* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Malaysian DVD Review
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
NOTE: I am NOT associated with any seller of this DVD set. It's a bootleg (Despite what the seller says), and no money goes to Toei by buying this set.

I haven't seen any serious reviews of the Malaysian DVD here, just some hearsay. I ordered mine a while back, and just now got around to seeing what it actually contains. I'll separate this review into multiple pieces: Packaging, Art Accuracy, and Video Quality, as these are the most important things that I look at when I'm buying a bootleg DVD.

Packaging

Alright. The picture on the front looks roughly equivalent to ADV's Sailor Moon boxset, except with her Spiral Heart Moon Rod superimposed beneath her. Here's an image.

The DVD comes in an outer shiny slip case, containing an inner (dull art) DVD case that's approximately the size of two standard DVD cases. Inside the case, the discs are held by something similar to those books for CDs. The DVDs came out of order, and 2 were just stuck into another holder and thrown into the case. This isn't good for the integrity of the discs, as the thing's being shipped internationally, and a few of my discs came scratched (but still play).

Artwork Accuracy

Horrible. Here's an Imgur album of the disc art. The first season has the Sailor Moon R logo, the first 4 discs are labelled in order, but the rest are only in the order of their individual series, suggesting that the seller combined multiple boxsets together. Disc 2 of the R season (Numbered Disc 4) has Sailor Moon S artwork (Shows Haruka and Michiru), and both S discs show Eternal Sailor Moon. If you're a purist, I wouldn't recommend this set.

Video Quality

Just before I start with this, I want to say that when you're buying a 10 disc set of a 200 episode show, you shouldn't be expecting very good quality. The disc format is as follows (The auctions on eBay generally don't mention this).

Sailor Moon: 2 DVD5s.
Sailor Moon R: 2 DVD5s.
Sailor Moon S: 2 DVD9s (Dual layer).
Sailor Moon SuperS: 2 DVD5s.
Sailor Stars: 1 (!) DVD9.

Sailor Moon, R, and SuperS seem to be made by the same people, showing the same red copyright (haha) screen. The subtitles are a bit off on Stars as well. The menus for most of the DVDs are functional but barebones, except for S's, which has an animation of Sailor Moon doing a Moon Spiral Heart Attack before the menu, and a few other goodies like a creditless OP. If you want to see a video quality comparison, I've uploaded one of the eyecatches only here. Why the eyecatches? They have a lot of sound, the animation's at a high framerate, they're generally very colorful, and they're too short for me to get Content ID'd. The R1 official content comes from a group of mid-2000s DVDRips that I found online (No, I won't give you a link). The bootleg content was ripped with Handbrake. I couldn't add the R2 DVDs because the only release I could find with all 5 seasons was SailorMoonCenter's, and Windows Movie Maker doesn't play well with MKVs. As you can see, the bootleg's even worse than the ADV DVDs. The funny thing is, all of the series ripped onto that source I was talking about earlier was only about 30 GB, at least ten gigs less than just 10 DVD5s.

Conclusion

Despite the quality, it looks decent on my mid-90s CRT TV. If you want to watch the series on something like that, and don't want to spend money on a real copy, you'll have your expectations met. If you're wanting something that upscales beautifully on your 72" LCD 1080p TV, I'd maybe go for something else.

Post subject: Re: Malaysian DVD Review
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:38 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sorry mate, but we don't do bootlegs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
SailorWelshy wrote:

The main area is for General discussion, questions, reviews, scams, & bootlegs related to Sailor Moon Goods ONLY.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:02 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
shicky256 wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:

The main area is for General discussion, questions, reviews, scams, & bootlegs related to Sailor Moon Goods ONLY.

I meant that we don't buy bootlegs.
Really this should be on the bootleggers awareness thread.