Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How are SEASON 3's sales in Japan?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:50 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Does anyone have the sales figures for how well disc sales are doing for season 3 of Crystal in Japan? Or any idea of how many units need to sell for it to be considered a success?

Post subject: Re: How are SEASON 3's sales in Japan?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
You can read here: http://tiny012.tumblr.com/post/15062248 ... les-part-2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The only thin g i can say at least blue ray , and dvds are premium items. Hopefully the other merchandise sells well enought to make seasson 4.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:57 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sales would have been better if they reanimated some frames and made corrections to the video. But, alas, no, it's Toei.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What about toy sales figures?

Post subject: How were the sales for Sailor Moon Crystal season 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
2017 and still no season 4 news. I'm wondering if the Japanese sales for season 3 were bad or something. Does anyone know the numbers, or can post a link to the info? I'm wondering if sales were drastically different from the blurays of the first 26 episodes.

Post subject: Re: How were the sales for Sailor Moon Crystal season 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:26 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Didn't you already ask this question which was already answered here?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29012

Post subject: Re: How were the sales for Sailor Moon Crystal season 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Didn't you already ask this question which was already answered here?

http://prettyguardiansailormoon.com/vie ... 46&t=29012

Holy crap yes I did. I completely forgot about it! ^_^'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:39 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What a crap show! Toei couldn't have failed so miserably with their marketing strategies. Crystal is no where near an improvement to the original series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
HeartWarrior wrote:
What a crap show! Toei couldn't have failed so miserably with their marketing strategies. Crystal is no where near an improvement to the original series.

Maybe that's precisely their current business model & strategy - making profit by producing crap shows (but w/ careful/active control on the optimal level of crapiness &, of course, production costs). :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
HeartWarrior wrote:

Maybe that's precisely their current business model & strategy - making profit by producing crap shows (but w/ careful/active control on the optimal level of crapiness &, of course, production costs). :P

I don't understand how Ms. Naoko Takeuchi approved this hot mess... Or maybe not all of it was under her control.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
HeartWarrior wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
HeartWarrior wrote:

I don't understand how Ms. Naoko Takeuchi approved this hot mess... Or maybe not all of it was under her control.

Also, she mightn't have got the time to follow it closely anyway? :confused:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:28 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
HeartWarrior wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
HeartWarrior wrote:

Enough might have been under control. After all, the Senshi pairings were her idea. I don't think we'll ever know how much control she has in it but it's probably not to much. It may be the same as she had with PGSM. Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:12 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Oh come on! Crystal isn't all bad, it still has its positives and even advantages over the 90s anime. Both versions have their own strengths and flaws and advantages over each other.

Anyway regarding the fact that season 3's blu-ray and dvd sales have been lower than the previous 2 seasons, I have a possible reason for that. I think the show itself overall S3 was an improvement from the first 2 seasons, but what the first 2 seasons did better in the marketing was the fact that the limited blu-ray releases for seasons 1 & 2 were a lot more elaborate than S3's blu-ray releases. For the first 2 seasons, each volume of the limited blu-ray sets came in beautiful boxes and included exclusive artbooks and cute phone charms with each volume, so there were a lot of nice bonuses that came with the limited blu-ray sets for seasons 1 & 2 to entice buyers, and not to mention if you bought all the 13 volumes of the limited blu-ray sets you get a special collectors box. Japanese people love products that include extra bonuses and perks, this sort of marketing strategy to attract more buyers has been used in the music and home video industries in Japan for many years and it works. I'm sure many Japanese fans were attracted to all the nice bonuses and perks that came with the limited blu-ray sets for S1 & S2. But the home video releases for season 3 were rather "bland" and "ordinary" in comparison, the packaging of the S3 blu-ray & dvd releases were less elaborate and rather ordinary, the only bonus you get with each set is an artbook, there's no special charms or other perks to attract more buyers, so it's possible that less fans were interested in buying the blu-rays & dvds for S3. Of course there might be other reasons, but I think the fact that the first 2 seasons had better bonuses and incentives in their blu-ray releases to attract more buyers is at least one reason why the home video sales for S3 were lower than the first 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I mean, Season 3's boxsets were pared down in content probably because Season 1 and Season 2's bluray sales ranged from average to below average. Why pack the discs with so many extras, elaborate packing (including a music box) and retouch the animation when you only shift about 2,000-3,000 copies per disc?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:41 pm 
inactive
I agree, that's why I did not buy any of the original japanese releases of the blu-rays and dvds because they're so expensive and a waste of money IMO, even the limited editions are not worth the money even with all the bonuses, because each release only contained 2 episodes per disc, and even with the bonus booklets and charms are not worth $80+ per box set IMO.

But my point is that the first 2 seasons sold more units probably because the limited blu-ray box sets for seasons 1 & 2 contained better bonuses and perks and elaborate packaging, so that surely attracted more buyers. Although yes selling only about 2,000-3,000+ or so units per box set seems so little, but if you look at it from another perspective, the releases for season 3 in comparison were much more ordinary with less bonuses and content, and they sold less than the first 2 seasons. So at least seasons 1 & 2 sold more blu-rays and dvds because of the better bonuses & content that came with the limited blu-ray box sets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NeoKingEndymion wrote:
Sales would have been better if they reanimated some frames and made corrections to the video. But, alas, no, it's Toei.

So we're making wild guesses now anout things that are impossible to proof?
That said I doubt a few changes would have affected the sales much if at all.

HeartWarrior wrote:

You do realize Crystal is her original story with minor changes, right? Why wouldn't she approve a faithful adaptation of her work?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:00 am 
inactive
PlutoDwarfPlanetPower wrote:
You do realize Crystal is her original story with minor changes, right? Why wouldn't she approve a faithful adaptation of her work?

that's exactly right, Crystal is almost an exact replicated adaptation of Takeuchi's original manga series, with just some few small changes and differences here and there, it's much more faithful to the manga than the 90s anime ever was. So Crystal is actually how the original story was suppose to be from the manga, the 90s anime deviated too far away from the manga and changed too many things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:28 pm 
inactive
Following the Manga closely hasn't exactly done Crystal much in the way of favors. As far the general public is concerned.
The harsh reality, is that pleasing a handful of purists isn't going to make ends meat. And Toei is clearly banking more on merchandise sales.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Following the manga didn't hurt FMA Brotherhood and now even most FMA fans argue Brotherhood is superior to the original FMA because it follows the manga more faithfully. The big issue with Crystal was that it didn't know what kind of series it wanted to be. It wanted to be more faithful to the original but it also wanted to do some original content but they couldn't do that with the restraints of a 12 episode cour. But I think if they went with the season three route from the start, had it air weekly on TV with a higher production value, just adapt faithfully instead of trying to do both, and split some of the acts up for more room to breathe, I think Crystal would have been much more successful with the fandom from the start. They don't need to make a lot of radical changes but episodes like the Moon Kingdom background episode really need to be a full episode of it's own instead of them trying to cram it all in one episode. But I think we Moonies also have to accept that in this post-Madoka world, Sailor Moon is kind of a dated series. Sailor Moon was revolutionary for it's time but nowadays everyone wants magical girls to be dark and angsty. Season three has some of that but it's nowhere as edgy as something like Yuki Yuna or whatever. Maybe if Crystal was made before the dark magical girl craze, it might have been a bigger hit, but magical girl fans have higher standards now for what they expect from the genre than what Sailor Moon has to offer. It's sad to admit it but Sailor Moon is just too old for modern anime fandom I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:20 pm 
inactive
Personally I don't think we should use Crystal's rather dismal blu-ray and DVD sales as any indication that SM is "outdated" or "not as popular anymore", because the truth is with the rapid growth of online streaming in Japan, physical blu-ray and DVD sales in general has dropped significantly in Japan and worldwide, more & more people nowadays turn to streaming shows and movies online instead. And especially since the first 2 seasons of Crystal were released as a web series and are legally available for free streaming online worldwide and in Japan, most SM fans turn to free online streaming for the anime. Its physical home video sales may be down but Crystal is a huge hit series online in Japan, and receives millions of views online. Crystal actually gets much more hits and views online than many other less iconic 'Magical Girls' animes like Madoka and Pretty Cure. That's why Toei decided to air season 3 on TV, because Crystal became such a huge hit online. And even though S3 was aired on TV in Japan, it is still also widely available online in Japan too. And Crystal appeals to a wide range of people, apart from the many long-time fans who grew up watching SM, there's also many young generation fans who only just recently became SM fans through Crystal. And the reason why there's just so much endless SM merchandise being released in these last few years is because Crystal and SM in general is still hugely popular in Japan and the demand for SM merchandise is very high. And the new SM musicals are huge hits in Japan also.

Most people in Japan just don't buy blu-rays and DVDs much anymore, just like the rest of the world, the home video market in Japan has also been shrinking significantly due to the rapid growth of online streaming nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorLinda1 wrote:
Personally I don't think we should use Crystal's rather dismal blu-ray and DVD sales as any indication that SM is "outdated" or "not as popular anymore", because the truth is with the rapid growth of online streaming in Japan, physical blu-ray and DVD sales in general has dropped significantly in Japan and worldwide, more & more people nowadays turn to streaming shows and movies online instead. And especially since the first 2 seasons of Crystal were released as a web series and are legally available for free streaming online worldwide and in Japan, most SM fans turn to free online streaming for the anime. Its physical home video sales may be down but Crystal is a huge hit series online in Japan, and receives millions of views online. Crystal actually gets much more hits and views online than many other less iconic 'Magical Girls' animes like Madoka and Pretty Cure. That's why Toei decided to air season 3 on TV, because Crystal became such a huge hit online. And even though S3 was aired on TV in Japan, it is still also widely available online in Japan too. And Crystal appeals to a wide range of people, apart from the many long-time fans who grew up watching SM, there's also many young generation fans who only just recently became SM fans through Crystal. And the reason why there's just so much endless SM merchandise being released in these last few years is because Crystal and SM in general is still hugely popular in Japan and the demand for SM merchandise is very high. And the new SM musicals are huge hits in Japan also.

Most people in Japan just don't buy blu-rays and DVDs much anymore, just like the rest of the world, the home video market in Japan has also been shrinking significantly due to the rapid growth of online streaming nowadays.

Do you actually have any sources for these claims? Because, to my knowledge, the only episode to have hit a million views is Act 1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:46 pm 
inactive
there are many online Japanese streaming sites where you can stream Crystal online and not just legally on the Nico Nico Douga site, I often watch anime and Jdoramas (Japanese live action dramas) online on these streaming sites and you can see just how many online views these dramas or videos get and compare them to how many views other shows get online. Just google "セーラームーンクリスタル動画" or "セーラームーンCrystal動画" to search various Japanese sites where you can stream Crystal online, Nico Nico is the only Japanese streaming site I know where you can watch Crystal legally online, but some people also go to illegal streaming sites.

Last edited by SailorLinda1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:04 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorLinda1 wrote:
there are many online Japanese streaming sites where you can stream Crystal online and not just legally on the Nico Nico Douga site, I often watch anime and Jdoramas (Japanese live action dramas) online on these streaming sites and you can see just how many online views these dramas or videos get and compare them to how many views other shows get online. Just google "セーラームーンクリスタル動画" or "セーラームーンCrystal動画" to search various Japanese sites where you can stream Crystal online, Nico Nico is the only Japanese streaming site I know where you can watch Crystal legally online, but some people also go to illegal streaming sites.

I mean I'll take your word, but it's weird to call something an "online hit" if its "millions of streams" are from illegal sources which gives its creators zero money ... And I'm still not exactly sure how you're getting that Crystal is a bigger hit online than shows like Madoka or Precure.

For Toei, having a new anime like Crystal helps promote the onslaught of anniversary merch and everything else, so as long as that keeps selling, Season 4 can have abysmal ratings, dvd/bd sales and terrible reviews and we'll still get a Season 5. If it was judged on its own merits, the plug would have been pulled on Crystal ages ago, but the rules are a little different when you're part of a behemoth franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 pm 
inactive
Seira Hazuki wrote:
I mean I'll take your word, but it's weird to call something an "online hit" if its "millions of streams" are from illegal sources which gives its creators zero money ... And I'm still not exactly sure how you're getting that Crystal is a bigger hit online than shows like Madoka or Precure.

For Toei, having a new anime like Crystal helps promote the onslaught of anniversary merch and everything else, so as long as that keeps selling, Season 4 can have abysmal ratings, dvd/bd sales and terrible reviews and we'll still get a Season 5. If it was judged on its own merits, the plug would have been pulled on Crystal ages ago, but the rules are a little different when you're part of a behemoth franchise.

True, but one thing you need to take into consideration is that Madoka and Pretty Cure are both aired on TV while Crystal started out as a web series, before it migrated to TV for season 3. So unlike Crystal, there's really no legal streaming sites where you can watch Madoka and Pretty Cure legally, since their only legal form of broadcast is on TV, so the studios make absolutely NO profit from all those online streaming for Madoka and Pretty Cure. But since Crystal was originally a web series, it can be streamed legally for free in Japan and worldwide and the only official online distributor I know where you can watch Crystal legally online in Japan is Nico Nico. And the Crystal episodes tend to get higher views on Nico and other streaming sites compared to Madoka and Pretty Cure.

Of course I'm just basing my judgment on what I've seen and observed and I go to these Japanese sites quite frequently, but I'm sure being part of such a huge and iconic franchise certainly benefits Crystal a lot, and not to mention the new anime ties into all the popular anniversary merchandise as part of the whole SM 20th-25th anniversary project, so that certainly helps boost Crystal's exposure & interest too. It probably wouldn't fair as well if Crystal was just a standalone anime without all the anniversary tie-ins. But the anime itself still gets a lot of views and streaming online. The amount of people who watch and stream Crystal online far outweighs the number of people who buy the blu-rays and DVDs, which proves that most fans prefer to stream Crystal online instead of buying the physical blu-ray & DVD releases. And that problem extends to Japan's home video market in general, like I have mentioned before, the home video market worldwide has been shrinking rapidly with more and more people turning to online streaming nowadays. So it's not just Crystal's blu-ray & DVD sales that are affected. And the fact that you can watch Crystal legally online for free certainly gives fans more incentive to opt for the online streaming instead. I think maybe Toei knew that Crystal was popular online so they made the blu-ray releases for the first 2 seasons more impressive with good bonuses to entice more buyers to buy the blu-rays, rather than just streaming the anime online, but that marketing strategy may not have worked so well as Toei might have hoped. It would explain why the subsequent blu-ray releases for season 3 were less impressive & elaborate with less bonuses in comparison.

Last edited by SailorLinda1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I can't speak for how it's viewed in Japan, but it still seems like in the larger American anime fanbase at least that Sailor Moon is some kind of cutesy show we all enjoyed watching when we were kids but doesn't have as much of a deeper meaning outside of the hardcore fandom and the 90s anime is seen as more favorably for it's nostalgic value. I certainly do know of a lot of cases where Moonies were able to get newer fans into Crystal than the old time fans but there does seem to be this perception out there that Crystal is a cynical cash in for a nostalgic show that it's a bit past it's prime. We Moonis look back at PGSM more fondly nowadays but I remember it did poorly with the TV ratings too even though it was produced for a TV audience and took a lot of creative liberties with the manga source materials that fans wish they did with Crystal. Even in the U.S., PGSM was dismissed by the larger fandom for the longest time and only seems to have developed a nostalgic niche in more recent years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 am 
inactive
Do the sales take into account for digital releases? People in general are shifting towards digital products. I myself was a collector of things but have gone down the path of digital now. It is the future, like it or lump it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:50 am 
inactive
I think those numbers are only for the physical sales for the blu-rays and DVDs.