Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Crystal English Dub thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:59 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Another great episode. Stephanie killed it as Neo Queen Serenity and so did Sandy Fox as Black Lady. Wiseman's dub VA is making the Black Moon episodes A LOT more enjoyable too.

Bag of Magic Food wrote:
I wonder how they arrived at "Evil Sight" as the name of that power when I thought the more traditional term "evil eye" would be easier to comprehend. (At first I couldn't find it on a Sailor Moon wiki, but then I discovered they called it "Invincible evil sight.")

Maybe they wanted to distinguish it from "Evil Eye"? But yeah, I think "Evil Eye" would've worked fine too. Normally I'm all for manga to anime consistency, but given the general quality of Kodansha's release, this is one time I wouldn't mind an exception. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:27 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
Wiseman's dub VA is making the Black Moon episodes A LOT more enjoyable too.

This!

No goofy tone when talking & laughing in this dub, Wiseman can actually be taken seriously now. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:00 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
http://www.hulu.com/watch/929931

Act 23 is now up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:28 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Right about this episode is where Wiseman's voice would have best gotten deeper and scarier since, while sounding better than his original goofy voice, he still doesn't sound that intimidating or frightening with his normal-sounding old man voice.

And do we still not know who voices this too-mature-sounding Diana?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
I saw rumors that Debi Derryberry voices both Diana and Momoko, and I noticed that Momoko did sound like Candy half the time, but I'd have to listen to more of her voice work to be sure, maybe go back and watch Jimmy Neutron again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:30 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
I saw rumors that Debi Derryberry voices both Diana and Momoko, and I noticed that Momoko did sound like Candy half the time, but I'd have to listen to more of her voice work to be sure, maybe go back and watch Jimmy Neutron again.
Wouldn't Momoko be voiced by the same person who voiced her in the 90's anime redub?

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, I wish Wiseman had a creepier sounding voice too. But I can't complain too much, since he's such a huge improvement over Crystal's Japanese VA for him.

Sabrblade wrote:
Wouldn't Momoko be voiced by the same person who voiced her in the 90's anime redub?

It's possible Debi Derryberry voices her there too. We never got confirmation of who voices her there either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:01 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
http://www.hulu.com/watch/930267

Act 24 is now up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:08 am 
inactive
We got to hear some crazy laughs this time, and Diana does start to sound like Candy when she raises her voice!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:51 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 15 months ago
inactive
Veronica Taylor is really nailing those more emotional scenes as Pluto so far. I can't wait to hear both her and Sandy Fox next episode.

One thing that kinda bothered me was that they now refer to her three taboos as "laws" now. Every other English adaptation kept that word in, so I'm wondering what was going on with the script writer there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Wiseman's voice sounds a little better when he reveals his true form, but it still sounds too high-pitched and hammy to be level of scary-sounding that it needs to be.

And Diana's voice continues to sound just so wrong for the character.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:52 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
I actualy like Diana s voice,her voice actr does a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:57 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
imaginationgirl wrote:
The acting is fine. The voice just isn't age-appropriate for her. She sounds too old.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sabrblade wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
The acting is fine. The voice just isn't age-appropriate for her. She sounds too old.

That depends how old is Diana?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In Naoko's drawings she is a child. Unless like chibiusa she just stopped ageing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Ami Mizuno wrote:
In Naoko's drawings she is a child. Unless like chibiusa she just stopped ageing

I know she is a child, I meant how young a child she is. Cause to me she still sounds like a kid ,but an older one . Like 8 or 10, but also kid Japanese anime voices always sounds higher than there supposed to be . Why American children voices always sound deeper,or the right age.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:14 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
imaginationgirl wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

That depends how old is Diana?
A kitten. Everyone treats her like an infantile child who's still in her preschool years.

No way she'd be an 8 or 10 year old. Chibiusa is physically and mentally around Age 6 or 7 during this arc. Diana's certainly still younger than Chibiusa.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

Last edited by Sabrblade on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:19 pm 
inactive
And yet grown-ups are already taking advice from her!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sabrblade wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
I actualy like Diana s voice,her voice actr does a good job.]A kitten. Everyone treats her like an infantile child who's still in her preschool years.

No way she'd be an 8 or 10 year old. Chibiusa is physically around Age 6 or 7 during this arc. Diana's certainly still younger than Chibiusa.

Chibusa is 900 year s old ? She may look ,and physically is seven . But in reality 900 year s old , so yes were not sure her age . In her human four she does not look four .I know Chibusa is older than her obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Sounds like a child to me. Believable voice at around that age.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Diana is an infantile character, not a big kid-type character. She's treated like a baby in all things outside of this arc. This arc is a really really bad example of her characterization as she's so one-dimensional during this part of the story. She doesn't get to shine until later arcs, as here she's only allotted a single character trait: Politeness. All we get of her during this arc is how nice and properly-behaved she is that she might as well just be a robot. Go back watch the SuperS episodes of the 90's anime that spotlight her and see how those episodes portray her and everyone around her as though she were like a 3 or 4 year old toddler who's so precious and adorable and innocent and naive and overall babyish.

Confound Viz for their constant upping the ages of many of the characters' voices to make then sound older and more grown up than they really are. They keep doing this and it's just WRONG! :nope:

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:14 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sabrblade wrote:
Diana is an infantile character, not a big kid-type character. She's treated like a baby in all things outside of this arc. This arc is a really really bad example of her characterization as she's so one-dimensional during this part of the story. She doesn't get to shine until later arcs, as here she's only allotted a single character trait: Politeness. All we get of her during this arc is how nice and properly-behaved she is that she might as well just be a robot. Go back watch the SuperS episodes of the 90's anime that spotlight her and see how those episodes portray her and everyone around her as though she were like a 3 or 4 year old toddler who's so precious and adorable and innocent and naive and overall babyish.

Confound Viz for their constant upping the ages of many of the characters' voices to make then sound older and more grown up than they really are. They keep doing this and it's just WRONG! :nope:

I really don't get yor point here ? I'm sorry but I really don't. :unsure: Super S is not manga canon. Neither is the 90 s anime ,just because they have there version of the chaacter treated like that. Dosen't mean she suppose to be the same age ,or treated the same way here . The 90 s anime,and the manga were two different cannons.Crystal is closer to the manga canon,so unless they said she is a little toddler kid. Or until tey treat her like one in this cannon. Diana eing four,is speculation and nothing more. Also her va can can ge the tone of her voice when she does 90 s Diana.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:27 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
imaginationgirl wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

I really don't get yor point here ? I'm sorry but I really don't. :unsure: Super S is not manga canon. Neither is the 90 s anime ,just because they have there version of the chaacter treated like that. Dosen't mean she suppose to be the same age ,or treated the same way here . The 90 s anime,and the manga were two different cannons.Crystal is closer to the manga canon,so unless they said she is a little toddler kid. Or until tey treat her like one in this cannon. Diana eing four,is speculation and nothing more. Also her va can can ge the tone of her voice when she does 90 s Diana.
Regardless of continuity, it's all the same characterization for Diana. She isn't someone like Rei whose personality differs across different versions, she's universally the same across the board.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sabrblade wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

I really don't get yor point here ? I'm sorry but I really don't. :unsure: Super S is not manga canon. Neither is the 90 s anime ,just b different versions, she's universally the same across the board.

Not true, if you said in the manga she was treated,and acrt the same way I would agree with you.. Diana seems more matuer here ,than she was 90 s anime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
imaginationgirl wrote:
Not true, if you said in the manga she was treated,and acrt the same way I would agree with you.. Diana seems more matuer here ,than she was 90 s anime.
It's not so much maturity as it is propriety. She's very respectful to those whom she knows deserve her respect. But since she never gets to interact with any other characters besides that inner circle of respected individuals, we don't get to see the other sides of her childlike personality that reveal themselves in later arcs--such as her playfulness and naivete--because this arc is so heavily centered around Usagi, Mamoru, Chibiusa, and Sailor Pluto. Everyone else gets put on the back burner compared to those main four.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:01 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
I would say '90s anime Diana was pretty mature. She tried to keep Double Moon from arguing at times, and she would fill in for Luna and/or Artemis for advice during battles (i.e., she told Sailor Moon and Chibimoon to take the fights outside, or she'd help the victims). She was still childlike at times and let her kitten tendencies come into play, but otherwise, she was mature, especially with Mamoru. In Crystal, she just has a bigger role (seeing as she was introduced sooner) so they can expand upon her personality more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:01 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
http://www.hulu.com/watch/934842

Act 25 is now up

And a final reminder that this was a thing...

(from Act 19, the Love Me Chain footage was used two other times with 25 being the last)

As much as Season 3's version is closer to the 90s show, it's much better than this was and actually has a background that's not a still image moving around.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:59 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I just realized next week we're going to see Chibi Moon's speech. Yet another thing we're hearing in Crystal before the 90s redub. :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:08 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
When explaining to Chibiusa the many forms of expressing love, Pluto's mentioning of "hugging and kissing" as only one example of expressing love is omitted from the dub.

Also, near the end, Death Phantom's referring to Sailor Moon as "Queen of the Moon" is changed in the dub to "Queen of the Earth".

Though, when his true form is shown near the end, Death Phantom's Viz voice sounds the best it's ever sounded in either the redub of the 90's anime or in this dub, but still not as good as either Japanese voice (or at least, as good as the Japanese Crystal voice sounds in this episode, since it's no longer horribly goofy by this point).

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Diana needs to sound MUCH younger. it needs more of a babyish cute voice.
Black Lady VA did ok, but definetly did not do the SAILOR PLUTO scream as well as I'd hope. The problem with most of the voices is direction. Much of the lines are under acted , when it should be more over the top. For instance , Jupiter saying "why is that wrong, she saved us all" after Endymion explains Pluto stopped time. She sounds like she just woke up from bed and said that. You're on the moon, Pluto just died and ☹ is out of control. I'm going to need you to sound a bit more dramatic. A lot of the lines are delivered like they are on Xanax.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next