Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:09 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has Crystal or any aspect of Crystal been done better than you might've imagined?

Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
Chiba is much better in this version over his 90s self, specifically his tuxedo self is better
I was expecting him to be worse than before. :ohmy:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
Chiba is much better in this version over his 90s self, specifically his tuxedo self is better

It has been a while since I last watched it but I'll try to remember some times when I was really impressed.

-I liked how the Senshi were shown fighting and using their attacks in real time
-I enjoyed having the Shittenou have a full arc (even if the ending was underwhelming)
-Often the animation and depiction of manga events were impressive
-The beginning of the third season. I loved how that was split into two episodes and I was very impressed with the expanded fight against the cat daimon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:44 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Yes, I find Crystal's Season III superior to S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It has exceeded my expectation in wait-time between seasons

LOL JK

I just watched the season premiere of Crystal 3, and Jupiter Coconut Cyclone and Venus Wink Chain Sword looked really good. I feel like the season premieres of each season were really well-done and exceeded my expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I did like when season 3 animated some of the new attacks. I loved seeing Mars Snake Fire, Jupiter Coconut Cyclone and Venus Wink Chain Sword animated for the very first time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Most of the Black Moon arc and the Infinity arrc I thought was a lot better than the 90s anime. It was only a few episode of the Dark Kingdom arc where I honestly had any major criticisms with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldnt use word 'exceeded expectations' mainly because Crystal just didnt do anything beyond what we could've expected

Material wise its everything we knew already from the manga. The only time when they tried to do something more it failed badly.

Quality wise first season just wasnt the best animation and writing wise. Second season was better in both regards but the animation still wasnt anything crazy. Third season was a big improvement so in that sense i can say S3 exceeded my expectation after S1-2.

I think it would be better to say if i was impressed by Crystal. Season 1 - no, not really, season 2 - yes, season 3 - yes

Seasons 2-3 were really good and faithful manga adaptations and i was impressed by it. But so far Crystal havent exceeded my expectations

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Yes Crystal has exceeded my expectations or impressed me in some aspects:

1. Rei, Chibiusa and Mamoru are all much better and much more likable and mature in Crystal compared to how they were in the 90s anime.

2. Unlike in the 90s anime, the Shitennou were actually given some backstory in Crystal which made them more interesting to me, unlike in the 90s anime where they were merely just Beryl's disposable pawns.

3. The overall soundtracks and the instrumental music in Crystal are absolutely beautiful and modern, and so much better than the dated & cheesy music in the 90s anime.

4. I also love the updated quality of the artworks, graphics and art style of Crystal, they are much more consistent and cleaner than the 90s anime.

5. The storytelling has been very good in Crystal, not too draggy unlike the 90s anime was.

I'm sure there are many other aspects about Crystal that I like, but these are some of Crystal's main differences to the 90s anime that I'm really impressed with.

Last edited by SailorLinda1 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The scenes & animation of Saturn appearing have done so. :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Absolutely episode 38 (based on Act 37). I was looking forward to that act since I found out about Crystal being produced. I knew from the manga, what to expect, but the animation team hit all the right notes with that episode. It had action, emotional tragedy with Sailor Moon, and once Sailor Saturn appeared, that was the final push to my favorite episode. She had embodied what I always expected of her. Unlike Pharaoh 90, she was beautiful in appearance, but she had an aura of dread surrounding her since she was going to destroy the world. That whole episode was just awesome and I was glad to see it finally animated, and animated so well, too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:04 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Yes it did. I already had liked manga's storyline (I explored it way later than 90's anime) but I found many likeable aspects where I somehow stayed unnoticed while reading manga. It actually made me love Black Moon arc (I hate R). It did not turn out to be a moeblob inferno. Story flows like a river without fillers, that gave me a fresh feeling. Chibiusa is no longer annoying. My girl " :setsuna: " has a great treatment! :love: It is great than there won't be a SuperS story where all those experienced senshi be just like ragdolls against god☹ clowns. I have a feeling that :hotaru: will finally earn her glory too.
I'm happy we have an extra adaptation of its own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Death Metal Papillon wrote:
Chibiusa is no longer annoying.

The character did exceed my expectation, not only not annoying/bratty, but also relatively mature for her appeared age & actually likeable. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Well I won't say it exceeded but it darn sure did bring some new things I liked. For one, it's short run is a blessing and a curse. I like the faster pace a lot but sometimes I did want a little more.

The attacks scenes in S1 and S2 were so epic and added a hint "urgency" to the battles.

I can't believe I'm saying this but my favor of Infinity is leaning towards the Crystal adaptation.

The Senshi can fight good

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:17 pm 
Stella
Stella
Other: Married To NQS!
Prince Rose wrote:

actually I disagree Rose I think Chiba was friggin creepy in crystal that said Crystal let me down immensely but anything done by Toei these days is not really good (except Tiger Mask W I really like that series except when the characters aren't wearing there masks as there kinda bland looking and Digimon Adventure Tri is really good too).

I was so psyched for this series then I watched it, it was way too serious and lacked character development (could of at least given them all some personality), granted Queen Beryl looked better than ever :mischief:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
knowall7 wrote:
Absolutely episode 38 (based on Act 37). I was looking forward to that act since I found out about Crystal being produced. I knew from the manga, what to expect, but the animation team hit all the right notes with that episode. It had action, emotional tragedy with Sailor Moon, and once Sailor Saturn appeared, that was the final push to my favorite episode. She had embodied what I always expected of her. Unlike Pharaoh 90, she was beautiful in appearance, but she had an aura of dread surrounding her since she was going to destroy the world. That whole episode was just awesome and I was glad to see it finally animated, and animated so well, too.

OMG, you are so right. And it was so much entertaining to see more of her in this final fight with Pharaoh 90, rather than just appearing for 30 seconds, jumping into a fireball, then never seeing her again until Stars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
I loved that Crystal gave the Inners their Planet Power transformation and attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Death Metal Papillon wrote:
Yes it did. I already had liked manga's storyline (I explored it way later than 90's anime) but I found many likeable aspects where I somehow stayed unnoticed while reading manga. It actually made me love Black Moon arc (I hate R). It did not turn out to be a moeblob inferno. Story flows like a river without fillers, that gave me a fresh feeling. Chibiusa is no longer annoying. My girl " :setsuna: " has a great treatment! :love: It is great than there won't be a SuperS story where all those experienced senshi be just like ragdolls against god☹ clowns. I have a feeling that :hotaru: will finally earn her glory too.
I'm happy we have an extra adaptation of its own.
I also was glad to see Pluto get more of an expanded role as she was always kind of shafted in the 90s anime and her subplot in the manga was always one of my favorites. I thought Crystal handled her death in a well done and emotional way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Actually, I've thought about it some more and I will say Crystal exceeded my expectations in character design for S1-S2. It looked awful in motion but the designs themselves were beautiful. If anything, I'd say the character designs heightened my expectations when I first saw the promotional material, and then my hopes and dreams were shattered once I watched the episodes :P

Attachments:
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG [ 96.7 KiB | Viewed 3421 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
Yes, for simply existing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
flockapowpow wrote:
Yes, for simply existing.

How true! :cool: But then it's not the only one having done that, but the new musicals, the international revival & re-releases of the anime/manga, & even PGSM too.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Nope. =^_^=

But I still enjoyed it. :googly:

Spoiler: show
Except S1. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Yeah, I genuinely enjoyed Season 3 a lot more than I thought I would.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Princess Viola wrote:
Yeah, I genuinely enjoyed Season 3 a lot more than I thought I would.

Princess Viola, that great. I'm glad you enjoyed Season 3.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:53 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
It met my expectations of being a mostly faithful animated adaption of the manga (with the exception of some cuts and that awful DK sub-plot.)
If anything though , the original art style exceeded my expectations . I personally really liked it and wish it was kept .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yes. I was super happy to get crystal anyways, and I loved it. I had to get to used to the transformations first, but I love the colors and artwork otherwise. :love:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The number one way Crystal exceeded my expectations is by actually giving us a transformation scene for Sailor Saturn. We fans have been demanding it for decades. Toei could have easily skipped over her transformation and probably got away with it too. But they actually came through for us and did it and it was glorious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
The music was a lot better than I expected.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 am 
Stella
Stella
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I loved that Crystal gave the Inners their Planet Power transformation and attacks.

I didn't like that the Inners used their Star Power sticks for their Planet Power transformations or how Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune had no transformational items instead of their 90s Lip Rods. I wished that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune transformed with their Lip Rods and the Inners got Lip Rods as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:

I didn't like that the Inners used their Star Power sticks for their Planet Power transformations or how Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune had no transformational items instead of their 90s Lip Rods. I wished that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune transformed with their Lip Rods and the Inners got Lip Rods as well.

But those Lip Rods didn't exist in manga, did they? If they "invent" items, it won't be Crystal anymore :cool: