* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I Think We Should Panic Now
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I've been trying to wait patiently for season four of Sailor Moon Crystal for months now, but season three was officially announced on January 8th, 2016. It's now January 8th of 2017 and we have not heard a single shred of news about season four. The only thing I've heard were comments about how even the music composer of Sailor Moon Crystal has not heard anything about season four. I think now's the time for us to panic and maybe raise a ruckus with Toei.

Post subject: Re: I Think We Should Panic Now
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly even though Crystal isn't what I personally wanted for a new anime I still don't want it to end. I was really hoping to see the Dream arc adapted and to see stuff like Phobos and Deimos, Xenotime and Zeolite, the Golden Crystal, the Maenads, the Senshi as Princesses etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I've been defending Crystal all this time and I'm probably it's biggest supporter. I've been supporting the official releases and buying the DVDs and defended it from it's harshest critics. Finally getting a faithful adaptation of Dream and Stars is the main reason I've been supporting Crystal all this time. Mainly I'm just outraged at the horrible way Toei keep treating it's fandom. Sailor Moon fans are probably they're most devoted supporters but it's like they're trying to pretend Crystal never existed. I'm not asking for much or even a character design artwork. I just want a confirmation if it's coning and when or if we should just give up and move on to other things. I have tons of other anime and manga to read and give my support to if it's never going to come. But Toei won't acknowledge us and they keep stringing us along to sell us more plastic toy crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's gonna happen. Here's no way Toei is going to leave Sailor Moon Crystal hanging like that. Even if they don't care about the title, and even if they turn out another crappily-animated season, they're going to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I wish I could believe that but I often get the feeling Crystal is more of an elaborate commercial gimmick to get us to buy expensive merchandise rather than it being about the actual show. If Toei thinks they're not making enough profit from Sailor Moon fans compared to their other more popular shows like One Piece and Dragon Ball Super, I wouldn't put it pass them to just hope everyone forgets about it. And then I often wonder just how pleased Naoko is with Crystal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Neon Genesis wrote:
I often get the feeling Crystal is more of an elaborate commercial gimmick to get us to buy expensive merchandise rather than it being about the actual show.

It *is* about buying new merchandise. If they didn't expect you to buy merchandise, they would not bother to make the show.

Quote:
If Toei thinks they're not making enough profit from Sailor Moon fans compared to their other more popular shows like One Piece and Dragon Ball Super, I wouldn't put it pass them to just hope everyone forgets about it.

I believe we are going to get the two remaining arcs.

If Crystal weren't a popular show, then Bandai would not be releasing the new Uranus and Neptune figuarts zero.

Quote:
And then I often wonder just how pleased Naoko is with Crystal.

I believe that Naoko likes to be behind the scenes, but now she is busy helping her husband finish his manga and raising her children.

Let's not panic. It took years for seasons 1/2 to come out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Naoko's family life didn't stop her from telling Chiaki Kon to put the funny faces back in Crystal. We all know how famously disappointed she was with many of the changes of the 90s anime. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't entirely pleased with Crystal either. With so much unknown at this point, there's nothing guaranteeing we're going to get a season four. Toei can still keep selling merchandise without Crystal and fans will keep buying the merch without it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
I believe that Naoko likes to be behind the scenes, but now she is busy helping her husband finish his manga...

That rumor was never confirmed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The composer saying he dont know anything about season 4 means nothing. He cant just come out and spoil it when nothing was announced,

Only because Season 3 was announced year ago doesnt mean they will do the same with Season 4. Season 2 had a whole stream with actresses at the end of it and yet they didnt mention a word about it and the actual announcement came few months later

its SM 25th annivesary this year. Just give them some time. Im sure there will be some even on Usagi/Chibiusa birthday as usual. If nothings announced there then go ahead and panic but for now its too early

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Let's wait till Usa and Chibiusa's birthday then!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Crystal Moon wrote:
Let's wait till Usa and Chibiusa's birthday then!

I do think thats really the best what we can do now. Since its 25th annivesary id be surprised if they didnt do an event this year and if there is any plans for season 4 thats the moment to announce it. If they wont then its not happening (at the very least this year)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
If that's the case, that leads credence to my theory they're planning on waiting till after the Stars musical and adapt Dream and Stars together like they did the Dark Kingdom and Black Moon. I just get tired of feeling like we're being dragged around a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Clow wrote:
I believe that Naoko likes to be behind the scenes, but now she is busy helping her husband finish his manga...

That rumor was never confirmed.

If a rumor is confirmed (which, in this case, it was not), then it's no longer a rumor; it is a fact. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:13 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Okay let's remember , why it is concerning were not hearing anything . It's not the end of the world, there still selling some merchandise. ( Now if it's a year from now we can panick)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:47 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
While 2018 is more possible, Crystal will have really hard time competing against Cardcaptor Sakura sequel, unless of course Madhouse will somehow screw something up, but if it will be as good as 1998 anime...We have to wait and see i guess, personally, i'd rather wait, than have it rushed, Dream and Stars really need proper adaptation and Dragon Ball Super Episode 5 will forever be in my heart as example of what happens when you release episode, while it is still not finished.

Last edited by kamil88 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
kamil88 wrote:
While 2018 is more possible, Crystal will have really hard time competing against Cardcaptor Sakura sequel, unless of course Madhouse will somehow screw something up, but if it will be as good as 1996 anime...

1998*

Quote:
Dragon Ball Super Episode 5 will forever be in my heart as example of what happens when you release episode, while it is still not finished.

And that 57 & 66 are the best that Super has ever had.

https://youtu.be/sJZeU0E_YiI?t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BD_MbGXB4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:26 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
There's just too much misinformation flying about and it's making everyone crazy. I partially blame that (incredibly misinformed) Tumblr post about Seasons 3's sales making everyone think that Crystal's future hinged on the success of its bluray sales in Japan despite the FAQ of the source that actually said this:

Quote:
1.1 How important are DVD/BD sales?

It depends! Great disc sales can make a show, but low sales won’t necessarily break it. A detailed explanation of “how the business works” requires a lot more detail but for now it’s sufficient to know that DVD/BD purchases are only one revenue stream sharing the burden with potentially many others...

The Sailor Moon franchise is still doing incredibly well as a whole. As of 2016, it is the fourth major earner for Toei in Domestic Licensing (341 Million Yen) and Overseas Film (318 Million Yen) in the fiscal year of 2016.

Of course, it's hard to distinguish how much of that is Crystal or Classic, but the anniversary has been going on since 2012, and Sailor Moon didn't start making 200-300 million yen in different categories until 2014-2015 when Crystal first started. Regardless, none of Season 1, 2 or 3's bluray sales would even account for that much money since no volume has sold more than 5,000 copies, so to panic over BD sales is naive.

The reason why Season 4 hasn't been announced yet is simple... They're probably not ready. With both Kon working on Naruto and Takahashi busy with Aikatsu; Toei has to once again find new a new director and CD during a year which at a glance looks like their BUSIEST in a while.

Not only do they have find new staff though, as with any anime, they have to assemble a production committee, sponsors, etc. There's a lot of puzzle pieces that have fall together in order to make an anime...

I say just be patient and wait a few more months before panicking. If it seems like the Sailor Moon gravy train is still slowing down by Spring, then yes I'd be concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Let's not panic. It took years for seasons 1/2 to come out.

So it might also take years for seasons 4/5 to come out. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
I wish I could believe that but I often get the feeling Crystal is more of an elaborate commercial gimmick to get us to buy expensive merchandise rather than it being about the actual show. If Toei thinks they're not making enough profit from Sailor Moon fans compared to their other more popular shows like One Piece and Dragon Ball Super, I wouldn't put it pass them to just hope everyone forgets about it. And then I often wonder just how pleased Naoko is with Crystal.

One Peice and DB Super thump Sailor Moon. Broadly speaking, shonen is just more popular and profitable any shojo. Women just don't consume home media on the same level men do. Merch might be a different story, but the anime industry is a male dominated world, so properties geared towards males will always outsell those towards female.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
I've been trying to wait patiently for season four of Sailor Moon Crystal for months now, but season three was officially announced on January 8th, 2016. It's now January 8th of 2017 and we have not heard a single shred of news about season four. The only thing I've heard were comments about how even the music composer of Sailor Moon Crystal has not heard anything about season four. I think now's the time for us to panic and maybe raise a ruckus with Toei.

This another idea ,since season 3 was on tv not the net . Maybe will get the new season next year . Usually most animes have a two year between seasons .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:29 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sera-V wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

One Peice and DB Super thump Sailor Moon. Broadly speaking, shonen is just more popular and profitable any shojo. Women just don't consume home media on the same level men do. Merch might be a different story, but the anime industry is a male dominated world, so properties geared towards males will always outsell those towards female.

Exactly. By that logic, Toei should have ended Precure years ago because it's always been outsold by its shounen counterparts.

Toei is a huge company so diversification is important for it to thrive and continue being one of the biggest anime studios... I don't understand fan logic that thinks because One Piece and Dragonball are making MORE money, it's a threat to Sailor Moon. That's just bizarre. No company is going to be like "well two of our products are doing extremely well, so let's cancel everything else!!" It doesn't really work that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:42 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
The lack of announcement doesn't mean there's no hopes of Crystal in 2017 yet. It just means it won't be a spring/summer anime. I'd save panicking until we're closer to the 2017 winter season without an announcement. I understand the concern, but I don't see any warning signs yet. :)

As nice as confirmation of a 4th season would be, lack of it is no reason to panic. They're probably waiting until closer to the release date to give us any news. If they announced it now, we'd be going months without any information. Better to wait until they can build up on the hype than announce it now and let it slowly dry out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Let s see... ^_^

Saint Seiya will have a new anime, called Saintia Sho on the 3 first months of 2017.... =^_^=

Cardcaptor Sakura will have a sequel in January 2018.... =^_^=

but Sailor Moon Crystal?? :ohdear: maybe they will be celebrating the 20th anniv. of the end of the classic anime next month!! ^_^'

I m sure that Sailor moon Crystal will have the Dream arc before 2018!! =^_^=
I know that Toei didn do a great animation with Crystal... :ohdear:
but hey...Saint Seiya Omega (2012-2014) had poor animation...and Toei did 97 episodes!! =^_^=

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Cardcaptor Sakura is not Crystal's opponent. Procure is. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Clow wrote:

False. Precure's demographic is little girls. Crystal's demographic has always been people who grew up with the series, mostly targeting adult women.

If anything the Clear Card arc anime will probably target the a similar demographic as Crystal (people who grew up with CCS).

Edit:

Saint Seiya is a good example of why people shouldn't freak out. The last anime ended in 2015 and there was no word about a new anime for a while until recently. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until late 2017, and Season 4 premieres early 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Clow wrote:

False. Precure's demographic is little girls. Crystal's demographic has always been people who grew up with the series, mostly targeting adult women.

If anything the Clear Card arc anime will probably target the a similar demographic as Crystal (people who grew up with CCS).

I meant that Precure is much more important and valuable to TOEI than Crystal ever will be. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Whether Crystal season three happens or not, fans are taking it for granted that it must happen for some nebulous reason when Toei hasn't really hasn't given us any real reason to expect that it must just because Sailor Moon has a large devoted fandom and season three ended on a cliffhanger. Toei never really said they for sure would be adapting all of the manga for Crystal. Remember that PGSM only lasted one season too and that series also got low ratings when it was released and that was a TV broadcast from the start. There's nothing to suggest Toei needs Crystal and they certainly don't need it to keep motivating fans to buy merchandise. There's just no guarantee necessarily that we will get a season four and we should not take it for granted especially after all the negative criticism the series has gotten. In any case, I personally would prefer to go months with no new updates than go another year without any sort of confirmation. They did worse with the initial announcement about Crystal and we survived then. I also don't think we should rely on Usagi's birthday as when big announcements about Crystal are going to come. I mean, they didn't announce season three of Crystal last year on Usagi's birthday and they actually didn't reveal anything new on it, so I don't know why fans keep expecting June 30th as some obligated date for big news when it's not really. Just don't get your hopes up for June 30th and it turns out nothing happens on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
If I recall correctly, someone please correct me if I am wrong, didn't Bandai stop producing PGSM merch after PGSM ended? By the way, I was so surprised back then by the fact that PGSM had at least a conclusion. I know PGSM is loved by many people now, but back then it seemed like not even the most loyal Sailor Moon fans liked it.

Anyhow, I think the fact that they are releasing so many products indicates that TOEI is still interested and will release season 4. Of course, Sailor Moon is by no means TOEI's "priority," but I think that we will eventually get a season 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
sakuraxchan wrote:
but hey...Saint Seiya Omega (2012-2014) had poor animation...and Toei did 97 episodes!! =^_^=

51 episodes, 52-97 never happened.

Clow wrote:
I know PGSM is loved by many people now, but back then it seemed like not even the most loyal Sailor Moon fans liked it.

You can say the same about Dragon Ball GT between when it was fansubbed to when it started airing here to even nowadays thanks to Super.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I recently learned that Sailor Moon is going to be one of Japan's anime mascots for the 2020 Olympics. I seriously doubt Crystal will be abandoned given the huge opportunity for cross-promotion.