Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 999
White savior would be bad, yes, because people of color are rarely shown as saviors of their own stories *cough* The Great Wall *cough* and Brenda Song is close to 30 years old now

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:43 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 11023
Location: Embelyon
MariaTenebre wrote:
SILVER wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.


They'd likely use something generic like "The Crystal Kingdom/Millenium" or something.
Though it'd be cool if we got a Crystal New Jersey :tongue:

And yes, having a white actress being queen of the world would be a little too White Savior trope for me.

So a White Savior is bad but an Asian Savior is cool. I agree that the idea of a White person being the Queen of Crystal Tokyo would be weird but I see no problem with the show having a White or Asian savior. Hell Usagi could even be cast by a Black girl. However as I have stated before my personal choice actress wise for Usagi would be Asian actress Brenda Song. She was amazing and somewhat Usagi like on the Suite Life series so I thought she would make the perfect Usagi.

Scarlett Johansson should rule Crystal Tokyo. All Black Moon clan members should be black. Then Scarlett Johansson will white-wash purify the Black Moon clan and turn their skin white. Everybody is happy. :cool:

_________________
Image
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shoujocity
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo- ... 1128360282


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.

Except if a sailor moon remake takes place in America. You don't have to say Crystal Tokyo. You can say Crystal empire or make it ambiguous. That s what I would do I'll make the kingdom ambiguous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 22, 2016
Posts: 136
Usagi is a blue-eyed blonde herself and Bandai execs have stated in the past that it was one of the reasons she was so popular with japanese girls. So I don't see what would be so bad if an white actress got her part.
The japanese themselves would probably enjoy it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 12, 2015
Posts: 436
kevoso96 wrote:
Usagi is a blue-eyed blonde herself and Bandai execs have stated in the past that it was one of the reasons she was so popular with japanese girls. So I don't see what would be so bad if an white actress got her part.
The japanese themselves would probably enjoy it.


Japan doesn't give a F about "whitewashing", I mean, they thought Scarlet was good as the Major 'casue she looked like the character.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
Posts: 840
Location: Dark Kingdom
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

Except the person who wrote The Great Wall was a Chinese person and wanted a white man in the movie :unsure:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
Posts: 840
Location: Dark Kingdom
imaginationgirl wrote:
SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

Except the person who wrote The Great Wall was a Chinese person and wanted a white man in the movie :unsure:


That wasn't the point that I was making though...?
but ...okay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 999
Yeah, just because Asians (in Asia) revere white people doesn't make it any less problematic LOL

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: May 04, 2017
Posts: 337
Other: The Lone Queen
SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.


This.

Also adding in that just because Japanese people may like it, doesn't mean that Japanese-Americans would.

~~~
Adapting Sailor Moon into a story set in America could be a great chance to have a diverse cast and give ignored actors/actresses a chance to shine. To cast all of the senshi as (white) actresses that we've seen 1000 times before would be a waste.

I almost wanna say it could take inspiration from Disney's Big Hero 6, only fix the problems that BH6 had. Hell, just scrap the Hollywood live action film and have another animated series. By Studio Mir


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1617
I still think calling it Crystal Los Angeles or something like that would be all kinds of weird.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4257
ChibiBoi wrote:
White savior would be bad, yes, because people of color are rarely shown as saviors of their own stories *cough* The Great Wall *cough* and Brenda Song is close to 30 years old now

You do realize on teen shows like Power Rangers, Beverly Hills 90210 etc they tend to cast adults. I mean on Hannah Montana the guy who played her older brother was in his 30s. On Power Rangers I think that David Yost aka Billy was pretty old when he did the show.

SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

Can they speak English? If they can speak English I don't see why they can't reprise their roles.

On non Asian actors I thin Ariana Grande would make an excellent Minako who in the American adaptation I would call Mina. Usagi would keep her name as Brenda is Asian. If Keiko Kitagawa and Chisaki Hama reprise their roles they can keep their Japanese names as well. I definitely would want Rei to be Japanese even in the American adaptation just to keep her Shinto association.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Posts: 999
I'm saying Brenda is 30 NOW, so she'll be 40 when the movie is made.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 22, 2016
Posts: 136
SILVER wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
SILVER wrote:
Just because Japanese people may like it or not doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.
I'm glad that someone cited The Great Wall, because that just shows how white people take any other race out of their own stories. \

If someone's suggesting Brenda Song then I want Keiko Kitagawa back as Mars :tongue: And w/e Ami's actress' name is (sorry xD).

Except the person who wrote The Great Wall was a Chinese person and wanted a white man in the movie :unsure:


That wasn't the point that I was making though...?
but ...okay.


You don't have a point. You're saying a white actress can't portray the blue-eyed blondie Sailor Moon is.

I'm latino, and I really don't care which ethnicity the actresses would have in a live-action Sailor Moon movie. If such movie happened and the producers wanted to use it as an opportunity to promote diversity, fine. Nice of their part.
But if they didn't, calling them names would be an attitude expected from someone who doesn't have a clue of what the real world is outside of Tumblr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:11 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Posts: 584
Location: Atlanta
here's the discourse thread!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 11023
Location: Embelyon
ChibiBoi wrote:
I'm saying Brenda is 30 NOW, so she'll be 40 when the movie is made.

That sounds pretty ageist. Are you against Sailor Moon promoting age diversity? :o

_________________
Image
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shoujocity
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo- ... 1128360282


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6287
Location: Philippines
Maraviollantes wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:
I'm saying Brenda is 30 NOW, so she'll be 40 when the movie is made.

That sounds pretty ageist. Are you against Sailor Moon promoting age diversity? :o



Let's have Betty White play the role of Naru. :rofl:

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
Posts: 840
Location: Dark Kingdom
rgveda99 wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:
I'm saying Brenda is 30 NOW, so she'll be 40 when the movie is made.

That sounds pretty ageist. Are you against Sailor Moon promoting age diversity? :o



Let's have Betty White play the role of Naru. :rofl:


Only if Sir Ian McKellen and Maggie Smith play Umino and Ami :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 17, 2007
Posts: 1626
Y'all talking about Crystal Chicago or whatever when, let's be real, an America Live Action Sailor Moon would probably flop before it even reached the Black Moon arc for a sequel. :lol: :evillaugh:

Edit:

Also, some of the responses here are just... ignorant. Just because Usagi has blonde hair and has blue eyes (in a series where people have green, blue and pink hair and a rainbow of different eye colors) and doesn't look like an Asian stereotype doesn't somehow legitimize casting white people to play them. The main characters are all based on aspects of the life of a Japanese woman and Naoko has gone on record to say that Ami (who also has blue eyes btw) was inspired by Noriko Sakai, a Japanese idol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 22, 2016
Posts: 136
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Y'all talking about Crystal Chicago or whatever when, let's be real, an America Live Action Sailor Moon would probably flop before it even reached the Black Moon arc for a sequel. :lol: :evillaugh:

Edit:

Also, some of the responses here are just... ignorant. Just because Usagi has blonde hair and has blue eyes (in a series where people have green, blue and pink hair and a rainbow of different eye colors) and doesn't look like an Asian stereotype doesn't somehow legitimize casting white people to play them. The main characters are all based on aspects of the life of a Japanese woman and Naoko has gone on record to say that Ami (who also has blue eyes btw) was inspired by Noriko Sakai, a Japanese idol.



You're being ignorant of the following fact: live-action adaptations of animations aren't documentaries.
If Usagi was a real Japanese person, maybe there would be logic to what you're saying.
And if you respect Japanese people so much, then don't give a final say on what would be disrespectful to them or not. They liked live-action Major from GITS, so even if you didn't, don't act like you have a mentality superior to theirs. They are the ones you're supposedly coming in defense of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 17, 2007
Posts: 1626
kevoso96 wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Y'all talking about Crystal Chicago or whatever when, let's be real, an America Live Action Sailor Moon would probably flop before it even reached the Black Moon arc for a sequel. :lol: :evillaugh:

Edit:

Also, some of the responses here are just... ignorant. Just because Usagi has blonde hair and has blue eyes (in a series where people have green, blue and pink hair and a rainbow of different eye colors) and doesn't look like an Asian stereotype doesn't somehow legitimize casting white people to play them. The main characters are all based on aspects of the life of a Japanese woman and Naoko has gone on record to say that Ami (who also has blue eyes btw) was inspired by Noriko Sakai, a Japanese idol.



You're being ignorant of the following fact: live-action adaptations of animations aren't documentaries.
If Usagi was a real Japanese person, maybe there would be logic to what you're saying. But she's just a fictional character.


I don't know how much simpler I can break it down for you. Sailor Moon has fictional Japanese characters, with Japanese names, living in Japan and speaking Japanese. Your whole point that Usagi looks white so it's OK to cast a white person is wrong. She is still 100% Japanese regardless of how blonde her hair is or the color of her eyes.

Quote:
And if you respect Japanese people so much, then don't give a final say on what would be disrespectful to them or not. They liked live-action Major from GITS, so even if you didn't, don't act like you have a mentality superior to theirs. They are the ones you're supposedly coming in defense of.


The only person I'm speaking on behalf of is myself... And considering it's an American film, the voices of Japanese-Americans are just as important and a lot have criticized GITS. But again, I'm not going to treat entire races as monoliths in terms of their opinions which is exactly what you're doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 22, 2016
Posts: 136
Seira Hazuki wrote:

I don't know how much simpler I can break it down for you. Sailor Moon has fictional Japanese characters, with Japanese names, living in Japan and speaking Japanese. Your whole point that Usagi looks white so it's OK to cast a white person is wrong. She is still 100% Japanese regardless of how blonde her hair is or the color of her eyes.


The only person I'm speaking on behalf of is myself... And considering it's an American film, the voices of Japanese-Americans are just as important and a lot have criticized GITS. But again, I'm not going to treat entire races as monoliths in terms of their opinions which is exactly what you're doing.


If someone from Hollywood bought the rights to a Sailor Moon adaptation and spent millions on it, they would localize it for the international audiences. As i already said, it would be a piece of entertainment and not educational PBS programming.
If the opinion of a Japanese-American person is just as important as the opinion of a Japanese person, why are you prioritizing one over another? :P
You would be a lot more honest if you just said "hey, I would like Usagi to be played by a asian actress because Sailor Moon is set in Japan". It's just your opinion that some agree and others disagree, after all.
I'm not saying that's your case, but still. The folks have all right to disagree with casting choices in anime Hollywood adaptations, but labeling the producers and directors big racist meanies isn't adult behaviour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1617
Are people unable to have a discussion about a cartoon show for five year olds without being rude and obnoxious to each other? How do you people survive in the real world?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 25468
Location: in Mobius
Gender: Male
Other: gotta go fast
oh boy

it's time to temp lock this one


Attachments:
here we go again ugh.jpg
here we go again ugh.jpg [ 11.84 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

_________________
Image
Play Sonic and Chill 
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator