Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Season 4 - another style?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I personally like the idea of having different art styles every season. It helps keep the show fresh and interesting and keeps it from getting stale from the same directorial style all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:28 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Is this a new art style? It's from the Chocola BB commercials that just debuted.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The animation in those commercials are always sooooo bad. Like it doesn't make sense since they clearly retraced them from her transformation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Attachment:
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg [ 135.23 KiB | Viewed 1542 times ]

Premises: if they announced the upcoming season 4, it means they are already working on it (even if we don't know the staff, yet).

When I looked at this pictures for the first time, I thought it was just a slight change from season 3.

BUT, the more I look at this, the more I realize the changes aren't so “slight”:

- the eyes are totally different both from season 1-2 and season 3, not just the way they are drawn but also the proportion eyes/face (the new eyes are bigger!). We have already seen these new eyes in some other recent commercials, and since I don’t think these new eyes are going to be used just for some commercials here and there, I assume these eyes are the eyes we will see also in season 4: totally new eyes (the best ones, in my opinion: better both than season 1-2 and season 3)

- the mouth is far smaller. No lipstick, but definitively smaller (like season 1-2).

- the nose is smaller and better defined.

- No more lucid spots on cheeks? The excessive shining of season 3 (lucid spots plus eyes) seems definitively gone.

- Colors are far more vivid and not “sort of washed out” as season 3: again, a moving back to season 1-2.

- In the last picture, even if really small, Usagi’s pigtails look a bit different: less thin and a bit more curly (again, back to season 1-2′s style?).

Overall, the changes are an improvement.

Now, we have some options.

OPTIONS 1: season 4 won’t be a total change from season 3 but an improvement. In this case, there’s the chance that the new BB’s commercial is actually the style of season 4. Just an improvement of season 3.

OPTIONS 2: season 4 won’t be a total change from season 3 but a mix of season 1-2 and season 3. In this case, besides the totally new eyes, the smaller mouth and more vivid color can be a hint of this mix, but BB’s commercial isn’t the style we will see in season 4, yet (close, but not the final style, yet).

OPTIONS 3: season 4 will be a total change from season 3 (the way season 3 changed from season 1-2). In this case, BB’s commercial is just a vague hint of the changing: the new eyes, more vivid colors and smaller mouth…. among many other changes (Usagi’s pigtails and skirts… not showed, yet).

We must wait for the fist visual of season 4. ^_^'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm placing my bets that Yukiko Nakatani (Go! Princess Precure, One Piece) is the new character designer for Season 4.

Attachment:
Sailor Moon.png
Sailor Moon.png [ 474.2 KiB | Viewed 1452 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seems legit.
It looks decent.
Too bad they didn't get rid of that long grin and the awful lucid bubbly spots in the hair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Other: TESTAMENT's imouto
Wow, I really like the shading in this new art style! It makes it seem much more vibrant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Don't worry. They still have to follow SS3 style in some ways because this is the collaboration of Chocolate B and SMC SS3 (just look at the logo).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just because the commercial looked like that it doesn't mean that it's the new style for the next season. All of the ads so far have the season 3 logo

Attachments:
IMG_2972.PNG
IMG_2972.PNG [ 198.97 KiB | Viewed 1263 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
If only I could go back in time to 2013 and force Toei to use this artstyle from the very start. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Crystal Moon wrote:
Don't worry. They still have to follow SS3 style in some ways because this is the collaboration of Chocolate B and SMC SS3 (just look at the logo).

I agree.
We can't assume very much about this commercial.
The only thing I am pretty sure is that we will have a change in the character design (because there's a changing in the commercial, still season 3 but with something "boiling down").
We can't know how and how much the design is going to change. There's the (improbable) chance they'll keep this style, though, but I think they wouldn't reveal the new style into a commercial.
And yes: it's SMC SS3 x Chocola BB.
It's interesting to notice the changing (and improvement), anyway. Someone (already working on season 4?) redrew the scene, and the change is obvious (and improving): does it say something of season 4's style? We don't know.
I remember beautiful commercials in season 1-2's style with "something boiling down" ( a slight change... and improvement, probably drew by someone already working on season 3) few before the visual of season 3 was showed, and the change of the visual's style was drastic. There's the (probable) chance of a new drastic change... Unless they will choose a mix of the previous styles (which would be fine, if done right, pleasing everybody: people who liked Sako's style and people enjoying Takahashi's style).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I feel uneasy when looking at the ponytail of Usagi and Makoto in SS3. They just look... unnatural.
Even the crazy hair in the season poster is more "real".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I like how vibrant the new one looks. It sorta looks like a blend of S1 and S3....Hmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
I'm placing my bets that Yukiko Nakatani (Go! Princess Precure, One Piece) is the new character designer for Season 4.

Also for fans of Season 1 and Season 2's more mature style, Yukiko drew frames like this one:

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2015-11-15-18h43m15s151.png
vlcsnap-2015-11-15-18h43m15s151.png [ 341.45 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

Which looks closer to Sako's style than Takahashi. I think she'd do a good job as Chief AD and character designer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

Also for fans of Season 1 and Season 2's more mature style, Yukiko drew frames like this one:

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2015-11-15-18h43m15s151.png

Which looks closer to Sako's style than Takahashi. I think she'd do a good job as Chief AD and character designer.

That shot is overall good, BUT the problem with Yukiko Nakatani (and Takahashi) is the way they draw smiles (oversized and childish, like, again, the previous drawings of Nakatani you showed); besides, I hate this style for hair: characters' hair always look like inflated rubber (because of those big bubble and excessive volumes: unnatural). Basically, I am not a fan of PreCure's style, and I want for Crystal something more unique. :ninja:

Last edited by blu notte on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yukiko's style and that commercial reminds me more of a mix between S3 of Crystal and the 90s anime rather than S3 and S1-2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:56 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
SailorSugababe wrote:
Yukiko's style and that commercial reminds me more of a mix between S3 of Crystal and the 90s anime rather than S3 and S1-2

And THIS would be the WORST scenario: a mix between season 3 (PreCure-ish) and 90's anime :ninja:

I would vote for Keiko Iwata, if she would keep this style:
Attachment:
7a99ee31c2f3be0db81359b06a26ce6b.jpg
7a99ee31c2f3be0db81359b06a26ce6b.jpg [ 44.04 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

Attachment:
tumblr_o4g582BBUG1v0x8nao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o4g582BBUG1v0x8nao1_1280.jpg [ 45.88 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

It's less sharp than Sako and more cute, but not too cute and childish. Both cute and elegant, and this is what I'm looking for season 4. (The Princesses!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^She's good but its hard to say what kind of style would she choose on her own. Her works for second season and third season are almost completely different

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I rather have Crystal has its own unique style than be like precure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
No one said they want Season 4 to look like Precure though. It's a huge show and literally almost everyone in Toei has worked on it at some point in their lives. I simply am confident in Yukiko because she did an excellent job in GoPri and as animation director as well as several shows she worked on. She would not only be a good CD she'd be a good Chief Animation Director as well.

I'd love for Keiko to be the next CD too, but it's clear to me that the newish designs look more like Yukiko than anything Keiko has produced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Seira Hazuki wrote:
No one said they want Season 4 to look like Precure though. It's a huge show and literally almost everyone in Toei has worked on it at some point in their lives. I simply am confident in Yukiko because she did an excellent job in GoPri and as animation director as well as several shows she worked on. She would not only be a good CD she'd be a good Chief Animation Director as well.

I'd love for Keiko to be the next CD too, but it's clear to me that the newish designs look more like Yukiko than anything Keiko has produced.

Yah I know , but I just want it have its own style . :blue: I'm not bashing precure its cute . I se e why its popular with Japanese elementary schoolers.I see why there styles work . I guess that s why I like season 1 , and style so much . Because that a stye you typically don't see in a magical girl show. I don't think she will be ad designer . As long it dosen't look precure , or the 90 s anime 2.0 i'm fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Seira Hazuki wrote:

The point is exactly this. We don't know, yet, if the newish design (the recent commercial) is the design for season 4. That commercial is still in Takahashi's style (with some changes) because they are still promoting season 3. We had commercials in Sako's style until the visual for season 3 was showed.
Unfortunately, we can't assume very much by the Chocola BB's commercial. :smug:
They kept the commercial in sort-of-Takahashi (Precur-ish)'s style because it's still marked as season 3's collaboration.
Maybe season 4 will have the same style of the commercial (so, your idea of Yukiko is valid),but there's also the chance of a new drastic change.
To me, a good balance between Sako and Takahashi would be fine. There are beautiful shots in season 3, the most detailed ones (and I think it was thanks Iwata: Iwata is able to reproduce both Sako and Takahashi's design beautifully.... But I don't know what she would choose if she was asked to create a new design).