOT of criticism and condemnation from a lot of people in the public for her role in breaking up Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's marriage, especially from the many "Brannifer" supporters and Jennifer Aniston sympathizers from the public, many people labeled her a "home-wrecker", "husband-stealer" and a "sl*t". But that doesn't seem to have impacted much on her popularity, the mainstream public has already forgiven her for her actions and she is still so successful and famous since the scandal, she still stars in big blockbuster movies, still has so much success in her career even despite all the bad publicity about her personal life and her past bad scandals of being involved with numerous married men in the past, all of her past behaviors and actions doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Although I agree that domestic violence and sexism is much worse than adultery, but just like with Angelina Jolie, these acts of domestic violence and sexism from these male celebrities impacted greatly on their reputations too, and both Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp have received ALOT of criticism and condemnation from the public for their actions. But unlike Angelina, both Johnny and Mel Gibson's careers suffered greatly as a result, probably due to their actions. While Angelina's career continued to soar, both Johnny Depp and Mel Gibson struggled with their careers for many years after their bad behaviors. It was only just recently that Mel Gibson has started to slowly rebuild his career with the success of his most recent film Hacksaw Ridge. But Johnny Depp continues to struggle with his career, sure he still gets film roles, but every movie he has starred in in recent years have all continued to fail and flop at the box office, and he only had a small cameo role in Fantastic Beasts. His struggling career in recent years may be due to his rapidly declining popularity & support with the public, barely anyone wants to see his movies anymore basically.
The industry itself may be more forgiving of male celebrities like Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp for their actions, and it's no surprise because the industry itself is still rather sexist and misogynistic anyway. But that's not the case with the public opinions, there still seems to be a lot of backlash against Mel and Johnny from the general public, that would certainly explain why both their careers have been struggling so much and stagnant in these past several years. Like I said before, Mel has only just recently regained some momentum with Hacksaw Ridge, while Johnny Depp continues to struggle.

All along I've been under the impression that we're referring to the public's perception and treatment of celebrities, and not the industry's perception or treatment of the celebrities. How the industry treats these celebrities is one thing, and how the general public treats them is a different matter, actors like Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp is proof of that. The industry may be more forgiving and continue to give these celebrities acting roles and work, but if the general public doesn't care about these celebs anymore or don't like them anymore, then they won't support these celebs or their work, and that reflects badly on their careers, like in the case of Mel and Johnny in these past several years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Even in the case of adultery, I still feel like women celebrities get more of the brunt of attacks than the male celebrities. Even the charges of "home wrecker" and "husband stealer" are very gendered based. How many people attacked Brad Pitt as a "home wrecker" or just criticized him for his actions in the affair in general? Angelina still got the worst of the attacks in it and the affair seemed to barely phase Brad Pitt's status at all. It was the same thing with Rupert Sanders' affair with Kristen Stewart. Stewart got all the attacks and humiliation and Rupert barely got any of it all and Stewart hasn't had a big hit since then it seems like yet now Rupert is directing the live action Ghost in the Shell. You also have minority celebrities like when Ellen first came out she got so much abuse and nearly lost her career just for being one of the first out gay celebrities. Ellen is universally loved now but people forget how much hate she got when she came out. You saw a lot of the same outrage from bigots as well when Caitlyn Jenner came out as trans and trans celebrities can still face discrimination. Of course celebrities inherently are more privileged than us but I still personally feel like there's big differences between straight white men that are rich and powerful versus women and other minorities that try to become successful. In the case of Angelina, if she's not doing any criminal or saying racist and bigoted stuff or using her status in a discriminatory way, I just don't care about her private life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:23 am 
inactive
Neon Genesis wrote:
Even in the case of adultery, I still feel like women celebrities get more of the brunt of attacks than the male celebrities. Even the charges of "home wrecker" and "husband stealer" are very gendered based. How many people attacked Brad Pitt as a "home wrecker" or just criticized him for his actions in the affair in general? Angelina still got the worst of the attacks in it and the affair seemed to barely phase Brad Pitt's status at all. It was the same thing with Rupert Sanders' affair with Kristen Stewart. Stewart got all the attacks and humiliation and Rupert barely got any of it all and Stewart hasn't had a big hit since then it seems like yet now Rupert is directing the live action Ghost in the Shell. You also have minority celebrities like when Ellen first came out she got so much abuse and nearly lost her career just for being one of the first out gay celebrities. Ellen is universally loved now but people forget how much hate she got when she came out. You saw a lot of the same outrage from bigots as well when Caitlyn Jenner came out as trans and trans celebrities can still face discrimination. Of course celebrities inherently are more privileged than us but I still personally feel like there's big differences between straight white men that are rich and powerful versus women and other minorities that try to become successful. In the case of Angelina, if she's not doing any criminal or saying racist and bigoted stuff or using her status in a discriminatory way, I just don't care about her private life.

Well, many people back then were under the impression that Angelina was the one who "seduced" Brad in the first place, so in a lot of people's minds, it was largely Angelina's fault for instigating the affair to begin with, this notion could've been fueled by the fact that Angelina had similar previous scandals & rumors of having affairs with other married men before Brad. So that could be a reason why she received the bulk of the criticisms and humiliation. But I agree that it was equally Brad's fault because he was just as responsible for having the affair with Angelina, it takes 2 to tango, and although Brad did receive a lot of criticism from the public for the affair also, however it seemed like most of the blame was still put on Angelina. But like I said, the whole scandal did not hinder Angelina's career or popularity and she continued to succeed in her career. While Johnny Depp and Mel Gibson were not so lucky.
As for Kristen Stewart's affair with Rubert Sanders, yes that's another unfortunately example, she definitely received a more severe punishment and shame for the affair than Rupert did.

I do see your point about how there still seems to be this gender gap between how male and female celebrities are treated on average or in general by both the public and the industry itself, and I did state in my original comment that I do agree with you on this point, I never denied it. And sadly there's still no gender equality across most if not all other industries too in general, and it's not just in the entertainment industry.
All I'm saying is that there are still SOME exceptions of female celebrities getting special treatment and male celebs getting many criticisms and backlash and severe punishment for their actions, depending on the celebrity, such as the case of Angelina, Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp.

As for LGBT celebs, I think whether they're male or female they all tend to receive a lot of criticism and discrimination and backlash. Ellen is an example, but she's so universally loved now that I think she qualifies as another example of female celebs who gets treated better by the public, because her career certainly did not suffer because of her homosexuality, the general public has already overlooked the fact that she's a lesbian and has accepted it, she's so famous and beloved now and her career is so successful, and her many adoring fans love her and support her no matter what her sexuality is. Not many other LGBT celebs are as fortunate and beloved as she is now.
As for transgender celebs like Caitlin Jenner, she did receive a lot of backlash and shaming. There's no doubt that there tends to be a lot of backlash and shaming and discrimination of LGBT celebs in general, but in some cases I think it's mostly due to the initial shock and outrage that many people have about the realisation, but once the initial shock dies down and people have more time to digest the truth, more people gradually become more supportive and understanding and accept the truth. But it depends on who the celebrity is of course, like in the case of Ellen and Zachary Quinto, they initially received a lot of hate and shaming from the public when they first came out, but over time many people gradually accepted their sexuality and overlooked it, now Ellen is more universally famous and beloved than she ever was in the past, and Zachary Quinto has a successful acting career and he too has many fans who adore him also. There are actually many gay celebs in the industry, while of course there will always be discrimination against them and other celebs in minority groups in general, but there are also some gay celebs or celebs from other minority groups having successful careers and having many fans who support them.
We need to understand that this is just how society is in the real world, it's not just celebs of minority groups who get discriminated, us everyday normal people of minority groups get discriminated all the time too in real-life. I was teased and bullied and received a lot of racist hate when I was in high school just because I'm Asian, so I understand how being teased, bullied and discriminated feels like. And I never disagreed with the fact that people of minority groups in general still get discriminated, whether you are a celebrity or not.

What I meant by celebrities getting better treatment is that if you are wealthy and powerful and influential like many celebs are, you tend to be able to get away with alot of things, even buy your way out of problems maybe, or get other kinds of special treatment that us normal everyday poor people don't get or cannot afford to get. And let's not forget that celebs have many fans who support them and adore them, us normal people don't have that kind of fanbase or special treatment from the public.