* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need help identifying a magazine! I have been searching for
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Hello all, :googly:

I am in the business of buying and and re-selling games, comics, manga, etc... I am usually pretty ☹ good at researching age and price... but the other day I bought a box of 100 comics for ten dollars (I know, what a steal!)

Anyways, I bring them home to get rocking and rolling on the pricing, when i suddenly pulled a certain comic out of the box. Upon doing some research, I learned that "Mixx Entertainment" had teamed up with the Sailor Moon team to publish different issues of sailor moon as issues of Mixx (and eventually, Smile Magazine) came out.

Smile Magazine started releasing Sailor Moon AND (with the help of Stu Levy and Tavicat) they also began to print issues of a manga called "Sushi Girl."

Ok, this is where i need the help.

Attachment:
Snapchat-2012483346.jpg
Snapchat-2012483346.jpg [ 42.31 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

Attachment:
Snapchat-860654804.jpg
Snapchat-860654804.jpg [ 32.64 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

This is the comic I found. Just an advertisement for Sushi Girl, the Mixx and the Smile logos/copyrights, AND a note at the bottom telling you to go check it out in Smile... So this thing isnt a Smile magazine or a MixxZine...

Attachment:
Snapchat-2119939421.jpg
Snapchat-2119939421.jpg [ 26.6 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

But it also has approximately 40+ pages of Sailor Moon on the inside?? That is all the comic consist of. It is copyrighted in 1999, and has a picture of June 99's "Smile"
On the back, so I am going to aszume it was produced sometime between July and December of 1999.

So I am asking you this; would any of you be able to:

A) confirm that this is official?
B) see if it has any value?

I am just genuinely curious. Would love to keep it as a collector's item if it is rare.

This link may help you understand everything that happened to Mixx Entertainment (be warned, it's a looooooong read!)

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/00. ... index.php3

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks everyone! :ohmy:

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a magazine! I have been searching for
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:49 pm 
inactive
huh! that's curious. :orly:
i tried to look around but i didn't see anything particularly helpful. i'll ask my mom when she wakes up and see if she remembers what this could be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm 
inactive
artemis in distress wrote:
huh! that's curious. :orly:
i tried to look around but i didn't see anything particularly helpful. i'll ask my mom when she wakes up and see if she remembers what this could be.

Much appreciated! I looked all over and couldn't find a single picture. Now my curiosity is telling me don't stop until I figure it out :keke:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Firstly, this page may have some informative info:
http://www.angelfire.com/ne/nekointerviews/tavicat.html

2ndly, what you may have is a promo comic book issue by Tokyopop. I have a few of their tankoubon style freebies. Or the issue you have is merely missing its color cover.

I'm not sure when Free Comic Book Day began. So far I can't tell what you really have because the pictures you've shared so far are blank and white (grayscale), and I would expect a color cover.

Sushi Girl was an original creation by Stu Levy, and Tavicat worked on the project with him.

Sushi Girl appeared in Smile magazine for a while alongside Sailor Moon which was in the Sailor Stars arc at the time.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech