Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is the origin of this poster?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So in the course of Googling Sailor Moon pictures, I've come across this one image and I wanted to see if anyone knew what the background of it was

The poster appears to show the Bandai America / Irwin "ugly face" dolls but wearing "civilian" clothes. I know that some of the 11.5" dolls came with a second outfit, but were they the same outfits or different ones? (If I'm not mistaken, Pluto's outfit was used, but I'm not sure about the others) Also, these dolls appear to be the 6" adventure dolls given the appearance of their shoes (which seem to be a part of the dolls rather than removable accessories), yet they lack gloves.

(There is another, similar poster featuring only the Inners, Rini, and Tuxedo, where Rini has longer pigtails.)

Most curious is the inclusion of Hotaru/Sailor Saturn (who, incidentally, has THE fiercest outfit of the bunch, and I love her hair). This seems to indicate that there were plans to make a 6" Saturn doll, but to my knowledge, none were ever made; only a limited run 11.5" "pretty face" Saturn dolls were made. (I also find it interesting that Uranus and Neptune are in their school uniforms.)

So I guess my main questions are: Were these dolls ever made? If not, why not, especially regarding the Saturn/Hotaru doll. I would have loved to own a 6 inch Saturn doll, it's the only thing my collection is missing. (Well, and the 6 inch Super Sailor Moon doll, but given its rarity, I'm okay with its absence, at least for now.)

If anyone can shed any light on these dolls/this poster, I'd most appreciate it!

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

Post subject: Re: What is the origin of this poster?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:15 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I've never seen these dolls before...but if they ever were made, then my guess is that they were old merchandise made sometime in the 90s, they look very similar to other 90s SM dolls I've seen. And if you look closely at the picture, it's clearly very old, like a 90s style photo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:42 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

This image shows that these were apparently the "deluxe" 11.5" dolls, not the regular 6" dolls. As this image is from the back of the box of the 11.5" Deluxe Adventure Rini/Mini Moon doll with Bonus Outift, that seems to suggest these photos were ads for that line. For whatever reason, they seem to have not made bonus outfits dolls for the Outers, except Pluto. Also not sure if one was made for Tuxedo Mask. And, of course, Rini's hair is different between this photo and the photo in the OP / the actual doll.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:17 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm guessing it's a prototype image that Irwin released to retailers. There are some early photos of Super Sailor Moon and Sailor Saturn from the 2000 toyline that look very different (one image has Eternal Sailor Moon).

What's ironic is that the three unreleased "fashion" dolls are the only ones who have outfits from the actual TV series. They gave everybody else random clothes (though it looks like Setsuna stole Rei's overalls!).

Also, those are definitely the 12 inch dolls. Prototype 6 inch Saturn dolls appeared on Ebay a few years ago, apparently Irwin didn't get the license for the character until 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:42 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
These 2nd Outfit Dolls were definitely made - the only one I own from that line is Sailor Pluto.

Irwin released the dolls many times over the course of their license: (frequently in both 12 inch and 6 inch sizes)

Original 5 that Bandai America also released in the U.S. - the ones Takeuchi-sensei called "Medieval Japanese" in style.

Irwin expanded into Sailor Moon R characters with the same face mold. I have Black / Wicked Lady and Princess Serenity from that line, though the rest of the Black Moon baddies also came out.

Eventually Irwin also released dolls in yet the same face mold and expanded into Sailor Moon S characters.

Then they did other things, like the 2nd outfit dolls and Light Up Tiara dolls. I have a Sailor Mars light up tiara (you raise her right arm and the tiara lights up) that was on clearance in Canada when I got her. Some S characters, like Sailor Uranus, Neptune, and even Super Sailor Moon were sold with a bonus Luna keychain. The eyes are different colors per doll on the Luna keychain. Another tell tale sign of updated costumes is the gold stitching on the bottom hem. You see this in box illustrations for things like the light up bed, wardrobe, and vanity. (maybe even the rare doll house)

Then the new release in light blue boxes in 2000 and new faces. By this time, Irwin was able to sell in the U.S. and Canada.

And finally, in 2001, Irwin released another round of dolls in yellow boxes, though between 2000 and 2001, the yellow boxes appeared in specialty stores primarily (I had a hard time getting Sailor Jupiter at this time), and a big display was put up in the Mitsukoshi store in Epcot Japan at WDW. I have photos of this display thanks to friends spending their honeymoon there and got photos of it. Sadly, sharing photos back then wasn't like today, so I wasn't able to find out before they left to be able to send them money via Western Union to go shopping for me.

I didn't get them all, but I tried to get one each time a new line came out. I'd be surprised if I missed a variation. And oh yes, don't forget the 17 inch dolls, and people frequently do.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Somebody posted an unreleased promotional catalog for Irwin's Sailor Moon toys, which includes "school outfits". With the exception of Usagi, they're all wearing their outfits from episode 90. Too bad they never got released... :sad:

Attachments:
outfits.jpg
outfits.jpg [ 30.98 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:05 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
My name does not mean what you think it means
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Umino wrote:
Somebody posted an unreleased promotional catalog for Irwin's Sailor Moon toys, which includes "school outfits". With the exception of Usagi, they're all wearing their outfits from episode 90. Too bad they never got released... :sad:

I remember the Usagi one getting a two-pack release with Chibimoon around the end of Irwin's run. The local Toys R' Us had trouble getting rid of them. There was also a two-pack of Chibimoon and Black Lady, which was impossible to find anywhere even before Irwin folded.

Image Image

It's too bad they never released the others, though. I think Rei looks the best. If these had done well, they might've gotten around to releasing other outfits for the Outers and maybe more characters (like the Irwin Canada line).