Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who's been on a cruise vacation?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This is something that very few people know about me: I'm absolutely OBSESSED with cruising and cruise ships...and I've never even been on one! I'd love to go someday, but they can be quite pricey. I'm lucky enough to live within driving/train distance to NYC so I can just take the port there instead of flying down to Miami or something, but even then, cruising is not cheap (well, it CAN be cheap, but why not splurge for a vacation?). In addition, most cruise cabins are designed for at least two people -- you can take one solo, but you'll have to pay anywhere between 150-200% in order to cover for the missing person, because they also CHARGE based on double occupancy. My family isn't really interested in going on a cruise, and neither are my friends. :( Studio/solo cabins are starting to grow in popularity nowadays, though.

Has anyone ever gone on a cruise vacation? What was the vacation in general like? Do you remember which cruise line it was on? What was the ship like? What kinds of feelings did you have during the vacation? And where did you go? :mrgreen: Admittedly I'm more interested in the ships themselves and things to do on board as opposed to destinations, but the destinations and shore excursions are a part of cruising, too. :)

Indulge my obsession and tell me about your sea-faring travels! :tuxspeedomask:

#BlueLivesMatter

Post subject: Re: Who's been on a cruise vacation?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
I've always wanted to go on a Disney cruise, though I'm kinda afraid of bad weather or getting seasick. ^_^'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
I've always wanted to go on a Disney cruise, though I'm kinda afraid of bad weather or getting seasick. ^_^'

DCL (Disney Cruise Line) is fantastic, from what I've heard. The ships are VERY clean and the service is usually top-notch because there's pressure from the Mouse himself to uphold the Disney name. And of course you get the added joys of seeing your favorite characters and the ship constantly showing Disney movies on gigantic screens. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course, that's just from what I've gleaned by reading reviews, etc.

Most people don't get seasick because the ships are HUGE -- you don't really feel it rocking back and forth unless you're standing by the very edge (front or back, or I guess either port or starboard). There are also pressure points you can wear that people swear by; these apparently cure seasickness by giving your body a central point to focus on, or something like that?? Of course there's also over-the-counter stuff like Dramamine, etc.

I actually would love to be on a cruise during "bad" weather. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'd love to hear a loud thunderstorm outside with rolling waves, rocking back and forth...it's exciting for me.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:03 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
We went on a Disney cruise one year for vacation and it was a lot of fun. We didn't get bothered by seasickness any but every individual is different so I would say maybe check with your doctor before you go on one if you're worried about it. The service was all really friendly and the food was good and they had a lot of live stage events when we went. We got to see this live stage performance of Hercules when we were there. We also got to see Finding Nemo in their theater on the ship and the beach we went to on the Bahamas was really nice as well. I would love to go again one day but my biggest worry is I worry about all the negative press cruise ships were getting for awhile. I never heard anything bad about Disney cruises but there were a lot of cruise ships in general getting into wrecks and I feel like that would be my biggest worry about going on a cruise now. I haven't heard of any major incidents lately though so has the problems with cruise ships been fixed lately or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
We went on a Disney cruise one year for vacation and it was a lot of fun. We didn't get bothered by seasickness any but every individual is different so I would say maybe check with your doctor before you go on one if you're worried about it. The service was all really friendly and the food was good and they had a lot of live stage events when we went. We got to see this live stage performance of Hercules when we were there. We also got to see Finding Nemo in their theater on the ship and the beach we went to on the Bahamas was really nice as well. I would love to go again one day but my biggest worry is I worry about all the negative press cruise ships were getting for awhile. I never heard anything bad about Disney cruises but there were a lot of cruise ships in general getting into wrecks and I feel like that would be my biggest worry about going on a cruise now. I haven't heard of any major incidents lately though so has the problems with cruise ships been fixed lately or something?

I'm so glad you had fun on that Disney cruise, Neon Genesis!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

To be honest...I think that the whole "major cruise ship incident" drama was incredibly overblown. Keep in mind that the media -- no matter which news station you watch -- has an agenda. The media wants us all to be very afraid. I think that there was a story of a cruise ship incident, and it got a LOT of attention, and so in order to boost their ratings they began to highlight these types of stories more often. I'm not saying that the incidents were staged or fake, but rather the media made people feel for a while that cruise ships were unsafe because it was helpful to their ratings and good for their wallets.

The cruise ship industry continues to operate, and if I'm not mistaken, more people are cruising now than they were a few years ago during those incidents. You don't really hear about them anymore because while I'm sure it still happens now and then, it's recognized as the rare thing that only happens once in a while -- like a tragic air plane incident. Generally speaking, cruise ships are very safe, as they are operating 24/7 throughout the year unless they go back to port for upgrades, touch-ups, and so on (and the cruise lines do generally keep their ships updated). They take safety pretty seriously.

All the same, there's always a risk -- that's why it's an adventure. :)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
I have not been on a cruise before. The reason, unfortunately, is that my family has a tight budget. :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:00 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
It's never really been a dream of mine to go on a cruise, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking one of the DCL's. *u*

If not that, then I think a cruise to Alaska would be amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I have yet to go on a cruise, but I do hope to someday. I too have long since been fascinated with cruise ships. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 am 
Luna
Luna
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
I have yet to go on a cruise, but I do hope to someday. I too have long since been fascinated with cruise ships. :)

Right?? I can't explain it but I just feel drawn to them. Cool to find a kindred spirit on here. :)

Sailor Neith wrote:
It's never really been a dream of mine to go on a cruise, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking one of the DCL's. *u*

Admittedly I'd prefer to go somewhere tropical, but a cruise to Alaska would be different and very adventurous!

Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I have not been on a cruise before. The reason, unfortunately, is that my family has a tight budget. :( :(

I likewise cannot afford one yet, sadly. :( :( :(

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Has anyone been on a gay cruise before?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:27 pm 
Luna
Luna
I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable going on a gay cruise. I'm strongly of the opinion that we as gay people shouldn't segregate ourselves from straight people. Gay cruises were probably more "necessary" or more important in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, but according to the gay cruisers whose posts I've seen on cruise-related message boards, they rarely if ever experience homophobia on "regular" cruise ships. Everyone's there to relax while on vacation, after all.

I'm just hesitant to go on a gay cruise, because what will that say about me as a gay man? Does it mean I also need to go to gay resorts? Should I only go out to gay bars? (I don't think we need "gay bars" anymore either, but that's just me.)

That said, I guess I can understand if some other LGBT people prefer to be around other people "in the family" or if they're not originally from a very "accepting" area. I'm definitely not against the idea of gay cruises existing, nor do I have anything against LGBT people who choose to go on such cruises. I would just rather not live my life defined by my sexuality, as being gay only affects me personally in one area: the bedroom. For many people, though, being gay is more of an "identity" (for me, it's just one small part of who I am) so I can understand why those types of people would like a gay cruise.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:11 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
John wrote:
Sailor Neith wrote:

Admittedly I'd prefer to go somewhere tropical, but a cruise to Alaska would be different and very adventurous!

That's understandable. I guess it's because I live close to a tropical climate that a trip to Alaska would be more exciting for me.
Plus, people who've taken Alaskan cruises say that it's really quiet and peaceful, and I could use some of both in my life. XD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
John wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable going on a gay cruise. I'm strongly of the opinion that we as gay people shouldn't segregate ourselves from straight people. Gay cruises were probably more "necessary" or more important in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, but according to the gay cruisers whose posts I've seen on cruise-related message boards, they rarely if ever experience homophobia on "regular" cruise ships. Everyone's there to relax while on vacation, after all.

I'm just hesitant to go on a gay cruise, because what will that say about me as a gay man? Does it mean I also need to go to gay resorts? Should I only go out to gay bars? (I don't think we need "gay bars" anymore either, but that's just me.)
There are a lot of countries that some cruises go to that still have extreme anti LGBTQ laws that a lot of non-specialized cruises don't take into account when booking the destinations. So I think there is still a benefit to gay cruises being a safe way to travel if you're worried about that issue and there have been cases of gay couples being arrested while on cruise trips in some of these locations. Although I do think the whole idea of the gay travel marketing is kind of weird in how it just kind of assumes that gay people are inherently interested in travel.