Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Crystal or Classic
Crystal 34%  34%  [ 34 ]
Classic 47%  47%  [ 47 ]
Both equaly 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 98
 Post subject: Re: Crystal Usagi or Classic Usagi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
Classic.

In Crystal there was that awkward moment when Usagi came to Mamoru's place and started to act jealous, because he was so occupied with Chibiusa. Mamoru comforted her and they slept together, which restored her confidence in his feelings.

There was a very similar scene in the classic anime, but Usagi was in her bratty civilian mode. She even flat out asked him whom he loved more - her or Chibiusa. Mamoru didn't answer right away which seemingly upset her. But later Sailor Moon asked him the same question in a dream scene, and his false dream self said that she was the only woman he truly loved and cared about. Which made her leave immediately, because it was NOT the answer she expected from real Mamoru!
This struck me as incredibly generous and selfless. She wants to live happily with Mamoru and enjoy his undivided attention, but she understands there are other people who absolutely need her care, help and protection, and she expects nothing less from him.

Last edited by Xenian flower on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:11 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
If it's a question about faithfulness to manga character, then probably Crystal!Usagi wins here.

But if it's a matter of preference, then 90s!Usagi all the way for me. It's the Usagi I grew up with, one who was my role model, one whom I adore. It's THE Usagi who saved Hotaru and Galaxia. The Usagi who ran up the stairs and jumped down after ChibiUsa. The Usagi who always wanted to be a normal girl, and how important that was to me, how much it meant. The Usagi who forgot her transformation phrase in one of early episodes. This is what I saw as a child, what often was one of the things that gave made me feel better about the world and about myself, it's THE Usagi for me, and in my heart she'll always be THE Usagi, and all others her AUs, even though in objective chronology she came second, not first.

This is why when I first started reading SM manga, I hated manga!Usagi's guts. I slowly came around after many years, and I adore manga!Usagi now, but it's a love born from slow understanding, not love at first sight as with 90s!Usagi.

So, I love Crystal!Usagi, liked her very much since first ep of Crystal, and I guess she's closer to being Naoko's Sailor Moon, and she's adorable, seriously, but 90s!Usagi is and always will be my Sailor Moon. :D :usagi: :grouphug:

Tldr, voting for Classic Usagi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 20 months ago
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:

How does that make Usagi a mary sue? Also Usagi isn't the one who does evrything.The girls and Mamorou do fight, attaced the villions,here there were even abel to destroyed droids on there own. Also rember how Venu,and Mamorou both destroyed thoes twins in act 19.With no help from Sailor Moon,because her rod didn't worked.

I didn't see your reply which is why I'm so late.

It makes her a Mary Sue because she's so powerful that she can kill her enemies in one shot. The enemies that the inners couldn't defeat are just one-shotted by Sailor Moon without any trouble. The inners are pretty much her personal cheerleaders and admire her so much that any dialogue they have always involves Usagi. The inners actually killed some villains in the Dark Kingdom arc of manga. Also, Venus didn't even get to kill one of the twins, Mamoru destroyed both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Classic. She wasn't all about being in love (at least in the beginning) her life revolving around Tuxedo Mask.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
SupremeThunder wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

How does that make Usagi a mary sue? Also Usagi isn't the one who does evrything.The girls and Mamorou do fight, attaced the villions,here there were even abel to destroyed droids on there own. Also rember how Venu,and Mamorou both destroyed thoes twins in act 19.With no help from Sailor Moon,because her rod didn't worked.

I didn't see your reply which is why I'm so late.

It makes her a Mary Sue because she's so powerful that she can kill her enemies in one shot. The enemies that the inners couldn't defeat are just one-shotted by Sailor Moon without any trouble. The inners are pretty much her personal cheerleaders and admire her so much that any dialogue they have always involves Usagi. The inners actually killed some villains in the Dark Kingdom arc of manga. Also, Venus didn't even get to kill one of the twins, Mamoru destroyed both of them.

I know tey did
A mary sue is a characteer,that is perfect she had no flaws,and makes no mistakes.Usagi in Crystal is far from a perfect character,she makes mistakes,has flaws,and is not perfect. She can kill villains in one shot in classic as well. Sure some the inners distract them,but the final blow is always Usagi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 23 months ago
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:
I know tey did
A mary sue is a characteer,that is perfect she had no flaws,and makes no mistakes.Usagi in Crystal is far from a perfect character,she makes mistakes,has flaws,and is not perfect. She can kill villains in one shot in classic as well. Sure some the inners distract them,but the final blow is always Usagi.

Your definition of Mary Sue is far more extreme than the commonly-accepted one - she doesn't have to be flawless, it's just that her flaws don't really get in her way. Usagi is supposedly clumsy, but that never interfered in any significant fashion. Any mistake she makes (like, say, giving the Grail to Mistress 9) turns out okay in the end.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that she's a Mary Sue-ish character, if you ask me, it just means the focus of the series is on her at the cost of developing other characters as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:19 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
With All due honest, as much as I like Crystal and Crystal Usagi, I still Enjoy More Classic Usagi More!

While Crystal Usagi still has most of the elements that I enjoy about Usagi, you don't have with Crystal the same level over the top goofiness that Classic Usagi had as well as the Sweetness in the goofiness and over the top funniest she gave off with the personal.

Classic Usagi in the End is a Timeless Character on Par with any major hero, both in Hero form and Civilian form that has a good, well rounded, true and deep personalty them! Classic Usagi is on par with any comic book counterpart IMO cause of this, that is what makes here a timeless character, hero and personality that is all Unique to her own that stands out!

Classic Usagi IMO is on the same timeless level as Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent!

http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Some Cool:

Iron Man 3 - Can You Dig It!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA6scEvEJEY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:38 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love both! :wow:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:57 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
I'm casting my vote for 90's Usagi/Serena. Sure, she can be a bit selfish, clumsy, whiny, goofy, silly, and an underachiever. But, she is also kind, considerate, gregarious and a good friend. I like her Crystal incarnation as well.

:usagi:

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:32 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Both series of Usagi have good aspects and unbearable aspects. I like Usagi in Crystal being more focus, determined. I found her very unforgiving during when all she can think about his Mamoru during last phase of first arc. Just as when Classic Usagi Can be very unbearable when she is too immature.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Classic Usagi will and always will be the BEST to me. :love:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Now that Crystal has ended I'm sure we can all say who we think if preferable for our own tastes.

For me, Classic still stands strong in my eyes. I think with Classic 90s you got to "know" her more, allowing some to become more intimate with her journey through the series. I think I'll judge Classic Usagi all the way up towards Sailor Moon S, where she was in her prime. (I can also point fingers just a little at the writing.)

Watching the very first episode and seeing this whimp cry like a lost baby cause she needs to be saved, and then comparing this to the desperation to save Hotaru in Sailor Moon S by shouting CRISIS MakeUp is interesting.

As I always state..the episode in Classic where Usagi faces off against Camera youma is an important landmark for me for her ability to fight without and save the others, including Tuxedo Kamen. That episode was really a step up for her in my opinion.

I've yet to see Crystal Usagi get this kind of treatment. They even skipped over SM kick. I also find Crystal Usagi to be enjoyablevas well in her own right too. So I like them both for their intended run.

Is it rather strange that PGSM is not on here. She is a mixture of Classic & Manga Usagi. You know when she goes GOD mode and starts owning everyone in her way. I personally still think PGSM is the best representation of the Inners out of the Classic and Manga...Especially Rei and I love that they have episodes where only one or two Senshi interact and kill the monsters/save the day and fight. They aren't pushovers like in Classic and def Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:06 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
I'm just gonna go with "both," since she acts pretty much the same in every adaptation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:30 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Classic is better in my opinion, not to mention much funnier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:32 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Fabong wrote:

Exactly! Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
HeartWarrior wrote:
Fabong wrote:

Exactly! Agreed.

I second this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:25 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Though both versions aren't much different to me, I went with the underdog.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:30 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 20 months ago
inactive
Crystal/Manga Usagi is a lot less forgiving than classic Usagi and will kill her opponents instead of healing them. Some examples are the Spectre Sisters who get killed by Sailor Moon without a second thought, something which I felt the 90s anime did better with the whole redemption thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:24 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 15 months ago
inactive
Now that it is finished, I suppose we can all come up with another opinion.

Mine still rests with Crystal, they're practically the same IMO, but Crystal Usagi is portrayed more realistically. For example Usagi's jealousy with Mamoru and Chibi-Usa. If I remember correctly, in the 90s anime, Usagi freaked out and started yelling at Mamoru asking him "who do you love more, me or her?". In Crystal, she had a little rant, and then realised how "stupid" she was being and had a little breakdown. That's more realistic to me, especially coming from a 14 year old girl.

Also with people saying Usagi is less forgiving in Crystal;; I agree, but I actually like that from her character. Whenever she would risk her life to redeem random villains I would get so incredibly frustrated with her. Like "Usagi, you could kill your best friend to save this random guy that's been killing civilians!" I think that's just coming from the fact that I'm definitely not as nice as her and if I was in her position, I wouldn't be redeeming these guys :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:05 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 25 months ago
inactive
C-17 wrote:
Classic.
Crystal's Usagi is the prime definition of what an insufferable, lame, poorly written Mary Sue is.
Classic Usagi is flawed, funnier, more likeable, and better portrayed. It is a far richer character, and actually a good one (which can't be said about her Crystal counterpart).

My thoughts exactly. I like Crystal, but Classic will always have a special place in my heart. Usagi was such a do-do and was always doing stupid crap...I still get cracked up watching the old anime. Crystal is super serious most of the time. It has it's moments and sticks closer to the manga than the Classic, in my opinion, but I definitely prefer the old Usagi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:54 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Crystal/Manga.

Never watched the old anime so lol But I'm not here for dumb Usagi every chapter just for the sake of make us laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I hate stupid and clumsy girls most, so I vote for Manga/Crystal Usagi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Both versions.

Classic Usagi because she's funny and adds a lot of comedy to the show. She's the Usagi I grew up with. Although she remains immature during the entire 5 seasons (e.g. Mamoru gives her a ring in Stars, and she seems clueless that he proposed to her), she's funny. By the time that Stars ends, Usagi essentially still is a clumsy girl, and I find that charming. It's a reminder that we can be clumsy and silly and still be a super hero and save the planet.

Crystal Usagi because she's more serious, focused, and mature. She prevents Mamoru from kissing her when she's angry, has sex (okay, the scene wasn't as graphic as it could have been, but it's there), and rejects living as a Queen after the moon kingdom is restored. She is a kid and acts like a kid in the first episodes of Crystal, but by the time that the Black Moon arc begins it's clear that Usagi has become a woman, and is no longer a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 21 months ago
inactive
I Like the classic so much cuter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:55 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:
Both versions.

Classic Usagi because she's funny and adds a lot of comedy to the show. She's the Usagi I grew up with. Although she remains immature during the entire 5 seasons (e.g. Mamoru gives her a ring in Stars, and she seems clueless that he proposed to her), she's funny. By the time that Stars ends, Usagi essentially still is a clumsy girl, and I find that charming. It's a reminder that we can be clumsy and silly and still be a super hero and save the planet.

Crystal Usagi because she's more serious, focused, and mature. She prevents Mamoru from kissing her when she's angry, has sex (okay, the scene wasn't as graphic as it could have been, but it's there), and rejects living as a Queen after the moon kingdom is restored. She is a kid and acts like a kid in the first episodes of Crystal, but by the time that the Black Moon arc begins it's clear that Usagi has become a woman, and is no longer a kid.

Clow, I agree with your statement. 90's Usagi is a very charming and funny character. Crystal Usagi is okay, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:03 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Now that Crystal has ended I'm sure we can all say who we think if preferable for our own tastes.

For me, Classic still stands strong in my eyes. I think with Classic 90s you got to "know" her more, allowing some to become more intimate with her journey through the series. I think I'll judge Classic Usagi all the way up towards Sailor Moon S, where she was in her prime. (I can also point fingers just a little at the writing.) Watching the very first episode and seeing this whimp cry like a lost baby cause she needs to be saved, and then comparing this to the desperation to save Hotaru in Sailor Moon S by shouting CRISIS MakeUp is interesting.

As I always state..the episode in Classic where Usagi faces off against Camera youma is an important landmark for me for her ability to fight without and save the others, including Tuxedo Kamen. That episode was really a step up for her in my opinion.

I've yet to see Crystal Usagi get this kind of treatment. They even skipped over SM kick. I also find Crystal Usagi to be enjoyablevas well in her own right too. So I like them both for their intended run.

That's true, in the 90's anime, you got to know Usagi more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:11 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
Classic is the way for me. One reason why is how we flushed out the characters back then. Some of them developed interesting characteristics and personalities. Not only that, but how Usagi met them. Makoto for example. She was known to be the fighter type, so it was fitting that Usagi would meet her after Makoto beat up some gangsters. Now, they soften and change the characters a bit.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd rank it as:

1) PGSM!Usagi
2) New Musicals!Usagi
3) Classic!Usagi
4) Manga!Usagi
5) Crystal!Usagi (Speaking of Season 1 only, as she's virtually the same as the manga version in Season 2 and 3.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:35 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yes. PGSM :usagi: is the best. :googly:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
Classic Usagi of course she was just such a loveable character it was impossible to hate her, her Crystal counterpart was kinda bland to me she just wasn't as fun a character as she was in the 90s anime

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next