Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:08 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4173
Crystal Moon wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I loved that Crystal gave the Inners their Planet Power transformation and attacks.

I didn't like that the Inners used their Star Power sticks for their Planet Power transformations or how Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune had no transformational items instead of their 90s Lip Rods. I wished that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune transformed with their Lip Rods and the Inners got Lip Rods as well.


But those Lip Rods didn't exist in manga, did they? If they "invent" items, it won't be Crystal anymore :cool:

They have invented a lot of stuff in Crystal. Like the inclusion of the Senshi/Shitennou subplot, the Beryl necklace thing. Plus the Mannequin Bride Youma as well Human Luna and Neo Queen Serenity praying. It wouldn't hurt for them to use the Lip Rods for Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune or to give the other Senshi Lip Rods I would fail to see how doing this would make the show "not Crystal" anymore.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Jan 16, 2017
Posts: 153
It met my expectations but it did not exceed them. It gave me what I wanted, a more faithful adaptation of the manga(with its strenghts and weaknesses). No more, no less.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 11, 2013
Posts: 1330
MariaTenebre wrote:
They have invented a lot of stuff in Crystal. Like the inclusion of the Senshi/Shitennou subplot, the Beryl necklace thing. Plus the Mannequin Bride Youma as well Human Luna and Neo Queen Serenity praying. It wouldn't hurt for them to use the Lip Rods for Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune or to give the other Senshi Lip Rods I would fail to see how doing this would make the show "not Crystal" anymore.


But the Lip Rods were the ones made the old anime very "90's" :cool: I can see, while they tried to pay their homage to the old anime with the poses, stock footage..., they keep the items close to the manga. For example, the silver holy grail, instead of the red one.

If they wanted new items, they should invented the new ones, instead of copy the Lip Rods...

The Sakou version of Cutie Moon Rod is very different from both manga and 90's anime. :mrgreen: The heart looks flatter. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2016
Posts: 57
Where I live I only ever saw a maximum of season 1 and 2 of the original anime, by that I mean I missed episodes. I've now rewatched those and part 1 of S which I never saw previously. So I saw Crystal after this and before reading the manga.

I really like it. Apart from being Crystal clear (ha ha pun intended). It was a very different story to the one previously told. I loved how Minako pretended to be the princess with matching crescent. How they handle "upgrades" and ZOMG! Venus' PEN!!!! Where can I get one?!?! Any who... it absolutely explained the story a lot better. It felt more whole. But I also seemed so short after the original anime. Mars' got the raw end of the deal in classic. Two very different people. So much more so little time at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4173
Crystal Moon wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
They have invented a lot of stuff in Crystal. Like the inclusion of the Senshi/Shitennou subplot, the Beryl necklace thing. Plus the Mannequin Bride Youma as well Human Luna and Neo Queen Serenity praying. It wouldn't hurt for them to use the Lip Rods for Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune or to give the other Senshi Lip Rods I would fail to see how doing this would make the show "not Crystal" anymore.


But the Lip Rods were the ones made the old anime very "90's" :cool: I can see, while they tried to pay their homage to the old anime with the poses, stock footage..., they keep the items close to the manga. For example, the silver holy grail, instead of the red one.

If they wanted new items, they should invented the new ones, instead of copy the Lip Rods...

The Sakou version of Cutie Moon Rod is very different from both manga and 90's anime. :mrgreen: The heart looks flatter. :mrgreen:

I don't see how the Lip Rods made the series very 90s anymore then the other transformational items. I personally think they look cool and see no reason why they couldn't have been included in Crystal.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:19 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1413
I thought the thing everyone complained about with season three was too many 90s homages? Wouldn't including the lip rods be even more homages? it seems like a double standard to me that fans complain about the transformations and attacks being too much like the original yet want to bring back the lip rods which was only from the 90s anime. :googly:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 31, 2012
Posts: 2521
Location: Outer Space
Gender: Biseinen Angel
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think most fans just want the best of all SM mediums combined into a nice and affective brand. The realness of the manga combined with the indepth character focus of the 90s with the complexity, action and fresh take of the live version. I figure we can't have it all though. I actually think season 3 did a fairly good job to be honest. Maybe it's the fact that the art is clunky sometimes? Overall, season three is an improvement. Not a huge one but a step in the right direction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:49 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4173
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I think most fans just want the best of all SM mediums combined into a nice and affective brand. The realness of the manga combined with the indepth character focus of the 90s with the complexity, action and fresh take of the live version. I figure we can't have it all though. I actually think season 3 did a fairly good job to be honest. Maybe it's the fact that the art is clunky sometimes? Overall, season three is an improvement. Not a huge one but a step in the right direction.

This if someone combined all of these mediums I would so be here for it. That is what Crystal should have been if not a sequel to the 90s anime.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 24, 2008
Posts: 3536
Gender: Male
Season 1 & 2 : WHY IS SAILOR MOON NOT LIKE THE 90'S PLOT?!
Season 3: WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH 90'S HOMAGES?!

Funny thing is that the questions come from opposite sides of the fanbase.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal exceeded your expectations in any way?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 827
Location: New York
MariaTenebre wrote:
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I loved that Crystal gave the Inners their Planet Power transformation and attacks.

I didn't like that the Inners used their Star Power sticks for their Planet Power transformations or how Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune had no transformational items instead of their 90s Lip Rods. I wished that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune transformed with their Lip Rods and the Inners got Lip Rods as well.


How is it that you can read a thread title called "Has Crystal *exceeded* your expectations in any way?" and then write a post starting with "I didn't like"?

Anything that you didn't like about Crystal is of course perfectly fair and valid, but this is not the thread to be discussing what we didn't like about Crystal. There are other threads for that (and, indeed, most of the entire fandom has spaces for bashing Crystal, warranted or otherwise). Maybe we should stay on topic.

Speaking of being on-topic...

Like it has been mentioned, Crystal *met* my expectations by being a 1:1 manga adaptation, for the most part. It would have been nice to get 26 episodes of just the first arc, but by the time we were done with the first episode, it became very clear that it would be 1:1 and so I altered my expectations.

The character designs exceeded my expectations for both the first two seasons as well as the third season. I genuinely like the designs in seasons one and two even though they were awful in motion, but I also like the "facelift" that Crystal got for its third season because it was way more fluid. The fact that Crystal evolved and listened to the fans really impressed me, so even though I didn't dislike the initial designs, the new style in season three exceeded my expectations.

Showing human Luna for a brief moment when that wasn't really in the manga exceeded my expectations. That was fantastic.

_________________
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."
- The Dalai Lama


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 3 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator