Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Crystal Official Art
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joaco95 wrote:
You need glasses.

Well, actually:

I sampled a screenshot from Crystal's last episode, so it's the most recent on-screen depiction of the character. The image comes directly from the show itself, and I used a daylight scene for reference, just to make sure the color wasn't affected by light effects,etc.
That is literally Rei's hair, no edition, no filters, straight out of an actual episode. Now, if you pay attention to color map, you'll see how the color is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer to pure grey, than in is to pure black or pure purple.
Therefore: technically wise: it is an actual shade of GREY, and not purple, nor black.

Rica-Chicchi wrote:
Well, w/e color one'd like to call it, it's at least already pretty clear that C-17 doesn't like it. lol

Is not that I don't like the color as much as I don't like the way in looks on Rei .
Is not simply an issue with Rei's hair color anyways: Crystal tends to replace black with grey in most cases, and it simply looks bad IMO. I get it it's a girls' show, and they want everything to look cute, and soft and bright.
But black is not a color you can simply get rid of, it adds weight, visually-wise. So avoiding it is not a good idea.
And ultimately, in Rei's case, she just looks better with black hair.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What about grayish purple? :P

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:48 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
C-17 wrote:
Rica-Chicchi wrote:
Well, w/e color one'd like to call it, it's at least already pretty clear that C-17 doesn't like it. lol

Is not that I don't like the color as much as I don't like the way in looks on Rei .
Is not simply an issue with Rei's hair color anyways: Crystal tends to replace black with grey in most cases, and it simply looks bad IMO. I get it it's a girls' show, and they want everything to look cute, and soft and bright.
But black is not a color you can simply get rid of, it adds weight, visually-wise. So avoiding it is not a good idea.
And ultimately, in Rei's case, she just looks better with black hair.

That's actually what I meant/implied here, but I didn't make it explicit - should've said that more clearly. lol

Seira Hazuki wrote:

Was gonna say that. P-:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:00 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Seira Hazuki wrote:

The composition of her current hair color literally has more grey than it has purple, if anything, it's a purple-ish grey. I actually sampled the Shittennous' grey uniforms from Classic as well, and they are about the same degree of grey as Rei's current hair (only difference it's the Shitennous' oufits have a blue hue instead of violet).
In any case, it should be black. Not grey, nor purple.

There you can see her latest design with purple, black and her current grey hair. Black not only stands out the most, but also matches her cold, distant personality better.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I disagree. While I share your hatred for her terrible, washed-out gray hair color, I think her violet hair color from most of Naoko's color artwork stands out a lot more and suits her a lot better than the black hair. The black hair with purple highlights was fine for the 90s anime and it's fine for live action where a full-on violet wig might look garish, but for Crystal and any future 2D adaptations, I'd much rather Mars have violet hair.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I disagree. While I share your hatred for her terrible, washed-out gray hair color, I think her violet hair color from most of Naoko's color artwork stands out a lot more and suits her a lot better than the black hair. The black hair with purple highlights was fine for the 90s anime and it's fine for live action where a full-on violet wig might look garish, but for Crystal and any future 2D adaptations, I'd much rather Mars have violet hair.

Exactly. Rei's hair is violet in manga. Rei is violet whereas Hotaru is black!
I also think that Crystal managed to keep the right colors of manga(except For Haruka). Not just Rei's violet hair but also Makoto brown-reddish hair (whereas in 90's anime it was plain brown).
The problem is that colors are all washed out in SEASON 3!!!! (so Rei's hair looks more grey than dark violet, which is the color of season 1-2). Anyway, I would like a more brilliant violet for Rei in season 4 (the way I would like Platinum blond For Haruka).

Attachments:
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_170523_01_01.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_170523_01_01.jpg [ 133.46 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_oh8wxz3U771uzvpjpo1_500.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_oh8wxz3U771uzvpjpo1_500.jpg [ 132.34 KiB | Viewed 3614 times ]
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_o7cqi51SrK1v63y81o1_400.png
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_o7cqi51SrK1v63y81o1_400.png [ 338.75 KiB | Viewed 3620 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
blu notte wrote:
Exactly. Rei's hair is violet in manga.

I don't think her official hair color in the manga is purple.

Not only Naoko's vision for the character was to be black-haired from the beginning, as seen in the concept art images, but Mars was clearly black-haired as well in early color-depictions of the final design:

And ultimately, and most importantly: her hair is black in the manga itself, as seen in the image above.
As for the artbook illustrations, and other images in which she looks purple-haired: they are, indeed, illustrative and are not meant to be interpreted literally, in my opinion.
In art, it is very common for authors to replace black with either violet or blue, and this is not only an aesthetic choice, but it is sometimes related to characterization.
Although it is true that Naoko has made several illustrations with Rei having purple hair, I'd say we, as an audience, are meant to interpret that as a stylized black.
Which is the reason why all Sailor Moon adaptations depict Rei's hair as black: the 90's series, the live action show, the musicals, and actually also Crystal. Because even though Rei's current hair color is painfully grey, it is important to remember that grey is Crystal's default shade for black.
In Crystal, Mamoru's hair is also grey, but it is meant to represent black. In the same way, it's pretty clear that Rei's Crystal hair color is meant to be seen as a stylized, "pastel black", rather than literally grey.

In the above image you can see Rei's current grey hair, which is probably meant to be interpreted as black, for Crystal's standards, but fails to represent the character's tone and nature. At least to me.
I also included what I assume is the color some of you think should be Rei's Crystal hair: a very intense, mildly dark purple. Personally, I think purple hair looks tacky, and very vulgar. I also think it is not a faithful representation of the character's actual hair color in the manga, as seen in the above examples.
And ultimately, what I believe would be the closest depiction of her manga version: a stylized black, with an intense violet hue to it.
Which is not the color I'd prefer, since like I said, I think total black hair looks more sophisticated and refined than any possible shade of purple. But the third option would be closest to what I believe is her official hair color in the manga.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The purples you're using are too blue, and are really more indigo than purple. Again, what I want is something more violet:

Imagescreenshot windows

Naoko has never been terribly consistent with how she depicts her characters, both within the manga and within her color illustrations. Hair color, hair style, eye color, skin tone, and costume details change from image to image.

Early on, yes, Rei/Mars had black hair. But she also had black bows. When Naoko changed them to purple, Rei's/Mars's hair also became more of a bluish purple color. Occasionally her hair would be more violet, which is the color I prefer. (In the current musicals, Mars's wig is black with a violet wash/cast to it.)

Could that purple/violet color be meant to represent black? Who knows? Hotaru has black hair and it's never really stylized with other colors. Same for Mamoru for the most part, though like Rei he is sometimes drawn with more bluish or more violet hair. What about Ami? Couldn't her dark blue hair equally be meant to represent black? Yet her hair is still always colored blue (sometimes light, sometimes darker). Even if Mars is "meant" to "literally" have black hair, that's not a reason to forego the stylized violet or purple.

Crystal needs to get rid of its washed out colors. I want violet haired Mars. I want platinum blonde Uranus. I want Pluto to have her dark yellow-green hair, not that dark teal hair she has now. I don't dislike Jupiter's auburn hair (I like it a lot more than her dull brown hair in the 90s anime) but I wish it were more orange like in some of Naoko's more recent art (but again, just a personal desire, not a criticism on Crystal).

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
C-17 I appreciate your research and your opinion and I respect it. I do agree its washed out a bit but I don't find the colour to be grey.

We can all just appreciate how Rei's hair in the manga (parted on the side) just fits her so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:17 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
MementoNepenthe wrote:
What about Ami?

I was actually going to mention Ami's case in my previous comment, and the only reason why I didn't so, is because Naoko has been so inconsistent regarding that character's hair color, I myself don't have a clear opinion on what her "official" hair color is, in the manga.
For instance:

That is black. And any character designer would interpret Ami to be black-haired based on those images, I can tell you that much.
However:

Her concept images don't really leave much space for interpretation: the author clearly wanted the character to be blue-haired, from the start.
What I personally believe is that, Naoko had second thoughts about Ami's hair, and ultimately went for black with the final design. Let's remember that, originally, all characters had different hair colors: Usagi's hair was pink, Rei's black, Ami's blue, Minako's blonde and Makoto's green.
In any case, in the final designs for the manga, she got rid of all fantasy colors, and gave Usagi, Ami and Makoto, blonde, black and red hair, respectively. All "real life" hair colors.
Keep in mind she was essentially trying to make a successful product , she might have thought pink, blue and green were too over the top, and went for more "relatable" colors.
And probably, as both the manga and the series received a positive response, she felt more confident about her original designs, and changed Ami's hair back to actual blue (she also used pink for -chibi- Usagi as well later on).
In any case, fact remains that, in the manga, Naoko introduced Ami as a dark-haired character to the audience, and, illustrations aside, it was consistently black in the manga pages.
Therefore, it should be seen as, at the very least, dark-blue, rather than plain blue, as it currently is in Crystal. So, although Ami's case is considerably different to Rei's, I also think her current hair color in Crystal is not a faithful adaptation of her manga counterpart either.

I would have used something like the second image for Ami.
As a character designer, if you are going to adapt a pre-existing character, you have to consider the source material.
If Rei was originally introduced to the audience as black haired, and was consistently depicted as black-haired within the manga itself, then you have to make her black-haired when adapting it to television as well.
Ami was introduced as, and remained a dark-haired character in the manga, regardless of the author originally conceiving her as light-haired. So if Crystal is meant to be accurate to the manga, a light-blue or plain-blue hair would not be a faithful adaptation. As much as either purple or violet wouldn't be correct for Rei either.
Now, if Crystal was a re-imagining of the story, only vaguely based on the original story, like the 90's series, I wouldn't mind Rei having violet hair, or Ami being sky blue.
But if it's meant to be a faithful manga adaptation, Rei's hair should be black, and Ami's hair should be dark blue, since that's how they were introduced to the audience, originally.

DREWdesu wrote:
I don't find the colour to be grey

It is tho :P . But I agree, Rei's hair in the manga is very beautiful.
Not gonna continue the discussion about hair colors because it's near off-topic at this point.
On topic: the new pillows look cute, I like Makoto and Usagi's designs the most.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:39 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Just gonna keep saying I don't see the gray 'cause I actually love C-17 research for it lmao

At least you're not a JoJo fan or you would have an awful OCD with all the different colors they use in all the different media :P

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:18 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Its purple to me, I've always seen it as a dark purple that's coded as black.

But if we really want to talk about discrepancies, lets bring out how Neo Queen Serenity's hair went from white in episode one of season 3 to blonde ...creating a continuity snarl.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
I apologize if the discussion has ended, but I gotta chime in:

I can't possibly see how anyone could look at colored pictures of Rei and Ami from the manga (not the prototypes but using the final design) and think that they have black hair.

Ami's hair color is clearly a very dark navy in those pictures, and the presence of the violet/purple in Rei's hair clearly shows that the hair color is not meant to be black. If it's black, then it would not gleam violet/purple, nor would Ami's hair appear to be dark blue.

Rei's hair color is meant to be an extremely dark shade of violet/purple that could be mistaken for black in the dark.

It's definitely too light in Crystal, but Crystal is definitely doing its own thing in regards to its color palette.

Furthermore, you really can't use images from the manga itself to justify this because all characters with very dark hair colors are drawn with black hair since...you know...manga is mostly a black-and-white medium.

I'm not denying that Ami and Rei's hair colors are very close to black, but to say that they're meant to be black is taking it a step too far. Takeuchi was not always consistent in how she depicted colors, but the evidence is clear.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:53 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Ami and Rei hair are not black. You can not use the manga pages as an example.( For corlor) Because their colors are black and white.It's almost impossible to know what the colors are supposed to be unless you look at a color image or illustration. As for the design for season 4 . I think its best for us not to get our hopes us, and base the designs will be on the promo images. Because of their still promoting season 3 .They probably haven't even started producing season 4 nonetheless have design

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
they re used these old awful artwork for chocola BB ad

Attachments:
main (1).png
main (1).png [ 527.69 KiB | Viewed 2219 times ]

Last edited by Joaco95 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 pm 
Luna
Luna
t seems like they only bothered to keep the redrawn Usagi and kept the other senshi in their hideous form lol

Last edited by SILVER on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
imaginationgirl wrote:
I think its best for us not to get our hopes us, and base the designs will be on the promo images. Because of their still promoting season 3 .They probably haven't even started producing season 4 nonetheless have design

You're right, imaginationgirl.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 am 
Luna
Luna
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
I think its best for us not to get our hopes us, and base the designs will be on the promo images. Because of their still promoting season 3 .They probably haven't even started producing season 4 nonetheless have design

You're right, imaginationgirl.

So what? Its still fun to speculate and talk about them

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Why does it feel like Crystal is getting more promo while it's off the air?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
They probably need the merchandise funding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If only this included another video game...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Neon Genesis wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:
They probably need the merchandise funding.

So they'll start working on S4 once their funding target is met, hence it's not even a fixed date. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Joaco95 wrote:

Mercury and Venus look a fool!!

They should make some bottles with the Senshi on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 am 
Luna
Luna
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Joaco95 wrote:

Mercury and Venus look a fool!!

They should make some bottles with the Senshi on them.

Rei looks so weird too! Something in her face reminds me of the way the Canadians are depicted in South Park xD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Joaco95 wrote:

I disagree with you on Chibi-Usa, she looks soo much cuter in this art style. It suits her actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Oh, are we talking trash about the S3 style again?

Why not just say something like "oh no, they're using the style I hate again?" You do know that there are people who do like it and reading stuff like "this art is so stupid Rei looks like a South Park Canadian!" is kinda unnecessary in a subforum that's supposed to be light on anti-Crystal posting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 pm 
Luna
Luna
^ I love Crystal, but I'm going to be vocal about not liking that particular style because we're talking about that style in comparison to the one for recent merch. If its that big an issue, just PM a mod. I've done it before and it does help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 am 
Stella
Stella
Honestly I like Rei with black hair more it makes her more regal and like a strong Asian beauty where as the Violet color is just meh. I do think that violet would be a good hair color for Rei jr. aka Rei's daughter in Parallel Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:20 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Seen2 wrote:
Oh, are we talking trash about the S3 style again?

we are talking trash because the artwork it's just awful, just like people were talking trash when some of the blu ray covers were awful.

We are NOT going to praise something that looks bad, yeah, maybe saying it looks like south park it's too much, but where is the lie tho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Honestly I like Rei with black hair more it makes her more regal and like a strong Asian beauty where as the Violet color is just meh. I do think that violet would be a good hair color for Rei jr. aka Rei's daughter in Parallel Sailor Moon.

I like Rei black hair, too. Although, it looks violet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next