Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which footage did Viz get?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:51 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I'm kinda new to this, but I'm wondering if Viz Media got the Bluray footage (good animation) or the TV footage (sloppy animation). I mean, they already got screwed with their Season 1 dub in footage, but do they seem to be getting luckier or not?

Post subject: Re: Which footage did Viz get?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:49 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
in BD\dvd they using Japanese BD(TV) ver.
In TV, Japan used Bluray version

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:40 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
shiroi wrote:
I'm kinda new to this, but I'm wondering if Viz Media got the Bluray footage (good animation) or the TV footage (sloppy animation).

You're thinking of the online version, the Japanese TV version used the Blu-ray masters but added the 10-second sponsor cards to them. This is the version that Viz has since they came with clean versions of those sponsor cards.

Also Viz has the final version of Act 14 which is good because Europe has a different master for that episode which showed a second unfinished version of the Crystal Star Brooch.

Spoiler: show
Japan (online version)

France (also used in Portugal as well)

Japan (Blu-ray/TV version)

US (also used in Australia as well)

Japan (online)

France

Japan (Blu-ray/TV)

US

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
NJ_ wrote:
shiroi wrote:
I'm kinda new to this, but I'm wondering if Viz Media got the Bluray footage (good animation) or the TV footage (sloppy animation).

You're thinking of the online version, the Japanese TV version used the Blu-ray masters but added the 10-second sponsor cards to them. This is the version that Viz has since they came with clean versions of those sponsor cards.

Also Viz has the final version of Act 14 which is good because Europe has a different master for that episode which showed a second unfinished version of the Crystal Star Brooch.

Spoiler: show
Japan (online version)

France (also used in Portugal as well)

Japan (Blu-ray/TV version)

US (also used in Australia as well)

Japan (online)

France

Japan (Blu-ray/TV)

US

Actually the correct one was used in Italy too. However the opening credits did not change during the Black Moon arc... We still wonder why.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Actually the correct one was used in Italy too. However the opening credits did not change during the Black Moon arc... We still wonder why.

Oh really? That's good to know, though I wonder if they had to fight for it knowing what happened in Portugal & France since I've heard Toei's European branch can be difficult to deal with (supposedly more difficult than the American branch) as far as licensing is concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:02 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
NJ_ wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

Oh really? That's good to know, though I wonder if they had to fight for it knowing what happened in Portugal & France since I've heard Toei's European branch can be difficult to deal with (supposedly more difficult than the American branch) as far as licensing is concerned.
It was difficult. They chose everything concerning the Italian editon, they chose to translate the attacks and the transformation phrases and they decided t change Crystal Tokyo in Crystal City even if It was previously stated numerous times that the Story is set in Tokyo. Apparently they changed the lyrics of the Italian version of Moon Pride at the last moment

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

Maybe Toei didn't provide a creditless version for the second opening?

Last edited by Umino on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:10 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:

It wasn't included with the Japanese Blu-ray volumes but Viz was able to get them for the dub streams on Hulu, either that or they edited the credits out themselves (which I believe is easy to do), I guess we'll find out when season 2 is out since they do have a clean opening advertised for that set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Umino wrote:

It wasn't included with the Japanese Blu-ray volumes but Viz was able to get them for the dub streams on Hulu, either that or they edited the credits out themselves (which I believe is easy to do), I guess we'll find out when season 2 is out since they do have a clean opening advertised for that set.

Sadly, I can confirm that it's not included in the Viz sets. Only clean OP1 and the clean ED were included, the same as set 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
KAKERU wrote:
Sadly, I can confirm that it's not included in the Viz sets. Only clean OP1 and the clean ED were included, the same as set 1.

Really? So then what the heck did Viz do? Did they really edit the JP text out themselves for Hulu?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
KAKERU wrote:

Really? So then what the heck did Viz do? Did they really edit the JP text out themselves for Hulu?

It would be shocking if Viz had actually gone through all that editing. Perhaps Toei did provide it but did not allow them to release it for the home media release, or Toei may have provided the English credited version to Viz. If someone could ask Viz or send them a tweet about it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
This is confusing; Viz got the good, improved footage, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^Yes, with the final version of Act 14 as well.