It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Differences between Seasons 1 & 2 and S3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Other: Call me Neko-chan
Okay,so from when I saw Act 27,I thought "☹ , that's a lot better that those old anatomies !"
Do you a agree with me ?
Oh and it was much better than that horrible 3D !(except for Jupiter she had her transformation on speed up lol).

Attachments:
smc_error_ep09_07_big.jpg
smc_error_ep09_07_big.jpg [ 44.15 KiB | Viewed 4917 times ]
smc_error_ep09_03_big.jpg
smc_error_ep09_03_big.jpg [ 33.9 KiB | Viewed 4913 times ]
smc_error_ep03_08_big.jpg
smc_error_ep03_08_big.jpg [ 30.54 KiB | Viewed 4918 times ]

Post subject: Re: Differences between Seasons 1 & 2 and S3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:31 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
I think there is enough topic bashing the first two seasons... Do we really need another topic?

I did prefer the 3D transformations, and I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I preferred the old look. Also, your bashing is transparent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:05 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How is that bashing? it;s not like he went "Previous seasons sucks, and you suck for liking them" And i agree, for me, S3 is huge improvement S1, S2 was ok but S1..from plot changes, to character models, to one dimensional Inners after their inroduction episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Literally who cares anymore too? Season 3 is ending in 3 episodes. Must we beat this dead horse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:22 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
I feel that, as a Crystal fan, I have no strong preference for either art style. Both art styles have their highs and lows.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Yeah, each season has irlts highs and lows. I find the 3D henshin more fluid than their 2D counterpoints. I still like all 3, just Infinity holds the top spot as of now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
I like both styles, why I loved the animation had improved . Was this really even necessary , season 3 is almost for one done . And season 1, and Season 2 has been over almost year . I prefer old style , and the old transformations. Basically its over , and its done .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Last night I wrote a reply but deleted it because I thought I was being trolled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:01 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 10 months ago
inactive
I prefer the new art style, wasn't very fond of the original Crystal one although it specular scenes. Not a fan of the first two seasons but what's done is done, I'm just glad the 3D transformations are gone for good, phew.

What the first and second Crystal did that I liked were the "real time" action fight scenes instead of the repeated stock footage, but then it just lacked action altogether :googly: you can't have yin without yang :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:52 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Other: Call me Neko-chan
Nobody get sad because Setsuna/Sailor Pluto haven't got a transformation ?

The season is almost finished. Can't wait to see the Dream Arc , where maybe Setsuna will have a transformation .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Moonlight Star wrote:

The season is almost finished. Can't wait to see the Dream Arc , where maybe Setsuna will have a transformation .

The reason of this is simple,because Crystal is more base on the manga .Sentsu manga did not have a power up, or make up in the manga .So were probably are not going to get a transformer from her .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 pm 
Luna
Luna
I hope we get 4D transformation sequences for Dream so we can have more of these great discussions!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:32 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:
Moonlight Star wrote:

The reason of this is simple,because Crystal is more base on the manga .Sentsu manga did not have a power up, or make up in the manga .So were probably are not going to get a transformer from her .

That's not the most valid reasoning as there's been things in Season 3 that aren't in the equivalent manga arc. For instance, certain attacks weren't used during specific battles. The show could have easily omitted Mercury Aqua Mist on two occasions (neither usage was in the corresponding manga chapters) so they could have animated a transformation sequence for Pluto.

I mean, they already have the template: copy the basic transformation from the old anime, reuse stuff from Haruka and Michiru's new transformations such as the hands being raised, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:00 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Pluto may get a transformation but aside from that. World Shaking and Deep Submerge haven't been done either. I could be wrong but I think whatever we saw hit Mimete is all that we are going to see for the remainder of the season. I find this slightly strange but not a bother at all. I mean we did get to Sparkling Wide Pressure and Venus Love-Me Chain. There was one episode where Cyprine attacked Haruka in her apartment. I think this would have been the best episode to showcase a Pluto Planet Power Make-Up.

I can't believe it's almost Monday again and time for a new episode. I love this weekly format and in this episode, lots will happen. Ive been purposely not allowing myself to get a refresher from the manga so I will be even more surprised when stuff happens.

Out of any Guardian, I really want to see how Saturn transformation will look. I bet it will be super fast just like in that video game... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
sailormoonpedia wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Moonlight Star wrote:

That's not the most valid reasoning as there's been things in Season 3 that aren't in the equivalent manga arc. For instance, certain attacks weren't used during specific battles. The show could have easily omitted Mercury Aqua Mist on two occasions (neither usage was in the corresponding manga chapters) so they could have animated a transformation sequence for Pluto.

I mean, they already have the template: copy the basic transformation from the old anime, reuse stuff from Haruka and Michiru's new transformations such as the hands being raised, etc.

I'm not saying they couldn't , but they probably won't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:30 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Sera-V wrote:
I hope we get 4D transformation sequences for Dream so we can have more of these great discussions!

virtual reality

i can see it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
sailormoonpedia wrote:

That's what irritated me about season 3 the most, to be honest... the henshin for Uranus and Neptune is literally a carbon copy of 90s anime... I'd like to see Crystal add something to make it noticeable compared to the 90s henshin... so if anything, I am quite glad we'll not be seeing Pluto's henshin for season 3 otherwise, it'll be a carbon copy of the 90s one too. :lol:

Otherwise... for Dream arc... I am hoping to see both style from S1/S2 and S3 being mixed so both seasons doesn't feel too off and it'd be good for 4th season too, I think...

I prefer the S1/S2 art style but I prefer the henshins (except for Uranus, Neptune, Jupiter, and Moon) from S3, and I do want to see what the 3D henshin would be like for Uranus, Neptune, and Chibi Moon, to be honest...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:27 am 
inactive
Zeo wrote:
I am quite glad we'll not be seeing Pluto's henshin for season 3 otherwise, it'll be a carbon copy of the 90s one too..

I wouldn't be surprised if her Dream era transformation is just a copy of the Planet Power one from the '90s anime - only with Crystal modifications.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:32 am 
inactive
sailormoonpedia wrote:
Zeo wrote:
I am quite glad we'll not be seeing Pluto's henshin for season 3 otherwise, it'll be a carbon copy of the 90s one too..

I wouldn't be surprised if her Dream era transformation is just a copy of the Planet Power one from the '90s anime - only with Crystal modifications.

Unfortunately, you may be right on that as well. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 am 
inactive
Zeo wrote:
sailormoonpedia wrote:

That's what irritated me about season 3 the most, to be honest... the henshin for Uranus and Neptune is literally a carbon copy of 90s anime... I'd like to see Crystal add something to make it noticeable compared to the 90s henshin... so if anything, I am quite glad we'll not be seeing Pluto's henshin for season 3 otherwise, it'll be a carbon copy of the 90s one too. :lol:

Otherwise... for Dream arc... I am hoping to see both style from S1/S2 and S3 being mixed so both seasons doesn't feel too off and it'd be good for 4th season too, I think...

I prefer the S1/S2 art style but I prefer the henshins (except for Uranus, Neptune, Jupiter, and Moon) from S3, and I do want to see what the 3D henshin would be like for Uranus, Neptune, and Chibi Moon, to be honest...

I absolutely agree with everything you said.
I think a mix of Takahashi and Sako would be great for Dream, plus good animation thanks the higher budget.

I prefer Sako's style but I also like some traits of Takahashi (some of his softness).

I agree about the disappointment in seeing the 90s anime's attacks capy-pasted in third season of Crystal, too. You can criticize 1-2 seasons for many reasons, but, for sure, everything was more unique and not a mass of stock footages carbon-copied from the 90s anime :sick:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I hope season 4 has a blend of both more real time fighting and stock footage, like in the Pretty Cure series. That would probably satisfy more people.

I do like the real time attacks in the first two seasons, but I didn't really like how short some of them were. In season 3, I'm loving the stock attacks, but they DO take up too much time sometimes.

I think to make the stock footage less skip-worthy, what they could do is either shorten the attacks or just keep the length of the attacks and just use a real time background from time to time instead of a generic sparkly one.

I also hope that the Outer Senshi don't get such holy transformation music in the next season :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:36 pm 
inactive
blu notte wrote:
I think a mix of Takahashi and Sako would be great for Dream, plus good animation thanks the higher budget.

I prefer Sako's style but I also like some traits of Takahashi (some of his softness).

Honestly, a higher budget is not the only reason why the animation looks better in Season 3.

New character designs being simpler (hence easier to animate) help a lot as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:51 pm 
inactive
Kon wrote:
blu notte wrote:

Honestly, a higher budget is not the only reason why the animation looks better in Season 3.

New character designs being simpler (hence easier to animate) help a lot as well.

The problem is that the new design is TOO simple and poorly detailed. It looks flat, to me.
Some episodes of the first two seasons showed that also the past design could be animated in the proper way, though. And it looked BEAUTIFUL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:12 pm 
inactive
blu notte wrote:
The problem is that the new design is TOO simple and poorly detailed. It looks flat, to me.
Some episodes of the first two seasons showed that also the past design could be animated in the proper way, though. And it looked BEAUTIFUL.

It is true that past designs could be beautiful at times of good animation, but achieving good animation with the old designs is more complicated and expensive (which is why we have only small moments of this in the first two seasons).

Even though the budget allocated for the season 3 is higher, it is unlikely that this would be enough to get many more beautiful moments with the old style (especially because the animation must also focus on other aspects, not only making the characters look good). The quality of animation would be lower than the current quality of Season 3.

Honestly, Toei probably never give enough budget to a TV series for Sako's style has proper animation.

Last edited by Kon on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:40 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Right. The key animation would most likely suffer because the animators would have to focus more time on getting the detailed hair and skirt right instead of things like movement which is more important for an anime. So you'd probably end up with Microsoft Powerpoint animation just like a lot of the episodes in Season 1 and Season 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
blu notte wrote:
I think a mix of Takahashi and Sako would be great for Dream, plus good animation thanks the higher budget. I prefer Sako's style but I also like some traits of Takahashi (some of his softness). I agree about the disappointment in seeing the 90s anime's attacks copy-pasted in third season of Crystal, too. You can criticize 1-2 seasons for many reasons, but, for sure, everything was more unique and not a mass of stock footages carbon-copied from the 90s anime :sick:

I think a mix of Yukie Sako and Akira Takahashi's art styles work very well for the Dream arc, too. With this, you can easily take Yukie's excellent eye for details and add Akira's softer look. Adding 90's anime styled stock attacks is disappointing.

Kon wrote:
It is true that last designs could be beautiful at times of good animation, but achieving good animation with the old designs is more complicated and expensive (which is why we have only small moments of this in the first two seasons).

Agreed!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:15 pm 
inactive
While more consistent than Seasons 1-2, Season 3's art looks like fanart to me. Even that new Blu-ray art is underwhelming. The actual episodes have simple character designs that make it easier for some people to appreciate or process visually, not to mention they're easier for the staff to produce. Crystal still has issues writing wise, and the pacing has yet to be perfected, but I think the new art and direction (adding more intricate battles not seen in the manga, zeroing in on the nostalgia hungry by heavily referencing the '90s anime in terms of transformations and attacks) has seemed to placate a lot of viewers (perhaps not on this forum particularly). Maybe even made them gloss over the ongoing problems. While I'm not a fan of Seasons 1-2's writing, pacing, or direction, I still found the character designs more unique and interesting when done right. Sadly it just didn't work when put in motion due to problems previously mentioned by others here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I think they should take a 6 month hiatus to re-design every character in Crystal.

Why?

Unlike Infinity Arc, Dream Arc was started when Naoko's style was defined. Dream Arc and Stars Arc have the same style.

Our girls grew up and looked very mature (like kanzenban's covers).

Even Chibiusa really looked like a maiden instead of a child.

Simplifying the style doesn't mean to lead to what SMC3 has now.

Sako's style was difficult because it had many angles on the face. If you change the angle just a bit, the face will look drastically different.

Takahashi's style is much easier. It's rounder and more simple.

I won't have any objection if Takahashi is the character designers of the next season.

In fact, Takahashi could draw adult very well. But for some reason, he thought sailors should look childish (???), and it won't work well with season IV.

Why don't they combine the rounder face (Takahashi) with the higher nose and the tiny mouth (Sako)?

They should get rid of those bubbles and spend no more than 3 minutes to draw zigzag lines on the hair, more lines for the hair and eyelashes.

Takahashi could create a style that both simple than Sakou and look mature, but he just didn't. We all know how self-centered he was in Season 1 and 2. He didn't follow Yukie's style.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 am 
inactive
Crystal Moon wrote:
I think they should take a 6 month hiatus to re-design every character in Crystal.

Why?

Unlike Infinity Arc, Dream Arc was started when Naoko's style was defined. Dream Arc and Stars Arc have the same style.

Our girls grew up and looked very mature (like kanzenban's covers).

Even Chibiusa really looked like a maiden instead of a child.

Simplifying the style doesn't mean to lead to what SMC3 has now.

Sako's style was difficult because it had many angles on the face. If you change the angle just a bit, the face will look drastically different.

Takahashi's style is much easier. It's rounder and more simple.

I won't have any objection if Takahashi is the character designers of the next season.

In fact, Takahashi could draw adult very well. But for some reason, he thought sailors should look childish (???), and it won't work well with season IV.

Why don't they combine the rounder face (Takahashi) with the higher nose and the tiny mouth (Sako)?

They should get rid of those bubbles and spend no more than 3 minutes to draw zigzag lines on the hair, more lines for the hair and eyelashes.

Takahashi could create a style that both simple than Sakou and look mature, but he just didn't. We all know how self-centered he was in Season 1 and 2. He didn't follow Yukie's style.

I agree!!! Absolutely. About everything.
Takahashi could simplified Sako's style without making the characters too childish.
Whereas tbe past style was too detailed and sharp (and so difficult to animate, even if I loved it) the new style is too simple, basic and rounded. They oversimplified the past style. Lazy, too me.