Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it too little, too late?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

It could be an animated series done in another country.

I would like to see a western made cartoon, if it worked for Voltron, it could work with Sailor Moon.

I don't think we want Saban Moon.

Anyway, I don't see another adaption in the future.

[Edited by Rika-moth to fix the YouTube image link above.]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:26 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Personally, I'd still LOVE for a Broadway/West End Sailor Moon musical. I love the Myus, but I'd love to see a Sailor Moon musical that was a real spectacle, with lavish sets, props, and all the top of the line SFX Broadway money can buy. Plus, I'd love to see a Sailor Moon musical that showed the girls' awakening as Sailors (which has never been addressed in the Myus) and that featured the side characters like Usagi's family, Naru, Umino, and Motoki.

Or what about a straightforward, non-musical play? Or a ballet? Or a completely sung-through opera? There are so many media left to do adaptations in!

A skating musical would be nice too! :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:

Neither do I. But keep in mind, Saban Moon was made at a time when America "Amercianized" any foreign programme.

If a western adaption was made today, it would be more faithful to its original source, as I noted if the new Western Voltron can succeed then I don't see why a new western cartoon of Sailor Moon couldn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't think it would even have to be a live action show or an American animated series. But I could see someone like Dark Horse make their own full color Westernized Sailor Moon comics somewhere down the road. There's been some American comic book adaptations of classic anime over the years like Robotech and Bubblegum Crisis. It could be neat for Sailor Moon to get it's own Western style comic book with a new art style and original stories.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

Neither do I. But keep in mind, Saban Moon was made at a time when America "Amercianized" any foreign programme.

If a western adaption was made today, it would be more faithful to its original source, as I noted if the new Western Voltron can succeed then I don't see why a new western cartoon of Sailor Moon couldn't.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a holly wood movie. The thing is Voltron was adapted from the American version of Japanese kids cartoon in the 80. Sailor Moon, on the other hand, would be base on a teen manga. Which I imagine will have to have changed for American cartoon standers. (Which I don't mind, but the fans will ). Don't e me wrong I think it could be good . If they do that it will just be different .(I also see it a said adaption will take place in America)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind a holly wood movie. The thing is Voltron was adapted from the American version of Japanese kids cartoon in the 80. Sailor Moon, on the other hand, would be base on a teen manga. Which I imagine will have to have changed for American cartoon standers. (Which I don't mind, but the fans will ). Don't e me wrong I think it could be good . If they do that it will just be different .(I also see it a said adaption will take place in America)

Not necessary, Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra have shown that a mass audience is willing to see Japanese culture in their western shows. (Yes I know, Japan doesn't exist in that world, but their culture is very similar to Japanese culture.)

Last edited by SailorWelshy on Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I believe Sailor Moon is only going to get another animated adaptation after Precure dies.
If there wasn't Precure to begin with, maybe Crystal would have been started as an actual TV show rather than a ONA. And I believe the ONA budget is what ruined it from the get-go.
About a Hollywood movie, Naoko and Osabu already said in a interview to ROLa that they got such offer and turned it down, because the characters would probably end up having little to do with the original source.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

Not necessary, Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra have shown that a mass audience is willing to see Japanese culture in their western shows. (Yes I know, Japan doesn't exist in that world, but their culture is very similar to Japanese culture.)

It's not that similar, but that is a different world. I don't see any reason for American adoption. To be set in Japan it would be kinda pointless especially if you make it American cartoon.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:44 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
I believe Sailor Moon is only going to get another animated adaptation after Precure dies.

But Precure will never die. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:

Do you expect it to become One Piece for girls? P-:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 am 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:
It's not that similar, but that is a different world. I don't see any reason for American adoption. To be set in Japan it would be kinda pointless especially if you make it American cartoon.

I disagree, just because its an American cartoon, doesn't mean that it has to be set in America. Animation in any country is designed to go anywhere it wants. And besides the concept of Sailor Moon is too deep in Japanese culture already. For one thing their battle outfits are based on Japanese Sailor School uniforms, something that America doesn't have. Plus the battle speeches before every fight are based on Japanese folklore.

The only way I can see it being set in America is if they go the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles route, in that Luna spent some time in Japan and passed on what she learnt to the American heroes.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

I disagree, just because its an American cartoon, doesn't mean that it has to be set in America. Animation in any country is designed to go anywhere it wants. And besides the concept of Sailor Moon is too deep in Japanese culture already. For one thing their battle outfits are based on Japanese Sailor School uniforms, something that America doesn't have. Plus the battle speeches before every fight are based on Japanese folklore.

I wouldn't care if the setting was different, as long as it kept the essence of the original: teenage girls with past lives who fight in versions of their school uniforms, in the name of a lost kingdom.
But there could be some multiculturality behind it, like Mars being a priestess descending from a Japanese family.

Last edited by kevoso96 on Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:

Do you expect it to become One Piece for girls? P-:

No, it's animated Super Sentai for girls and it will never die. One Piece will eventually but Precure will not as long as they change things up every year, for the better or worse, and sell toys with their audience buying each time.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am 
Planeta
Planeta
The problem is that you have the words Sailor Moon and the Sailor Senshi.

As I said the name is based on the Sailor school uniforms. If you set it in another country, then their titles don't make any sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:43 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
SailorWelshy wrote:
The problem is that you have the words Sailor Moon and the Sailor Senshi.

As I said the name is based on the Sailor school uniforms. If you set it in another country, then their titles don't make any sense.

I'm pretty sure the casual viewer doesn't know about the sailor fuku thing. Most see the senshi uniforms as cute clothing, without knowing the origins behind it.
Anyway, losing cultural references is part of adaptations produced in other countries. Take Powerpuff Girls Z as an example. Everyone got japanese names.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:48 am 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the casual viewer doesn't know about the sailor fuku thing. Most see the senshi uniforms as cute clothing, without knowing the origins behind it.

That...still doesn't change anything. Its still not going to make any sense.

Quote:
Anyway, losing cultural references is part of adaptations produced in other countries. Take Powerpuff Girls Z as an example. Everyone got japanese names

Names are different, they can be changed easily. I'm talking about the cultural references that can be seen in the title of the franchise alone. Powerpuff Girls can be easily adapted in Japan, because there's nothing about them that screams America.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

The only way I can see it being set in America is if they go the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles route, in that Luna spent some time in Japan and passed on what she learnt to the American heroes.

Ugh not really, its not that deep rooted. The only thing I can see would they might have trouble is rei. The sailor suits are not a big deal. They can wear them no problem . It doesn't really matter because of their battle uniforms. I really doubt an american kid will be confused on why they are wearing sailor suits?

As for power puff girlz. As a huge PPG fan, I disagree with you. That show was very an American show. That had Amerian style of cartooning.( The cartoon even had narrator) PPGz is a good anime, but a lot of it was changed to fit a Japanese anime. The girls were for one older, and magical girls instead. They had weapons regularly

Last edited by imaginationgirl on Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 am 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:
I really doubt an american kid will be confused on why they are wearing sailor suits?

Trust me, there are plenty of westerners (Adults and Children) that are confused by their sailor suits, and why they're called the Sailor Senshi.

Heck, when I ordered my figures and they arrived. My parents asked me why she was called Sailor Moon, and why she was dressed like that.

Quote:
That show was very an American show. That had Amerian style of cartooning

But there was nothing culturally screaming American. The animation can be easily changed. Narration also exists in Japanese anime too, especially ones aimed for children.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
I really doubt an american kid will be confused on why they are wearing sailor suits?

Trust me, there are plenty of westerners (Adults and Children) that are confused by their sailor suits, and why they're called the Sailor Senshi.

Heck, when I ordered my figures and they arrived. My parents asked me why she was called Sailor Moon, and why she was dressed like that.

Quote:
That show was very an American show. That had Amerian style of cartooning

But there was nothing culturally screaming American. The animation can be easily changed. Narration also exists in Japanese anime too, especially ones aimed for children.

Yes, it was, they were a lot thing that screams American. Either way, they changed the show to fit their audience.How would that be bad for sailor moon ?As long as it follows the basic story a change of setting will be alright.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 am 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:

Yes, it was, they were a lot thing that screams American..

Name one thing about the Powerpuff Girls themselves that can ONLY take place in America (I'm not talking about the setting, the animation, the other characters and names, as all of these things can be easily changed) And keep in mind the show has its own version in Japan.

Quote:
How would that be bad for sailor moon ?

Well how would you explain their Sailor Battle suits and why she's called Sailor Moon? Considering that America doesn't have Sailor Suits for school uniforms.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

Yes, it was, they were a lot thing that screams American..

Name one thing about the Powerpuff Girls themselves that can ONLY take place in America (I'm not talking about the setting, the animation, the other characters and names, as all of these things can be easily changed) And keep in mind the show has its own version in Japan.

Quote:
How would that be bad for sailor moon ?

Well how would you explain their Sailor Battle suits and why she's called Sailor Moon? Considering that America doesn't have Sailor Suits for school uniforms.

I know I said PPGZ was a good anime. I also said they changed many things to fit the setting How the girl superheroes were done.The hotline. ( Which was base on phone lines in old cheesy superhero shows).
They don't need them to be a school uniform. We have sailor suits in America. They don't need to be an explanation.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 am 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:

I know I said PPGZ was a good anime. I also said they changed many things to fit the setting How the girl superheroes were done.

Exactly.

Quote:
The hotline. ( Which was base on phone lines in old cheesy superhero shows).

Japan has also seen the Adam West Batman show, and it became hugely popular enough to get its own manga.

Quote:
They don't need them to be a school uniform. We have sailor suits in America.

So what the American show will be set at a Navy Base then?

Quote:
They don't need to be an explanation

Yes there does, you don't just throw things at the screen and expect people to nod their head and accept it. Life doesn't work like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

I know I said PPGZ was a good anime. I also said they changed many things to fit the setting How the girl superheroes were done.

Exactly.

Quote:
The hotline. ( Which was base on phone lines in old cheesy superhero shows).

Japan has also seen the Adam West Batman show, and it became hugely popular enough to get its own manga.

Quote:
They don't need them to be a school uniform. We have sailor suits in America.

So what the American show will be set at a Navy Base then?

Quote:
They don't need to be an explanation

Yes there does, you don't just throw things at the screen and expect people to nod their head and accept it. Life doesn't work like that.

Wesly were talking about a story where a princess who committed suicide. Wars reincarnated as a human . I think Americans would accept the sailor suits just fine . Or maybe this version Usagi dad works at a private school. (I can see that an American version)That has navvy-like uniforms. :P Let us agree to disagree it was fun chatting with you.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 am 
Planeta
Planeta
imaginationgirl wrote:
:P Let us agree to disagree it was fun chatting with you.

Yep. =^_^=

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:42 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I know that the sailor suit is a very "Japanese" concept (though I believe it was because of westernization that they were even introduced to such a thing), but at the same time, most of us watched Sailor Moon's 90s English dub back in the day and we were mostly very young, we didn't know the show was set in Japan and we didn't understand the sailor suit association. We still loved the show.

To be frank, the sailor suit battle uniform doesn't even make sense in the context of the show itself. It's a school uniform. There's no reason why ancient warriors across the galaxy would have such a suit design.

So basically, I see your point, but I also don't think it's as big a deal as you seem to think it is. ^_^'

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If you're gonna complain that much about a need for the sailor uniforms to make sense in an American context, just set the show in the early 1900s when it was quite common for kids to wear sailor style uniforms. They weren't necessarily school uniforms, but they were still incredibly popular outfits for children.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't see the Sailor Uniform being any kind of cultural barrier (I mean... the original anime did well in the West all things considered). The cultural context of it being a girls' school uniform and translating into empowerment for young Japanese girls might fly over some people's heads, but I bet any western adaptation would end up playing up the "sailor" aspect of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd be more concerned about how a remake would handle Crystal Tokyo. A white actress being the queen of Crystal Tokyo would be too awkward but changing the name would raise other issues.

They'd likely use something generic like "The Crystal Kingdom/Millenium" or something.
Though it'd be cool if we got a Crystal New Jersey :tongue:

And yes, having a white actress being queen of the world would be a little too White Savior trope for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:01 am 
Stella
Stella
SILVER wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

They'd likely use something generic like "The Crystal Kingdom/Millenium" or something.
Though it'd be cool if we got a Crystal New Jersey :tongue:

And yes, having a white actress being queen of the world would be a little too White Savior trope for me.

So a White Savior is bad but an Asian Savior is cool. I agree that the idea of a White person being the Queen of Crystal Tokyo would be weird but I see no problem with the show having a White or Asian savior. Hell Usagi could even be cast by a Black girl. However as I have stated before my personal choice actress wise for Usagi would be Asian actress Brenda Song. She was amazing and somewhat Usagi like on the Suite Life series so I thought she would make the perfect Usagi.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next