* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SMC Opening Re-Drawn in '90s Style
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
You have to watch this! A very talented artist took the time and redrew the second opening of SMC in the art style of the original anime. :shocked: :bow: It looks infinitely better that the official one. I love it! :love: :dance:

Post subject: Re: SMC Opening Re-Drawn in '90s Style
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wish it'd be colored in due course. :D

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 am 
Luna
Luna
It looks amazing even without color. The artist who did this added a lot more animation than it exists in the original and completed it alone in just one month. They single-handedly put TOEI to shame!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How to get Naoko to give this animator the rights to produce a new Sailor Moon anime....

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:07 am 
Luna
Luna
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the official and the fanmade opening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:19 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That was really cool! Someone has a real talent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
this artist blows those guys at toei away - get this one a job asap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am 
Stella
Stella
Wow they did a much better job then Toei. The 90s style just fits Sailor Moon more. Also I would really hope they color it I am sure it would look awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
MariaTenebre wrote:
The 90s style just fits Sailor Moon more.

I disagree somewhat, Maria. Rei, I think and maybe Michiru look much more beautiful in the manga's art style.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
MariaTenebre wrote:

The 90s style fits everything more. Toy Story ruined the world.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:00 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sailor Starlight wrote:
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the official and the fanmade opening.

Watching the two side by side, you can tell not only that they added a lot more animation/movement, they also fixed Toei's error of Sailor Moon still holding the Moon Stick in this opening. If only this person were part of Crystal's actual official team, so many errors would have been avoided.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 am 
Stella
Stella
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

I disagree somewhat, Maria. Rei, I think and maybe Michiru look much more beautiful in the manga's art style.

Well I always thought that the manga and the 90s anime's styles were fairly close on the most part. I mean the manga's style resembles more of the 90s anime then it does any season of Crystal. I mean look at Beryl for instance. Yes she has more of her manga styled dress on but physical feature wise 90s Beryl looked more like manga Beryl then Crystal Beryl did.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 am 
Luna
Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
I mean the manga's style resembles more of the 90s anime then it does any season of Crystal.

That's true. It's bewildering that some people can't see that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I am absolutely in love with this! So many little details were put in, like Venus attacking various Droids from the 90's anime instead of generic villains.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 am 
Luna
Luna
Umino wrote:
So many little details were put in, like Venus attacking various Droids from the 90's anime instead of generic villains.

I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it! :love:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:32 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Quote:
Worst episode of '90s Sailor Moon >>>>> Best episode of Sailor Moon CrystalImage

Oh really???

I don't think you made this thread for a good purpose. It's just for satisfying your hatress towards Crystal.

You really didn't miss any chances to insult Crystal, did you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
This fanmade opening is very impressive and I enjoyed it a lot. But the 90s anime was far from perfect and it also suffered a lot from inconsistent art styles and animation errors and off-model character design work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:
This fanmade opening is very impressive and I enjoyed it a lot. But the 90s anime was far from perfect and it also suffered a lot from inconsistent art styles and animation errors and off-model character design work.

I don't think that the 90s anime was perfect. It did have it's share of flaws. That being said Crystal had a chance to correct some of the flaws from the manga and they failed. Also I find it funny how people claim that Crystal's art style in either the first two or third season was somehow more faithful to the manga when in reality the 90s art style resembled the manga more. Crystal had more of the manga's physical trinkets but the art style is not close to the manga.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I don't really care what version other fans think has the best art but it is nostalgia bias to proclaim the 90s anime as some perfect godsend that would solve all wrongs if only Crystal was animated in that style.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 pm 
Luna
Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
Wow they did a much better job then Toei. The 90s style just fits Sailor Moon more. Also I would really hope they color it I am sure it would look awesome.

...yeah, I don't agree with that either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
I don't really care what version other fans think has the best art but it is nostalgia bias to proclaim the 90s anime as some perfect godsend that would solve all wrongs if only Crystal was animated in that style.

I'm not a big fan of the 90 s anime style . I prefer Crystal but that is my opinion. Why do some fans can; 't accept the fact that their opinions are just opinions, and not fact. Its kinda annoying to see saying one version is perfect, and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not this guy humilliating Toei and Crystal's character designer like that, LMAO.
They should hire him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm 
Luna
Luna
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the 90 s anime style . I prefer Crystal but that is my opinion. Why do some fans can; 't accept the fact that their opinions are just opinions, and not fact. Its kinda annoying to see saying one version is perfect, and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong.

Exactly, ESPECIALLY in the Crystal subsection of the forum.
I think, if anything, that people bring up the 90s anime being superior instead of te other way here than anywhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
It's not just about the art style though. The fanmade opening added a lot more movement and made the animation more fluid and even corrected some errors from the original opening. But unsurprisingly, some Crystal fans are unable to recognize that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
Sailor Starlight wrote:
It's not just about the art style though. The fanmade opening added a lot more movement and made the animation more fluid and even corrected some errors from the original opening. But unsurprisingly, some Crystal fans are unable to recognize that.

Nice dig, but nobody said that the OG opening had no errors. That literally NEVER came up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
It is nostalgia bias to proclaim the 90s anime as some perfect godsend that would solve all wrongs if only Crystal was animated in that style.

People need to stop using nostalgia as an argument. It's really just a buzzword that means nothing and used to dismiss legitimate criticism. Besides, if '90s anime fans have a nostalgia bias then so do Crystal fans with their nostalgia for the manga. It goes both ways.

Considering that Yukie Sato's character designs were difficult to pull of in animation, resulting in ample anatomical errors and off-model shots, I maintain that yes if Crystal were animated in the '90s style it would have certainly helped. Would it solve all of its issues? No, but it would undoubtedly improve some aspects of the show.

Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sailor Starlight wrote:
They single-handedly put TOEI to shame!

Since when Toei had any shame to be put in? :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:45 pm 
Luna
Luna
Sailor Starlight wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
It is nostalgia bias to proclaim the 90s anime as some perfect godsend that would solve all wrongs if only Crystal was animated in that style.

People need to stop using nostalgia as an argument. It's really just a buzzword that means nothing and used to dismiss legitimate criticism. Besides, if '90s anime have a nostalgia bias than so do Crystal fans with their nostalgia for the manga. It goes both ways.

Considering that Yukie Sato's character designs were difficult to pull of animation, resulting in ample anatomical errors and off-model shots, I maintain that yes if Crystal were animated in the '90s style it would have certainly helped. Would it solve all of its issues? No, but it would be improve some aspects of the show.

Opinion.
You could argue that a show with a larger budget that WASNT an ONA would have more fluid animation too, so what good is the 90s style then?

Seeing that its mostly fans who grew up with the 90s anime that lambast it for being anything other than THAT, then its completely appropriate to use that word. You don't see Crystal fans constantly going to the other section of the forum and making these type of comments unprovoked.
Not all Crystal fans are nostalgic either - some haven't even bothered with the manga and just prefer it to an older adaptation that's 200+ episodes.

You can argue "logic" and "reasoning" all that you want but at the end of day their rose colored glasses are still sitting over their eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:57 pm 
Luna
Luna
SILVER wrote:
You could argue that a show with a larger budget that WASNT an ONA would have more fluid animation too, so what good is the 90s style then?

Considering that even Yukie Sato had difficulty with keeping her own drawings on-model and were permeated by a plethora of anatomical errors, I support that this wasn't solely a budgetary issue but an inherent problem with the way the characters were designed.

SILVER wrote:
Seeing that its mostly fans who grew up with the 90s anime that lambast it for being anything other than THAT, then its completely appropriate to use that word.

A tons of people, both here and elsewhere online, criticized Crystal for its limitations without comparing it to the original anime. The fact that you perceive every criticism as a mere complaint that Crystal wasn't exactly like the '90s anime is not their fault.

Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 pm 
Luna
Luna
Do you want me to search your post history to prove your bias? Because you are one of the people who constantly did this during seasons 1-2.