* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Season 4 - another style?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since it is doubtful Chiyaki Kon will return for Season 4, do you think rest staff will change too, and we will have another change in designs and anmation style?

Last edited by kamil88 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Season 4 - another style?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldnt be sure about Chiaki Kon. She was assigned to Naruto's novel adaptation but as far as i remember it said only about Sasuke ones which ended a while ago. Now the show is close to the end of the second novel out of three

New season of Crystal was just announced, we have no idea when the production will start so it might still be her.

As for the animation: i care more about the actual animation rather than the style so im opened to see what the new style will be (if there will be a change)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldn't be surprised if the new designs end up looking a lot like Witch!Usagi and Santa!Usagi from the recent ads.

Takahashi first created the designs for Season 3 right when S2 was ending. There's a chance the new designs for S4 might have already been decided.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
I hope not for something totally new but a mix of the good elements in Sako plus Takahashi.
I think that both styles had good and bad elements, and I think Dream should take the best from the previous styles.

Season 1-2: I absolutely love its elegant elements, giving a mature look to the characters, BUT (I'll admit, even if I am a huge fan of season 1-2's style) sometimes Sako's drawings were a bit 'stiff' and some proportions weren't right.

Season 3: I love Takahashi's softness and fluidity; his characters are expressive, BUT some elements (rounded faces, large mouths, lucid spots, shining eyes) are too childish, so erasing the elegance and maturity of the manga.

Latest promos: I love Usagi's eyes in latest promos!!! It's different than Takahashi and close the manga (who's drawing it?).

This is what I dream for Dream.

Attachment:
group modified.jpg
group modified.jpg [ 73.01 KiB | Viewed 4218 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think if they don't change the style of season 4, they will have to change it for season 5 anyway.
After experienced through the first 3 seasons, I think they should work well for season 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:07 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Most likely both Season 4 and Season 5 will have different character designers (I don't think they're going to be done as one season like some people here assume. Doing two separate seasons means they can milk Crystal even more.)

I don't think the changes for any designs going forward will be as dramatic as the switch between s1/2 and s3, but I feel like each season is going to have its own unique style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:27 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Honestly, I like the art as it is. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think s3 made them look too young. I think s1-2 made them look too OLD.

Seira Hazuki wrote:
(I don't think they're going to be done as one season like some people here assume.

Where on earth did that rumor start? I've heard it elsewhere before but I don't get it. What would be the point of combining them like that in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:29 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm guessing we will get another style, but I think the differences will be more minute compared to seasons 2 and 3. With season 3 they found a style that animated well and was positively received for the most part, so I don't think they'll want to fix what isn't broken.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
I'm guessing we will get another style, but I think the differences will be more minute compared to seasons 2 and 3. With season 3 they found a style that animated well and was positively received for the most part, so I don't think they'll want to fix what isn't broken.
All I ask for is to fix the eyes and make them look more mature. The way the eyes are right now they make the Inners look more like Pretty Cure. That style works fine for Pretty Cure but it comes across as distracting for Sailor Moon, especially in a darker season like Infinity. Like if they made them more like how the Outers' eyes are, I'd find that to be an acceptable improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I really hope so.
They have tried the ultramoe Precure style and they have miserably failed.
This anime was originally aimed at fans of the original artwork so if you make them look like shiny plastic precure bags, those fans, including me, will not watch it. I even bought the DVD of the first and second season.
No way I'm going to spend a cent on the season 3 merchandise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
GuerreroLuna wrote:
I really hope so.
This anime was originally aimed at fans of the original artwork so if you make them look like shiny plastic precure bags, those fans, including me, will not watch it.

So in other words, the style failed for you. Not failed in general.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I'll be happy with whatever I get, and if that includes Stars, I'll be even happier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
SailorWelshy wrote:
GuerreroLuna wrote:
I really hope so.
This anime was originally aimed at fans of the original artwork so if you make them look like shiny plastic precure bags, those fans, including me, will not watch it.

3,077 average sales for SMC 1&2 and 1,653 average sales for SMC 3.

Considering SMC3 covers the most popular manga arc :happy:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I can instantly spot when someone doesn't have a single clue what they're talking about when they mention disc sales in relation to Crystal.

Quote:
All I ask for is to fix the eyes and make them look more mature. The way the eyes are right now they make the Inners look more like Pretty Cure. That style works fine for Pretty Cure but it comes across as distracting for Sailor Moon, especially in a darker season like Infinity. Like if they made them more like how the Outers' eyes are, I'd find that to be an acceptable improvement.

I'm fine with them making the eyes look more like the manga, but I hope they don't go back to the style of eyes in Season 1 and Season 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
GuerreroLuna wrote:
I really hope so.
This anime was originally aimed at fans of the original artwork so if you make them look like shiny plastic precure bags, those fans, including me, will not watch it. I even bought the DVD of the first and second season.
No way I'm going to spend a cent on the season 3 merchandise.
I don't know why so many Sailor Moon fans seem incapable of not having such extreme reactions to Crystal one way of the other. I might have preferred a slightly different look, but it's ridiculous to refuse to support an entire season of a show you were enjoying otherwise for such a minor critique. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:26 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
GuerreroLuna wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:
GuerreroLuna wrote:
I really hope so.

3,077 average sales for SMC 1&2 and 1,653 average sales for SMC 3.

Considering SMC3 covers the most popular manga arc :happy:

You can put in any numbers you like, because it proves nothing.

Unless you have genuine evidence that it was the animation style that is responsible for the amount of disk sales, then I won't believe anything you say. Especially when you stroke your own ego by putting a smiley face at the end of your quote, which to me translates as. "Everybody is wrong, but me."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I suspect the animation may have played a part in the low sales but not because of the character designs but because they didn't fix the animation errors in some of the later episodes like they did with season one and two and there were less extras on the season three releases.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Are we really having anther argument about animation styles ? I prefer season one, and 2 . What happen in season 3 what s is done . (I think its cute). Were probably getting a new style . Everyone has there preference and opinion. No one right or wrong i this area .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
Yeah, this overlaps with something I said in an OT thread: Everybody keeps spamming around and rants their heart out on basically everything from the Chara Design to the Storyline of the series (meaning both singular & plural), although we just can't influence any of the the makers' decisions from here. :|

So haters gonna hate, but if they hate it that much or feel offended by anything they see on the show, be it due to cultural dissonances or whatever, they're free to stop watching it and they better let those who do like it like it. Live and let live.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:29 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I hope we get this badass style. :cool:

If not, S3 is just fine. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I hope they'll moved the art from this:
Attachment:
37.jpg
37.jpg [ 91.01 KiB | Viewed 2833 times ]

To something like this:
Attachment:
senshimodified.jpg
senshimodified.jpg [ 94.5 KiB | Viewed 2832 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
From this:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 6.37.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 6.37.33 PM.png [ 165.2 KiB | Viewed 2821 times ]

To THIS:
Attachment:
newmerch.png
newmerch.png [ 156.08 KiB | Viewed 2812 times ]

PLEASE!!!!! The new eyes are PERFECT. If they'll change some childish elements: faces a bit longer and not so rounded, smaller mouths with lipstick and not wide mouths.... It would be a bit closer the manga.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
She is 15, a girl!! she is not a woman, the second one looks strange.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The manga-style eyes look really good on the Inners, but - no offense - their chins are way too long and Usagi looks terrifying.

Also what is with people's obsession with small mouths? Usagi smiling in that new artwork doesn't look anything different from this or this. Is she not allowed to smile now?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:42 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Is she not allowed to smile now?

No, it's not "elegant" enough. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Other: Lingering Spirit
Who knows ?

I didn't mind S3's look , but I really liked the original S1/2 style . Maybe if they do another change up they'll give us elements of both S1/2 and S3's designs ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Small mouths and long chins are something about Takeuchi's style.
If they will change the style, I hope they will catch manga's elements and vibe. I just tried to change season 3 style with these elements. :keke: (of course, the editing isn't perfect :mrgreen:... It eas just for showing a "direction" )

Attachments:
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_nyju17DAH51r1bz0wo1_400.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_nyju17DAH51r1bz0wo1_400.jpg [ 82.82 KiB | Viewed 2548 times ]
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_lf12ufOZIM1qg067po1_400.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_lf12ufOZIM1qg067po1_400.jpg [ 121.86 KiB | Viewed 2554 times ]
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_o7cqi51SrK1v63y81o1_400.png
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_o7cqi51SrK1v63y81o1_400.png [ 338.75 KiB | Viewed 2556 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
And, of course, Usagi is allowed to smile. :P

Attachments:
newmerch2.png
newmerch2.png [ 157.01 KiB | Viewed 2501 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I want something like this:
Attachment:
sailormoon-kanzenban01-270x270.jpg
sailormoon-kanzenban01-270x270.jpg [ 43.19 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

I think season 1-2 managed to keep some characteristic elements from the manga. It wasn't perfect and it could be improved, though, but at least it had manga's vibe.

But season 3 went in a direction like this:
Attachment:
mangamodified.jpg
mangamodified.jpg [ 40.53 KiB | Viewed 2485 times ]

I hope season 4 will go back to the manga's proportions and characteristic elements. ^_^'
I just ask Crystal's style to catch manga's style: the style's direction taken with season 1-2 was good (but it needed some improvement) whereas season 3's style drastically changed the direction in something that was moving away from the manga.
This is what I feel, but, of course, this is a just a personal opinion. :smug:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:54 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I hope that, in season 4, they will find a good balance between homaging the manga's art and have a design that is easy to animate.

Probably Yukie Sako's style was too detailed (but, when done right, it was beautiful!!! :love:: unfortunately, it was rarely done right: probably, it works better in pictures than in animated scenes) whereas Akira Takahashi's style was too simplified.
I think both styles have good and bad points: Takahashi's style is really cute and expressive but lacks details and the manga's mature vibe, whereas Sako's style is more manga-like but sometimes too stiff.
There's the chance we will have a totally different style for season 4: if they plan to change the staff for every season, we should be ready for season 4 to change from season 3 the way season 3 changed from season 1-2.
I am really curious to see the new style.

Actually, if I could choose a style, I would take season 1-2 style (in its best shots: when done right it was really gorgeous) but with the new eyes (really expressive).
I'd vote something like this:
Attachment:
dreaming.jpg
dreaming.jpg [ 87.76 KiB | Viewed 2685 times ]

BUT, I think nobody can know how the new season will be. (Probably), a new huge change from season 3?