Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viz Media's Sailor Moon Crystal BD/DVD Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:18 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
...Someone actually translated the fansubs in that way to make her say that? Oh brother.

Who did that? Which fansubs did that?

It was TV-Nihon, forgot which episode though.
Do you at least remember if it was in their original subbed version or in their redone subs?

Original subs since it's the TV broadcast with the time on the screen and that's the only version I watched.

EDIT: Thanks Haruki, I just checked her debut in Act 6 and yeah, it's there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:11 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I think she said it two or three times that season. I remember her saying it on her debut episode and I believe the episode where she and Rei got into their little disagreement and the episode where she fought againt Kunzite. When I first saw it, I was thinking that they realled stepped up in language and gave Mako an edge.
Or rather, the people subbing her lines chose to harden the translation of what she says since the Japanese language doesn't actually have any direct means of expressing that specific idiom in that manner.

In TV-Nihon's redone version, the line was re-subbed as "Don't screw with me!" (Meanwhile, Miss Dream subbed it as "Screw you!", bit of a bizarre difference in meaning, there, Miss Dream.)

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
NJ_ wrote:
https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/762767388588728320

The first set is in stock now at Right Stuf so watch your cards since you'll likely get charged today or tomorrow.

I received my set this past Monday. Here is a list of things I noticed:

* Audio quality for the OP & ED varies - it doesn't match with the Japanese version, just like with the 90s BD/DVD release
* The credits & title cards were left in Japanese, unlike the Hulu version which were translated
* Also, they used the TV masters with sponsor cards after the opening theme and next episode preview <- same as the Hulu version

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:03 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
KAKERU wrote:
* The credits & title cards were left in Japanese, unlike the Hulu version which were translated

No wonder that booklet has a list of credits...

I guess there's nothing to worry about then with Season 3's 6 openings.

Anyway, I have a few more questions since I don't have my copy yet nor do I have the Japanese discs.

-Does the booklet list who did the authoring? I expect it to be Subatomic Digital but I want to be sure.
-Could you post some PNG screencaps of this and the JP discs so we can see the quality on Viz's release? As said before, I'm not expecting it to look 90s anime bad but Subatomic has had issues with HD shows in the past and their most recent upscale of Death Note (not HD but worth pointing out) was 50/50 due to compression issues.
-How are the subs? Did they change anything from what's on NicoNico & Hulu/Yahoo View (see "Rascal, Sailor Mars" in Act 3)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:26 am 
inactive
NJ_ wrote:
KAKERU wrote:

No wonder that booklet has a list of credits...

I guess there's nothing to worry about then with Season 3's 6 openings.

Anyway, I have a few more questions since I don't have my copy yet nor do I have the Japanese discs.

-Does the booklet list who did the authoring? I expect it to be Subatomic Digital but I want to be sure.
-Could you post some PNG screencaps of this and the JP discs so we can see the quality on Viz's release? As said before, I'm not expecting it to look 90s anime bad but Subatomic has had issues with HD shows in the past and their most recent upscale of Death Note (not HD but worth pointing out) was 50/50 due to compression issues.

I will have to check when I get home to see who did the authoring, but I am sure it was Subatomic Digital.

As for the the visual quality, I did notice a lot of banding and possibly a bit of macroblock:
http://i.imgbox.com/sDnjSL3a.png
http://i.imgbox.com/kciRaDUE.png
http://i.imgbox.com/gcsiEB7C.png
http://i.imgbox.com/kpv3zZ5B.png
http://i.imgbox.com/FzuMs7vA.png
http://i.imgbox.com/TYGw543P.png

NJ_ wrote:
KAKERU wrote:

-How are the subs? Did they change anything from what's on NicoNico & Hulu/Yahoo View (see "Rascal, Sailor Mars" in Act 3)?

It's a fresh, new translation. That line was translated as: Curse you, Sailor Mars!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:50 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
KAKERU wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
KAKERU wrote:

It's a fresh, new translation. That line was translated as: Curse you, Sailor Mars!
Looks like I've got new subs to observe. Oh joy.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Thanks Kakeru.

Sabrblade wrote:
Looks like I've got new subs to observe. Oh joy.

I feel sorry for you, it means you'll have to pay close attention to the worst of this set's episodes in Act 12. :dead:

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
It might also be worth checking whether they ever corrected the many discrepancies in the closed captions for episode 4's dub.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I also got my copy, and found out a couple new voices, and one that uses its alias, that the original end credits never mentioned, in the booklet:

-Susanne Goldish as Yumiko
-Cricket Brown (who also voices Haruna) as Kuri
-Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's using her alias, Lucy Todd, for her Queen Metallia role

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:50 am 
inactive
That was funny when episode 14 credited both Lucy Todd and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Watched my set earlier today and here are a few notes.

-The DVD main menus are the same as volumes 1 & 6 of the Japanese volumes.

-The BD menus use clips from the show with some of this tune playing in both.

-The closed captions for the English dub are kept intact, it's the same as the 90s discs where you'll need to use your remote to turn them on.

-The Japanese subs on the BDs are locked and can't be turned off while watching that version. It's to avoid reverse importation from Japan and unlike the 90s anime, I see them being kept locked for all of Crystal.

-The character artwork are not spread across more than one item. Unlike with the 90s anime, which had it's covers, booklets & art card designs on the Blu-ray disc galleries, it's the opposite for Crystal as the disc galleries there only have images that are not in the booklet nor the art cards.

-The English cast interview on BD 2 was recorded in July 2015 during Anime Expo weekend and has Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda C. Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond, who were guests for Viz's Sailor Moon panel, and it's only 14 minutes long. Absent from this is Sandy Fox who was also there for the panel. This might explain the Momoiro Clover Z extra that has yet to be released as they were also at Anime Expo as well.

KAKERU wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Thanks again, I can confirm this now.

Comparison:

Toei (Hulu/niconico)

Crunchyroll (fixed around the time of Act 4's premiere)

Viz sub (DVD)

Viz dub (DVD)

Bag of Magic Food wrote:
It might also be worth checking whether they ever corrected the many discrepancies in the closed captions for episode 4's dub.

Just checked my DVD, also checked Hulu.

http://view.yahoo.com/show/sailor-moon- ... ance-party

Bag of Magic Food wrote:
2:44
"I'm late again!" [spoken]
"I'm gonna be late again!" [caption]

Quote:
4:23
"You solve all those difficult equations so fast! That's amazing!" [spoken]
"You solved all those difficult equations so fast! How do you do it?" [caption]

It's the same on the DVD but were apparently fixed on Hulu.

Quote:
6:03
"You have all been chosen as her Sailor Guardians." "But how are we supposed to do that when we don't even know who this princess is?" [spoken]
"You have all been chosen as h Sailor Guardians." "How are we supposed to do that when we don't even know who this princess is?" [caption]

This was fixed on the DVD to "her", still " h" on Hulu though.

Quote:
7:09
"Gotcha! You're not gonna get away this time! Take this! And that! Haha! Just look, bad guy, and that!" [my guess at Usagi's overlapping speech]
"Come on! Stop playing this dumb game!" [Luna's overlapping speech]

Quote:
11:21
"I need something to dry off with!" [spoken, not captioned]

These lines are still not subbed on both Hulu & the DVD.

Quote:
14:16
"Come forth, oh monster who serves our great ruler..." [spoken]
"Come forward, oh Monster who serves our great ruler..." [caption]

It's the same on both Hulu & the DVD but listening to it again, it actually sounds like he said "forward". :orly:

Quote:
2:55
"Good morning!" [spoken]
"Morning!" [caption]

Quote:
3:30
"This pouty-faced girl is Usagi Tsukino..." [spoken]
"This girl with the grumpy face is Usagi Tsukino..." [caption]

Quote:
5:07
"He killed me!" [spoken]
"You killed me!" [caption]

Quote:
5:34
"I stayed up way too late, so I fell asleep during class." [spoken]
"I stayed up way too late last night so I fell asleep during class." [caption]

Quote:
"Looks like there are a lot of extra policemen on the street today." [spoken]
"Looks like there are a lot of extra police on the street today." [caption]

Quote:
7:48
"She kinda looks a bit like you, Umino." [spoken]
"She kinda looks like you, Umino." [caption]

Quote:
7:52
"Ah, a fancy ball being thrown in her honor? I really wish I could go!" [spoken]
"And a fancy ball being thrown in her honor! I wish I could go, too!" [caption]

Quote:
9:48
"Usagi, are you sure we'll be able to get into this thing?" [spoken]
"Usagi, are you sure that we'll be able to get into this thing?" [caption]

Quote:
12:25
"Beautiful princess... Would you grant me the honor of a dance?" [spoken]
"Beautiful Princes... Would you give me the honor of a dance?" [caption]

Quote:
13:00 and 21:27
"Just now I was hoping I would see you again." [spoken]
"Just now I was hoping that I would see you again." [caption]

Quote:
18:15
"When I used it in the last battle, it got destroyed!" [spoken]
"When I used it in the last battle it got burned up!" [caption]

Quote:
18:24
"I feel so warm inside." [spoken, not captioned]

Quote:
19:24
"How dare you possess the Princess, you evil villain?!" [spoken]
"How dare you possess the princess you villain!" [caption]

Quote:
19:53
"We are the Four Kings of the Dark Kingdom, who serve our great ruler." [spoken]
"We are the Four Kinds of the Dark Kingdom who serve our Great Ruler." [caption]

Quote:
20:01
"I'm Nephrite." [spoken]
"Nephrite." [caption]

Quote:
20:45
"I'm not sure about that. Right, Usagi?" "I'm just relieved it's over. All this fighting's made me sleepy!" [spoken]
"I'm not so sure about that, right, Usagi?" "I'm just relieved it's over. All that fighting made me so sleepy!" [caption]

Quote:
20:56
"Ladies and gentlemen, Princess D will now reveal the Kingdom of D's legendary, secret treasure." [spoken]
"Ladies and gentlemen, Princess D will no reveal the Kingdom of D's Legendary Secret Treasure!" [caption]

Each line are the same on both Hulu and the DVD.

:rofl:

Laughed at this one harder than I should have.

Quote:
Also Act 4 was when I first saw an eighth note used to show that music was playing.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:52 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
Mine is on its way, since it will be coming from the USA, i'd expect it not to arrive in a week or so, can't wait to have an authentic Blue Ray version with subtitles version. I may try to watch the dubbed just to see if i can take it (The original dub made me hate the North American version but i do know they made some improvements in this one like keeping all of their original names and not changing them).

Can't wait to order the 2nd set and then i'll probably start ordering the original 90s version of the Viz Media Dub.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:57 am 
inactive
This is the first time I have not pre ordered from RIGHTstuf. Can anyone tell me if in the past stores have carried the limited edition sets? I dont care about packaging but, want to see all the extras.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Starpower67 wrote:
This is the first time I have not pre ordered from RIGHTstuf. Can anyone tell me if in the past stores have carried the limited edition sets? I dont care about packaging but, want to see all the extras.

From personal experience, I've never seen the limited editions at Target or Wal-Mart. The limited edition of Sailor Moon Crystal is really gorgeous though, I'd say it's worth buying. The box is amazing, the booklet is really packed and the cards that it comes with are really pretty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ZkKzpjYvzaJv

A comparison video that Mercurius posted comparing this set and volume 1 of the Japanese release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:01 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I just watched episode 1 of the bluray. I noticed banding. Also, when Usagi returns to her room after being kicked out, there is something wrong with Luna. There is a lot of ghosting around her.

Anyone else notice these issues?

Last edited by NeoKingEndymion on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:10 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That's..sad to hear, hopefully Austalian release will use JP masters, and won't tweak with it :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kamil88 wrote:
That's..sad to hear, hopefully Austalian release will use JP masters, and won't tweak with it :(

I don't think it's an issue with the masters. Whoever is handling the masters on Viz's team just doesn't know how to encode LOL I mean it's nearly impossible to mess up HD footage in 2016

NeoKingEndymion wrote:
I just watched episode 1 of the bluray. I noticed a lot of banding. It was very distracting. Also, when Usagi returns to her room after being kicked out, there is something wrong with Luna. There is a lot of ghosting and it happens more than once. It is also very distracting. Im disappointed and angry. Im so tired of being let down.

Anyone else notice these issues?

The banding is a HUGE issue for me, but I didn't notice the thing with Luna. I wasn't watching episode 1 very carefully though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:27 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ive warched more episodes. While there is some banding, its limited and the ONLY time i see ghosting is with luna in some scenes. But if you didnt notice it, maybe its just my tv with Luna. Id still recomend everyone get the set.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think the set looks fine. I don't see any ghosting issues so don't know what people are talking about there. I do see banding but I don't think it's that bad to the point where the image gets ruined. It's also impossible to tell if some of it is just inherent in the source. Some of the subs leave a bit to be desired, but whatever. I had forgotten how much I missed the more elegant S1 and 2 art style.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:05 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I hope set two doesnt take years to come out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:25 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
NeoKingEndymion wrote:
Also, when Usagi returns to her room after being kicked out, there is something wrong with Luna.

If you're talking about Luna in the dream, that's in the online version too.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2zdn04m.png

Quote:
There is a lot of ghosting and it happens more than once. It is also very distracting.

Screencaps? I watched the episode and didn't notice any ghosting.

ChibiBoi wrote:
I don't think it's an issue with the masters. Whoever is handling the masters on Viz's team just doesn't know how to encode LOL I mean it's nearly impossible to mess up HD footage in 2016

Unfortunately with the banding, it's actually common in most anime discs here. FUNimation for example, has been releasing plenty of Blu-rays for years which has had banding and other compression-related problems. See Serial Experiments Lain & Evangelion 3.33 for examples.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:40 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I only noticed the ghosting in a couple of episodes around luna, but it must be my tv. When i said something was wrong with luna, i meant tge ghosting, not the fact that she was in a cage. Heheh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Saturius wrote:
I had forgotten how much I missed the more elegant S1 and 2 art style.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the BD corrections. I know most of everyone likes the new designs better and I dont hate them myself but seeing Season 1 & 2 makes me wish they kinda stuck with the old style and just animated it better. Like that Pretty Cure season called Smile. Though Im not a huge fan of the show, the animation and colors are top notch at times...and seeing them do their goofy Pegasus power and Princess mode really gave me Dream Arc feels. Heck their weapons even look similar to the Moon Kaleidoscope. I hope that if we ever get Dream that Toei is as creative with the execution of attacks and doesn't resort to 90s "callbacks" (copying).

But S1 & S2 art resembles the quirkness of Naoko's manga better than the current designs. There are some things about the old designs tgat should be changed, like Usagi's odangos and Rei's somwtimes dull looking hair color.

Also regarding the ENG voice cast...Im sorry to say this but I really dont liketAmi's voice. Idk why but it sounds weird during transformation phrases and attacks..

I have no idea what ghosting is and Ive been looking for it in the animation...fading characters? :lol: IDK.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:43 pm 
inactive
Here are some comparison screenshots:

Viz Media VS Toei Animation:

Act 1
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181841
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181842
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181843
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181844

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:
Unfortunately with the banding, it's actually common in most anime discs here. FUNimation for example, has been releasing plenty of Blu-rays for years which has had banding and other compression-related problems. See Serial Experiments Lain & Evangelion 3.33 for examples.

I don't mind a little banding. I didn't notice Eva 3.33's banding at all while watching on my TV, and I can still barely see it from screen caps. But Sailor Moon Crystal's banding looks like someone tried making a low quality gif. Especially with the blues, the banding will bring in all sorts of shades of green and purple into the equation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
Has anyone compared Madman's version? Is Crystal also taken from Italian masters? Trying to decide whether to buy theirs or Viz's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
MerkurX wrote:
Has anyone compared Madman's version? Is Crystal also taken from Italian masters? Trying to decide whether to buy theirs or Viz's.

There is no Italian master for Crystal because Dynit hasn't licensed the show yet. As for Madman, that set comes out in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
NJ_ wrote:
MerkurX wrote:

There is no Italian master for Crystal because Dynit hasn't licensed the show yet. As for Madman, that set comes out in 2 weeks.

I have contacted Madman about their version of Crystal. It's the VIZ version, not a Madman remaster.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:
MerkurX wrote:

You guys, Toei is distributing the same master for all countries lol Crystal isn't a 90's show. It's in 1080p HD. Any quality defects can be easily fixed with a few filters. Even if banding was awful in the master they gave to Viz, it could've been easily fixed. So whether Madman's release is garbage quality depends on how they encode their videos. Only time will tell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next