Total votes : 98
 Post subject: Re: Crystal Usagi or Classic Usagi
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Classic Usagi of course she was just such a loveable character it was impossible to hate her, her Crystal counterpart was kinda bland to me she just wasn't as fun a character as she was in the 90s anime

How About PGSM?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Classic Usagi of course she was just such a loveable character it was impossible to hate her, her Crystal counterpart was kinda bland to me she just wasn't as fun a character as she was in the 90s anime

How About PGSM?

I have no opinion on PGSM as I've never watched it

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:

How About PGSM?

I have no opinion on PGSM as I've never watched it

I recommend it as the best version of Dark Kingdom arc
Aside from Sailor Luna and other elements that I consider cons
A couple of pros it has the best Rei and probably my favorite Ami I love beryl and the shittenou here too
Also a competent version of tuxedo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
A couple of pros it has the best Rei and probably my favorite Ami
Also a competent version tuxedo

are the episodes on YouTube? if so I may watch it but I cannot guarantee I'll like it

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
A couple of pros it has the best Rei and probably my favorite Ami
Also a competent version tuxedo

are the episodes on YouTube? if so I may watch it but I cannot guarantee I'll like it

There are but YouTube tends to delete so you gotta strike when the iron is hot
I think in the drama section crunchyroll has them, at least they did in '07 when I finished it ^_^'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I personally love all the versions of Usagi. I think they all have their own strengths and weaknesses and no one version is going to be perfect. I love that Usagi is more mature n the manga and Crystal but I was also always inspired by Usagi's pacifist ideals in the original anime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:04 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
My main issue with Manga or Crystal Usagi is how every character, from her friends to even sometimes her enemies, revere her... Sometimes even worship her to the point where it feels a little unrealistic.

Like, putting aside how little development we see the relationships between Usagi and the Inners get in the manga (at least you know they spent considerable time together during the Silver Millennium, so arguably their bonds cross over spacetime)...Why exactly did the Outers look up to Princess Serenity during the Silver Millennium? They never met the girl. In fact, it's weird to me that they wouldn't even be a little bit bitter towards the fact that their Queen made them fight in complete and total isolation since they were possibly children. Don't get me wrong, I love Haruka's interactions with Usagi in the manga and Crystal and how it's refreshingly less antagonistic, but it made me cringe when the Outers said that Princess Serenity was their light of hope during the elevator scene because it felt completely unearned... And this is one of Naoko's biggest flaws as a writer.

That said, the '90s anime had like the total opposite problem where the jokes toward Usagi would sometimes go a little too far. I love that the original anime portrayed Usagi as imperfect. I VASTLY prefer flawed and imperfect characters vs. characters that seem to embody flawless ideals (not accusing Manga!Usagi of this before someone gets hysterical). But at the same time, some of the jokes went too far for a cheap gag.

It's like both series never managed to find a healthy balance with the two. Except for PGSM!Usagi, who honestly is much more realistic than her manga and anime counterparts (so much so that sometimes she appears less brave than her other counterparts... But I find that refreshing.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Prince Rose wrote:
I think in the drama section crunchyroll has them, at least they did in '07 when I finished it ^_^'

I just checked yesterday and its not on there but even if it was I'm not sure I could watch it my subscription is anime only

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:

I just checked yesterday and its not on there but even if it was I'm not sure I could watch it my subscription is anime only

Well it was ten years ago so its likely not there ^_^'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
i didn't like classic usagi she was so cry baby & clumsy and acting like a kid

i prefer crystal :evillaugh:

but if it was stars vs classic i will choose stars for sure :oh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:20 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
It's obvious that 90's Usagi is the clear winner!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Classic Usagi is what made me fall in love with her & her character development.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
I prefer Usagi in Crystal because she's more mature and grounded in Crystal, even though she's still a bit of a klutz and a crybaby sometimes in Crystal, but it's not as bad as how she was in the 90s anime. So for me, Usagi is more likable in Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I love Crystal and the manga, but I always prefered the old anime version of Usagi. I like how she is more mature and grounded in the manga, but I Can not stand how she is worshipped like a godess by everybody, who are willing to give up their hopes and Dreams for her. Old anime Usagi is lazy, childish, and crybaby but these flaws make her more Human and likable to me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:56 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
I love Crystal and the manga, but I always prefered the old anime version of Usagi. I like how she is more mature and grounded in the manga, but I Can not stand how she is worshipped like a godess by everybody, who are willing to give up their hopes and Dreams for her. Old anime Usagi is lazy, childish, and crybaby but these flaws make her more Human and likable to me

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

Yeah I agree with this it honestly put Usagi on Mary Sue levels with how much absolutely everyone reveres her. I also hated that it was portrayed in the manga that all of the Senshi had to give up their hopes and dreams and romantic life for her. That is ridiculous and if Usagi loved her friends she wouldn't want that for them. They could still protect her and have their dreams and romance as well. It seems like the only Senshi that are exempt from this is Haruka and Michiru as they are accomplishing their dreams as a racecar driver in Haruka's case and a artist and musician in Michiru's case and they two are in a committed relationship. I don't see why the other Senshi can have the same happiness and fulfillment as them and still protect Usagi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 pm 
inactive
While I understand what some of you are saying about how Usagi in the manga and Crystal was portrayed as a Mary Sue "worshipped" like a "goddess" in the sense that the other senshis would do anything for her and would even give up their own individual hopes and dreams just to protect her at all costs. BUT I think the problem with that has more to do with the characterization of the other characters rather than Usagi herself. I mean, what the other characters choose to do with their own lives is their own business, Usagi does not "force" her own decisions on others, she does not "force" her friends to do things they don't want to do, she does not "force" her fellow Senshis to give up their hopes and dreams for her and become her human shields, THEY choose to do what they want to do by themselves, THEY make the decisions for themselves, not Usagi. When the other Senshis decide to give up their dreams and hopes and romantic lives for Usagi and merely just become her human shields in Crystal, it was their OWN decisions to do so, Usagi herself never "forced" them to do these things for her. It was their mission and duty as Sailor Senshis to protect and guard the princess, but it was not a duty that Usagi or even Princess Serenity in their past lives had forced upon them. Never once did Usagi try to "force" her fellow Senshis to give up their dreams or hopes or lives or romance for her, THEY made these decisions for themselves. So this problem lies more within how the OTHER characters are written, and NOT how Usagi herself is written.
In the manga and Crystal, Usagi herself has said many times that she just wants to be an ordinary girl and live an ordinary life surrounded by her friends and family, she doesn't want to be treated any differently than her friends, she doesn't want special treatment. But it's the OTHER Senshis who typically puts Usagi on a pedestal, NOT Usagi herself, she just wants to live a normal life and be treated just the same with her friends.

So if people are unhappy with how Usagi is portrayed as a Mary Sue and how her character is put on this pedestal by the other characters in Crystal, then you really need to blame that on the characterization and writing for the OTHER characters rather than Usagi herself. However I feel that some of you are blaming Usagi herself for being portrayed as such a Mary Sue in Crystal, but that is like trying to blame someone else for something that OTHER people decided to do on their OWN accord. I mean, it's the other Senshis OWN decisions to give up their hopes and dreams for Usagi and put her on a pedestal, can you really blame Usagi herself for that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
@Seira Hazuki: I think you do have a point. I agree that the manga didn't give Usagi relationships with the Inners enough development. I will also agree with you that the 90's anime made Usagi a more imperfect character and I love that. You're definetely right about PGSM!Usagi, espiecially with how she was written.

@SailorLinda1: You make valid points as well. For one, I how you said Usagi doesn't force her opinions on the other Sailor Soldiers (excluding Chibi-Usa?) and have them do things they do not want to do. They were the ones who chose to be Usagi's guardians. They're the ones who gave up their dreams, goals, and aspirations for her.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:04 am 
inactive
@SailorLinda1: You make valid points as well. For one, I how you said Usagi doesn't force her opinions on the other Sailor Soldiers (excluding Chibi-Usa?) and have them do things they do not want to do. They were the ones who chose to be Usagi's guardians. They're the ones who gave up their dreams, goals, and aspirations for her.

Well Chibiusa is her future daughter afterall, so Usagi probably feels she has more authority and control over Chibiusa since she is technically her daughter, but she would never force her opinions or decisions on her friends and would never force them to do something they don't want to do, she considers them all as equal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:58 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:
While I understand what some of you are saying about how Usagi in the manga and Crystal was portrayed as a Mary Sue "worshipped" like a "goddess" in the sense that the other senshis would do anything for her and would even give up their own individual hopes and dreams just to protect her at all costs. BUT I think the problem with that has more to do with the characterization of the other characters rather than Usagi herself. I mean, what the other characters choose to do with their own lives is their own business, Usagi does not "force" her own decisions on others, she does not "force" her friends to do things they don't want to do, she does not "force" her fellow Senshis to give up their hopes and dreams for her and become her human shields, THEY choose to do what they want to do by themselves, THEY make the decisions for themselves, not Usagi. When the other Senshis decide to give up their dreams and hopes and romantic lives for Usagi and merely just become her human shields in Crystal, it was their OWN decisions to do so, Usagi herself never "forced" them to do these things for her. It was their mission and duty as Sailor Senshis to protect and guard the princess, but it was not a duty that Usagi or even Princess Serenity in their past lives had forced upon them. Never once did Usagi try to "force" her fellow Senshis to give up their dreams or hopes or lives or romance for her, THEY made these decisions for themselves. So this problem lies more within how the OTHER characters are written, and NOT how Usagi herself is written.
In the manga and Crystal, Usagi herself has said many times that she just wants to be an ordinary girl and live an ordinary life surrounded by her friends and family, she doesn't want to be treated any differently than her friends, she doesn't want special treatment. But it's the OTHER Senshis who typically puts Usagi on a pedestal, NOT Usagi herself, she just wants to live a normal life and be treated just the same with her friends.

So if people are unhappy with how Usagi is portrayed as a Mary Sue and how her character is put on this pedestal by the other characters in Crystal, then you really need to blame that on the characterization and writing for the OTHER characters rather than Usagi herself. However I feel that some of you are blaming Usagi herself for being portrayed as such a Mary Sue in Crystal, but that is like trying to blame someone else for something that OTHER people decided to do on their OWN accord. I mean, it's the other Senshis OWN decisions to give up their hopes and dreams for Usagi and put her on a pedestal, can you really blame Usagi herself for that?

I am not really blaming Usagi in fact I would picture Usagi basically telling her friends not to give up their hopes and dreams and love lives for her and that they can still guard her and have love lives, dreams and hopes etc. I think she even said as much in the 90s series for instance always encouraging them to reach for the stars. Haruka and Michiru have proven this is perfectly possible so it should be possible for the other Senshi as well. I am more so mad at how Naoko Takeuchi wrote the story then I am at Usagi heck Usagi is my favorite character in all versions. So I certainly don't dislike her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:05 am 
inactive
It's good to know you don't blame Usagi.

The reason why I get the impression that you guys blame Crystal's version of Usagi is because some of you have said that you prefer the 90s anime version of Usagi because she wasn't such a Mary Sue character in the 90s anime, but the problem with that argument is it's actually the OTHER characters who treat Usagi like a Mary Sue and put her on a pedestal in Crystal, NOT Usagi herself, so it just sounds like to me that you guys are blaming Crystal's Usagi for the actions and decisions that the OTHER characters had made for themselves. I don't think people should blame or dislike a particular character just because of how OTHER characters treat this particular character. You know what I mean? By saying you guys prefer the 90s anime Usagi just because the other characters did not treat her like such a Mary Sue in the 90s anime, you guys are basically saying that you do not like Crystal's version of Usagi because the OTHER characters treat her like a Mary Sue, when that is NOT Usagi's own fault. Thus it just gave me the impression that you guys are blaming Crystal's Usagi for the actions & decisions of the OTHER characters.

But I'm glad you don't blame Usagi because it would be very unfair to Usagi if people dislike her in Crystal or prefer her 90s anime version just because the OTHER characters treat her like such a Mary Sue in Crystal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:24 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Usagi friends are more of moral support, than true guardians, compared to series like Pretty Cure, inners are useless, and when it come to battle, it is usually Usagi who have to save them, not other way around :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:32 pm 
inactive
kamil88 wrote:
Usagi friends are more of moral support, than true guardians, compared to series like Pretty Cure, inners are useless, and when it come to battle, it is usually Usagi who have to save them, not other way around :)

I totally disagree with you about the Inner Senshis being "useless", they are far from "useless", of course Sailor Moon is always the one who eventually saves the day at the end because she is by far the strongest Senshi and the titular character, BUT there has been so many times when the Inner Senshis had to come and save Sailor Moon when she's in trouble, which is almost ALL the time actually. Every time the Sailor Senshis battle an enemy, usually the battle always starts off with Sailor Moon being in some kind of trouble and she can't use her powers so the Inner Senshis had to come and save her or help her so she could use her powers to deliver the final blows. So Sailor Moon certainly cannot battle her enemies alone, she always has to depend on the Inner senshis for help or need their assistance, hence they are far from "useless", I can't even count how many times the Inner Senshis had to go save Sailor Moon's butt when she was in trouble.

And yes, the Inner Senshis are TRUE soldiers and guardians, they may have weaker powers than Sailor Moon and the Outer Senshis, but there is more to being a Sailor Guardian than just having strong powers, a TRUE Sailor Senshi also possesses the will and desire to fight and save the world and protect the people she/he loves, and all of the Inner Senshis have that strong will to fight to protect and save the world they love so much, if you think about it, even Tuxedo Mask is considered a 'Senshi'.

Last edited by SailorLinda1 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Pretty Cure girls are pretty useless if the Inner Senshi are...lol...but no, seriously. The final two episodes of classic trump's any Pretty Cure mashup...(Well I can't say that since I haven't seen all the seasons of Precure) but the Inner Senshi aren't useless, but they are underpowered a tad bit from themselves in the manga.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:25 pm 
inactive
while I agree that the Inner Senshis are a bit 'under-powered' in Crystal, but they're still far from "useless".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I might be a little harsh, but everytime i remember Crystal, and battle with Metalia, and how inners fall into same trap twice by Death Busters....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Other: 田中れいな押し。

This is quite old but isn't it implied that they don't exactly give up everything? In Parallel Sailor Moon, they do what they want. I know it's an alternate universe/reality, but I always assume that's what happened in Crystal Tokyo. They're supposed to be chaste and dedicated to their jobs, but I always assumed they were still able to do their dream jobs, like Ami volunteering/working at a clinic, or Rei still performing Shinto services for people who ask.