Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Crystal - New Season Confirmed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm not gonna get preemptively worried about it being movies. The Madoka compilation movies were very long and successfully covered more material. Black Butler went a similar path from doing tv to ovas to a movie and the movie was great. Someone was worried that the episodic format of the manga wouldn't translate well to a movie, but we're anime fans, we don't care about those details. The Black Butler movie had a short intro and then a fight and then the whole rest of the movie was zombie fights. Great ones that developed character mind you, but by starting the climax at the end of the first act and having it continue over the whole movie, jumping past what would have been a year's worth of cliffhangers in the manga, it violated every rule of cinematic structure. AND THE FANS LOVED IT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:56 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
The Madoka compilation movies were very long and successfully covered more material.

Madoka was produced by Shaft, though.

If we want to have high expectations, we should compare the two upcoming Sailor Moon movies to movies made by TOEI --for example, "Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary," which, from my understanding, is an abridged version of several chapters of the manga. Not sure if "Legend of Sanctuary" is a good example, though, because you allegedly have to have read the manga and know the story to grasp what is happening on the screen. But it is a TOEI movie that follows a story based on a manga.

I prefer to be cautious and, therefore, I am not completely discarding the possibility that the films we get may be like the final episodes of the first arc of the first season of Crystal, which were released as a movie and screened in some theaters in Japan.

My experience with SMC has taught me that TOEI is unpredictable and that, as someone who enjoys the show, I should at least be grateful that I am getting something. The people from TOEI could turn their backs on us and say "naw, let's not do Crystal anymore."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:28 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Very well said, Clow! :clap:

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:20 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
If we want to have high expectations, we should compare the two upcoming Sailor Moon movies to movies made by TOEI --for example, "Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary," which, from my understanding, is an abridged version of several chapters of the manga. Not sure if "Legend of Sanctuary" is a good example, though, because you allegedly have to have read the manga and know the story to grasp what is happening on the screen. But it is a TOEI movie that follows a story based on a manga.

I think a better Toei title to compare it to would be Digimon Tri. It's not based off of a manga, but I'm guessing the Dream movie will feel similar to it. (basically a handful of episodes clumped together to make a "movie")

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
Clow wrote:

I think a better Toei title to compare it to would be Digimon Tri. It's not based off of a manga, but I'm guessing the Dream movie will feel similar to it. (basically a handful of episodes clumped together to make a "movie")
More like feature-length presentations that got spliced apart into episode-length "parts" for their online streaming distribution, cuz no way do most of their cut off points before the final ones feel in any way like natural ending points.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agree that Digimon Tri is a better comparison than Saint Seiya.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Ultimately we just don't have enough information and this is too unique of a situation to tell this early how these movies are going to turn out. If the movies turn out bad, then they turned out bad. I'll be disappointed if they do but oh well. I'll just move on with my life and go back to watching other anime and the Seramyu muscals. It just does no good for fandom to keep speculating about what we don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
While this is an interesting turn of events, I am still glad we are getting continuation of the series. I am hopeful that this will be good and that Toei will give us Stars as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:15 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Unlike other arcs, which have open ends, the last panel of Dream arc is very suitable for the end of Crystal if this series doesn't go well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachment:
Sailor Moon Perfect Edition Volume 8 page 238.jpg
Sailor Moon Perfect Edition Volume 8 page 238.jpg [ 50.87 KiB | Viewed 1577 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:16 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens

The "movies" (or OVAs Premiun) of Digimon Adventure Tri isn't a handful of episodes clumpled together.

The story of each OVA is divided in parts for the streaming online, but these parts aren't really episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:49 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Crystal Moon wrote:
Unlike other arcs, which have open ends, the last panel of Dream arc is very suitable for the end of Crystal if this series doesn't go well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly? I won't mind if Crystal ends with this arc. Stars is a total mess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:04 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Zyvik wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

I for one will be absolutely pissed if Crystal doesn't adapt Stars. The Stars arc is the primary reason I was down for a new Sailor Moon anime in the first place (and the Dream arc secondly).

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Okay, Zyvik, I agree that Stars is a mess. John, if Stars were to be adapted, it should spaced out.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:20 pm 
Luna
Luna
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
Okay, Zyvik, I agree that Stars is a mess. John, if Stars were to be adapted, it should spaced out.

At this point I don't care how they adapt Stars, as long as they do it somehow. :tongue:

I do wish everything were a TV anime, though -- I appreciate consistency so even if the Dream movies end up being good, I would still prefer a TV anime. Honestly, I think that having the first two arcs as a web anime airing twice a month was a big mistake. There was no way a big property like Sailor Moon would remain as a web anime so it was obvious it would come to TV sooner or later, and that itself is the beginning of the inconsistencies.

To be perfectly honest, though, I don't feel that "now" is the right time for a new Sailor Moon anime, as the industry is in such a crisis -- but all the same, it seems like every 90s-era anime is coming back in one way or another, so maybe this was the perfect time. I just hope for the best for the Dream movies and the eventual Stars adaptation.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I would be very, very mad if they don't adapt Stars(my favourite arc).... I just hope the movies do well at the box office so we could finally get a proper adaptation of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Will dream arc of crystal will be subtitled and dubbed eventually?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
John wrote:
Zyvik wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

I for one will be absolutely pissed if Crystal doesn't adapt Stars. The Stars arc is the primary reason I was down for a new Sailor Moon anime in the first place (and the Dream arc secondly).

You know I don't it matters how many people think stars iis a mess . Crysta needs to be finish .Stars , ad Drams were the arcs that need a new adaprtion the most.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:19 pm 
Luna
Luna
Kon wrote:

The "movies" (or OVAs Premiun) of Digimon Adventure Tri isn't a handful of episodes clumpled together.

The story of each OVA is divided in parts for the streaming online, but these parts aren't really episodes.

What constitutes an "episode" then?

To me, regardless of how the OVAs are structured, the fact they have split the movie up into 20mins chunks means that they are episodes, same as Futurama season 5. This is done to ready the program for Tv or online broadcast in a to format.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Did they create an opening and an ending for these. Digimon Tri "episodes"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:03 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Crystal Moon wrote:

Attachment:
Sailor Moon Perfect Edition Volume 8 page 238.jpg

One of the reasons why Dream is my favorite and why Stars annoys me. Dream had a nice set up that wrapped up the series and then Stars comes around where I don't feel it's necessary. I can admit Stars has some good material in parts, but you could easily disregard it and end at Dream without feeling like it is leaving things unresolved. DK arc had Chibiusa pop in at the end, BM arc had Usagi receive a new broach and weapon that she didn't use yet, and Infinity arc has Pegasus appear at the end. Dream arc tied things off and didn't hint at a future arc afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Saint Seiya s Legend of Sanctuary movie resumed too much the manga or anime saga...more than 30 episodes of anime and almost 7 manga s tankoubons!! :ohdear: =^_^=

I hope that the 2 Sailor moon Crystal movies from the Dream Arc will be good!! =^_^=

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:31 am 
Luna
Luna
Sera-V wrote:
Kon wrote:

What constitutes an "episode" then?

To me, regardless of how the OVAs are structured, the fact they have split the movie up into 20mins chunks means that they are episodes, same as Futurama season 5. This is done to ready the program for Tv or online broadcast in a to format.

This is a bit off-topic, but as a big Digimon fan with a decent amount of knowledge about that franchise...the Tri movies are NOT episodes. They are movies that are split into episodes for streaming purposes ONLY. We know this because some of the "episodes" end right in the middle of conversations or with extremely awkward scene transitions that don't make any sense. Sometimes the beginnings of the episodes are the endings of the previous episodes which was done to fill out time accordingly, since it couldn't always be done consistently or neatly. In addition, the episodes sometimes actually cut out a few seconds of conversation from the original film version (I believe Mimi has an extra line in the first Tri film that's missing in the corresponding episode).

On the Blu-rays and DVDs, the only version available is the film version.

SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Did they create an opening and an ending for these. Digimon Tri "episodes"?

The opening and ending themes (the songs themselves) are for the movies and the ending sequences are used for the film endings...but yes, Toei did create an opening sequence for the episode versions; HOWEVER, the animation is not original footage made specifically for an opening. It's footage taken from trailers and a few scenes from the first movie.

Tri is a series of films. They are written and directed and storyboarded as films. We're still not 100% sure why they felt the need to create episodic versions for streaming since Crunchyroll can stream feature-length films and it's not like they can't broadcast the films on TV in the future. Additionally, the episodes themselves don't have natural ending points like a typical TV anime would. They were not written with this in mind. A lot of the final scenes in these episodes are random or in the middle of other scenes, or are completely anti-climactic.

It's incorrect to say that Tri is a series of episodes. The episode versions aren't even available for purchase. They're films (OVA films with very brief/limited theatrical runs) that have been split into episodes for streaming purposes ONLY with a lazily created opening sequence (using pre-existing footage) and an ending sequence that doesn't use the full ending song, unlike the film version.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 am 
Luna
Luna
Just read this news. I have mixed feelings about this. The Dream arc is short. It's only 10 chapters long. That's not enough content to fill a TV season if TOEI was going to adapt one chapter an episode like they have been doing. Because of that, the movie format makes sense. On the other hand there's still a lot of content. A 80-90 minute movie doesn't seem like enough to cover it all. I have a sinking suspension that a lot of good content is going to be cut as a result. But maybe not. We'll see. Dream and Stars are the two arcs that I have been waiting to see adapted since Crystal was announced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:23 am 
Luna
Luna
Echelon9 wrote:
Just read this news. I have mixed feelings about this. The Dream arc is short. It's only 10 chapters long. That's not enough content to fill a TV season if TOEI was going to adapt one chapter an episode like they have been doing. Because of that, the movie format makes sense. On the other hand there's still a lot of content. A 80-90 minute movie doesn't seem like enough to cover it all. I have a sinking suspension that a lot of good content is going to be cut as a result. But maybe not. We'll see. Dream and Stars are the two arcs that I have been waiting to see adapted since Crystal was announced.

I believe it's actually 11 chapters, not 10 (as per the latest manga release, anyway; sometimes certain chapters were split up as the series was re-released). That actually IS enough for a TV season of anime since some of the chapters are longer than others. We could've easily gotten one or two two-part episodes like the season 3 premiere. You need to take the page count into consideration.

Also, Dream will be shown in 2 films, not one film of 80-90 minutes (we also don't know how long these films will be).

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 am 
Luna
Luna
John wrote:
I believe it's actually 11 chapters, not 10 (as per the latest manga release, anyway; sometimes certain chapters were split up as the series was re-released). That actually IS enough for a TV season of anime since some of the chapters are longer than others. We could've easily gotten one or two two-part episodes like the season 3 premiere. You need to take the page count into consideration.

True. There are definitely some chapters that are longer than others. But there hasn't been much filler in Crystal either. The norm for TOEI was to adapt 1 chapter per episode. To me it seems that concerns over the length and cost of another TV series might be the driving reasons behind the decision to make a film adaptation instead.

Quote:
Also, Dream will be shown in 2 films, not one film of 80-90 minutes (we also don't know how long these films will be).

I'm aware. I meant two movies. Two 80-90 minute films doesn't seem like enough screen time on paper to do the arc justice. As you said, the films might be longer. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:11 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I cant lie, I am suprised by the two movie consepts. Gonna let that sink in. =^_^=

But honestly, I am just happy we get Crystal. Two movies is better than nothing, and I love Crystal.

Cant wait for them. :love:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I will say this I hope they do not end the series at Dream. I would love to see Stars being adapted. There is so much I wanna see like maybe see what the Senshi of the Animamates home planets look like all though in reality we would probably only be lucky enough to get Sailor Coronis. I would love to see what Sailor Chaos looks like in full color. I would be ecstatic if she had the same color scheme as Chaos Galaxia from the 90s anime as I thought that color scheme had a very evil and dark look and the antithesis to Sailor Cosmos. A dark Black outfit, pale skin, yellow eyes and blood red hair. It just screams evil.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
When i think about it, it kinda make sense to release movies instead of TV series, starting January 2018, sequel of CCS will start, while we dont know yet how many episodes it will have, it will almost certainly, probably, definitely (Thanks Team Four Star :) ) gonna look better than whatever Toei will produce, and we would surely get weekly dose of CCS vs SM. With movies, even if they wont look much better than TV series of S3, it won't be compared so often. I heard one of people responsible for Cristal blocked comments on Twitter, so such comments can bring people down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:57 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kamil88 wrote:
I heard one of people responsible for Cristal blocked comments on Twitter, so such comments can bring people down.

That guy is not at Toei anymore and that was back when Act 12 premiered so it's old news.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
So how much time do you think there will be between the release dates of the two films?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next