Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2016
Posts: 245
Gender: female
Larger than the manga?


Last edited by Swan Cat on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large in Crystal?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Posts: 445
Location: The Void
I don't see why Crystal would change that. Sure, they've changed a few things, but no one's roles got bigger or smaller in the long run.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large in Crystal?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 24, 2008
Posts: 3576
Gender: Male
I thought their roles in this arc was quite big already... despite just
Spoiler: show
dying in the end.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1426
Location: USA
Gender: female
Other: conservative
DREWdesu wrote:
I thought their roles in this arc was quite big already... despite just
Spoiler: show
dying in the end.

Yah people say there roles are not huge . In reality they had bigger roles than the senshi did in the arc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6875
Location: Philippines
I hope we get to see their secondary abilities/attacks in the materials collection.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4397
I wouldn't mind if their roles were expanded on but I wouldn't want it at the expense of the Inners and Outers who are the main characters and the Starlights are supposed to be minor characters anyways. It always annoyed me to no end at how the Starlights were given such expanded roles in the 90s anime and how the Outers were basically shafted even though they are supposed to be main characters over the Starlights. We should have seen such stuff as Haruka and Michiru going to Juuban High School with Usagi, Ami, Makoto and Minako, Setsuna as a nurse at Chibiusa's school and Hotaru and Chibiusa going to school together.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1799
Simple answer is no because then you would fans nitpicking and complaining how well it was executed like they did with the Generals subplot in season one. But Toei is never going to expand on it because they've decided that sticking panel to panel with the manga is the financially safe route with them after how much the fans complained about season one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:19 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 31, 2012
Posts: 2654
Location: Outer Space
Gender: Biseinen Angel
Other: Kuiper Belt
Leave those intergalactic goofballs as minor as possible...Well, except Yaten. I love Yaten. Lol. But honestly, I hope they don't. I don't even think the Stars series will even be long enough to even do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22664
Location: in my Aesthetic with Usagi
Gender: Male
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
less starlights the better

had enough of them in the 90s anime to last up to the 31 century

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2009
Posts: 5967
Location: Wallington, NJ
Prince Rose wrote:
less starlights the better

had enough of them in the 90s anime to last up to the 31 century


Image

Reminder of one of the reasons why 90s Stars sucked. :|

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22664
Location: in my Aesthetic with Usagi
Gender: Male
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
NJ_ wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
less starlights the better

had enough of them in the 90s anime to last up to the 31 century


Image

Reminder of one of the reasons why 90s Stars sucked. :|

makes me long for chiba :|


Attachments:
tumblr_lrfb1gthwK1qgxja9o1_500.gif
tumblr_lrfb1gthwK1qgxja9o1_500.gif [ 449.18 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:11 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
Posts: 2573
Gender: Agender
Can Crystal just skip them altogether and give us Kakyuu from the get-go instead? :P

_________________
I will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means Trump! #NotMyPresident

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 29, 2014
Posts: 448
Gender: Male
I think an expanded role for them would be ok as long as the balance with our Senshi was maintained. Longer and more detailed battle scenes would be a fun thing. Maybe some flashbacks of their roles on their home world before and during Galaxia's attack would be neat as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 06, 2006
Posts: 2652
Location: NJ
Gender: Male
No. The 90's anime already severely shoved them down our throats.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 29, 2014
Posts: 448
Gender: Male
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 06, 2006
Posts: 2652
Location: NJ
Gender: Male
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


The biggest issues I had with the Starlights is that they became the central focus of the series after they arrived. Every episode had some link or focus on them. They got more focus than the five Inners got in SuperS and Stars combined. The fact they were the only characters (other than Moon) that weren't killed was also extremely frustrating. S was able to introduce, and develop the Outers without sacrificing the Inners. Not sure why the writers couldn't do the same with the Starlights.

Also, they're just detestable characters. Seiya doesn't understand "no means no", Taiki is an intellectual snob that looks down on everyone around him, and Yaten is just a stuck-up priss. And yet they're all adored by the main cast. At least in the manga, a few of the Sailor Soldiers could see passed their flashy facade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:41 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 31, 2012
Posts: 2654
Location: Outer Space
Gender: Biseinen Angel
Other: Kuiper Belt
Umino wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?

Also, they're just detestable characters. Seiya doesn't understand "no means no", Taiki is an intellectual snob that looks down on everyone around him, and Yaten is just a stuck-up priss. And yet they're all adored by the main cast. At least in the manga, a few of the Sailor Soldiers could see passed their flashy facade.



Yessssss!! All of this...I still love Yaten but all of this is great!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22664
Location: in my Aesthetic with Usagi
Gender: Male
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Umino wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


The biggest issues I had with the Starlights is that they became the central focus of the series after they arrived. Every episode had some link or focus on them. They got more focus than the five Inners got in SuperS and Stars combined. The fact they were the only characters (other than Moon) that weren't killed was also extremely frustrating. S was able to introduce, and develop the Outers without sacrificing the Inners. Not sure why the writers couldn't do the same with the Starlights.

Also, they're just detestable characters. Seiya doesn't understand "no means no", Taiki is an intellectual snob that looks down on everyone around him, and Yaten is just a stuck-up priss. And yet they're all adored by the main cast. At least in the manga, a few of the Sailor Soldiers could see passed their flashy facade.

that pretty much hits the nail on the head, this all of this

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:48 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2009
Posts: 5967
Location: Wallington, NJ
Umino wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


The biggest issues I had with the Starlights is that they became the central focus of the series after they arrived. Every episode had some link or focus on them. They got more focus than the five Inners got in SuperS and Stars combined. The fact they were the only characters (other than Moon) that weren't killed was also extremely frustrating. S was able to introduce, and develop the Outers without sacrificing the Inners. Not sure why the writers couldn't do the same with the Starlights.

Also, they're just detestable characters. Seiya doesn't understand "no means no", Taiki is an intellectual snob that looks down on everyone around him, and Yaten is just a stuck-up priss. And yet they're all adored by the main cast. At least in the manga, a few of the Sailor Soldiers could see passed their flashy facade.


Image

Also to add regarding this season, the outers had a lot less screentime in this arc and in the case of Pluto and Saturn, the way they were killed off was VERY frustrating.

Ignoring the manga version's problems, the Stars anime's issues is why I compare it to Dragon Ball GT which was airing at the same time because both were badly flawed and were ironically replaced by reboots of older properties which ran longer than they did.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 1030
Location: New York
Gender: Male
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


So after you asked this question, you got a hefty answer about why people dislike the Sailor Starlights and it seems like a lot of people feel similarly.

I'm here to let you know that I agree with you. :) I like the Sailor Starlights. *This entire post is specific to the 90s anime, just letting you know in advance!*

Yes, it's a shame that they basically replaced the Outers with the Starlights and that's why I will always prefer the manga (and eventually Crystal) version of Stars, but the 90s Sailor Stars anime has a special place in my heart and those versions of the Starlights are a big part of that.

In addition, the Starlights didn't take time away from the Inners. ALL of the Inners got focus episodes in Sailor Stars; in fact, most of them had at least two. I can understand people being upset that the Sailor Starlights were so heavily integrated into the story and into these filler focus episodes, but it's simply not true to say that the Inners were shoved aside for the Starlights. The Outers most certainly were (and it's a shame, because the few times we got to see Seiya and Haruka interact were PURE GOLD), but the Inners had a lot of screentime in Sailor Stars.

The characters themselves are actually great. Seiya is passionate, emotional, and kind of a player. "He" is very protective of Usagi much like Mamoru is, but Usagi herself notes that their auras are very different. Seiya proves that "he" truly cares about Usagi, even after Mamoru comes back and Usagi makes it clear that she's happy with him. Episodes that really stand out for me for Seiya include the date episode, the "bodyguard"/everybody-in-Usagi's-house episode, and the episode in which the Three Lights are trying to learn a new dance and Seiya is struggling.

Taiki, like others have mentioned, is a bit of an elitist snob. "He" is very cultured and appreciates things like literature and poetry, but I appreciate these things because we haven't really had a character like that on Sailor Moon before. Taiki clashes with Ami and it's very interesting to see play out, whereas people like Usagi and Makoto can bring out Taiki's softer side. I love the episode about the sick girl in the hospital, the episode in which Taiki recites William Blake and goes on a cooking show with Makoto, and the two episodes in which Taiki and Ami clash.

Yaten is a brat AND I LOVE IT. "He" is easily the most immature out of all three of the Starlights, but "his" disposition makes him such a b!tch and it's fantastic because we haven't had a main character like this before. At the same time, Yaten is hiding a lot of pain and regret that Luna gets to witness. Both the Luna-loves-Yaten episode and the episode in which Yaten is judging Minako's idol competition really showcase that underneath the rough and abrasive exterior, there is a good person.

The Sailor Starlights, overall, are abrasive people in the 90s anime. They're pointedly focused on their goal, even to the point of intimidating Chibi Chibi in order to get their princess' incense burner back. Taiki and Yaten are guilty of this more often than Seiya, but even Seiya's bouts of emotional storms make "him" inclusive in this abrasiveness. All the same, there is a reason for this: they lost their planet AND their princess. They have been defeated in the worst possible way. They don't trust people (especially other Sailor Soldiers whom they've been fighting against all this time) and they're so incredibly angry at themselves. It takes them a long time to forgive themselves for what happened -- or rather, what they failed to do.

As an aside, I always liked the fact that the Sailor Starlights actually turned into men in the 90s anime. Yes, it goes against what Takeuchi says about Sailor Soldiers, and they're just cross-dressers in the manga; all the same, as a young boy watching Sailor Moon, the Sailor Starlights' existence finally gave me the opportunity to have a character to roleplay as without feeling weird about it.

The episodes in which the Sailor Starlights and the Inners work together or interact in non-battle situations are really when their characters shine. I love Seiya's playfulness when he decides to scare the Inners at the summer camp. I love how Taiki knows just how expensive and rare the broken items are when they visit and nearly wreck that rich guy's mansion. I love how much of a b!tch Yaten is. I just love them. <3

_________________
Dracula loves Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 29, 2014
Posts: 448
Gender: Male
John wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


So after you asked this question, you got a hefty answer about why people dislike the Sailor Starlights and it seems like a lot of people feel similarly.

I'm here to let you know that I agree with you. :) I like the Sailor Starlights. *This entire post is specific to the 90s anime, just letting you know in advance!*

Yes, it's a shame that they basically replaced the Outers with the Starlights and that's why I will always prefer the manga (and eventually Crystal) version of Stars, but the 90s Sailor Stars anime has a special place in my heart and those versions of the Starlights are a big part of that.

In addition, the Starlights didn't take time away from the Inners. ALL of the Inners got focus episodes in Sailor Stars; in fact, most of them had at least two. I can understand people being upset that the Sailor Starlights were so heavily integrated into the story and into these filler focus episodes, but it's simply not true to say that the Inners were shoved aside for the Starlights. The Outers most certainly were (and it's a shame, because the few times we got to see Seiya and Haruka interact were PURE GOLD), but the Inners had a lot of screentime in Sailor Stars.

The characters themselves are actually great. Seiya is passionate, emotional, and kind of a player. "He" is very protective of Usagi much like Mamoru is, but Usagi herself notes that their auras are very different. Seiya proves that "he" truly cares about Usagi, even after Mamoru comes back and Usagi makes it clear that she's happy with him. Episodes that really stand out for me for Seiya include the date episode, the "bodyguard"/everybody-in-Usagi's-house episode, and the episode in which the Three Lights are trying to learn a new dance and Seiya is struggling.

Taiki, like others have mentioned, is a bit of an elitist snob. "He" is very cultured and appreciates things like literature and poetry, but I appreciate these things because we haven't really had a character like that on Sailor Moon before. Taiki clashes with Ami and it's very interesting to see play out, whereas people like Usagi and Makoto can bring out Taiki's softer side. I love the episode about the sick girl in the hospital, the episode in which Taiki recites William Blake and goes on a cooking show with Makoto, and the two episodes in which Taiki and Ami clash.

Yaten is a brat AND I LOVE IT. "He" is easily the most immature out of all three of the Starlights, but "his" disposition makes him such a b!tch and it's fantastic because we haven't had a main character like this before. At the same time, Yaten is hiding a lot of pain and regret that Luna gets to witness. Both the Luna-loves-Yaten episode and the episode in which Yaten is judging Minako's idol competition really showcase that underneath the rough and abrasive exterior, there is a good person.

The Sailor Starlights, overall, are abrasive people in the 90s anime. They're pointedly focused on their goal, even to the point of intimidating Chibi Chibi in order to get their princess' incense burner back. Taiki and Yaten are guilty of this more often than Seiya, but even Seiya's bouts of emotional storms make "him" inclusive in this abrasiveness. All the same, there is a reason for this: they lost their planet AND their princess. They have been defeated in the worst possible way. They don't trust people (especially other Sailor Soldiers whom they've been fighting against all this time) and they're so incredibly angry at themselves. It takes them a long time to forgive themselves for what happened -- or rather, what they failed to do.

As an aside, I always liked the fact that the Sailor Starlights actually turned into men in the 90s anime. Yes, it goes against what Takeuchi says about Sailor Soldiers, and they're just cross-dressers in the manga; all the same, as a young boy watching Sailor Moon, the Sailor Starlights' existence finally gave me the opportunity to have a character to roleplay as without feeling weird about it.

The episodes in which the Sailor Starlights and the Inners work together or interact in non-battle situations are really when their characters shine. I love Seiya's playfulness when he decides to scare the Inners at the summer camp. I love how Taiki knows just how expensive and rare the broken items are when they visit and nearly wreck that rich guy's mansion. I love how much of a b!tch Yaten is. I just love them. <3


Cool review of the Starlights and their role in the series. I agree with you on pretty much every point. I must admit I didn't like Stars all the much the first time I saw it but on a rewatch with my roommate, I really enjoyed it. I really like Seiya although I freely admit "he's" far from perfect. He's funny, kind of pushy, and ultimately a true friend. Good post :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Posts: 239
Location: Germany
John wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Am I the only on that actually likes the Sailor Starlights? What is everyone's problem?


So after you asked this question, you got a hefty answer about why people dislike the Sailor Starlights and it seems like a lot of people feel similarly.

I'm here to let you know that I agree with you. :) I like the Sailor Starlights. *This entire post is specific to the 90s anime, just letting you know in advance!*

Yes, it's a shame that they basically replaced the Outers with the Starlights and that's why I will always prefer the manga (and eventually Crystal) version of Stars, but the 90s Sailor Stars anime has a special place in my heart and those versions of the Starlights are a big part of that.

In addition, the Starlights didn't take time away from the Inners. ALL of the Inners got focus episodes in Sailor Stars; in fact, most of them had at least two. I can understand people being upset that the Sailor Starlights were so heavily integrated into the story and into these filler focus episodes, but it's simply not true to say that the Inners were shoved aside for the Starlights. The Outers most certainly were (and it's a shame, because the few times we got to see Seiya and Haruka interact were PURE GOLD), but the Inners had a lot of screentime in Sailor Stars.

The characters themselves are actually great. Seiya is passionate, emotional, and kind of a player. "He" is very protective of Usagi much like Mamoru is, but Usagi herself notes that their auras are very different. Seiya proves that "he" truly cares about Usagi, even after Mamoru comes back and Usagi makes it clear that she's happy with him. Episodes that really stand out for me for Seiya include the date episode, the "bodyguard"/everybody-in-Usagi's-house episode, and the episode in which the Three Lights are trying to learn a new dance and Seiya is struggling.

Taiki, like others have mentioned, is a bit of an elitist snob. "He" is very cultured and appreciates things like literature and poetry, but I appreciate these things because we haven't really had a character like that on Sailor Moon before. Taiki clashes with Ami and it's very interesting to see play out, whereas people like Usagi and Makoto can bring out Taiki's softer side. I love the episode about the sick girl in the hospital, the episode in which Taiki recites William Blake and goes on a cooking show with Makoto, and the two episodes in which Taiki and Ami clash.

Yaten is a brat AND I LOVE IT. "He" is easily the most immature out of all three of the Starlights, but "his" disposition makes him such a b!tch and it's fantastic because we haven't had a main character like this before. At the same time, Yaten is hiding a lot of pain and regret that Luna gets to witness. Both the Luna-loves-Yaten episode and the episode in which Yaten is judging Minako's idol competition really showcase that underneath the rough and abrasive exterior, there is a good person.

The Sailor Starlights, overall, are abrasive people in the 90s anime. They're pointedly focused on their goal, even to the point of intimidating Chibi Chibi in order to get their princess' incense burner back. Taiki and Yaten are guilty of this more often than Seiya, but even Seiya's bouts of emotional storms make "him" inclusive in this abrasiveness. All the same, there is a reason for this: they lost their planet AND their princess. They have been defeated in the worst possible way. They don't trust people (especially other Sailor Soldiers whom they've been fighting against all this time) and they're so incredibly angry at themselves. It takes them a long time to forgive themselves for what happened -- or rather, what they failed to do.

As an aside, I always liked the fact that the Sailor Starlights actually turned into men in the 90s anime. Yes, it goes against what Takeuchi says about Sailor Soldiers, and they're just cross-dressers in the manga; all the same, as a young boy watching Sailor Moon, the Sailor Starlights' existence finally gave me the opportunity to have a character to roleplay as without feeling weird about it.

The episodes in which the Sailor Starlights and the Inners work together or interact in non-battle situations are really when their characters shine. I love Seiya's playfulness when he decides to scare the Inners at the summer camp. I love how Taiki knows just how expensive and rare the broken items are when they visit and nearly wreck that rich guy's mansion. I love how much of a b!tch Yaten is. I just love them. <3


You speak out of my soul.

I´m self a big Starlights & Kakyuu fan. V*__________*V

_________________
Bishoujo senshi Sailor Moon forever!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6875
Location: Philippines
NJ_ wrote:
Ignoring the manga version's problems, the Stars anime's issues is why I compare it to Dragon Ball GT which was airing at the same time because both were badly flawed and were ironically replaced by reboots of older properties which ran longer than they did.


There seems to be a terrible pattern here from TOEI. :P P-:

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Jan 16, 2017
Posts: 221
Location: Italy
Gender: Female
NJ_ wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
less starlights the better

had enough of them in the 90s anime to last up to the 31 century


Image

Reminder of one of the reasons why 90s Stars sucked. :|
That sentence.... Mediaset was wise enough to change it.(actually the only good change in the italian dub of Stars)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 08, 2011
Posts: 1170
I also dont think Starlights took anything from Inners, specially Minako and Ami had significant time to shine in this season. As for Outers i agree with Pluto and Saturn but i wouldnt say Haruka and Michiru were shafted either. And to be fair the manga also wasnt all that generous to Outers post Infinity. In Dream they get reintroducted as a group (inners all get their new powers separately) and in Stars they're killed as a group...off screen. That doesnt really explain why the 90s anime shafted Pluto and Saturn in second half of Stars but its not solely the anime issue

NJ_ wrote:
Ignoring the manga version's problems, the Stars anime's issues is why I compare it to Dragon Ball GT which was airing at the same time because both were badly flawed and were ironically replaced by reboots of older properties which ran longer than they did.



I dont agree with that at all for several reasons. First of all DB and DBZ for the most part were rather faithful manga adaptation, DBGT was something completely separate done without Toriyama. The 90s anime right form the get go was very different than the manga. It was more of an alternate story but with Takeuchi's involvement. Another thing is that DBGT tried to do may different things in its run, had few smaller arcs, it felt like they just jumping around different ideas. Stars on the other hand was very focused on one story, still connected to the manga. It was surprisingly cohesive. The only thing that was different this time around was that the anime didnt introduced some characters that appeared in the manga (mainly more enemies from Shadow Galactica) andthe biggest one of them was Sailor Cosmos that appears at the end. But that isnt even all that weird because the anime ended without waiting for the manga to finish.

All in all i like Starlights, they were first senshi outside of our solar system and their attitude and problems made a lot of sense during the series. My only problem with Stars was that it felt like a great 5th season but not thee best final season. It would be better if they finished the story with some additional OVA series where they'd adapt some of the final chapters of the manga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:21 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6875
Location: Philippines
SailorSugababe wrote:
It was surprisingly cohesive. The only thing that was different this time around was that the anime didnt introduced some characters that appeared in the manga (mainly more enemies from Shadow Galactica) andthe biggest one of them was Sailor Cosmos that appears at the end.


I actually like the anime's version of Sailor Cosmos because she was more mysterious. 8)

Plus there's more reason to enjoy Crystal now that we get to see her fleshed out properly after so many years along with the other missing sailors. ^_^

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 1030
Location: New York
Gender: Male
rgveda99 wrote:
SailorSugababe wrote:
It was surprisingly cohesive. The only thing that was different this time around was that the anime didnt introduced some characters that appeared in the manga (mainly more enemies from Shadow Galactica) andthe biggest one of them was Sailor Cosmos that appears at the end.


I actually like the anime's version of Sailor Cosmos because she was more mysterious. 8)

Plus there's more reason to enjoy Crystal now that we get to see her fleshed out properly after so many years along with the other missing sailors. ^_^


There literally is no version of Sailor Cosmos in the 90s anime, though. They very briefly used a silhouette of her design for a completely different character (the Light of Hope, AKA Galaxia's Star Seed/Chibi Chibi).

_________________
Dracula loves Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1799
I think part of the reason for the perception that the Inners get shafted in 90s Stars is because it's a shorter season than all the others. But all the Inners get about one episode per villain arc which is about the same amount of screentime they all get in the other seasons. And unlike previous seasons, Makoto and Minako do not share a filler in episode in Stars, so in a way, it's actually a bit more focused on the Inners in Stars than in previous seasons, which were always more focused on side characters, victims of the week, and Usagi and her drama. I also agree Pluto and Saturn are the only Outers that really get shafted in Stars. But Uranus and Neptune probably get the most screentime of the original Guardians in Stars, especially in the final six episodes. I also personally enjoy the Starlights and feel the hate for them is overblown at times. i can understand the criticisms to Seiya's relationship with Usagi but Mamoru also treated Usagi like crap all throughout the first two seasons of the 90s anime yet I feel like fans excuse Mamoru's behavior all the time. The Starilghts' attitude is always meant to be seen as funny and I think it's a bit of a double standard that fans praise the Outers for their aloof attitudes even though they were just as rude to the Inners in the 90s anime. But the Outers get praised as being cool and mature while the Starlights get bashed as being rude and annoying even though the Starlights are acting in the exact same way as the Outers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 29, 2014
Posts: 448
Gender: Male
Neon Genesis wrote:
I think part of the reason for the perception that the Inners get shafted in 90s Stars is because it's a shorter season than all the others. But all the Inners get about one episode per villain arc which is about the same amount of screentime they all get in the other seasons. And unlike previous seasons, Makoto and Minako do not share a filler in episode in Stars, so in a way, it's actually a bit more focused on the Inners in Stars than in previous seasons, which were always more focused on side characters, victims of the week, and Usagi and her drama. I also agree Pluto and Saturn are the only Outers that really get shafted in Stars. But Uranus and Neptune probably get the most screentime of the original Guardians in Stars, especially in the final six episodes. I also personally enjoy the Starlights and feel the hate for them is overblown at times. i can understand the criticisms to Seiya's relationship with Usagi but Mamoru also treated Usagi like crap all throughout the first two seasons of the 90s anime yet I feel like fans excuse Mamoru's behavior all the time. The Starilghts' attitude is always meant to be seen as funny and I think it's a bit of a double standard that fans praise the Outers for their aloof attitudes even though they were just as rude to the Inners in the 90s anime. But the Outers get praised as being cool and mature while the Starlights get bashed as being rude and annoying even though the Starlights are acting in the exact same way as the Outers.


Good points. I thought the Inners got plenty of screen time and focus. I do wish we'd seen more of Hotaru. I say her because Pluto did show up sometimes but after the Nehelenia arc, Hotaru just vanished until the end. She should have had a few episodes. Sailor Saturn in casual battle would be awesome but possibly make it too one sided lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the Starlights have a large role in Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 06, 2006
Posts: 2652
Location: NJ
Gender: Male
John wrote:
In addition, the Starlights didn't take time away from the Inners. ALL of the Inners got focus episodes in Sailor Stars; in fact, most of them had at least two. I can understand people being upset that the Sailor Starlights were so heavily integrated into the story and into these filler focus episodes, but it's simply not true to say that the Inners were shoved aside for the Starlights. The Outers most certainly were (and it's a shame, because the few times we got to see Seiya and Haruka interact were PURE GOLD), but the Inners had a lot of screentime in Sailor Stars.


I disagree. There may have been episodes that may have heavily featured one of the Inners, but the overall plot would still be overshadowed by the presence of the Three Lights. Take for example the episode where Taiki invites Mako, and Usagi on a cooking show with him. Yes, Mako is featured, but none of the focus is on her. It's predominately on Taiki. Or what about the episode featuring a Sister from Rei's school? Again, Rei is featured in the episode, but the main focus is on Seiya. And it wasn't just that, the storyline for every episode had to intertwined with the Starlights. Rei goes to visit her cousin. Oh, the Three Lights are filming a movie nearby. Ami visits a dying girl in the hospital. Hey, she's a huge fan of the Taiki. There were even episodes in S where the Outers barely appeared. While in Stars, the Three Lights always had to be given some sort of focus.

The fact that the Inners sacrifice themselves to save the Starlights during the big finale is a huge kick in the pants, and also clearly shows us who the writers truly valued at this point.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator