Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: The Crystal English Dub thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
AluminumSiren wrote:
After watching the dub for Crystal 3, it's become pretty clear to me they put WAY more effort into Crystal's overall dub compared to the 90's dub. It's likely that because Crystal is such a short series they have a lot more time to polish up the lines. I have a feeling that the 90's dub is all done in one take, and that might be a result from it being such a long series that they just have to rush out the dub for it.

I'll admit, I was pretty bored with the new S dub. But watching Crystal 3, everyone's voices are WAY more polished. The one I noticed the most was Sailor Saturn. No longer does her voice actress sound like she's reading straight off a script. Pretty much all the Death Busters sound great this time around. Stephanie Sheh still struggles with attack/transformation calls but that's nothing new, but she sounds a lot less nasally in this dub overall. The Crystal 3 dub is very watchable, imo!
It may also have to do with the fact that Crystal's dub has a different voice director from that of the 90's anime redub.

Anyway,

Episode 31 -

"Silver Millennium" is referred to as such without a "the", like how it was in Crystal's first season dub and in the first season redub of the 90's anime, but unlike the dub of "Make Up! Sailor Senshi", in which Usagi did refer to it as "the Silver Millennium".

The "god of destruction" is once again referred to in this episode.

Haruka refers to Mamoru as "the prince"

When Chibiusa meets up with the others at Crown and finds out that Mamoru isn't there with them, she expresses her disappointment with a rather unnaturally-sounding "Darn" that could have more naturally been replaced with an "Aww" or a "Man". Hearing Chibiusa say "Darn" the way she did in that scene just sounded weird and awkward, as it didn't seem like a "Kuso!" or "Chikusho!" moment, but more like a "Mou" moment.

Rei asks Chibiusa if her pottery sculpture is supposed to be some sort of coffee mug.

At Mamoru's apartment, Chibiusa asks Usagi if she might have "...cheat[ed] on him"

Yui Bido (Viluy) seems to have a might, very subtle Southern Belle/Tennessee accent in this here dub, I do declare. :tongue:

The Death Busters' home is dubbed as the "Tau Star System"

Viluy's name is not spoken as "Vee-lu-ee", but instead as "VILL-ooee", with very little emphasis put in the "u" part of her name.

Setsuna's name is spoken perfectly.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:27 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
From what I've heard from an interview with Deborah Crane on the Love and Justice podcast, it sounds like the Crystal dub was under tighter supervision from Toei than the 90s anime dub, so I don't know if that made any difference to the quality. I also think that since they were using the same cast for both series, I think they probably made their casting decisions with Crystal in mind more than the 90s anime. Like Cristina Vee definitely seems to fit Rei's persona in Crystal more than she does 90s Rei.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doesn't the Crystal dub have a different script writer than that 90s redub, too?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:10 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Episode 32 -

Another awkward instance of "Darn", this time from Reika.

Wait, when Motoki mentions Makoto, Reika asks him who this "Mako" is. But, didn't Reika meet Makoto (and the others) way back in Crystal season 1?

Reika mispronounces "Sankakusu" as "San-ka-KU-su" instead of "San-KA-ku-su" like it was pronounced in previous episodes.

Motoki, however, says it correctly.

Tellu's name is pronounced here as "Teh-LOO", and her civilian name is "Ruru Teruno".

Kyusuke's voice still sounds like a man in his 30s.

"Tellun" is pronounced here as "Teh-LOON"

When Usagi gets caught by Tomoe on her way back from the restroom, she gives him about too much information regarding the tea and her bladder.

The guy whom Makoto sees in her dream (her Sempai?) is named "Nichogi"

Episode 33 -

Cyprine's name is pronounced here as "Sih-prin"

Ptilol's name is pronounced here as "Puh-tih-loll"

Yep, that's all I got for this one.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
From Act 37 (Episode 38)

Expected after Sailor Moon Drops (link) but it's good to know they too used the correct spelling so we should expect the same for the newly-translated subs on the discs.

Sabrblade wrote:
It may also have to do with the fact that Crystal's dub has a different voice director from that of the 90's anime redub.

Nope, both dubs are directed by Suzanne Goldish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Nope, both dubs are directed by Suzanne Goldish.

I've always wondered why the voice acting is so much better in Crystal than it is in the redub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Doesn't the Crystal dub have a different script writer than that 90s redub, too?

Yep, they have a different scriptwriter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:53 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Episode 34 -

Sailor Moon turns into Super Sailor Moon by invoking "Moon Crisis, Make Up!", which is accurate to the Japanese version since that version did not use "Crisis, Make Up!".

Contrary to Cyprine, Ptilol, and Kaolinite all having pronounced Cyprine's name as "Sih-prin", Sailor Moon instead pronounces her name as "Sih-preen".

Instead of continuing to refer to the "god of destruction", the Outers now speak of the "Guardian of Destruction"

Episode 35 -

Mamoru mentions the Messiah despite that having not been brought before.

Mamoru once again refers to the "god of destruction"

Episode 36 -

Professor Tomoe refers to all of his experiences that led him to fulfilling his dream of creating super lifeforms as "gifts from Heaven"

Tomoe, upon ending his monologue about creating super lifeforms, declares himself to be God.

Like in the Japanese version, Tomoe's super lifeform upgrade is not called Germatoid.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
There's a new trailer out now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Episode 37 -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hotaru, in the Japanese version, say something to Chibiusa like "Even though we're both girls..."? If she did, that line is omitted in the dub, instead focusing on how much Hotaru cherished her friendship with Chibiusa before her final "I love you" line (which in the Japanese version I do remember was the platonic "daisuki" rather than the romantic "aishite").

Which Chibi Moon sets off to go join the others in the fight, Mamoru thinks to himself "It's like I gave her away at a wedding."

When Tuxedo Mask first arrived on the scene in the Japanese version, his first line, IIRC, was some form of encouragement to the others. But here, his first line is instead "What can I do to help?"

Episode 38 -

Sailor Saturn refers to herself as being, once again, "the uninvited guest".

Neptune refers to the Silence Glaive as "the scythe of the Goddess of Death"

Saturn's attack is properly called "Death Reborn Revolution"

It just occurred to me that Master Pharaoh 90's dub voice here reminds me of Wiseman's DiC dub voice, only less over-the-top supervillain-y.

Episode 39 -

Master Pharaoh 90 refers to the Tau Star System as "The graveyard of gravity, which swallows total darkness! My homeworld of death, the Tau Star System!"

Neptune calls Chibi Moon "little princess"

Chibiusa mentions that Usagi can't write Kanji.

Usagi says that she's going to join the Manga and Illustration Club

Minako alludes to a certain manga as "the one about the talking cats..."

"Ichinohashi Park" is kept

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sabrblade wrote:
Episode 37 -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hotaru, in the Japanese version, say something to Chibiusa like "Even though we're both girls..."? If she did, that line is omitted in the dub, instead focusing on how much Hotaru cherished her friendship with Chibiusa before her final "I love you" line (which in the Japanese version I do remember was the platonic "daisuki" rather than the romantic "aishite").

Yeah, she did. As a Chibiusa/Hotaru fan, I am a bit disappointed they changed that line in the dub

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13