* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crystal , and Filler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I still love sailor moon crystal , and with its flaws . But re watching it and the 90 s anime. I don't think Filler would work in sailor moon crystal. The reason is how it's set up . Let me explain Crystal is more plot related series . While the 90 s anime has plot ,but it feels more like a super hero sentai series . Like the ones you watched on Friday nights . Why there is plot a good fraction of the show is like let s see what are favorite characters are up too ? Crystal feels like a movie you're telling a story .Each episode feels like it's a chapter of a story . So Fillar would not fit it , if they did it would feel out of place . But to me what probably work better if some the early episodes were split up into two episodes . Like episode 12 if that was a two parter . It probably would fixed some of the problems if they add more scenes in that episode .

Post subject: Re: Crystal , and Filler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It depends what you mean by filler. Obviously Crystal wouldnt work with many filler episodes as the 90s anime but 4-6 extra episodes per season, written carefully into the story wouldnt hurt anyone. In fact it would help to build the world and characters like Michiru or Rei who sadly seem like wallflowers. Something like Casablance Memories in S1 would've help big time

The reason why old anime's fillers were what the were was because
1. The anime and manga were released at the very same time (1 chapter with about 4 episodes per month)
2. Sailor Moon in a big way was inspired by its "parent story" Sailor V and that was pretty much a fillerville

Besides Naoko herself didnt seem to be bothered by flllers: in fact check all of her additional SM stories: they're all loose fillers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
I wouldn't mind some filler here and there either; one of the qualities of now-classical Anime franchises were scenes and special episodes which showed that these heroes we admire are, deep, deep down there, just ordinary people like us who posess flaws and weaknesses and need to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, go on vacation and relax, too, something that several early Western Comic stars "bravely" evaded.

If these Filler Episodes didn't exist, it would make the characters look like just another arrogant and/or pathetic and/or patriotic Übermensch group (Just my humble opinion, you're free to disagree) :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:12 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
I certainly agree that some Crystal filler would be nice. They could adapt some of the side stories or make up original episodes. I'd love to see what they came up with

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:32 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
doctorwho29 wrote:
I certainly agree that some Crystal filler would be nice. They could adapt some of the side stories or make up original episodes. I'd love to see what they came up with

I like the idea of the side stories being adapted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:41 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Crystal should have at least added 4-5 "filler" episodes for the individual senshi. I mean I do kinda like Crystal how it is but Season One should have had a little bit more filler, maybe even something extra. I think they should have done the exam battles but I wonder if they will do another Sailor Moon movie for Crystal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:08 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
Senshi x Shitennou was the closest thing to filler Crystal had in my opinion and I think if they had left that out the inners would have more focus time, and seeing that it's the beginning what more important time to establish who they are and what they're like, sure we the fans know but what about new viewers who would more than likely pick Crystal as their introduction to SM? It goes back to what each fan sees as character development but Nevermind that for a sec my point is there was a missed opportunity because of this optional change.

Well anyways maybe it's a good thing Crystal did away with that type of side plot.
I do understand there are fans who actually like what they did with Sen X Shi and hey that's fine and dandy but are they satisfied with its conclusion? It felt unnecessary because they didn't go all the way with this side plot filler thing, it's crystals equivalent to the break up arc in R, at the very least they missed an opportunity to establish how the inners are capable of finishing enemies, not just MOTD's but General's on their own without sm to do it or be killed by a big bad like beryl herself or have them seemingly be finished only to have them return an ep or so later, Instead we often see the inners defeated easily, acting hive minded, and feeling like cardboard cutouts of themselves, particularly from the beginning they don't stand out from one another in personality.

I'm not trying to be negative about Crystal, just pointing out how if sen x shi was defined as a filler, Crystal would have done better without it from the get-go.

That said I'd prefer if every act was at least 2 episodes instead of the 1 act = 1 episode style
So perhaps Crystal doesn't need fillers exactly due to its plot based episode style but extended time to thoroughly explore each act to truly bring the manga to anime form.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:03 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
I still love sailor moon crystal , and with its flaws . But re watching it and the 90 s anime. I don't think Filler would work in sailor moon crystal. The reason is how it's set up . Let me explain Crystal is more plot related series . While the 90 s anime has plot ,but it feels more like a super hero sentai series . Like the ones you watched on Friday nights . Why there is plot a good fraction of the show is like let s see what are favorite characters are up too ? Crystal feels like a movie you're telling a story .Each episode feels like it's a chapter of a story . So Fillar would not fit it , if they did it would feel out of place . But to me what probably work better if some the early episodes were split up into two episodes . Like episode 12 if that was a two parter . It probably would fixed some of the problems if they add more scenes in that episode .

Actually I think filler could work quite well in Crystal it could add things to the plot that were never explored or only hinted at and could expand on plot ideas that weren't fleshed out well plus give characters development and characterization. If Crystal actually had some filler and proper characterization it would no doubt make the show better and not so rushed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:50 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I would support having Sailor Moon Crystal doing the episodes for 'side stories' so we get to know the characters better and well.. I only can see 2 or 3 filler episodes at the most for Sailor Moon Crystal per arc because having too much filler wouldn't work for the Crystal one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Zeo wrote:
I would support having Sailor Moon Crystal doing the episodes for 'side stories' so we get to know the characters better and well.. I only can see 2 or 3 filler episodes at the most for Sailor Moon Crystal per arc because having too much filler wouldn't work for the Crystal one.

Yes his was my point a lot filler would not fit Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:26 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I do agree with you to some extent but not completely, one of the main problems with the old 90s anime is that it had much too many filler episodes (some were totally unnecessary and pointless) and that dragged the series out way too much and it makes the 90s anime too tedious to watch sometimes. But at the same time, Crystal also has a problem of being a bit too fast-paced, although that can be a good thing in some perspectives, but it's really a double-edge sword. As much as I love Crystal and love the fact that it's much more fast-paced and much shorter compared to the 90s anime and it focuses a lot more on the storytelling, but at the same time I also think that there's not enough character-driven episodes for the other Inner Senshis. I feel there's just too much focus on Usagi/Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask and their romance and Chibiusa in Crystal, and that there is not enough focus and character development for the other Senshis in Crystal. So I would've liked to have a few extra episodes in Crystal that focused more on fleshing out the other Inner Senshis characters a bit more, and focus more on the friendship between the Senshis, and less on the romance aspect. Of course I would not want them to add TOO many fillers in Crystal, but I think just having a few "filler" eps once in a while in Crystal can be a good thing. And even if a "filler" ep does not progress the storytelling, but if it is a character-driven ep that focuses more on developing the other Senshi characters individually a bit more, then it's not "completely" filler, and I think we needed a bit more character-driven eps in the first 3 seasons of Crystal. Yes it's important for the series to be very story-driven, but I think it's also important that they develop and flesh out the other characters more and not just focus mainly on Usagi and her relationship with Mamoru and Chibiusa. This is the one thing that the 90s anime did much better, although there were too many unnecessary fillers in the 90s anime, but the 90s anime also had many character-driven eps that really helped to develop and flesh out the other characters a lot more and made them more dimensional, and we need more eps like these in Crystal to balance things out. Because based on the first 3 seasons of Crystal, there were rarely any fillers and the series was very short and mainly focused on the storytelling and on Usagi & Mamoru's relationship, BUT at the same time, there also were not enough focus and development for the other Senshi characters, so that is the downside of Crystal.
Like I mentioned before, I don't want Toei to add too many fillers in Crystal, but just adding a few more "semi-filler" character-driven episodes for the other characters once in a while would've been ideal and would improve Crystal too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:27 am 
Stella
Stella
Zeo wrote:

Well if I could add filler I would add world building filler as well as character building filler to expand on the lore of Sailor Moon and ideas that weren't fleshed out in the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
We're four seasons into Crystal at this point. If they wanted to add filler, they would have done so last season. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Season 4 is going to be any different.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 pm 
Stella
Stella
Seira Hazuki wrote:
We're four seasons into Crystal at this point. If they wanted to add filler, they would have done so last season. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Season 4 is going to be any different.

I didn't say that I thought that Season 4 is going to be different I just think that again some filler would benefit the series. I have already stated before that while I don't hate Crystal it is not personally what I wanted for the new anime. That being said I can't wait or Dream because I know it will be better then SuperS.