* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Luna and Artemis Dream Catcher >.<
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:31 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
So a few months ago I posted the Akuryo Taisan Dream Catcher which was amazing :googly: but I didn't know they had more Sailor Moon inspired dream catchers. Here is Luna and Artemis, I think they look so sweet!

Rightly so here is the link to their deviantart: http://theinnercat.deviantart.com

Attachments:
artemis_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9xo8yi.jpg
artemis_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9xo8yi.jpg [ 71.27 KiB | Viewed 4269 times ]
luna_s_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9nk07f.jpg
luna_s_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9nk07f.jpg [ 55.72 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]

Post subject: Re: Luna and Artemis Dream Catcher >.<
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Very cute =^_^= - maybe someone should make a Diana one too! :diana:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:29 pm 
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Very cute =^_^= - maybe someone should make a Diana one too! :diana:

Yeah that would be so sweet, a little one :innocent:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:13 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
It is very beautiful (the person who created those is very talented), but I personally oppose blending "Sailor Moon" or any other anime with sacred and cultural symbols.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:44 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
...but I personally oppose blending "Sailor Moon" or any other anime with sacred and cultural symbols.

You are a bit late, since the entire series is blended already with various symbols and references from Greek mythology, Shinto, Christianity, Buddhism, and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Maraviollantes wrote:
Clow wrote:
...but I personally oppose blending "Sailor Moon" or any other anime with sacred and cultural symbols.

You are a bit late, since the entire series is blended already with various symbols and references from Greek mythology, Shinto, Christianity, Buddhism, and what not.

You didn't get my point. It is okay that the story references all those religions. I am a Buddhist practitioner myself, and I love that Sailor Moon references Buddhism.

What I oppose is creating a Sailor Moon-inspired dream catcher. A dream catcher is a sacred and cultural symbol for Native Americans. Creating a dream catcher to promote Sailor Moon feels like cultural appropriation. It'd be the same as creating crucifixes featuring the image of Usagi, and not Jesus.

That being said, the artist who created those is extraordinarily talented.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
I am a Buddhist practitioner myself, and I love that Sailor Moon references Buddhism.

I can bet there are at least a few Buddhists who don't like those references at all.

Clow wrote:
It'd be the same as creating crucifixes featuring the image of Usagi, and not Jesus.

We have the Holy Grail, which originates from the cup Jesus Christ himself drank from, and which was used to collect his blood after the crucifixion, produced as a cute Sailor Moon plastic toy. That concept (and potential controversy/offense) is not much different from a crucifix with Usagi, actually. Not to mention that we have countless toy swords, mirrors, and garnet orbs - sacred items in the Shinto religion related to Amaterasu, etc.

Appropriating the Holy Grail for SM and producing it as a toy is okay, but appropriating dream catchers isn't? That distinction is completely arbitrary, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:57 am 
inactive
We can't all agree on the same thing and that is alright.
I don't feel they are promoting sailor moon either as its only an inspired design. Dream Catchers are sacred but they aren't saying its traditional either, it is also inspired by it.

I guess like the spider was there to visualize it capturing your bad dreams, normally represented by one bead on the dream catcher, one can take it a step further and be inspired by a character also.

It's definitely understandable for most people to feel that these things shouldn't blend, but in terms of concept and design, like music for example, we are continuously inspired by something or someone and make it our own tune even if it sounds similar, it's still our own.

Also like the symbol of the five pointed star, it has been adopted by many and it symbolized different things to them, probably still maintaining something of its original root.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
Clow wrote:
It'd be the same as creating crucifixes featuring the image of Usagi, and not Jesus.

We have the Holy Grail, which originates from the cup Jesus Christ himself drank from, and which was used to collect his blood after the crucifixion, produced as a cute Sailor Moon plastic toy. That concept (and potential controversy/offense) is not much different from a crucifix with Usagi, actually.

Actually Hotaru had already been "crucified" in a (dream) scene of the anime, as I recall. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
chasesummers wrote:
So a few months ago I posted the Akuryo Taisan Dream Catcher which was amazing :googly: but I didn't know they had more Sailor Moon inspired dream catchers. Here is Luna and Artemis, I think they look so sweet!

Rightly so here is the link to their deviantart: http://theinnercat.deviantart.com

Those are awesome. I would love to own them

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:11 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
Clow wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
Clow wrote:

You didn't get my point. It is okay that the story references all those religions. I am a Buddhist practitioner myself, and I love that Sailor Moon references Buddhism.

What I oppose is creating a Sailor Moon-inspired dream catcher. A dream catcher is a sacred and cultural symbol for Native Americans. Creating a dream catcher to promote Sailor Moon feels like cultural appropriation. It'd be the same as creating crucifixes featuring the image of Usagi, and not Jesus.

That being said, the artist who created those is extraordinarily talented.

I definitely agree, I don't like mixing TV shows and video game characters with religious items, it seems wrong to me.

But personally, these dream catchers seem fine to me without any problem, probably because I don't practice Native American culture, or I'm not Native American, or I'm just not into the practices, I don't know. I find it interesting, but I'm not too invested in it. I don't know how to explain it without seeming offensive.

But I know that I would not want to see Usagi on a cross! I'm Catholic and I like to respect God and Jesus, ^_^

Even religious scenes in the show like Hotaru on a cross seem wrong to me. ^_^' :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:22 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 11 months ago
inactive
If you have a problem with art using one/your culture's sacred items or imagery in poor taste yet don't see an issue with another culture's equally revered works being used, then yeah, that's hypocritical.

My friend told me her father disliked most mainstream or craft dream catcher art mainly because it was mass produced (all money going to a corporation that likely has no Native American ties), or it did not help any tribe out financially nor did it raise awareness for them. Plus it perpetuated the ~mysticism~ stereotype that he found tiring.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
PteraRanger wrote:
My friend told me her father disliked most mainstream or craft dream catcher art mainly because it was mass produced (all money going to a corporation that likely has no Native American ties), or it did not help any tribe out financially nor did it raise awareness for them. Plus it perpetuated the ~mysticism~ stereotype that he found tiring.

I suppose your friend & her father are native Americans? If so, that's even more understandable. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 11 months ago
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
PteraRanger wrote:

I suppose your friend & her father are native Americans? If so, that's even more understandable. :)

Yeah. Their family does make NA art, but they told me they send a lot of the money back to the families on their reservations. The mass produced stuff bothers them because none of the money will help out actual NA people. And the art is usually rooted in stereotypes or racism. Stuff inspired by NA culture being sold on Etsy, etc. is less black and white for them because they don't know precisely who is making that stuff, or where the money goes to. So they try not to judge. They would probably find the SM dreamcatchers kind of cute if they knew/liked Sailor Moon.

And don't get them started on headdresses at music festivals. ^_^' Granted I agree with their POV on that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:50 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
PteraRanger wrote:
They would probably find the SM dreamcatchers kind of cute if they knew/liked Sailor Moon.

I think the Sailor Moon dream catchers are fine if they're made just as a hobby & not commercialized/mass-produced. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:12 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Oh come on people, they are cute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
PteraRanger wrote:
They would probably find the SM dreamcatchers kind of cute if they knew/liked Sailor Moon.

I think the Sailor Moon dream catchers are fine if they're made just as a hobby & not commercialized/mass-produced. :)

Why not? Crucified Jesuses are mass-produced in millions of copies and sell like hot cakes - and a lot of them come with ungodly price tags.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:51 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
PteraRanger wrote:

Why not? Crucified Jesuses are mass-produced in millions of copies and sell like hot cakes - and a lot of them come with ungodly price tags.

Well, some faithful Christians also don't see such thing as OK, e.g. the commercialization of X'mas. :)

My J-pop thread