Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: The Crystal English Dub thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Since there is a moon lite party tomorrow,and premiering two episodes of CrystalEnglish dubbed. And premiering the rest at the weeks to come.So I think its a good idea,to make this thread now.

Post subject: Re: The Crystal English Dub thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
I'm basically waiting for the episodes to pop up on hulu.
It's nice to have the option, as not everyone enjoys reading subtitles as I do. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:14 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Michiru91 wrote:
I'm basically waiting for the episodes to pop up on hulu.
It's nice to have the option, as not everyone enjoys reading subtitles as I do. :)

Funny you should mention that... Both Hulu and Neon Alley has a two minute Dub preview clip on their sites. Go ahead and check it out. :happy:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
Yay!

I wonder how the dub will feel. I watched terrible 90s anime episodes to hear the characters and I liked the VAs (Kunzite, UNFF).

I'm excited :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Now we wait, until they put the episodes online. The voices I can't wait to hear the most, are Mamoru ,Luna, and Ami 's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:57 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This comes out the same day as Digimon Twi, this is a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:09 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They're up now.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/871682
http://www.hulu.com/watch/871680

And so is the stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIgAQpSK-Y

EDIT:

Ugh, they're using the creditless versions of the OP & ED and adding their own English credits.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUTRrAMVAAAjF8u.jpg:orig

This wouldn't bother me too much but we know for a fact that Black Moon's opening never got a creditless version in Japan so I'm worried about how they'll handle that one.

Also the sponsors card are kept intact:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUTSAunUAAAln8n.jpg:orig

Also as expected, they edited the title cards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUTSew_VAAAQ81F.jpg:orig

Probably a good thing for when we...I mean the rest of you get to Act 12 right?

No way am I watching that again.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:23 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thoughts
- The opening credits are in English. Wow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:34 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SnowWolf wrote:
Thoughts
- The opening credits are in English. Wow

I was hoping that meant Moon Pride would be dubbed, you got my hopes up! :lol: :tongue:

-

Just finished watching Act 1. Compared to the redub of Classic episode 1, it felt a lot more vibrant. The actors actually sounded alive and present and were acting, not just giving flat line readings. It was a lot more enjoyable. It also kind of gave me a "Totally Spies!" vibe. That said, I also felt it was a bit generic, which is how I feel about most modern anime dubs.

Some general thoughts (in no particular order):
-Shingo's voice is still completely wrong.
-I still don't like Michelle Ruff as Luna. (Her "kick the monster's butt" line was particularly awkward.)
-Stephanie...I didn't hate her performance, but she sounded a little too young to me, like she was playing a nine year old instead of a teenager. I don't know, I just wasn't 100% sold.
-Naru was okay, but again, didn't /love/ it.
-Same with Mamoru.
-Umino's voice I actually loved here (did not like it at all for the Classic redub) but I'm still grumbly about the dub using "otaku." :| -Morga's voice was terrible. Also, is it just me, or did anyone else find her "Who the hell are you?" line jarring? Like, the whole episode had such a young, kid's cartoon vibe to it, that hearing a character suddenly swear felt really out of place.
-Jadeite sounded too old here. Like, his voice worked perfectly for the original anime, but Crystal!Jadeite is so much younger looking, that the voice and character design didn't really match for me. I also feel like he developed a weird accent at the end?
-Ths Viz cast still has not learned how to pronounce Japanese names correctly or naturally.

Anyway, apart from those complaints, and a handful of awkward moments, I overall liked it. I'd rate it 3.5 brooches out of 5.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Finished watching as well.

I'll say that I'd feel less embarrassed watching this with friends cause the performances didn't annoy the hell out of me.
It felt less forced and over the top, and it was just a huge improvement.

Crystal is definitely a more mature story and aimed towards teens and adults. Hence it's more serious, and less wacky. And a toned down Stephanie Shea is what I need at the moment.

The animation has been polished vastly. Crystal really is a beautiful looking show, though needed to be fixed. I'm no expert, though it's safe to assume most of the errors are corrected.

I'd give it a four out of five

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:41 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Finished watching Act 2.

-Kate Higgins: In the Classic redub, I found her voice/performance to be painfully bland and almost indistinguishable from Rei and Luna. Whether that will be a problem in upcoming episodes remains to be seen, but at least in this episode, I actually really enjoyed her performance. She gave Ami the perfect mix of shy, sweet, and cute.
-That stoner/surfer bro voiced student at the beginning :lol:
-"JADE-ite." :| :| :| You can say that that pronunciation is "correct" all you want, it still sounds stupid.
-"Monster" - Didn't notice if they used that term in the last episode, but I find it odd that they're using it when they used "youma" in the subs and clearly don't object to using Japanese terms. (Not that I want them to use "youma," - I don't really care either way - just making an observation.)
-"Who the hell are you?" "What the hell?" So I guess the monsters swearing is going to be a thing :roll:

Overall I enjoyed this episode (terrible, terrible, terrible animation aside). HOWEVER, this bit REALLY annoyed me:

Quote:
Mamoru: Your cat was talking to you just now, wasn't it?
Usagi: No, it wasn't!

Okay, I can accept that Mamoru is the kind of jerkface who refers to animals as "it"s, but it makes absolutely NO sense on ANY level for USAGI to refer to Luna as "it." :angry: :angry: :angry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:43 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It is refreashing to hear such great clear audio, compared to the Classics dub, it is like night and day.

For some reason, it is weird hearing the same cast do Crystal as the original, with the original Japanese except for Sailor Moon herself, it was an all new cast, so I could buy it as a seperate alternative universe, but with the English dub it is more of a trip, and I am not saying that in a bad way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:44 am 
Luna
Luna
Aww, Ami sounds so sweet! I was reminded why I like her so much. She's just so misunderstood! Aawwww, Ami chan ♡♡♡

Last edited by SILVER on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:45 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I liked both episodes, there both pretty good. I liked mostly everyone's performance here except for Shingo’s. : sick: Seriously would it kill them to make his sound more youthful?But in contrast Mamoru ,and Ami's are way better here. In conclusion the Crystal Dub is mostly faithful to the script, which is a relief for me. Despite the animation errors, and some cringe lines. The Crystal dub is still a nice faithful dub. :) :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:14 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Episode 1 -

Usagi wishing that she was a princess so she wouldn't have to go to school anymore is changed to Usagi making a promise to herself that someday she'll become a princess and never have to go to school again.

They kept the mentioning of Ms. Haruna's nickname of Haruda"

The dub has Usagi refer to Umino as an "otaku"

Umino thinking of tests as being like "games" ("geemu") to him changed to his thinking of them as being like "child's play".

Mamoru noting that the jewelry store is a very big one is slightly changed to being the more specific noting of it being the biggest jewelry store he's seen yet.

"Motoki-oniisan" is, of course, changed to just "Motoki"

Ikuko scolding Usagi on the bad grade by telling her not to come home if she gets such low grades on tests is changed to her saying "How dare you fail again! Go outside and think about what you've done!"

Shingo still has his grown man voice.

"Moon Prism Power Make Up!" is spoken here far better than it was ever spoken in the Viz redub of the 90's anime. And even has an echo effect to it.

Like in the 90's anime redub, "Youma" is dubbed as "Monster". At least is isn't dubbed as "Evil" like in the subs.

Luna's telling Sailor Moon that she has to defeat the Youma is dubbed as "Kick that monster's butt!"

The frisbee-like "Moon Tiara Boomerang" attack keeps its name.

Episode 2 -

Unlike the Viz redub of the 90's anime, Ami's rumored IQ of 300 is kept.

Jadeite referring to himself as one of the Dark Kingdom's Shitennou is omitted, with instead his assuring Beryl of his plan succeeding having been lengthened.

Usagi's and Luna's use of "Youma" is dubbed as "enemy".

"Nakama" is changed to refer specifically to "the other Guardians" rather than just "allies", making Usagi's bringing up Tuxedo Mask in the dub a little weird since he's not a Sailor Guardian.

Luna's vague hinting at her having suspicions of someone being a new ally is changed to her making a certain declaration that neither Tuxedo Mask nor Sailor V is the next Sailor Guardian, for Luna already knows for sure that it is someone else.

As Luna turns her head away from Usagi, the dub has her say "Sorry" when she said nothing in the original.

Usagi calling Ami awesome for beating the highest score is changed to her saying that Ami beat the game and got the highest score ever.

After Usagi grabs Luna and and runs off from Mamoru, Luna meows as Usagi takes off when Luna was silent in the original.

"Mercury Power Make Up!" is not spoken very well in this dub.

The next-episode preview refers to the bus as the "Demon Bus".

To conclude, the Youma in this dub sure do like to say H-E-double hockey sticks at least once per episode.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:24 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Watched both episodes, and really enjoyed them. I hadn't seen Episode 1 since it premiered in July 2014, and I had never seen Episode 2 at all, or any of the subsequent episodes. I've been waiting for them to come out in English with the fixed animation before watching. Overall, I enjoyed them. This is an interesting, fresh take on the series, though I do prefer the style and development of the original series a lot more. It doesn't take itself as seriously, and it's more fun. Plus it's got much better character development. Crystal is very stylish (reminds me of Utena), but it's a bit dry and flat in comparison, much like the manga it's based on. Yes, I do believe the original Sailor Moon anime was an improvement on the manga in many ways.

The voice acting was top notch as usual. Everyone sounds pretty much the same as in the classic series, but I did notice that for Ami, Kate Higgins almost sounded like the original actress, Karen Bernstein, with her higher voice and more enunciated speaking tone.

It's an interesting experience to watch the show in English because it's being recorded at the exact same time as the original series with the same actors, so they're coming in with a lot of experience in their roles. In Japanese, it's a completely different cast (sans Usagi), so I'm sure it has a different sound from the original series. At this point with the new cast, now that I'm hearing them in two different interpretations of the characters, they pretty much ARE the characters for me now. For instance, I can't imagine anyone other than Stephanie Sheh as Usagi, and I've been a fan of the show long before she was cast in the role.

But yeah, Shingo's the only kinda weak point if I had to pick one. Nic's voice worked a LOT better in the more campy/exaggerated original series than it does in Crystal. It's not his fault though. This was just more of a miscast.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's Julie Ann Taylor ("Cricket Brown") voicing Morga both in the original series and Crystal.

I'm glad they're at least LISTING the voice actors this time, so we have a (slightly) better idea who's in the cast, though I have a feeling we'll be hearing some voices not listed (they list 21). This style of crediting is normal for Studiopolis, unfortunately. It's out-of-date since almost all shows are credited matching the voice actor with their character. The only name listed on the credits that I'm not sure about is Erin Fitzgerald. Does she voice one of Naru's friends?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
The words "hell" and "☹" have been used since the 90s redub, so I'm not surprised they're used here. (especially with Crystal being the "more mature" series) I understand why they might bother some, but personally they're such minor curses they don't really phase me.

As for the dub itself, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I think I'm enjoying Crystal even more dubbed. I thought the 90s redub had a nice enough start, but out of the two Crystal certainly has the stronger start. All that experience from the 90s anime has certainly paid off. And I'm liking the minor differences in the performances too. I figured characters like Mars would sound a bit different here, but I wasn't expecting even characters like Ami to have some differences as well. Makes me even more eager to hear the rest of the performances here.

Out of the two episodes, I think 2 was the best one dub-wise. ^_^ And it should continue to get better from here.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The only name listed on the credits that I'm not sure about is Erin Fitzgerald. Does she voice one of Naru's friends?

On her website's credit list, she confirms she voiced the ghost Bride in episode 5, and Zoisite's female disguise for episode 6. Since the credits are listing people who haven't shown up yet, maybe she's listed for those episodes instead?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:47 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Ah okay! Still wish they would just do regular credits though...

And I think it's cool if "Who the hell are you?!" becomes something of a catch-phrase for the monsters-of-the-day whenever Sailor Moon appears.

Also, I really like the little cameos the new Sailor Scouts make at the end of the episodes prior to their appearances!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So they aren't going to use the blue-ray animation for the online release

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Ami Mizuno wrote:

They did use the BR version though?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Is it me or do the dub voices sounds way better in Crystal than they ever did in the re dub? Some them sound more natural here,and they sound like their talking.
As for Shingo's his voice actually makes me longed to hear Sammy's voice again. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:17 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
SnowWolf wrote:
I was hoping that meant Moon Pride would be dubbed, you got my hopes up! :lol: :tongue:

I'm kinda glad that didn't happen :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
Is it me or do the dub voices sounds way better in Crystal than they ever did in the re dub? Some them sound more natural here,and they sound like their talking.
As for Shingo's his voice actually makes me longed to hear Sammy's voice again. :lol:

I'm thinking this is due because they more experience in playing their characters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:20 am 
Luna
Luna
Am I one of the few unbothered by Shingo's man voice?
It seemed worse in the 90s redub, but here it sounds a bit higher to me.
It might just be that the cast is much better here in Crystal so it's not so jarring, but I definitely hear an improvement with him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:51 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Shingo was actually one voice I thought I heard a bit of a difference in. It has been a while since I heard him so I might be wrong, but it sounded like he tried to pitch his voice a bit higher or something.

The fact that everyone is doing so good in Crystal just makes me even more excited for Sailor Moon S. There's been improvement with every boxset of the 90s redub too, so the dubbing should be pretty solid from now on in both shows.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Still wish they would just do regular credits though...

I do too! It's weird that they can translate the Japanese castlist fine (with the actors and who they played), yet only give the dub VA names rather than the characters. Guess they didn't feel like doing it for every episode?

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also, I really like the little cameos the new Sailor Scouts make at the end of the episodes prior to their appearances!

That's one thing I really like about Crystal too. The hindsight of knowing what happens next allows them to foreshadow things a bit better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Quote:

They used BR version on 1st and 2nd EP in dub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
This is the quality I was expecting for the redub. The VAs were great (though Sheh is still horrible shouting henshin/attack phrases) and the audio sounded clear and crisp.

I wasn't planning on rewatching Crystal but I'm so happy with it I might as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:03 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
NJ_ wrote:
This wouldn't bother me too much but we know for a fact that Black Moon's opening never got a creditless version in Japan so I'm worried about how they'll handle that one.

Seeing as how it's animation they just produced this year, I'm sure they still have the creditless version, which Viz could easily ask for.

Actually, if you look in the CGI bit right before the logo, Usagi has her Crystal Star Compact instead of the first brooch. It's really weird.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:45 am 
Planeta
Planeta
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
I do too! It's weird that they can translate the Japanese castlist fine (with the actors and who they played), yet only give the dub VA names rather than the characters. Guess they didn't feel like doing it for every episode?

It's a very old way of doing things. English anime credits used to traditionally be formatted with directly translating the Japanese credits (including detailed seiyu listings), followed by the English production staff, and an alphabetical list of the English voices. Pioneer did just that for their S/SuperS releases, but that was back before voice actors were nearly as recognized for their work. Studiopolis is literally the ONLY anime dubbing studio that hasn't switched over from that old crediting format.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Seen wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Seeing as how it's animation they just produced this year, I'm sure they still have the creditless version, which Viz could easily ask for.

Actually, if you look in the CGI bit right before the logo, Usagi has her Crystal Star Compact instead of the first brooch. It's really weird.

Good eye, just noticed it. Here's the creditless version from the Blu-ray for comparison.

And here's from the Viz dub video.

It seems that France also got that version so it looks like Toei's responsible for this.

Unfortunately this also confirms that we might not get the rest of Black Moon's opening at all because apparently it wasn't changed for the French dub of the Black Moon episodes that are currently airing over there.

Meanwhile Portugal still uses the version with Japanese credits & are using all of Black Moon's opening now (as seen yesterday with Act 15).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next