* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Seven Seas licensing Go Nagai manga
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ANN wrote:
Seven Seas Entertainment announced on Friday that it has licensed Go Nagai's original Devilman manga and Go Nagai and TEAM MOON's Devilman VS. Hades. Zac Davisson (Kitaro, Showa: A History of Japan) is translating both series.

Seven Seas will release Devilman in two hardcover omnibus volumes under the title Devilman: The Classic Collection. The first volume is slated for March 6, 2018.

Devilman: The Classic Collection follows the story of Akira Fudo who becomes Devilman after harnessing the power of the demon Amon. Nagai launched the original Devilman manga in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine in 1972. A television anime adaptation of the manga aired simultaneously that year.

The Devilman anime and manga series have spawned more than a dozen different spinoffs, crossovers, and remakes since 1972, including manga, OVAs, and a 2004 live-action film. A Netflix original series titled Devilman crybaby is slated for next spring. The series will be available in 190 countries or territories, with nine spoken languages and 25 subtitle languages.

Devilman VS. Hades is a stand-alone sequel of the first Devilman series. The story continues from the end of the original manga and follows Akira's new adventures, and also features a showdown between Devilman and Mazinger Z.

Seven Seas will publish Devilman VS. Hades in single-volume softcover editions starting on February 13, 2018.

Seven Seas has also licensed Go Nagai and Rui Takatō's Devilman G manga. The company will release the manga in single volumes beginning on October 17, 2017. Seven Seas Editor-in-Chief Adam Arnold stated that the manga is a "perfect entry point" into the Devilman franchise.

Note: At the same time they first announced Devilman G, they also announced Cutie Honey A Go Go as well.

Looking forward to buying all 4 and hopefully they get more titles afterwards, especially if Cutie Honey A Go Go is any indication.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat May 20, 2017 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Seven Seas licensing Go Nagai manga
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm completely floored, mostly because I heard Seven Seas wasn't able to license the original Devilman manga (which is why they opted for Grimore). I'm guessing they must've worked something out with Dynamic Pro. I'm really hoping this means they'll release the original Cutie Honey, and Cutie Honey 90's manga as well. The later was originally translated in English by the non-defunct, infamous Studio Ironcat.

Honestly, I'm apprehensive on how Cutie Honey a Go Go is going to do.

Not really a fan of omnibus releases, but I understand this is probably the best way for them to release it here. I'm assuming (and hoping) they're releasing the original edition, not the later ones where Go Nagai added in "Shin Devilman", and a bunch of inessential scenes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Umino wrote:
I'm completely floored, mostly because I heard Seven Seas wasn't able to license the original Devilman manga (which is why they opted for Grimore). I'm guessing they must've worked something out with Dynamic Pro.

I wonder if it has to do with all the hype surrounding Devilman Crybaby since Masaaki Yuasa is directing that show.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That could be it. Maybe Dynamic Pro is starting to realize Devilman actually, in fact, has a fanbase here? Whatever the reason, I'm happy.

Which reminds me... Devilman Lady desperately needs a license rescue.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:42 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:

Agreed, I have the ADV DVDs but I would gladly buy a re-release if Discotek gets it because in addition to the huge packaging ADV used for the box set, I don't like what TMS did with the opening because from what I had seen of some Japanese episodes on YouTube a few years back, they had the OP shown in reverse for some reason on the DVDs and this was also an issue in other international openings as well...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Umino wrote:

Agreed, I have the ADV DVDs but I would gladly buy a re-release if Discotek gets it because in addition to the huge packaging ADV used for the box set, I don't like what TMS did with the opening because from what I had seen of some Japanese episodes on YouTube a few years back, they had the OP shown in reverse for some reason on the DVDs and this was also an issue in other international openings as well...

What could be the reason(s) for that? :?

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
What could be the reason(s) for that? :?

No idea but TMS is the same company who pushed for the intro of the Lupin Castle of Cagliostro movie to be freeze framed for an English DVD re-release 10 years ago so they had a history of doing strange things for international releases.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
TMS was behind the opening being changed? I thought that was all ADV.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:34 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
TMS was behind the opening being changed? I thought that was all ADV.

There's an Italian version of the same opening on Dailymotion which says otherwise.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oz59 ... 3%BC_music

Though looking for the Japanese OP on the site brought me to this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xypn2_ ... -lady_news

I'm starting to think the reversed Opening thing was only on the Japanese episodes on YouTube I saw but it's strange because the rest of the episodes looked fine, ending included...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Interesting! I'm guessing the "Devil Lady" opening was solely made for international releases. It's been years since I saw the original Japanese version, maybe a reserved version was used for later episodes?

Not gonna lie, I love the cheesy bloody 3D logo. P-:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
Interesting! I'm guessing the "Devil Lady" opening was solely made for international releases. It's been years since I saw the original Japanese version, maybe a reserved version was used for later episodes?

The episodes were definitely from the second half so either it was that or the uploader did it himself to avoid getting them pulled for copyright (which I guess didn't work since they're gone now :P ).

While looking on YouTube today I also found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f40S1kShwBg

I know about Magic Knight Rayearth's pilot dub and the trailers for that but was there something for this? I'm certain Ocean was involved here because there's one piece of music from the Mega Man cartoon and the narrator sounds familiar.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
The episodes were definitely from the second half so either it was that or the uploader did it himself to avoid getting them pulled for copyright (which I guess didn't work since they're gone now :P ).

Considering how many different variations of the ending there were, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an alternate opening for later episodes.

While looking on YouTube today I also found this.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f40S1kShwBg

I know about Magic Knight Rayearth's pilot dub and the trailers for that but was there something for this? I'm certain Ocean was involved here because there's one piece of music from the Mega Man cartoon and the narrator sounds familiar.

Woah! Never saw that before. The narrator is definitely David Kaye, who did the narration for Ronin Warriors.