Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Will Season 4 have harder time because of new CCS anime?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cardcaptor Sakura to this day seem to be very popular in Japan, both volume 1 and 2 of Clear Card Arc sold very well, and volume 3 will be bundled together with OVA, with will probably be prologue to Clear Card anime, it will be sequel to old CCS anime, all main actors/actresses confirmed they will reprise their roles. and same director will work on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VySDRbfnev4
My question is, if Crystal S4 will indeed premiere in 2018, won't it have even more harder time competing against CCS? We don't know yet how many episodes Madhouse will produce, or if will be as different as original anime was to manga.

Post subject: Re: Will Season 4 have harder time because of new CCS anime?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I don't think Crystal will lose any fans over it as Crystal fans are mostly in it for the long haul, but I don't think will do it any favors in helping Crystal win over any new fans, as the gap between the professionalism between the two companies will become very obvious when it comes out.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:51 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oh my....I love the Cardcaptor Sakura video....it s almost perfect!! =^_^= =^_^=

But I think that Sailor Moon Crystal is superior...but I love both animes!! :keke:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
kamil88 wrote:
Cardcaptor Sakura to this day seem to be very popular in Japan, both volume 1 and 2 of Clear Card Arc sold very well, and volume 3 will be bundled together with OVA, with will probably be prologue to Clear Card anime, it will be sequel to old CCS anime, all main actors/actresses confirmed they will reprise their roles. and same director will work on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VySDRbfnev4
My question is, if Crystal S4 will indeed premiere in 2018, won't it have even more harder time competing against CCS? We don't know yet how many episodes Madhouse will produce, or if will be as different as original anime was to manga.

OMG Why would they compete there two different companies ? There also two different kinds of show Crystal is a readaptation of the manga . While Cardcaptors is a sequel an adaptation of the new manga arc.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Maybe CCS will force TOEI to set the bar higher...

Nah, I really doubt that TOEI cares about CCS.

I think Sailor Moon will have far more exposure than CCS. I have a feeling that CCS will only be broadcasted in Japan, whereas Sailor Moon Crystal will be broadcasted online.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Why wouldn't CCS be streamed online? Pretty much 99% of all anime gets streamed internationally regardless of popularity and Crunchyroll streams the original series. Of course Sailor Moon will be more popular in the US but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not it will be streamed. As for Japan, CCS is still pretty popular in Japan. NHK just recently did a poll of the top 100 anime to celebrate the past 100 years of anime. CCS scored number 8 in the top 100 whereas Sailor Moon didn't even make it into the top 20.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think Sailor Moons appeal is a lot more broader than CCS. Now if only we could get Toei to raise the bar on Dream Arc...Which we all don't expect them too. Hahaha

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:40 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I have a feeling that we will get Dream + Stars combined.

If CCS is broadcasted online, much like Crystal is, boy, I'll be happy. =^_^=

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:19 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Probably not, because SM has a more diverse fanbase and much more popular than CCS is overall in Japan and overseas, and there would probably be more publicity, marketing and merchandising for Crystal, since it is riding on such a huge and iconic franchise like SM. And SM has some of the most dedicated and loyal fans.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 am 
Planeta
Planeta
SailorLinda1 wrote:
Probably not, because SM has a more diverse fanbase and much more popular than CCS is overall in Japan and overseas...

Sakura is much more loved in Japan than Usagi is. Japan is a completely nation-state and homogeneous country, meaning it is accurate to say that anime studios and TV stations will always think about Japan first. Moreover, the new CCS anime will air through NHK (nationwide and worldwide), whereas Crystal will air online and through the Tokyo Metropolitan Television and other unknown TV channels that are scattered around the country.

Last edited by Clow on Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:50 am 
inactive
that's difficult to believe considering CCS has a smaller fanbase in Japan compared to SM.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:59 am 
Planeta
Planeta
SailorLinda1 wrote:
that's difficult to believe considering CCS has a smaller fanbase in Japan compared to SM.

Nope.

The following poll lists the 20 best anime magical girls, as chosen by 10,000 Japanese fans, and Sailor Moon wasn't even close to the top pick: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/05/14/t ... nese-fans/

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 am 
inactive
Well that poll had 10,000 participants which is quite a sizable amount, but I doubt every anime fan voted, I'm sure the SM fandom is much bigger than just 10,000 fans in Japan, and it says that about 65% of the people polled were male...maybe Usagi is more popular with female fans? Who knows. And I remember reading an article that stated that most SM fans in Japan are female anyway (I'll try to find that article). If more females were surveyed, perhaps the results could've been different.

But even if Usagi is not as popular in Japan as Sakura is, that doesn't necessarily mean CSS is more popular as a franchise than SM in general. The entire anniversary event for SM has been so huge and highly successful beyond comprehension in Japan and Internationally, the many SM anniversary merchandise has been selling like crazy in Japan with more and more constantly coming out. And the SM exhibition in Roppongi attracted over 100,000 visits alone (vast majority of visitors were Japanese). The first episode of Crystal S1 attracted over 1 million views in just 24 hours and it still continues to be one of the most viewed animes online on many Japanese online platforms.

It's difficult to picture CCS beating the kind of huge success that the SM anniversary event has been and the sales of many of SM's merchandise, the amount of exposure of SM in Japan in the last few years is astounding and the response from fans have been huge. I would be really surprised if CCS could top it, but let's wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crystal, but like I said, Crystal will likely be broadcasted through the Tokyo Metropolitan Television and other unknown and obscure TV channels in Japan, whereas the new CCS anime was picked by NHK (which provides nationwide and international coverage). If Crystal was as popular as CCS, then it would get far more coverage in Japan than it does now.

I would say that Sailor Moon is far more popular in the West and in Europe, but in Japan? Not a chance. CCS, despite being on hiatus for 16 years, still gets a lot of attention, and as of recently, everyone's been obsessed with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which is incredible.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The poll separated male and female fans and CCS jumped up to number 7 for female fans and wasn't on the male fan list at all. What we would have to look for is what the age group for the poll is. Most of the top ranking shows on the poll seem to be newer series. Sailor Moon always seemed to be more popular with older fans and younger fans are probably more familiar with CCS. I do find it a bit questionable none of the big name Shonen Jump titles like DBZ or One Piece made it into the top 20 list at all other than Gintama. I'm also surprised CCS scored higher than Digimon. You'd think Digimon would have scored higher with all the spin off shows and merchandise and video games that franchise keeps pumping out every few years.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 am 
inactive
Clow wrote:
I beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crystal, but like I said, Crystal will likely be broadcasted through the Tokyo Metropolitan Television and other unknown and obscure TV channels in Japan, whereas the new CCS anime was picked by NHK (which provides nationwide and international coverage). If Crystal was as popular as CCS, then it would get far more coverage in Japan than it does now.

I would say that Sailor Moon is far more popular in the West and in Europe, but in Japan? Not a chance. CCS, despite being on hiatus for 16 years, still gets a lot of attention, and as of recently, everyone's been obsessed with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which is incredible.

Do you live in Japan? I have several relatives and friends who live in Japan and they tell me that the exposure and popularity of SM has been huge in Japan especially these past few years as the franchise celebrates its anniversary, publicity and marketing of SM and its merchandise are virtually everywhere in Japan, in almost every shop, every major retailer you would find SM products. Why do you think there's just so much SM merchandise and content constantly being released in Japan in these past few years? It's because the demand for SM stuff has been immense in Japan. The 100,000+ visits to the SM exhibition, and the high demand for SM products etc in Japan all prove the highly successful and popularity of the SM franchise in Japan, especially in recent years with the franchise celebrating its anniversary has sparked a lot of renewed interest in SM.

Sure CCS is still quite popular in Japan even though the franchise has been keeping quite a low-profile for many years, but its exposure in Japan is not even close to the amount of exposure SM is getting, SM marketing, exposure and merchandising as been literally everywhere in Japan, everywhere you go you can find something related to SM stacked on store shelves or posters of SM or other types of marketing. CCS not so much, of course you can still find CCS stuff selling in stores, but not even nearly as much as SM stuff. Like I said, SM is literally everywhere in Japan, especially in Tokyo and other major cities in Japan, because the demand is there, and it's huge.

Neon Genesis wrote:
The poll separated male and female fans and CCS jumped up to number 7 for female fans and wasn't on the male fan list at all. What we would have to look for is what the age group for the poll is. Most of the top ranking shows on the poll seem to be newer series. Sailor Moon always seemed to be more popular with older fans and younger fans are probably more familiar with CCS. I do find it a bit questionable none of the big name Shonen Jump titles like DBZ or One Piece made it into the top 20 list at all other than Gintama. I'm also surprised CCS scored higher than Digimon. You'd think Digimon would have scored higher with all the spin off shows and merchandise and video games that franchise keeps pumping out every few years.

Which is why you really have to look at the demographics of polls like this, there are bound to be different people attracted to different animes. If the main demographic of that poll was young or little kids who are more familiar with the newer shows, then that would make the results more understandable. Perhaps if they had surveyed more older anime fans and more female participants, then maybe the results would've been different.

I think SM definitely attracts a more broader demographic and more older fans compared to CCS, especially those who grew up watching the old 90s anime series, and some of these fans tend to introduce SM to their own kids and the younger generation. But I've noticed that many of the people who buy all these SM merchandise are mostly adults or older teenagers, and not as many little kids. It would explain why SM hasn't collaborated with McDonalds to create any SM toys for their Happy Meals (which Bandai always does with Pretty Cure & other popular animes for little kids). Toei and Bandai are aware that SM appeals more to older teenagers and adults, and not necessarily little kids.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 am 
inactive
People also need to remember that just because an anime airs on a smaller or more obscure channel does NOT necessarily mean that it would be less popular or less successful than an anime that airs on a bigger channel. Take Attack on Titan for example, the anime airs on Mainichi Broadcasting System which is a smaller and more obscure channel than NHK, it also airs on Tokyo MX (the same channel that Crystal is airing on), and yet it has become so huge and popular in Japan and worldwide, and is even more popular than some of the animes aired on NHK. NHK has a long history of broadcasting animes, it has been airing animes for many years, and yes while some of the animes aired on NHK have become successful and popular, but there has also been quite a lot of other animes that were aired on NHK which unfortunately were not so successful.

Airing on a major network that broadcasts nationwide does not necessarily guarantee success or popularity, and the opposite is true as well, just because a show airs on a smaller and more obscure network, it does not necessarily mean it would be less successful or popular, AOT proves it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Sailor Moon franchise as a whole (meaning the '90s anime) is significantly more popular than Sakura.

However. we'll have to see how the Clear Card arc does compared to Crystal rather than comparing it to the entire franchise.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nah i dont think CCS and SMC would compete big time if only because SMC season 4 is a continuation and CCS is a new opening for the series after many years.

Im happy for CCS but i wish Clamp would finally do something for X. It seems the last few years have been a bit dry for Clamp as they havent got any anime in a long while and some of their mangas were put on hiatus as usual. Hopefully this new life for CCS will give them some more energy. I love them way too much.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
SailorLinda1 wrote:

Do you live in Japan? I have several relatives and friends who live in Japan and they tell me that the exposure and popularity of SM has been huge in Japan especially these past few years as the franchise celebrates its anniversary, publicity and marketing of SM and its merchandise are virtually everywhere in Japan, in almost every shop, every major retailer you would find SM products. Why do you think there's just so much SM merchandise and content constantly being released in Japan in these past few years? It's because the demand for SM stuff has been immense in Japan. The 100,000+ visits to the SM exhibition, and the high demand for SM products etc in Japan all prove the highly successful and popularity of the SM franchise in Japan, especially in recent years with the franchise celebrating its anniversary has sparked a lot of renewed interest in SM.

I beg to differ, again...

but I will agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:
Well that poll had 10,000 participants which is quite a sizable amount, but I doubt every anime fan voted, I'm sure the SM fandom is much bigger than just 10,000 fans in Japan, and it says that about 65% of the people polled were male...

I think I heard that kind of argument already... somewhere... some time ago. Don't even bother trying to argue, guys. SailorLinda1 is the only reliable statistics authority on anything and everything related to Japan, period. All the polls are complete lie if they dare to disagree. :cthulhu:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Top 10 most beloved anime in Japan, according to NHK poll:

Total
1st TIGER & BUNNY;
2nd Cardcaptor Sakura;
3rd Osomatsu-san;
4th Mahou Shojo Madoka Magika;
5th Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouche;
6th Love Live! (season 1);
7th Neon Genesis Evangelion;
8th Joker Game;
9th Love Live! (season 2);
10th Gintama

Male votes
1st Mahou Shojo Madoka Magika;
2nd Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouche;
3rd Love Live! (season 1);
4th Neon Genesis Evangelion;
5th Love Live! (season 2);
6th Gintama;
7th Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouche R2;
8th Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka;
9th Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu;
10th Shojo Kakumei Utena

Female votes
1st TIGER & BUNNY;
2nd Cardcaptor Sakura;
3rd Osomatsu-san;
4th Joker Game;
5th Love Live! Movie;
6th Sendou Senshi Gundam;
7th Meitantei Conan ;
8th Psycho Pass;
9th Haikyu!!;
10th Shingeki no Kyojin

Sailor Moon didn't even make to the top 50 list. It appears as #60 --and we are talking about the 90's version, not Crystal.

Source: http://www.gurashii.com/best-anime-100- ... way-stage/

Last edited by Clow on Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Honestly, Crystal's 4th season will not have a harder time because of the new CCS anime, and it has NOTHING to do with "popularity" or whatever.

SM is obviously huge in Japan, as the merchandise train from the 20th anniversary hasn't stopped. CCS is also particularly beloved in Japan -- it's been getting new products for the past few years now leading up to the announcement of the new manga.

But these two are not exactly at odds with one another.

Sure, it's possible that the two franchises might be seen as "rivals" but I don't think that's the case in terms of the fans. There is a lot of crossover between CCS fans and SM fans. I know this forum is just a microcosm, but a good example is that there are a lot of CCS fans who post here -- I'm one of them.

The new CCS anime will do well. Crystal's fourth season will probably do well. Which one will do better? That remains to be seen, but it's not exactly a competition -- at least not for fans like us who get to enjoy both of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
John wrote:
...at least not for fans like us who get to enjoy both of them.

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
While I doubt CCS is more popular in Japan than SM as an overall property, it did strike me as odd that in NHK's Best 100 Anime poll where 600,000 Japanese people voted, CCS ranked #8 whereas SM ranked #60.

Could it be that the SM franchise got its reputation damaged by the trainwreck that was SMC?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Sailor Starlight wrote:
While I doubt CCS is more popular in Japan than SM as an overall property, it did strike me as odd that in NHK's Best 100 Anime poll where 600,000 Japanese people voted, CCS ranked #8 whereas SM ranked #60.

Could it be that the SM franchise got its reputation damaged by the trainwreck that was SMC?

Thanks for posting the final results of the poll.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I doubt Crystal has effected fans' love of the 90s anime that much and if anything it seems to have made fans appreciate the 90s anime even more than they used to. I just think Sailor Moon is a much older show than CCS and CCS is probably fresher in the minds of younger fans. If you look at the top titles on the NHK polls and they're all the newest and currently popular titles. I'm just kind of surprised Madoka was so popular with male anime fans at number one but it didn't seem to register with female fans at all. I know Madoka is targeted at male otaku, but it seems like in spite of that, Madoka still seems to have a pretty big female fanbase with anime fans in the U.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
I doubt Crystal has effected fans' love of the 90s anime that much and if anything it seems to have made fans appreciate the 90s anime even more than they used to. I just think Sailor Moon is a much older show than CCS and CCS is probably fresher in the minds of younger fans. If you look at the top titles on the NHK polls and they're all the newest and currently popular titles. I'm just kind of surprised Madoka was so popular with male anime fans at number one but it didn't seem to register with female fans at all. I know Madoka is targeted at male otaku, but it seems like in spite of that, Madoka still seems to have a pretty big female fanbase with anime fans in the U.S.

Different cultures ?It does remind me of anime call DeadMan Wonderland . It was only for one season the manga was longer . It did terriable in Japan, but it did well in the USA. Some anime do better in other countries . As for Crystal :| Realistically speaking hardly any reboots have any effect of the popularity of the old show .If the show is good it will still be popular . I really doubt Sailor Moon not being in a high mark of one poll has anything to do with Crystal?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:19 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Neon Genesis wrote:
I just think Sailor Moon is a much older show than CCS and CCS is probably fresher in the minds of younger fans. If you look at the top titles on the NHK polls and they're all the newest and currently popular titles.

Not really. "Cardcaptor Sakura" is only 4 years older than "Sailor Moon." To prove my point, Nakayoshi was still serializing "Sailor Moon" when the first chapter "Cardcaptor Sakura" came out. "Sailor Moon" was serialized from 1992 to 1997, whereas "Cardcaptor Sakura" was serialized from 1996 to 2000. Thus, both titles, "Sailor Moon" and "Cardcaptor Sakura," belong to the same era.

Neon Genesis wrote:
I'm just kind of surprised Madoka was so popular with male anime fans at number one but it didn't seem to register with female fans at all. I know Madoka is targeted at male otaku, but it seems like in spite of that, Madoka still seems to have a pretty big female fanbase with anime fans in the U.S.

I am not surprised. Madoka is one of the best and most compelling anime I have seen to date.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The anime came out in 98 which puts CCS closer to more recent shows like Pokemon and Digimon and Sailor Moon is closer to older shows like MKR and Slayers. CCS itself was trying to cash in on the monster capturing craze with the Clow Card collecting theme.