Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Has Crystal disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
GuerreroLuna wrote:
So, they clearly stated this would be a faithful adaptation of the original work and people feel disappointed because it turns out to be a faithful adaptation of the manga :googly: :googly:

^This. I can understand feeling disappointed by the clunky animation (which was fixed for the blu ray release), but feeling disappointed by the fact that this an adaptation of the manga with no filler episodes, is well, unreasonable. :sad:

I thought S3 looked very good. I fell in love with the soundtrack, I thought the animation was very fluid (considering that this is TOEI), and as I have stated repeatedly, I feel that S3 completely exceeded my expectations.

How can you not love the scenes in which the senshi defeat Kaolinite or when Saturn appears and everybody thinks she is going to end the world? I loved the Mistress 9 scenes, as well, with her eyes rolling --so scary! I think Crystal's S3 is better than S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
GuerreroLuna wrote:
So, they clearly stated this would be a faithful adaptation of the original work and people feel disappointed because it turns out to be a faithful adaptation of the manga :googly: :googly:

If a boring book has clearly written "A Boring Book" on its cover, and after reading I'll see that it's indeed boring, I still will feel somewhat disappointed by that book disregardful of the fact that it warned me in advance that it's, well, boring. Your argument is being exactly what? That people have no right to call a boring book boring just because they were warned in advance?

Clow wrote:
^This. I can understand feeling disappointed by the clunky animation (which was fixed for the blu ray release), but feeling disappointed by the fact that this an adaptation of the manga with no filler episodes, is well, unreasonable. :sad:

And if they warned in advance they are going to outsource their animation to a crappy freelance Phillipino studio, would I still have a right to feel disappointed by their clunky animation? Or being warned in advance automatically takes away all my rights to be disappointed by whatever they do? ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:14 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
GuerreroLuna wrote:

If a boring book has clearly written "A Boring Book" on its cover, and after reading I'll see that it's indeed boring, I still will feel somewhat disappointed by that book disregardful of the fact that it warned me in advance that it's, well, boring. Your argument is being exactly what? That people have no right to call a boring book boring just because they were warned in advance?

Clow wrote:

And if they warned in advance they are going to outsource their animation to a crappy freelance Phillipino studio, would I still have a right to feel disappointed by their clunky animation? Or being warned in advance automatically takes away all my rights to be disappointed by whatever they do? ^_^

You don't understand the meaning of disappointment.

Please check a dictionary so your message can be worth reading.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
GuerreroLuna wrote:

Disappointment : The emotion felt when a strongly held expectation is not met.

So, what exactly were your expectations here? Oh yes : filler, monster of the day, moonlight densetsu. Someone will add the Majaiku tree to top it off.

Ridiculous.

Your post doesn't make sense for several reasons:

A) A lot of fans of the manga were disappointed with how little Crystal did to try to improve the manga's flaws and cut out things that made the manga strong to begin with. Plus a lot of them are critical of the romance subplot between the Inners and the Generals. Their disappointment is perfectly valid.

B) Information surrounding Crystal before it aired was very vague. We only knew it was going to be 26 episodes, that they were going to include ideas of Naoko's that were cut from the manga, and at that point and time we only knew it was going to cover the Dark Kingdom arc. While the staff mentioned it was going to be faithful to the manga, 'faithful' itself can mean a lot of things and doesn't mean an exact copy.

C) Not every fan of Sailor Moon is a hardcore moonie and most of them probably had no idea that there was a new Sailor Moon anime until the trailer was released nor did they have any clue of the differences with the manga. When most of them saw the first few episodes and realized it was nothing like the '90s anime they complained or dropped the show completely. But that's not entirely their fault either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:

Well... the fact that this is TOEI animation we are talking about is enough to make everyone set their expectations to low. P-:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

Well... the fact that this is TOEI animation we are talking about is enough to make everyone set their expectations to low. P-:

So the conclusion: it can't be disappointed in any way. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:00 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Season 1: Literally horrible (yes)
Season 2: Even worse (yes)
Season 3: Actually good (no)
Season ?: We'll see.

Post subject: Re: Has Crystal disappointed any of y
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
So the conclusion: it can't be disappointed in any way. :P

I watched some scenes of Dragon Ball Super and it honestly looked like the animators used MS Paint to draw the characters. :unsure:

... and I have heard fans complain about titles other than Dragon Ball Super.

Sailor Moon Crystal Season III was a huge improvement over seasons 1 & 2 and it is definitely above average for TOEI standards. :ohmy: I think we'll be lucky if seasons 4 & 5 are as good as season 3 was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Season 1 - Hated the way the Shittennou "sub-plot" was handled
Season 2 - Fine
Season 3 - Disappointed they changed the art style itself

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 am 
Planeta
Planeta
^I think they had to simplify the designs to make the animation more fluid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Clow wrote:
^I think they had to simplify the designs to make the animation more fluid.

I agree. I think the later animation also made it easier to display humorous gestures and facial expressions from the characters when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
*remember season 3 art style*

yes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Clow wrote:
I watched some scenes of Dragon Ball Super and it honestly looked like the animators used MS Paint to draw the characters. :unsure:

Sailor Moon Crystal Season III was a huge improvement over seasons 1 & 2 and it is definitely above average for TOEI standards. :ohmy: I think we'll be lucky if seasons 4 & 5 are as good as season 3 was.
The latest Digimon Tri movie had some severe animation quality issues and that was a full length feature film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Clow wrote:

The latest Digimon Tri movie had some severe animation quality issues and that was a full length feature film.

Those transformation scenes took waaaayyyy too much time. :sick:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
GuerreroLuna wrote:
You don't understand the meaning of disappointment.

Please check a dictionary so your message can be worth reading.

I did. According to Merriam Webster dictionary, "disappointment" is:
Quote:
* unhappiness from the failure of something hoped for or expected to happen To her disappointment, the cookies were gone.
* someone or something that fails to satisfy hopes or expectations The movie was a disappointment.

Which is exactly the same definition of disappointment I knew before. Now that I double-checked my understanding of basic English vocabulary, will you maybe consider my message to be worth your reading? :ohdear:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Even though I'm happy with Crystal in general so far and I do love it overall, but it has disappointed me slightly in the sense that it still lacks some character-driven episodes. As much as I love Crystal, I'm just disappointed with the fact that it's just too fast-paced because it's focusing too much on the storytelling and not nearly enough on the character-building. Although I understand that Toei just wants to follow the fast pacing of the manga, but I think Crystal just needs a bit more character-driven episodes, if that's in the form of a few filler episodes, then so be it. I think just having a little bit more filler eps that focuses on developing the characters a bit more and fleshing them out more would not hurt, quite the contrary, I think having a bit more character-driven filler eps would actually help improve the overall quality of Crystal, especially when it comes to the characters. Like I have mentioned many times before, while the storytelling is important, but the characters, the character-building or character development is just as important, and so far, Crystal still lacks balance when it comes to developing the characters, there's still too much focus on Usagi, Mamoru, their romance and Chibiusa, and not nearly enough for the other Senshis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
This is why they need to animate the manga side stories.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
It was a disappointment for me. I for one did not want a 100% faithful act for act adaptation for the manga which even Crystal failed to be. I would have been fine if they were more faithful then say the 90s anime was but I would have also liked some filler, character development, characterization, world building and expanding on plots, characters and ideas that weren't really expanded upon especially the villains. The villains on the most part have no real personality, characterization or development other then "ooh look how evil I am." The high ranking Youma Thetis from the 90s first season had more of these things in her short episode the many of the manga villains had at all. I would have liked something more akin to PGSM. Something that was more faithful to the manga but added, filler, character development, characterization and even new stuff to make the series fresh. I would have loved to see new Senshi for instance even though I wasn't really happy with the Sailor Luna stuff in PGSM. It would have made more sense to say make Hina Kusaka into Sailor Sun that would have been an interesting story.

I too would have LOVED, to see some filler, such as trying to fit 1 of my favorite villainesses from the 90's Anime Series, (who unfortunately isn't around in the Manga/Crystal, although I think she could potentially fit in somehow into a later arc, or @least a video game that combines aspects of the Manga/Crystal+the 90's Anime, although @LEAST some key portions of that side-story would need to be altered to fit better with the overall Manga/Crystal Storyline!!):

Image!!

As well as a variant of this character:

Image, (maybe as Tuxedo Kamen's potential Sailor Power Guardian)?!

Also, I wish that the manga/crystal had more explicit yaoi pairings, such as Mamoru X Motoki, &/or Mamoru X Fiore!!

...Which is another of the, (relatively few), things that I feel that the 90's anime did even better than than the Manga/Crystal, as the Manga/Crystal doesn't show us/hint towards, Yaoi, @least in regards to what we can observe... :-( :( :disappointed:

Also, I would very much welcome it if Mamoru were victimized by being attempted to be offered up as a sacrificial victim, @LEAST some of the time, rather than ALWAYS BEING BRAINWASHED, (which @LEAST the R Movie didn't do for a change), which is 1 reason I like Tsukikage No Knight, seeing as he was a portion of Tuxedo Kamen's consciousness who resisted the brainwashing, (amongst other factors)!!

ALSO:

Just in case it's not initially clear, the topic's URL is combined with my avatar image, up above!!

EDIT: Also maybe some content from the Sera Myu Musicals, &/or PGSM?!

Last edited by Tuf Pic on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
Stella
Stella
Other: Married To NQS!

ive posted this video before but this lady pretty much sums up how i feel about Crystal XD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: Mysterious2098Face
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:

ive posted this video before but this lady pretty much sums up how i feel about Crystal XD

sorry to say but me too P-: :-P :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 am 
Luna
Luna
Just disappointed? More like heartbroken. This is me after Crystal debuted. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Sailor Starlight wrote:
Just disappointed? More like heartbroken. This is me after Crystal debuted. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:28 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I was seriously offended by the Dark kingdom arc, but the other 2 were not that bad. My biggest problem with Crystal is that there are almost no character driven episodes. I feel like they should have made each arc into a 26 episodes long season. This way we could have gotten more episodes focused on the characters. Yes, that means that Crystal would have had 13 filler episodes but that does not mean that they would have been bad. They could have hired good writers who would have written great episodes where something important happens (like many episodes in PGSM and the original anime). They could have made episodes that don't seem like filler at all. Things would have been much different. We would have gotten the manga's story + some original episodes that would have fixed most of Crystal's problems.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 am 
Stella
Stella
MoonRaito wrote:
I was seriously offended by the Dark kingdom arc, but the other 2 were not that bad. My biggest problem with Crystal is that there are almost no character driven episodes. I feel like they should have made each arc into a 26 episodes long season. This way we could have gotten more episodes focused on the characters. Yes, that means that Crystal would have had 13 filler episodes but that does not mean that they would have been bad. They could have hired good writers who would have written great episodes where something important happens (like many episodes in PGSM and the original anime). They could have made episodes that don't seem like filler at all. Things would have been much different. We would have gotten the manga's story + some original episodes that would have fixed most of Crystal's problems.

I would have loved that if each season was 26 episodes long that would have been a definite opportunity to add some filler, character development, characterization, plot and world building for the heroes and villains. That is what they should have done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
MariaTenebre wrote:
MoonRaito wrote:

I would have loved that if each season was 26 episodes long that would have been a definite opportunity to add some filler, character development, characterization, plot and world building for the heroes and villains. That is what they should have done.

So, something like PGSM, Maria?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 am 
Stella
Stella
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
MoonRaito wrote:

So, something like PGSM, Maria?

Exactly something like PGSM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: Mysterious2098Face
yes that's what I want too, I know I could just watch PGSM but I specifically want it in anime form

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:13 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Nope. I had to get used to the tramnsformation first, but now that is changed too to better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:33 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Only three things have disappointed me so far:

1. Sailor Moon killing Queen Beryl. In the manga that kill went to Sailor Venus.

2. The whitewashing of Sailor Pluto. In the manga she is considerably darker than the other senshi, while in both anime series she is so light her skin tone is only different by a shade or so.

3. The animation change in season 3. Some folks loved it. I, however, did not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: 田中れいな押し。
Yup. I was let down, after seeing how beautiful the trailer was, with the stunning close ups of Usagi getting ready for school.

It's not because it follows the manga, because I love the manga too. It's the lazy artwork, janky animation, and total disregard of any interpersonal relationships/character development.

The end of the Mugen arc was getting a lot better compared to the Dark Moon arc, and first arc. I'm really hoping for a better direction for the Dream arc..

But even if they end up making the last arcs the most amazing and beautiful adaptions, it's too late. The Crystal series is already too far gone, they totally dropped the ball by being so dirt cheap and lazy from the start.