* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Confusion about "seasons"
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
So we all agree there's 3 seasons so far of Crystal right? Why is season 3 the only season that states it's a season? It's quite obvious on a lot of media and the opening makes it well known too. There was quite obviously 2 seasons before that but there was no official say-so. Why did this happen? I thought the opening to season 3 was a fan made one when I seen it. :shocked:

Post subject: Re: Confusion about "seasons"
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:50 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
West wrote:
So we all agree there's 3 seasons so far of Crystal right? Why is season 3 the only season that states it's a season? It's quite obvious on a lot of media and the opening makes it well known too. There was quite obviously 2 seasons before that but there was no official say-so. Why did this happen? I thought the opening to season 3 was a fan made one when I seen it. :shocked:

Actually, when it was first aired on the television, they call the first season "Dark Kingdom Part" and the second season "Black Moon Part", as well as "season 1" and "season 2".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 am 
inactive
But if they are calling season 3 "season 3" then one has to assume the first two are 1 and 2. But why brand 3 as 3 when the others were not branded hard as 1 and 2?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:47 am 
inactive
I was told that before the series began airing, the first season was initially marketed as having 26 episodes, hence S1 was initially thought to comprise of both the Dark Kingdom arc and the Black Moon arc. But then they correctly marketed the Death Busters arc as 'season 3', so there lies the confusion. I think Toei may have made a mistake by initially marketing the first 2 seasons together as "season 1" when they should've marketed the Dark Kingdom arc and the Black Moon arc separately as "season 1" and "season 2".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:52 am 
inactive
Would we expect to see these marketed distinctly as season 1, 2 and 3 + sometime in the future? I know they made edits to the animation, would they change the title card to reflect this?

Aside from all of this I didn't think Japan done "seasons" as such.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:
I was told that before the series began airing, the first season was initially marketed as having 26 episodes, hence S1 was initially thought to comprise of both the Dark Kingdom arc and the Black Moon arc. But then they correctly marketed the Death Busters arc as 'season 3', so there lies the confusion. I think Toei may have made a mistake by initially marketing the first 2 seasons together as "season 1" when they should've marketed the Dark Kingdom arc and the Black Moon arc separately as "season 1" and "season 2".

Yeah I was hoping they would have added some much needed filler, plot, character development, characterization and world building to season 1 and all of the seasons. I was of course disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorLinda1 wrote:

I read every news about SMC since 2014. Toei never announced that there were 26 episodes themselves, but that information was printed on a flyer of an anime festival in America (or Europe).

After episode 9 being aired, they announced the key visual of Black Moon Arc and call it "season 2".

So there is nothing to be corrected.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
But seasons 1 and 2 vs season III is very unbalanced:

1 & 2 use the same opening song with basically the same opening visual sequence (save a few minor differences)

III uses three different versions of a new opening song with a different opening visual sequence that slightly changed over the course of the season.

1 & 2 use the same ending song and visual sequence.

III had three completely different ending songs and visual sequences.

1 & 2 use the same eyecatches.

III had its own eyecatches.

1 & 2 had an "A suivre" TBC card at the end of each episode. III did not.

Season III was clearly marketed as such, with the use of the Season III subtitle. "Season 2" (aka Phase 2, the Black Moon arc, etc) had no such obvious subtitle/distinction.

The reason people are a bit confused about Crystal's "seasons" is that the first 26 episodes were formatted as one unit whereas Season III has been formatted in a very different way.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Well, one could also argue that Stars is also pretty different from all the previous four seasons in the 90s anime, but it's still regarded as the 5th season. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MementoNepenthe wrote:
The reason people are a bit confused about Crystal's "seasons" is that the first 26 episodes were formatted as one unit whereas Season III has been formatted in a very different way.

I used to watch SMC on Niconico Japan (I managed to watch it until episode 20) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Unlike European fans, they - Japanese people - clearly knew that they were 2 seasons, not 1. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's why when episode 26 ended, they tweeted "When will we have season 3?", not "When will be have season 2" :keke: :keke: :keke:
The word "Season 2 - Black Moon Arc" usually appeared on the right corner of the official site as well as in the news.
That's a withdraw to who couldn't read Japanese, I think.

Yes, I agree that they treat season 1 and 2 very unfairly. :o :o :o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:28 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Crystal Moon wrote:
Yes, I agree that they treat season 1 and 2 very unfairly. :o :o :o

Well, the medium on which they're 1st released is also very different from that for SIII. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:56 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
West wrote:
Would we expect to see these marketed distinctly as season 1, 2 and 3 + sometime in the future? I know they made edits to the animation, would they change the title card to reflect this?

Aside from all of this I didn't think Japan done "seasons" as such.
I had also assumed that season was mostly an American term and wasn't typically used in Japan. Most other anime use the term cour to refer to a new story arc. The original anime referred to the arcs as series. I feel like it would be more accurate to call the Infitity arc a new series as it has a new art style, new director, and seem to be retconning/ignoring the original storylines from the previous series.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
I feel like Dark Kingdom and Black Moon are season 1 and Infinity is season 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ Well, one could also argue that Stars is also pretty different from all the previous four seasons in the 90s anime, but it's still regarded as the 5th season. :)

Sailor Stars used to be listed on Toei's website as a separate series tough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Well i think we mostly think that a season of an anime series is from the start of the anime to the end. In this case we see that SMC start from the start of Dark Kingdom(Obviously) and end at the end of Black Moon so we counted it as one season but Japan think a season of an anime is they broadcast in three month. SMC Dark Kingdom Arc broadcast exactly in Winter Season 2014 and Black Moon Arc start in the first week of Spring Season 2015. So to Toei it like season two Black Moon air imediately in the next Season
About OP i think its Toei's habit: Conan, One Piece,... change OP very much but DBS using one OP(only changing featured character in OP) nearly two year -.-!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am 
inactive
vietthai96 wrote:
Well i think we mostly think that a season of an anime series is from the start of the anime to the end. In this case we see that SMC start from the start of Dark Kingdom(Obviously) and end at the end of Black Moon so we counted it as one season but Japan think a season of an anime is they broadcast in three month. SMC Dark Kingdom Arc broadcast exactly in Winter Season 2014 and Black Moon Arc start in the first week of Spring Season 2015. So to Toei it like season two Black Moon air imediately in the next Season
About OP i think its Toei's habit: Conan, One Piece,... change OP very much but DBS using one OP(only changing featured character in OP) nearly two year -.-!

I think it also has more to do with the story itself, I mean, season 1 was clearly focused on the 'Dark Kingdom' arc from the manga, while S2 was focused on a completely different story arc and focused on the 'Black Moon' arc from the manga, so it's divided into 2 separate seasons. They did the same thing with the classic 90s anime too, even though each season of the 90s anime was much longer than Crystal (each season of the 90s anime lasted for about 1 year), but the first season was completely focused on the Dark Kingdom arc too, then the second season 'R was mainly about the Black Moon arc. So I think the 'seasons' are probably more determined by each story arc from the manga, with 1 season focusing on 1 particular story arc from the manga.

MementoNepenthe wrote:
But seasons 1 and 2 vs season III is very unbalanced:

1 & 2 use the same opening song with basically the same opening visual sequence (save a few minor differences)

III uses three different versions of a new opening song with a different opening visual sequence that slightly changed over the course of the season.

1 & 2 use the same ending song and visual sequence.

III had three completely different ending songs and visual sequences.

1 & 2 use the same eyecatches.

III had its own eyecatches.

1 & 2 had an "A suivre" TBC card at the end of each episode. III did not.

Season III was clearly marketed as such, with the use of the Season III subtitle. "Season 2" (aka Phase 2, the Black Moon arc, etc) had no such obvious subtitle/distinction.

I think this might be because the first 2 seasons were both directed by Munehisa Sakai, but he was later replaced by Chiaki Kon for S3 onwards and so many things changed in S3, the styles and artwork and direction etc all changed under the new direction by Chiaki. Every director has his/her own different styles and opinions and preferences and different ways of doing things, so with the change of director for S3, many changes were bound to be made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Well i agree with you SailorLinda1. It is the matter of story telling rather than common meaning

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:45 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The episode title card and Sailor V poster remind me this is a same series. =^_^=