Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
White savior would be bad, yes, because people of color are rarely shown as saviors of their own stories *cough* The Great Wall *cough* and Brenda Song is close to 30 years old now

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:43 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
SILVER wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.

They'd likely use something generic like "The Crystal Kingdom/Millenium" or something.
Though it'd be cool if we got a Crystal New Jersey :tongue:

And yes, having a white actress being queen of the world would be a little too White Savior trope for me.

So a White Savior is bad but an Asian Savior is cool. I agree that the idea of a White person being the Queen of Crystal Tokyo would be weird but I see no problem with the show having a White or Asian savior. Hell Usagi could even be cast by a Black girl. However as I have stated before my personal choice actress wise for Usagi would be Asian actress Brenda Song. She was amazing and somewhat Usagi like on the Suite Life series so I thought she would make the perfect Usagi.

Scarlett Johansson should rule Crystal Tokyo. All Black Moon clan members should be black. Then Scarlett Johansson will white-wash purify the Black Moon clan and turn their skin white. Everybody is happy. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.

Except if a sailor moon remake takes place in America. You don't have to say Crystal Tokyo. You can say Crystal empire or make it ambiguous. That s what I would do I'll make the kingdom ambiguous.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Usagi is a blue-eyed blonde herself and Bandai execs have stated in the past that it was one of the reasons she was so popular with japanese girls. So I don't see what would be so bad if an white actress got her part.
The japanese themselves would probably enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
Usagi is a blue-eyed blonde herself and Bandai execs have stated in the past that it was one of the reasons she was so popular with japanese girls. So I don't see what would be so bad if an white actress got her part.
The japanese themselves would probably enjoy it.

Japan doesn't give a F about "whitewashing", I mean, they thought Scarlet was good as the Major 'casue she looked like the character.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

Except the person who wrote The Great Wall was a Chinese person and wanted a white man in the movie :unsure:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm 
Luna
Luna
imaginationgirl wrote:
SILVER wrote:

Except the person who wrote The Great Wall was a Chinese person and wanted a white man in the movie :unsure:

That wasn't the point that I was making though...?
but ...okay.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, just because Asians (in Asia) revere white people doesn't make it any less problematic LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
SILVER wrote:

This.

Also adding in that just because Japanese people may like it, doesn't mean that Japanese-Americans would.

~~~
Adapting Sailor Moon into a story set in America could be a great chance to have a diverse cast and give ignored actors/actresses a chance to shine. To cast all of the senshi as (white) actresses that we've seen 1000 times before would be a waste.

I almost wanna say it could take inspiration from Disney's Big Hero 6, only fix the problems that BH6 had. Hell, just scrap the Hollywood live action film and have another animated series. By Studio Mir

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I still think calling it Crystal Los Angeles or something like that would be all kinds of weird.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
White savior would be bad, yes, because people of color are rarely shown as saviors of their own stories *cough* The Great Wall *cough* and Brenda Song is close to 30 years old now

You do realize on teen shows like Power Rangers, Beverly Hills 90210 etc they tend to cast adults. I mean on Hannah Montana the guy who played her older brother was in his 30s. On Power Rangers I think that David Yost aka Billy was pretty old when he did the show.

SILVER wrote:

Can they speak English? If they can speak English I don't see why they can't reprise their roles.

On non Asian actors I thin Ariana Grande would make an excellent Minako who in the American adaptation I would call Mina. Usagi would keep her name as Brenda is Asian. If Keiko Kitagawa and Chisaki Hama reprise their roles they can keep their Japanese names as well. I definitely would want Rei to be Japanese even in the American adaptation just to keep her Shinto association.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am 
Luna
Luna
I'm saying Brenda is 30 NOW, so she'll be 40 when the movie is made.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
SILVER wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
SILVER wrote:

That wasn't the point that I was making though...?
but ...okay.

You don't have a point. You're saying a white actress can't portray the blue-eyed blondie Sailor Moon is.

I'm latino, and I really don't care which ethnicity the actresses would have in a live-action Sailor Moon movie. If such movie happened and the producers wanted to use it as an opportunity to promote diversity, fine. Nice of their part.
But if they didn't, calling them names would be an attitude expected from someone who doesn't have a clue of what the real world is outside of Tumblr.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:11 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
here's the discourse thread!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:

That sounds pretty ageist. Are you against Sailor Moon promoting age diversity? :o

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:

That sounds pretty ageist. Are you against Sailor Moon promoting age diversity? :o

Let's have Betty White play the role of Naru. :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
rgveda99 wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:

Let's have Betty White play the role of Naru. :rofl:

Only if Sir Ian McKellen and Maggie Smith play Umino and Ami :P

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Y'all talking about Crystal Chicago or whatever when, let's be real, an America Live Action Sailor Moon would probably flop before it even reached the Black Moon arc for a sequel. :lol: :evillaugh:

Edit:

Also, some of the responses here are just... ignorant. Just because Usagi has blonde hair and has blue eyes (in a series where people have green, blue and pink hair and a rainbow of different eye colors) and doesn't look like an Asian stereotype doesn't somehow legitimize casting white people to play them. The main characters are all based on aspects of the life of a Japanese woman and Naoko has gone on record to say that Ami (who also has blue eyes btw) was inspired by Noriko Sakai, a Japanese idol.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Y'all talking about Crystal Chicago or whatever when, let's be real, an America Live Action Sailor Moon would probably flop before it even reached the Black Moon arc for a sequel. :lol: :evillaugh:

Edit:

Also, some of the responses here are just... ignorant. Just because Usagi has blonde hair and has blue eyes (in a series where people have green, blue and pink hair and a rainbow of different eye colors) and doesn't look like an Asian stereotype doesn't somehow legitimize casting white people to play them. The main characters are all based on aspects of the life of a Japanese woman and Naoko has gone on record to say that Ami (who also has blue eyes btw) was inspired by Noriko Sakai, a Japanese idol.

You're being ignorant of the following fact: live-action adaptations of animations aren't documentaries.
If Usagi was a real Japanese person, maybe there would be logic to what you're saying.
And if you respect Japanese people so much, then don't give a final say on what would be disrespectful to them or not. They liked live-action Major from GITS, so even if you didn't, don't act like you have a mentality superior to theirs. They are the ones you're supposedly coming in defense of.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

Edit:

You're being ignorant of the following fact: live-action adaptations of animations aren't documentaries.
If Usagi was a real Japanese person, maybe there would be logic to what you're saying. But she's just a fictional character.

I don't know how much simpler I can break it down for you. Sailor Moon has fictional Japanese characters, with Japanese names, living in Japan and speaking Japanese. Your whole point that Usagi looks white so it's OK to cast a white person is wrong. She is still 100% Japanese regardless of how blonde her hair is or the color of her eyes.

Quote:
And if you respect Japanese people so much, then don't give a final say on what would be disrespectful to them or not. They liked live-action Major from GITS, so even if you didn't, don't act like you have a mentality superior to theirs. They are the ones you're supposedly coming in defense of.

The only person I'm speaking on behalf of is myself... And considering it's an American film, the voices of Japanese-Americans are just as important and a lot have criticized GITS. But again, I'm not going to treat entire races as monoliths in terms of their opinions which is exactly what you're doing.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Seira Hazuki wrote:

I don't know how much simpler I can break it down for you. Sailor Moon has fictional Japanese characters, with Japanese names, living in Japan and speaking Japanese. Your whole point that Usagi looks white so it's OK to cast a white person is wrong. She is still 100% Japanese regardless of how blonde her hair is or the color of her eyes.

The only person I'm speaking on behalf of is myself... And considering it's an American film, the voices of Japanese-Americans are just as important and a lot have criticized GITS. But again, I'm not going to treat entire races as monoliths in terms of their opinions which is exactly what you're doing.

If someone from Hollywood bought the rights to a Sailor Moon adaptation and spent millions on it, they would localize it for the international audiences. As i already said, it would be a piece of entertainment and not educational PBS programming.
If the opinion of a Japanese-American person is just as important as the opinion of a Japanese person, why are you prioritizing one over another? :P
You would be a lot more honest if you just said "hey, I would like Usagi to be played by a asian actress because Sailor Moon is set in Japan". It's just your opinion that some agree and others disagree, after all.
I'm not saying that's your case, but still. The folks have all right to disagree with casting choices in anime Hollywood adaptations, but labeling the producers and directors big racist meanies isn't adult behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Are people unable to have a discussion about a cartoon show for five year olds without being rude and obnoxious to each other? How do you people survive in the real world?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
oh boy

it's time to temp lock this one

Attachments:
here we go again ugh.jpg
here we go again ugh.jpg [ 11.84 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3