Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Mummy 2017 (League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Reboot?)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:37 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doesn't really feel like a reboot. More like a new adaptation.

Last edited by rgveda99 on Sat May 20, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Mummy 2017
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
I already hate it and not just because Tom Cruise is in it but because its too modern looking the originals were better because they had a perfect setting

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I got a "this looks terrible" vibe from it, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I had the same feeling about the "Gods of Egypt" trailer. Maybe it looks too corny? Effects that are so over-the-top they come off as ridiculous? The fact that the "Egyptian princess" looks like a dressed-down angsty mall goth?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ryo Urawa wrote:
I already hate it and not just because Tom Cruise is in it but because its too modern looking the originals were better because they had a perfect setting

By "originals", do you mean the 1932 original movie, or 1940s remakes? For sure you can't be talking about those modern remakes of reboots of adaptations of remakes of "The Mummy" made after 1999? P-:

Fokkusu wrote:
"Egyptian princess" looks like a dressed-down angsty mall goth?

They should have casted Scarlett Johansson for the role. That would fix everything.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:44 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah. I'm getting a different vibe from the mummy.

I'm guessing it is because they're trying too hard to not make it look like every mummy out there.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Speaking of which: did you remember the actor who played Jonathan? He was on Agents of Shield

Back on topic: movie trailer seems like an interesting premise. However I am somewhat disappointed to have a new cast...

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 pm 
Stella
Stella
Maraviollantes wrote:
By "originals", do you mean the 1932 original movie, or 1940s remakes? For sure you can't be talking about those modern remakes of reboots of adaptations of remakes of "The Mummy" made after 1999? P-:

sorry should've specified I meant the ones with Brandon Fraiser You know The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, Tomb of The Dragon Emperor sucked but the first two were good

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:

They should have casted Scarlett Johansson for the role. That would fix everything.

That mummy-princess still looks pretty hot, tho, even tho not being played by Johansson. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:

Fokkusu wrote:

I know what you're getting at, but I'm not talking about race. I meant she doesn't look anything like an Egyptian Princess - she literally looks like a partially-nude mall goth. If I saw a clip of just her with no context, I'd have thought she was some sort of daylight-resistant vampire.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Fokkusu wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

Fokkusu wrote:

I know what you're getting at, but I'm not talking about race. I meant she doesn't look anything like an Egyptian Princess - she literally looks like a partially-nude mall goth. If I saw a clip of just her with no context, I'd have thought she was some sort of daylight-resistant vampire.

Should've got the young Elizabeth Taylor playing her back then. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Decided to alter the title since it looks like a "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" reboot.

Maraviollantes wrote:

Too late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal ... ilm_series)
Quote:
Untitled Creature from the Black Lagoon film[edit]
In August 2015, a new reboot of Creature from the Black Lagoon was announced, with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Jeff Pinkner being hired to write the film and actress Scarlett Johansson being offered to star in the film.[51][52] In March 2017, screenwriter for the DC Extended Universe Aquaman film, Will Beall, had signed on as screenwriter for the movie.[53]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:
Quote:
In August 2015, a new reboot of Creature from the Black Lagoon was announced, with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Jeff Pinkner being hired to write the film and actress Scarlett Johansson being offered to star in the film.[51][52] In March 2017, screenwriter for the DC Extended Universe Aquaman film, Will Beall, had signed on as screenwriter for the movie.[53]

Did she agree?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Maraviollantes wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:
Quote:

Did she agree?

Latest information was 2 years ago.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scarlett ... 70780.html
Quote:
Just because Universal reportedly wants Johansson to be involved, doesn’t mean she’ll sign up. In addition to being a first-time mom, she also has to fulfill her Marvel obligations. Most of the actors in the MCU are contracted for approximately five-to-six films, and Johansson has only appeared so far in Iron Man 2, The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. She still has Avengers: Age of Ultron this coming May and the big Civil War event next year, as well as all the press tours that surround those movies. She also has leading roles in the Ghost in the Shell movie adaptation, The Jungle Book and the Coen brothers’ new movie Hail, Caesar! on the docket. To say she would sign up for another major franchise might be jumping the gun.

Further working against her are the reports that Universal wants to set up their own shared cinematic universe of monsters. It was said to have started with Luke Evans in Dracula Untold and will now branch off into other films. Though the studio said The Wolfman is not on the current slate, there is a reboot of The Mummy in the works. If this is the case, then Universal could very well want Johansson to appear in more than one film, which is no easy-to-make decision. Although, the original Creature From the Black Lagoon was not a part of any shared universe, so perhaps the same will be said of the remake.

She's fulfilled 5 movies under MCU and GITS is already done. So she needs more films to white wash for her bank accounts. :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:08 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

I just want to point out that the old Universal Mummy movies are really worth checking out, especially if you like classic horror. Boris Karloff is great in the first one! The Hammer Mummy movies from the 50s and 60s are good too. I haven't seen the more modern movies yet, but this upcoming one looks fairly generic to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:14 am 
Stella
Stella
GTAB wrote:
I just want to point out that the old Universal Mummy movies are really worth checking out, especially if you like classic horror. Boris Karloff is great in the first one! The Hammer Mummy movies from the 50s and 60s are good too. I haven't seen the more modern movies yet, but this upcoming one looks fairly generic to me.

aside from Tomb of The Dragon Emperor the previous Mummy Movies were awesome Imhotep was a great villain

Post subject: Re: The Mummy 2017 (League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Reboot?)
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:02 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Never watched the 3rd film. What made it so bad that they decided to cancel it?

Also I would have wanted to see more exotic mummies from South America and Africa if there were sequels.
China isn't exactly culturally and paranomal-ly known for mummies. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
rgveda99 wrote:

They have hopping Qing vampires. It's almost the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:
Never watched the 3rd film. What made it so bad that they decided to cancel it?

Also I would have wanted to see more exotic mummies from South America and Africa if there were sequels.

Maria Bello was terrible as Evie and the plot wasn't very good it was so bad Rachel Weisz refused to reprise her role as Evie

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:05 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

They have hopping Qing vampires. It's almost the same thing.

Like this game/anime version of them: lol

http://orig15.deviantart.net/a08f/f/201 ... 7sgspz.png

( http://blood-pawwerewolf.deviantart.com ... -471076199 )

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:32 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Honestly I'm kind of confused what they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi

Quote:
A jiangshi, also known as a Chinese "hopping" vampire, ghost, or zombie, is a type of reanimated corpse in Chinese legends and folklore.

They're unique that's for sure but not mainstream enough in western pop culture even with Scarlet Johannson's white washing powers. ^_^'

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 am 
rgveda99 wrote:
Scarlet Johannson's white washing powers. ^_^'

It'd be hilarious if there was a superhero and their only power was making people whiter.

Quote:
Decided to alter the title since it looks like a "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" reboot.

... yeah, in a way it does. In a similar way "Gods of Egypt" reminded me of the slew of box-office-bomb supernatural action flicks that came out in the early 2000s.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:52 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Fokkusu wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:
Scarlet Johannson's white washing powers. ^_^'

It'd be hilarious if there was a superhero and their only power was making people whiter.

If I was a movie producer, I would go for that. Next day after the first "leaked" news about a movie with Scarlett Johansson playing a new X-Men villain with white washing powers, Twitter and Facebook would explode with millions of hate posts by obsessed fans, instantly skyrocketing it to the top of most awaited and discussed movies in the world. No matter what, it will be a major commercial success. Millions will go to cinema just to write afterwards how much they hated it. A new world record for box office during the first weekend. P-:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:

Quote:
A jiangshi, also known as a Chinese "hopping" vampire, ghost, or zombie, is a type of reanimated corpse in Chinese legends and folklore.

They're unique that's for sure but not mainstream enough in western pop culture even with Scarlet Johannson's white washing powers. ^_^'

Would look pretty hilarious for her to hop around in a costume of the Qing govt. officials - I'd pay to see that. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

Quote:

Would look pretty hilarious for her to hop around in a costume of the Qing govt. officials - I'd pay to see that. :lol:

Bouncing body parts of Scarlett Johansson will give the hopping vampire genre a whole new dynamics.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:16 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Right, that'd certainly be a bonus! :D

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:01 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Watch it. It's actually good.

And it is definitely A League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot.

Spoiler: show
You got Jekyll having his very own version of MIB organization. And Tom Cruise who is now somekind of messiah.

The only criticism I have with the film is it feels more voodoo than it is Egyptian mummy.