* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Length of Season 4?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How many episodes do you think season IV will be? If they follow the same pattern with season III, it will be the number of acts in the manga (11), with one of them as a two-parter which means 12 episodes total. Which acts in Dream are big enough that can be covered in two episodes? Could they split-up two acts and order 13 episodes? I have a hunch it'll be 13 episodes like Infinity.

Is it true that a standard season order is either 12/13 or 24/26 episodes? Could they give season IV a shorter order of just 11 episodes? Are 11-episode seasons common?

Post subject: Re: Length of Season 4?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
11 Episode anime aren't that uncommon according to TV Tropes - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... isodeAnime

However, I'm almost certain they're going to split the first chapter into two episodes. Dream 1 is almost 75 pages and the same length as Act 27 which was done in two parts.

The real question is where would they split it? I'm thinking they're going to have the cliff hanger end with Chibiusa realizing she can't travel back to the future, and then the following episode cover the rest of the chapter with the fight against the Tiger (I bet they're going to change this.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:27 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Im not sure if they'll split the first act into two episodes because act 27 had two daimon attacks but in here we have only one attack so not sure if thats enough and they'd have to come up with something new probably.

Also seems the big stuff in Dream is that the senshi cant transform so that also narrows their possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sailor Starlight wrote:
Is it true that a standard season order is either 12/13 or 24/26 episodes? Could they give season IV a shorter order of just 11 episodes? Are 11-episode seasons common?

Yes it's common that a standar season order is 12/13 for half a season and 24/26 for a full season. Shorter seasons are possible but they would have to have a good reason for cutting it short.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
Sailor Starlight wrote:

Yes it's common that a standar season order is 12/13 for half a season and 24/26 for a full season. Shorter seasons are possible but they would have to have a good reason for cutting it short.

Japanese shows usually don't get an order for a number of episodes, they get ordered for a number of weeks. A 1 cour show is 13 weeks, 2 cours 26 weeks etc., the number of episodes then depends on the timeslot the show airs in and if it gets preempted due to a holiday or some other event.

If they do the dream arc it will be 13 weeks, if they do dream and stars it will be 26, how many episode that means will depend on the starting date and on what day it airs, so it's impossible to say right now.

Of course these rules are not written in stone but I wouldn't bet on them changing them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:45 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:
Im not sure if they'll split the first act into two episodes because act 27 had two daimon attacks but in here we have only one attack so not sure if thats enough and they'd have to come up with something new probably.

Also seems the big stuff in Dream is that the senshi cant transform so that also narrows their possibilities.

If they don't split the first act into two episodes, they'll have to do a lot of cuts considering how big the chapter is. And the pacing would just be terrible because they'd have to rush everything they can't cut. The battle wouldn't last for more than a minute. Don't forget there's a few pages from Act 38 that weren't even adapted in during Season 3 (Pegasus' actual appearance). So it would be almost 80 pages of story in 20 minutes. That's absurd.

They'll just have to get creative. I don't think anyone was expecting that cool looking Cat Daimon in Act 27 part II.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
SailorSugababe wrote:

If they don't split the first act into two episodes, they'll have to do a lot of cuts considering how big the chapter is. And the pacing would just be terrible because they'd have to rush everything they can't cut. The battle wouldn't last for more than a minute. Don't forget there's a few pages from Act 38 that weren't even adapted in during Season 3 (Pegasus' actual appearance). So it would be almost 80 pages of story in 20 minutes. That's absurd.

They'll just have to get creative. I don't think anyone was expecting that cool looking Cat Daimon in Act 27 part II.

I think they can do fast paced episodes. :happy: :happy: Just need to cut unnecessary dialogues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Crystal Moon wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:
SailorSugababe wrote:

I think they can do fast paced episodes. :happy: :happy: Just need to cut unnecessary dialogues.

What dialogue in Act 39 is unnecessary?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
SailorSugababe wrote:

You're probably right and i also can see them finishing first episode right after the time key fails but that would also mean no Sailor Senshi in first episode at all and im not sure if they'd want that.

I could see them cutting out the Moon trio buying the caleidoscopes and just make pegasus give them these. Also maybe the amazon trio transformation might be pushed into Ami's epsiode or split into three parts (basically each animal being transformed in the epsiode of their mission). Probably also less fluff between Usagi, Chibiusa and Mamoru in his apartment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
11 Episode anime aren't that uncommon according to TV Tropes - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... isodeAnime

Most of those shows are from Fuji TV's noitaminA block.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noitamina

I imagine when Crystal's set to premiere, that it'll be back on Tokyo MX and the other networks that aired seasons 1-3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorSugababe wrote:
I could see them cutting out the Moon trio buying the caleidoscopes and just make pegasus give them these. Also maybe the amazon trio transformation might be pushed into Ami's epsiode or split into three parts (basically each animal being transformed in the epsiode of their mission). Probably also less fluff between Usagi, Chibiusa and Mamoru in his apartment

If they do things like adjusting the beginning and ending of each act, then it might end up being fine.

But they will probably have to do a recap of the end of Act 38. I know people gave Season 3 flack for doing recaps, but people need to remember that it's not just superfans that are watching the show now that it's airing on TV and a lot of time will have passed since Season 3 ended.

That and with so many different scenes; Rei and the others saying their dreams, Usagi and Mamoru at the circus, then at their apartment, Chibiusa's dream riding Pegasus, Chibiusa finding out she can't time travel, introduction of the enemies, new transformation, new attack, switching ages, etc. Even if you cut out certain things, they will end up with a very rushed first episode which sounds like a really bad idea for the start of a brand new season (especially when it seems unlikely that they can get away with only 11 episodes). They didn't even cover Pegasus' first appearance in Infinity's finale... There's just way too much to cram I think.

Of course, you're right that if they do a two part episode, then it would mean the season premiere would not have a single appearance of a Sailor Soldier... But perhaps ending the first part with the girls realizing they can't transform might seem like a juicy cliffhanger for the start of the fourth season. I guess it's up to the director in this case. But if they did a two part first episode for Season 3, I don't see why it's suddenly unlikely for that to happen in Season 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Or maybe a longer episode? Im not sure how likely are these in the anime universe though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorSugababe wrote:
Or maybe a longer episode? Im not sure how likely are these in the anime universe though

Not possible with TV slots, unfortunately.

They can avoid showing the OP and ED for the first episode which would give them 3 more minutes to play with, but I don't think that's much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:

It depends on the script writer. I think he could rewrite to make it shorter, but keep the same meaning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Crystal Moon wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

It depends on the script writer. I think he could rewrite to make it shorter, but keep the same meaning.

Act 39 is going to take more than just dialogue cuts in order to fit 75-78 pages into 22 minutes... 18 minutes actually if you subtract the time it takes to show the OP, ED and new henshin. If they're foolish enough to cram it all into one episode, then at least 2-3 entire scenes will be cut. Remember that they had issues with cutting important scenes out in Season 1 and Season 2 and the page counts didn't even go higher than 60 pages.

(Also it's obvious Yuji Kobayashi is probably going to be the screenwriter for this and I don't trust him to simplify scenes considering some of his goofs while working on the series.)

Again, they already split Act 27 into two episodes so I don't understand why there's so much opposition to them doing it once more. There's no excuse for them not to, and it would make Season 4 look LAZIER if they just made Act 39 into one episode.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

Act 39 is going to take more than just dialogue cuts in order to fit 75-78 pages into 22 minutes... 18 minutes actually if you subtract the time it takes to show the OP, ED and new henshin. If they're foolish enough to cram it all into one episode, then at least 2-3 entire scenes will be cut. Remember that they had issues with cutting important scenes out in Season 1 and Season 2 and the page counts didn't even go higher than 60 pages.

(Also it's obvious Yuji Kobayashi is probably going to be the screenwriter for this and I don't trust him to simplify scenes considering some of his goofs while working on the series.)

Again, they already split Act 27 into two episodes so I don't understand why there's so much opposition to them doing it once more. There's no excuse for them not to, and it would make Season 4 look LAZIER if they just made Act 39 into one episode.

If they split, it means the first episode will not have the transformation scene. Uhm, unexciting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Crystal Moon wrote:
If they split, it means the first episode will not have the transformation scene. Uhm, unexciting...

If that's the price to pay for not having a terrible first episode than I'd take it.

Also they could always have the cliff hanger after Usagi and Chibiusa transform and include some scenes from Act 40 in Act 39 Part II. They could move the first introduction to the villains to the second part. Or even create new scenes.

Regardless they most likely will have to split one of the episodes... 11 episodes is unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:15 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

If that's the price to pay for not having a terrible first episode than I'd take it.

Also they could always have the cliff hanger after Usagi and Chibiusa transform and include some scenes from Act 40 in Act 39 Part II. They could move the first introduction to the villains to the second part. Or even create new scenes.

Regardless they most likely will have to split one of the episodes... 11 episodes is unlikely.

What about moving some scenes of Dead Moon to the second part?

I remember they moving Mamo and Haruka's monologues from act 38 to act 37.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think it will be cool to have at least one episode where no one is transformed and they are just in regular form leading up to the end of the episode with a cliffhanger. They can always add a lil action scene in somewhere beforehand, maybe.

Just long as the episodes are weekly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I just rewatched Act.15. Many lines are paraphrased, shorten or lengthen in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Crystal Moon wrote:
I just rewatched Act.15. Many lines are paraphrased, shorten or lengthen in some way.

Act 15 is only 42 pages long though, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Regardless some of the adaptation *choices* for Act 15 were strange. They deleted the reference to Rei's mother. I'd rather they don't take cues from Season 1 and Season 2 which did some cuts that were overall harmful for Crystal's story and faithfulness to the manga (such as cutting out Mamoru's healing ability in Season 2).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:

Not possible with TV slots, unfortunately.

They can avoid showing the OP and ED for the first episode which would give them 3 more minutes to play with, but I don't think that's much.
It's not that unusual for televised anime. The first episode of ReZero was an hour and so was the first episode of Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works and those were both televised anime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

Regardless some of the adaptation *choices* for Act 15 were strange. They deleted the reference to Rei's mother. I'd rather they don't take cues from Season 1 and Season 2 which did some cuts that were overall harmful for Crystal's story and faithfulness to the manga (such as cutting out Mamoru's healing ability in Season 2).

In act.15, they didn't use many lines from manga, as well as invented some new ones (for character development).
In act.10, they rewrote most part of Queen Serenity's conversation.
So I hope they can compress act.39 in one episode. If not, they could move some scenes to the next one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Crystal Moon wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

In act.15, they didn't use many lines from manga, as well as invented some new ones (for character development).
In act.10, they rewrote most part of Queen Serenity's conversation.
So I hope they can compress act.39 in one episode. If not, they could move some scenes to the next one.

Again, I think you're creating false equivalencies because I don't think any of the line changes in Act 15 and Act 10 had anything to do with compressing for time since neither of those acts come close to even reaching 50 pages. Act 38 is almost 1.75 x longer than both of those acts.

Also the only reason Season 3 was able to move scenes from one episode to another was because it split the first act in half and then took some scenes from Act 28 and put them in Act 27, giving them enough room to play with each episode's beginning and end points. Season 4 will have a harder time being able to accomplish this if it doesn't split the first chapter.